Re: Flickr & Creative Commons (also video-sharing sites & Creative Commons)

  • Bill Cammack
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 1, 2008
      Yeah, Marcus. That's the group. :)

      Does anyone know how much they charge? Is it per DAY of checking the net?

      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Markus Sandy <markus.sandy@...> wrote:

      > On Aug 31, 2008, at 3:54 AM, Bill Cammack wrote:
      >
      > > Yeah, Adam's right. Ultimately, this is all bullshit and only comes
      > > into effect if someone does like Prince and hires people to scour the
      > > net looking for instances where someone used your image or sounds and
      > > then pays people to make it so that that situation goes away.
      > >
      > > All you have to do is look on YouTube for gazillions of instances
      > > where people have music in their videos that they didn't secure the
      > > rights to and also video and pictures that they didn't secure the
      > > rights to.
      >

      > sounds like a service
      >
      > oops! someone's already offering it
      >
      > I noticed these folks sniffing around Ourmedia the other day.
      >
      > http://www.websheriff.com/websheriff/services.htm
      >
      > lloks like anyone can be a prince now ;)
      >
      > markus

    • Rupert
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 1, 2008
        You're right, of course. I was assuming that that was understood.

        If you want to stop someone, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act is
        a fairly flawed piece of legislation, but all the big corporate
        bastards are using it to scare companies like YouTube into deleting
        videos and accounts in response to a simple notice of copyright
        infringement. You can do the same. They have to respond. See the
        Wikipedia entry for DMCA, specifically Title II.
        "DMCA... creates a safe harbor for online service providers (OSPs,
        including ISPs) against copyright liability if they adhere to and
        qualify for certain prescribed safe harbor guidelines and promptly
        block access to allegedly infringing material (or remove such
        material from their systems) if they receive a notification claiming
        infringement from a copyright holder or the copyright holder's agent."
        So as copyright holder you can issue a notice to the service provider
        (ISP, host, photo sharing site, wherever) telling them that your
        content is on their servers being used illegally. They have to act.

        But in general, I agree with Adam - let it go. It sounds like
        they're just trying to get lulz from winding you up. Don't feed the
        trolls, etc.

        Rupert
        http://twittervlog.tv

        On 30-Aug-08, at 6:45 PM, Adam Quirk wrote:

        > If All Rights Reserved, then he can't use your photo without your
        > permission, whatever he says.

        Not to split hairs with Mr. Howe, but he definitely *can* use your photo
        without your permission, just not legally. Anything you put on The
        Internet
        can be used without your permission. Nature of the Beast, and in
        general a
        good thing.

        Since you're asking for advice, I suggest getting over it and moving
        on. And
        please don't sue me.

        *Adam Quirk* / Wreck & Salvage <http://wreckandsalvage.com> /
        quirk@... / +1 551.208.4644 (m) / imbullemhead (aim)

      • Rupert
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 1, 2008
          Yeah, but Prince wouldn't have hired WebSherriff.com
          He would've hired Chuck Norris.

          On 31-Aug-08, at 7:18 AM, Markus Sandy wrote:

          On Aug 31, 2008, at 3:54 AM, Bill Cammack wrote:

          > Yeah, Adam's right. Ultimately, this is all bullshit and only comes
          > into effect if someone does like Prince and hires people to scour the
          > net looking for instances where someone used your image or sounds and
          > then pays people to make it so that that situation goes away.
          >
          > All you have to do is look on YouTube for gazillions of instances
          > where people have music in their videos that they didn't secure the
          > rights to and also video and pictures that they didn't secure the
          > rights to.

          sounds like a service

          oops! someone's already offering it

          I noticed these folks sniffing around Ourmedia the other day.

          http://www.websheriff.com/websheriff/services.htm

          lloks like anyone can be a prince now ;)

          markus

        • Ron Watson
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 1, 2008
            OK... I really like the look of the new wall. I'll post some shots
            and some blue screen action soon.

            I have a couple of questions though...

            I'm getting a dark blue aura around all of my talent and props. I
            think it's because I've got a ton of light on the backdrop. What's up
            with that and how can I fix it?

            Does anyone have creative ideas on getting a lot of light on a
            25'x15' stage? We move around a lot in our video...

            Thanks again , Rupert...
            peace,

            Ron Watson
            http://k9disc.blip.tv
            http://k9disc.com
            http://discdogradio.com
            http://pawsitivevybe.com

            On Aug 31, 2008, at 2:01 AM, Ron Watson wrote:

            > Well I went with the Chromakey Blue idea, Rupert, and it looks
            > friggin' great!
            >
            > thanks for the suggestion... I'll be sure to post some video soon.
            >
            > Thanks Rupert!
            >
            > peace,
            > Ron Watson
            > http://k9disc.blip.tv
            > http://k9disc.com
            > http://discdogradio.com
            > http://pawsitivevybe.com
            >
            > On Aug 29, 2008, at 1:34 PM, Rupert wrote:
            >
            > > Astroturf in your studio. How cool is that? I want to get my office
            > > astroturfed.
            > >
            > > Plain bright white is quite a useful colour to paint studio
            > walls, if
            > > they're very smooth and especially because you have highish
            > ceilings.
            > > White backgrounded videos and photos are ubiquitous - people always
            > > seem to respond well to that studio aesthetic.
            > > I got big white and black paper rolls installed in a client's studio
            > > in London and they get a lot of use out of them now.
            > >
            > > On the other hand you could paint them a chroma key blue. Then you
            > > could choose to have a blue background or digitally insert different
            > > backgrounds. I don't know much about the practicality and cost of
            > > that, but you'd find a mass of information on it via Google.
            > >
            > > Rupert
            > > http://twittervlog.tv
            > >
            > > On 29-Aug-08, at 6:48 AM, Ron Watson wrote:
            > >
            > > I'd like some suggestions on the color to paint the wall in our
            > > training studio that we use as a backdrop for our training videos.
            > >
            > > We are getting half of the studio astroturfed and are looking to
            > do s
            > > serious training DVD.
            > >
            > > I've been leaning towards a vibrant, rich blue for the wall colors,
            > > but I'm not sure.
            > >
            > > Any suggestions or other information would be appreciated.
            > >
            > > peace,
            > > ron

          • liza jean
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 2, 2008
              way back when i was working in tv studios chroma key blue had just
              been 'discovered'. nowadays we at dyna-flix use green - usually
              large fabric drops.

              blue is more likely to appear in what you are shooting - eye color,
              blue jeans etc. and cause problems. green does not naturally occur
              on humans.

              backlighting your subjects with a yellow light is likely to reduce
              the 'aura', or at least replace it with a halo. what 'color' light
              are you shooting in? fluorescent is green, halogen is blue,
              incandescent is yellow - if you play around with what color light you
              put where you could eliminate the halo.

              does your software have 'spill supression'?

              as to cheap light, we got two double 8' fluroescent fixtures made
              from porcelain coated steel ( a junkyard find with spare bulbs!) that
              look like something from a Star Wars set. we just stand them up
              against a wall, let them be part of the set. they make all my still
              shots look green, but the video camera white balance can handle them.

              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Ron Watson <k9disc@...> wrote:

              > OK... I really like the look of the new wall. I'll post some shots
              > and some blue screen action soon.
              >
              > I have a couple of questions though...
              >
              > I'm getting a dark blue aura around all of my talent and props. I
              > think it's because I've got a ton of light on the backdrop. What's
              up
              > with that and how can I fix it?
              >
              > Does anyone have creative ideas on getting a lot of light on a
              > 25'x15' stage? We move around a lot in our video...
              >
              > Thanks again , Rupert...
              > peace,
              >
              > Ron Watson
              > http://k9disc.blip.tv
              > http://k9disc.com
              > http://discdogradio.com
              > http://pawsitivevybe.com
              >

              > On Aug 31, 2008, at 2:01 AM, Ron Watson wrote:
              >
              > > Well I went with the Chromakey Blue idea, Rupert, and it looks
              > > friggin' great!
              > >
              > > thanks for the suggestion... I'll be sure to post some video soon.
              > >
              > > Thanks Rupert!
              > >
              > > peace,
              > > Ron Watson
              > > http://k9disc.blip.tv
              > > http://k9disc.com
              > > http://discdogradio.com
              > > http://pawsitivevybe.com
              > >
              > > On Aug 29, 2008, at 1:34 PM, Rupert wrote:
              > >
              > > > Astroturf in your studio. How cool is that? I want to get my
              office
              > > > astroturfed.
              > > >
              > > > Plain bright white is quite a useful colour to paint studio
              > > walls, if
              > > > they're very smooth and especially because you have highish
              > > ceilings.
              > > > White backgrounded videos and photos are ubiquitous - people
              always
              > > > seem to respond well to that studio aesthetic.
              > > > I got big white and black paper rolls installed in a client's
              studio
              > > > in London and they get a lot of use out of them now.
              > > >
              > > > On the other hand you could paint them a chroma key blue. Then
              you
              > > > could choose to have a blue background or digitally insert
              different
              > > > backgrounds. I don't know much about the practicality and cost
              of
              > > > that, but you'd find a mass of information on it via Google.
              > > >
              > > > Rupert
              > > > http://twittervlog.tv
              > > >
              > > > On 29-Aug-08, at 6:48 AM, Ron Watson wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I'd like some suggestions on the color to paint the wall in our
              > > > training studio that we use as a backdrop for our training
              videos.

              > > > We are getting half of the studio astroturfed and are looking
              > > do s
              > > > serious training DVD.
              > > >
              > > > I've been leaning towards a vibrant, rich blue for the wall
              colors,
              > > > but I'm not sure.
              > > >
              > > > Any suggestions or other information would be appreciated.
              > > >
              > > > peace,
              > > > ron

            • Rupert
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 2, 2008
                I don't know, because it's been a long time since i blue/green
                screened anything, but I would guess that if you've got a ton of
                light on the backdrop then you may be getting some reflected blue
                backlight around your subjects which might be causing the aura.

                I think the chromakey apps are pretty clever in the way they handle
                the edges of subjects, and this reflected blue backlight might be
                confusing them. I think this is the spill-suppression that liza jean
                mentioned. You could either try using a lower intensity light to
                light the backdrop - perhaps a few fluorescent strips to get even-
                ness. or backlight the subject so that the light aura around them is
                tungsten/fluorescent instead of reflected blue. i would imagine that
                this would help the chroma filter to recognise the edges of your
                subject.

                As far as I know, Blue is a better chroma colour to use for
                skintones. But I could be wrong.

                I would guess that there's a ton of information available via Google
                for setting this stuff up well.

                Rupert
                http://twittervlog.tv/