Re: From Mac *TO* PC -- Should I Switch?

  • Heath
    Message 1 of 38 , Jun 9, 2008
      I'm a long time PC user, one of the few it seems on this list
      somedays ;) Anyway, I can't compare apples to apples, but I will
      say that XP is a pretty good operating system, IMO and I have been
      using Vegas for my editing needs since I have started vlogging. Sony
      Vegas is the bomb for PC's, again IMO. One thing I really like about
      Vegas is that it will run really well on a mid range PC, it's stable
      and I think pretty easy to use. If you do decide to switch and do
      get Vegas and have any questions, just let me know, I'm more than
      happy to help out any way I can.

      Heath
      http://batmangeek.com
      http://heathparks.com

      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Stan Hirson, Sarah Jones"
      <shirson@...> wrote:

      > I'm a long-time Apple user. I started with them on a II+ with
      > incursions into DOS and Windows, but for almost 10 years now I have
      > been using Apple and editing on FCP. I have been a satisfied Mac
      user
      > until a couple of years ago when I had various issues with upgrade
      > policies and software glitches caused by upgrades of various Apple
      > programs.
      >
      > I won't go into my list of issues, but in sum I have been less than
      > satisfied with Apple in both depth and candor.
      >
      > I need a new laptop. My 17" PB G4 needs to be upgraded and
      replaced.
      > I just priced a new MacBook Pro 17" and it really comes out to about
      > $4,000 with AppleCare, some software I'll need, etc,. I took a look
      at
      > one yesterday and was impressed. With everything but the price.
      >
      > Up until I no longer trusted Apple, I would have gone for it even at
      > that price.
      >
      > I'm thinking of moving to a PC and using XP Pro and possibly Vegas
      or
      > even Premiere for all my web editing and production. (Pretty much
      > straight cutting, no FX.) How bad can a PC be? There are a lot of
      > people using them. And there is a broader source of support.
      >
      > But I live in the country, about a 2 hour drive or train from NYC,
      so
      > it is a pain for me to browse around different computer stores to
      get
      > a hands on feel for screen quality and software options.
      >
      > I'm wondering if I can get any experience of this group... I've
      never
      > used Vegas or Avid Express and I'm wondering about the difference
      > between that option and Final Cut Express -- I do not need or intend
      > to shell out for Final Cut Pro.
      >
      > Just exploring the options. I'm finding Apple and its store staff
      > arrogant and obnoxious. Is it something I just have to live with?
      Or
      > do some of the other companies that actually have to compete with
      each
      > other provide better products and service?
      >
      > Frustrated in the stix...
      >
      > Stan Hirson
      > http://hestakaup.com

    • kaytoh1414
      Message 38 of 38 , Jun 14, 2008
        About your last point, i'm not sure if i'm reading it correctly, but
        you can use a program called PowerMenu which gives you an option to to
        give an window an attribute of being "always on top"

        http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/PowerMenu.shtml

        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Kath O'Donnell" <aliak77@...>