Re: [videoblogging] Re: Grad Student Research - Profile of a Video Blogger

  • Richard (Show) Hall
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 4, 2008
      Jan,

      I think you make a good point, but, for the record, both are "research"
      (self-report & behavior), as defined by things published in academic
      journals ...

      And, of course, behavioral research, relying on what bloggers do (as opposed
      to what they say) would be very interesting and powerful too, but, there are
      also a lot of interesting things you can learn from what people say.

      In the case of Josh's research, perhaps he plans also collect behavioral
      data and triangulate the two, which would is the best sort, in my view.

      ... best ... Richard (Dr./Professor/King/Ruler of the Universe) Hall

      Richard (Show) Hall
      http://richardshow.org

    • Irina
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 6, 2008
        omg, u used the word "triangulate" and you're not on Law & Order discussing
        cell towers and Central Park!
        i love u

        also, i totally agree

        u cant trust anyone by what they say so a real research of thorough grade
        would indeed triangulate everything

        for example, i go back and forth between smarty pants reporter and total
        idiot :)

        On 6/4/08, Richard (Show) Hall <richard@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > > life, without having videos.
        > > >
        > > > 7. How long does it take you to post (from the idea-> filming->
        > posting)?
        > > > Ideas get written down and thought about. That time varies.
        > > > Shooting... depends. 2 minutes to all day, depending on what's going
        > on.
        > > > Uggh, editing, compressing, converting, uploading, website...
        > > > I continue to improve and shorten my processes to give me more time
        > > > with family and shooting. I could bang out a 3 minute video in say 1/2
        > > > an hour. BUT, it's generally taking closer to 1 or 2 hours.
        > > >
        > > > 8. If you have a site you would like to share (personal or just one
        > > > you like) please list here:
        > > > Sure... http://vlog.mikemoon.net
        > > > Not every video is an award winner, but odds are if you drop by,
        > > > there's going to be a new entry. 500+ videos in the first 2 years.

        http://geekentertainment.tv

      • Pete Prodoehl
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 9, 2008
          joshua.kuss wrote:

          > Questions:
          > 1. How did you get into vlogging?
          I was involved in the beginning of podcasting, and knew at the time that
          video would be the next big thing. I started experimenting with video
          online, and eventually found the vloggers, probably via way of (audio)
          podcasting.

          > 2. How long have you been blogging?
          August of 1997. After Dave Winer, I probably have one of the longest
          running, continually updated blogs. (Not 'journal' or 'diary' but actual
          blog, before that word really existed.)

          > 3. What provides inspiration for your vlog posts?
          I like to experiment with video.

          > 4. How often do you post?
          Not very often nowadays, though in 2005/2006 I tried to post every week
          or so.

          > 5. Is your video blog a business or a hobby?
          I will go with hobby on that one.

          > 6. What motivates you to continue updating your video blog?
          I like to experiment with video.

          > 7. How long does it take you to post (from the idea->filming->posting)?
          Too long... I used to do it all super-fast, but now I want a more
          polished finished product. Yesterday it took me about 3 hours in total.

          blog: http://rasterweb.net/raster/
          vlog: http://tinkernet.org/

          > Thanks in advance! If you want to shoot me an email instead of posting
          > a response, that's cool, too.

          Thanks for asking! :)

          Pete