  • adrianlmiles
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 21, 2004
      On 18/06/2004, at 9:41 PM, Steve Garfield wrote:

      That's why I switched to having the video sit on an HTML page of it's
      own.

      Even though I have a template HTML page that I use, I'd prefer to have
      my weblogging tool grab my HTML template and edit the .mov filename.

      ok, first of all use postermovies. make a one frame movie and in the embed tag for the
      .mov just include the href. I'm offline at the moment (and these days embed the href
      inside the movie itself) but visit the apple quicktime tutorial and you'll find the code. it is
      something like href="url of movie" but you also need to specify target=myself (or
      something similar)

      Further, I'd like the tool to be able to upload the new HTML file and
      my pre-compressed video up to my host via FTP.

      ecto on os x, there is a windows version but not sure about its quicktime support.

      I worked on a project before where something like this was done with a
      UNIX command line on the Mac. I bet it would be easy for someone to
      write up an Applescript to do it. I could probably do it.

      BTW, in a recent Wall Street Journal article, the writer said that
      TypePad could store video. I emailed the guy and he told me that yes,
      TypePad can store video.

      not sure what you mean by this. any server can host video, they're just files and it is
      progressive http download that is being used, so unless the mime type has been explicitly
      excluded by a system administrator it will work just fine (and there are simple ways
      around the mime type anyway using quicktime's embed tag).

      the major issue would be space and bandwidth costs, which is why you want to use poster
      movies. my poster movies are usually 12 - 20kb, when clicked on they load video that is
      anything up to 10MB. but the index page has 10 videos on it, total about 10 x 12kb for
      the video content.

      cheers
      Adrian Miles
      hypertext.rmit || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/adrian
      interactive networked video || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog
      research blog || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vlog/