Re: [videoblogging] Question about hosting your own video's

  • Michael Verdi
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 3, 2008
      It's a pretty similar process. If he's using wordpress, he could
      install vPIP and use that to embed the videos (the URL would come from
      his server instead of blip). Another option is the Flash Video Plugin
      <http://www.mac-dev.net/blog/download-flash-video-player-plugin-for-wordpress/>,
      it's designed to work with the Jeroen Wijering Media Player
      <http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=JW_FLV_Media_Player>.

      - Verdi

      On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 10:31 AM, Heath <heathparks@...> wrote:
      > I have a friend who wants to put video of his kids up on his site using
      > a flash player, but he wants to host the video's locally on his own
      > site. I have talked with him about blip, etc but because of the age of
      > his kids, he is a bit hesitaint..(I know, he is more concerned with the
      > fact people could download the vid, more than people being able to view
      > the video's) anyway..I was hoping someone (s) here had some experience
      > in this matter and would be willing to share some tips. He is using
      > wordpress hosted on his site and wants to be able to embed his flash
      > video's (maybe other types as well) onto his site. Since I use Blip,
      > and have never done the self hosting route, I said I would ask around.
      >
      > Thanks in advance for your help
      >
      > Heath
      > http://batmangeek.com
      > http://heathparks.com

      http://graymattergravy.com
      http://reportsfromthefuture.com
      http://michaelverdi.com
    • Bill Cammack
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 3, 2008
        Also, make sure you inform your friend that FLVs can be pulled off of
        his page anyway. Not to mention, with screen capture programs, all
        you have to do is press record on the program and press play on the video.

        So... He might want to make sure he posts his videos with passwords
        and only gives those passwords to people that he wants to view the videos.

        Bill Cammack
        http://billcammack.com

        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Verdi"
        <michaelverdi@...> wrote:

        > It's a pretty similar process. If he's using wordpress, he could
        > install vPIP and use that to embed the videos (the URL would come from
        > his server instead of blip). Another option is the Flash Video Plugin

        <http://www.mac-dev.net/blog/download-flash-video-player-plugin-for-wordpress/>,
        > it's designed to work with the Jeroen Wijering Media Player
        > <http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=JW_FLV_Media_Player>.
        >
        > - Verdi
        >
        > On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 10:31 AM, Heath <heathparks@...> wrote:
        > > I have a friend who wants to put video of his kids up on his site
        using
        > > a flash player, but he wants to host the video's locally on his own
        > > site. I have talked with him about blip, etc but because of the
        age of
        > > his kids, he is a bit hesitaint..(I know, he is more concerned
        with the
        > > fact people could download the vid, more than people being able to
        view
        > > the video's) anyway..I was hoping someone (s) here had some
        experience
        > > in this matter and would be willing to share some tips. He is using
        > > wordpress hosted on his site and wants to be able to embed his flash
        > > video's (maybe other types as well) onto his site. Since I use Blip,
        > > and have never done the self hosting route, I said I would ask around.
        > >
        > > Thanks in advance for your help
        > >
        > > Heath
        > > http://batmangeek.com
        > > http://heathparks.com

        > http://graymattergravy.com
        > http://reportsfromthefuture.com
        > http://michaelverdi.com

      • Heath
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3, 2008
          yea, I was going to mention that as well...he's still a bit new to
          the whole idea of vlogging, in fact I doubt he thinks that is what he
          is doing... ;) But I wanted to be able to give him options then
          ease into all the benifits that are gained..

          Thanks Michael and Bill..

          Heath
          http://batmangeek.com
          http://heathparks.com

          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Cammack"
          <billcammack@...> wrote:

          > Also, make sure you inform your friend that FLVs can be pulled off
          of
          > his page anyway. Not to mention, with screen capture programs, all
          > you have to do is press record on the program and press play on the
          video.

          > So... He might want to make sure he posts his videos with passwords
          > and only gives those passwords to people that he wants to view the
          videos.

          > Bill Cammack
          > http://billcammack.com
          >
          > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Verdi"
          > <michaelverdi@> wrote:
          > >
          > > It's a pretty similar process. If he's using wordpress, he could
          > > install vPIP and use that to embed the videos (the URL would come
          from
          > > his server instead of blip). Another option is the Flash Video
          Plugin

          > <http://www.mac-dev.net/blog/download-flash-video-player-plugin-for-
          wordpress/>,
          > > it's designed to work with the Jeroen Wijering Media Player
          > > <http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=JW_FLV_Media_Player>.
          > >
          > > - Verdi
          > >
          > > On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 10:31 AM, Heath <heathparks@> wrote:
          > > > I have a friend who wants to put video of his kids up on his
          site
          > using
          > > > a flash player, but he wants to host the video's locally on his
          own
          > > > site. I have talked with him about blip, etc but because of the
          > age of
          > > > his kids, he is a bit hesitaint..(I know, he is more concerned
          > with the
          > > > fact people could download the vid, more than people being able
          > view
          > > > the video's) anyway..I was hoping someone (s) here had some
          > experience
          > > > in this matter and would be willing to share some tips. He is
          using
          > > > wordpress hosted on his site and wants to be able to embed his
          flash
          > > > video's (maybe other types as well) onto his site. Since I use
          Blip,
          > > > and have never done the self hosting route, I said I would ask
          around.

          > > > Thanks in advance for your help
          > > >
          > > > Heath
          > > > http://batmangeek.com
          > > > http://heathparks.com

          > > http://graymattergravy.com
          > > http://reportsfromthefuture.com
          > > http://michaelverdi.com

        • Clintus
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3, 2008
            Some sites like Vimeo and Viddler give you the option to not allow the
            original video files to be downloaded. And both sites give you privacy
            tools such as passwords and secret url's.

            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Heath" <heathparks@...> wrote:

            > I have a friend who wants to put video of his kids up on his site using
            > a flash player, but he wants to host the video's locally on his own
            > site. I have talked with him about blip, etc but because of the age of
            > his kids, he is a bit hesitaint..(I know, he is more concerned with the
            > fact people could download the vid, more than people being able to view
            > the video's) anyway..I was hoping someone (s) here had some experience
            > in this matter and would be willing to share some tips. He is using
            > wordpress hosted on his site and wants to be able to embed his flash
            > video's (maybe other types as well) onto his site. Since I use Blip,
            > and have never done the self hosting route, I said I would ask around.
            >
            > Thanks in advance for your help
            >
            > Heath
            > http://batmangeek.com
            > http://heathparks.com

          • * Jennifer Hall Goodwin *
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 4, 2008
              We do this all day long for ourselves and clients. Send him my way and I'll
              help him out.

              We have used, YouTube, Revver, Blip, AudioAcrobat, PodCast, locally hosted
              etc etc etc.

              Jennifer Goodwin

              <http://www.internetgirlfriday.com/> www.internetGIRLfriday.com
              "Give Us Your Work, We'll Double Your Free Time/Revenue"

              We are a group of Virtual Assistants & Online Marketing Experts:
              administrative assistants, graphic & web designers, bookkeepers,
              travel/event planners, marketing & pr gurus, receptionists,
              computer organizers, lead generators and partners of many business
              vendors...