Skinning the JW Media Player

  • Michael Verdi
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
      I've been using the JW Media Player for a while and I really like it.
      It will play H.264 files and you can have it fall back to a flv file
      for people who don't have a flash plugin that plays H.264. You can set
      it so the controls disappear like the Vimeo player. It does playlists
      and zillion more things. Version 4 is out today and it includes the
      ability to easily skin it. They have a whole tutorial on it here:
      http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=Skinning_the_JW_Player
      You can download the player here:
      http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=JW_FLV_Media_Player

      Verdi

      --
      http://graymattergravy.com
      http://michaelverdi.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
        Thanks Verdi!

        Very useful!

        Adam W. Warner
        http://indielab.org
        http://wordpressmodder.org

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
          Is there a turorial that shows you how to install it on your site? I
          have been wanting to insall the JW player and use it instead of the
          Vpip flash player because of the mp4 thing but I have to admit, I am
          clueless on how to get it on my site. I have been to the site and I
          just find it a bit confusing, I'm much better at visuals

          Heath
          http://batmangeek.com
          http://heathparks.com

          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Verdi"
          <michaelverdi@...> wrote:

          > I've been using the JW Media Player for a while and I really like it.
          > It will play H.264 files and you can have it fall back to a flv file
          > for people who don't have a flash plugin that plays H.264. You can set
          > it so the controls disappear like the Vimeo player. It does playlists
          > and zillion more things. Version 4 is out today and it includes the
          > ability to easily skin it. They have a whole tutorial on it here:
          > http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=Skinning_the_JW_Player
          > You can download the player here:
          > http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=JW_FLV_Media_Player
          >
          > Verdi
          >
          > --
          > http://graymattergravy.com
          > http://michaelverdi.com

        • Michael Verdi
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
            There is a lot of documentation on the JW site. I wouldn't say it's
            super easy to follow but it's all there. You can also use it with vPIP
            which is what I do on michaelverdi.com

            Verdi

            On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 11:06 AM, Heath <heathparks@...> wrote:
            > Is there a turorial that shows you how to install it on your site? I
            > have been wanting to insall the JW player and use it instead of the
            > Vpip flash player because of the mp4 thing but I have to admit, I am
            > clueless on how to get it on my site. I have been to the site and I
            > just find it a bit confusing, I'm much better at visuals
            >
            > Heath
            > http://batmangeek.com
            > http://heathparks.com
            >
            > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Verdi"
            > <michaelverdi@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> I've been using the JW Media Player for a while and I really like it.
            >> It will play H.264 files and you can have it fall back to a flv file
            >> for people who don't have a flash plugin that plays H.264. You can set
            >> it so the controls disappear like the Vimeo player. It does playlists
            >> and zillion more things. Version 4 is out today and it includes the
            >> ability to easily skin it. They have a whole tutorial on it here:
            >> http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=Skinning_the_JW_Player
            >> You can download the player here:
            >> http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=JW_FLV_Media_Player
            >>
            >> Verdi
            >>
            >> --
            >> http://graymattergravy.com
            >> http://michaelverdi.com

            http://graymattergravy.com
            http://reportsfromthefuture.com
            http://michaelverdi.com
          • Michael Verdi
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
              I'm pretty sure Ryanne's screencast has instructions for using it with
              vPIP (the video is not loading at this second so I can't double check)
              - http://showinabox.tv/2008/02/19/how-to-install-and-use-vpip/
              To make an H.264 video play in the JW flash player, just enter the URL
              for it in the Flash section of the vPIP entry thing instead of a flv
              file.

              You can also define a "fallback" in case people don't have the latest
              flash plugin. To do that just add fallback=URLTOH.264 in the Flashvars
              section.

              Verdi

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
                yea, I saw where you put the URL, I was having trouble figuing out
                how to get to that point. When I have some time this weekend, I am
                going to revisit it. I just got a bit overwhelmed at the site. I
                need the "Installing JW Flash player for dummies book" ;)

                <michaelverdi@...> wrote:

                > I'm pretty sure Ryanne's screencast has instructions for using it
                with
                > vPIP (the video is not loading at this second so I can't double
                check)
                > - http://showinabox.tv/2008/02/19/how-to-install-and-use-vpip/
                > To make an H.264 video play in the JW flash player, just enter the
                URL
                > for it in the Flash section of the vPIP entry thing instead of a flv
                > file.
                >
                > You can also define a "fallback" in case people don't have the
                latest
                > flash plugin. To do that just add fallback=URLTOH.264 in the
                Flashvars
                > section.
                >
                > Verdi
                >
                > On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 11:12 AM, Michael Verdi <michael@...> wrote:
                > > There is a lot of documentation on the JW site. I wouldn't say
                it's
                > > super easy to follow but it's all there. You can also use it with
                vPIP
                > > which is what I do on michaelverdi.com
                > >
                > > Verdi
                > >
                > > On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 11:06 AM, Heath <heathparks@...> wrote:
                > >> Is there a turorial that shows you how to install it on your
                site? I
                > >> have been wanting to insall the JW player and use it instead of
                the
                > >> Vpip flash player because of the mp4 thing but I have to admit,
                I am
                > >> clueless on how to get it on my site. I have been to the site
                and I
                > >> just find it a bit confusing, I'm much better at visuals
                > >>
                > >> Heath
                > >> http://batmangeek.com
                > >> http://heathparks.com
                > >>
                > >> --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Verdi"

                > > http://graymattergravy.com
                > > http://reportsfromthefuture.com
                > > http://michaelverdi.com
                > >

                > --
                > http://graymattergravy.com
                > http://reportsfromthefuture.com
                > http://michaelverdi.com

              • Pete Prodoehl
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
                  Michael Verdi wrote:
                  > I've been using the JW Media Player for a while and I really like it.
                  > It will play H.264 files and you can have it fall back to a flv file
                  > for people who don't have a flash plugin that plays H.264. You can set
                  > it so the controls disappear like the Vimeo player. It does playlists
                  > and zillion more things. Version 4 is out today and it includes the
                  > ability to easily skin it. They have a whole tutorial on it here:
                  > http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=Skinning_the_JW_Player
                  > You can download the player here:
                  > http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=JW_FLV_Media_Player
                  >
                  > Verdi

                  Is the only real open source alternative still FlowPlayer?

                  I like JW player but last I checked, it required a commercial license
                  for many uses.

                  Pete
                • Michael Verdi
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
                    You may be right about FlowPlayer.
                    A commercial license for the JW player is 20 euros a website or 150
                    euros for as many sites as you want. The free version is CC BY-NC-SA.

                    On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 2:24 PM, Pete Prodoehl <raster@...> wrote:
                    > Michael Verdi wrote:
                    >> I've been using the JW Media Player for a while and I really like it.
                    >> It will play H.264 files and you can have it fall back to a flv file
                    >> for people who don't have a flash plugin that plays H.264. You can set
                    >> it so the controls disappear like the Vimeo player. It does playlists
                    >> and zillion more things. Version 4 is out today and it includes the
                    >> ability to easily skin it. They have a whole tutorial on it here:
                    >> http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=Skinning_the_JW_Player
                    >> You can download the player here:
                    >> http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=JW_FLV_Media_Player
                    >>
                    >> Verdi
                    >
                    > Is the only real open source alternative still FlowPlayer?
                    >
                    > I like JW player but last I checked, it required a commercial license
                    > for many uses.
                    >

                    > Pete

                    http://graymattergravy.com
                    http://reportsfromthefuture.com
                    http://michaelverdi.com
                  • Stan Hirson, Sarah Jones
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
                      <michaelverdi@...> wrote:

                      > Version 4 is out today and it includes the
                      > ability to easily skin it.

                      I've been using the older version for a few days and this morning I
                      noticed that my player had changed on http://lifewithhorses.com Just
                      like that. What had been white side bars had changed to black. I've
                      been using the player made by the wizard with swf object rather than
                      html embed on blogger.

                      I love the player and the wizard. However, the documentation is not at
                      all clear (to me, at my level of computer literacy). It makes me feel
                      like an idiot because they use terms that are not defined.

                      I had no warning about the change -- not that I would have been able
                      to do anything about it.

                      I hope that some other documentation comes out.

                      Stan Hirson
                      http://lifewithhorses.com
                    • Ron Watson
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 6, 2009
                        Well, after Jay's question and some thought, I'm looking at going to
                        Jom Social's native video package.

                        It runs Flowplayer and i've seen very little discussion of this app
                        on the list here.

                        Any thoughts out there in videoblogging land on Flowplayer?

                        peace,
                        Ron
                      • Markus Sandy
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 6, 2009
                          On Jul 6, 2009, at 4:46 AM, Ron Watson wrote:

                          > It runs Flowplayer and i've seen very little discussion of this app
                          > on the list here.
                          >
                          > Any thoughts out there in videoblogging land on Flowplayer?

                          Hi Ron,

                          The Internet Archive has been using Flowplayer for quite some time and
                          is doing some cool things with it.

                          You can find various references on their blog to things they have been
                          doing with it

                          http://internetarchive.wordpress.com

                          Markus