Re: [videoblogging] Re: Vloggercamp Who is going?

  • Rupert
    Message 1 of 57 , Jul 1, 2008
      Bill,
      I actually thought that given a bit of cajoling and encouragement,
      the 30+ people who were on the Wiki Front Page (many of whom probably
      thought that they *had* signed up, if not actually committed) would
      have parted with the cash.

      Maybe if we'd had a renewed call of "Gotta register by Friday or it's
      all off" people (myself included) would have pulled their fingers out
      and signed up. I thought we were just building it up again and was
      getting excited about that... I didn't decide to go to Pixelodeon
      until a week before - I think it's the same for a lot of people: we
      wait and see how the wind is blowing until we get an ultimatum and
      somebody saying, "Come on, you lame-ass, ante up!"

      BUT I understand also that you'd already set July 1st as the cut-off
      date and are the one who's putting in all the work and taking the
      risk, so I see where you're coming from and don't blame you.

      If you wanted to give that a go, I'd gladly help you try to rally the
      people who'd signed up already and try to get them to pay up by the
      end of the week.

      Rupert

      On 1-Jul-08, at 5:52 PM, Bill Streeter wrote:

      Nope. It was more like we were down 30. If we had 30 or even 20
      registered I would have kept registration open longer. But with only
      5, it was hard to imagine that another week would have made a
      difference. I was trying to do this with no sponsorship so 35 was the
      minimum to pay for the facility and hire the cook in advance. I was
      trying to pull this thing off just about right at cost. Which I
      thought would a cool thing to do.

      I'm disappointed but what are you gonna do? You try things, some work
      out, some don't. Not a big deal. We're probably gonna do something fun
      in STL that weekend anyway, so if you still want to come you're
      welcome to. It's just not gonna be what we thought it was.

      Bill Streeter
      LO-FI SAINT LOUIS
      www.lofistl.com

      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "missbhavens1969"
      <missbhavens1969@...> wrote:

      > Oh lord love a duck.
      >
      > Tell me it wasn't because you only had 34 and were down one man. I
      > dragged my ass to this cafe for lack of home internet (or
      electricity,
      > for that matter) JUST so I could register. No, seriously, I just got
      > here with my laptop.
      >
      > I am much vexed.
      >
      > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Streeter" <bill@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Well yes, there are KOA's but we were thinking a better alternative
      > > would be hanging with Richard and Maureen in nearby Rolla--that
      would
      > > be for folks who are booked but can't cancel their travel. And I'm
      > > sure Heath and David Meade would be down for that too.
      > >
      > > I think, I'm gonna cancel it. I wouldn't blame anyone for not
      signing
      > > up at this point. Sorry for your trouble.
      > >
      > > I'm sending the money back to those who already paid.
      > >
      > > Bill Streeter
      > >

      > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Jan McLaughlin"
      > > <jannie.jan@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Why do you need 35 people to sign up to cover expenses?
      > > >
      > > > If only 10 or 15 come, host it differently.
      > > >
      > > > There's KOA - <http://www.koa.com/where/mo/13107/> and 3 of
      'em near
      > > > St. Louis. Let folks make their own reservations / share a
      kabin -
      > > > yeah - in the KOA lexicon 'cabins' are 'kabins'.
      > > >
      > > > They even got free wireless in most of 'em.
      > > >
      > > > Cook / shop for yourselves. No need to 'plan' that.
      > > >
      > > > Just a thought.
      > > >
      > > > Jan
      > > >

      > > > --
      > > > Jan McLaughlin