Question about hosting your own video's

  • Heath
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 3, 2008
      I have a friend who wants to put video of his kids up on his site using
      a flash player, but he wants to host the video's locally on his own
      site. I have talked with him about blip, etc but because of the age of
      his kids, he is a bit hesitaint..(I know, he is more concerned with the
      fact people could download the vid, more than people being able to view
      the video's) anyway..I was hoping someone (s) here had some experience
      in this matter and would be willing to share some tips. He is using
      wordpress hosted on his site and wants to be able to embed his flash
      video's (maybe other types as well) onto his site. Since I use Blip,
      and have never done the self hosting route, I said I would ask around.

      Thanks in advance for your help

      Heath
      http://batmangeek.com
      http://heathparks.com
    • Michael Verdi
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 3, 2008
        It's a pretty similar process. If he's using wordpress, he could
        install vPIP and use that to embed the videos (the URL would come from
        his server instead of blip). Another option is the Flash Video Plugin
        <http://www.mac-dev.net/blog/download-flash-video-player-plugin-for-wordpress/>,
        it's designed to work with the Jeroen Wijering Media Player
        <http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=JW_FLV_Media_Player>.

        - Verdi

        On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 10:31 AM, Heath <heathparks@...> wrote:
        > I have a friend who wants to put video of his kids up on his site using
        > a flash player, but he wants to host the video's locally on his own
        > site. I have talked with him about blip, etc but because of the age of
        > his kids, he is a bit hesitaint..(I know, he is more concerned with the
        > fact people could download the vid, more than people being able to view
        > the video's) anyway..I was hoping someone (s) here had some experience
        > in this matter and would be willing to share some tips. He is using
        > wordpress hosted on his site and wants to be able to embed his flash
        > video's (maybe other types as well) onto his site. Since I use Blip,
        > and have never done the self hosting route, I said I would ask around.
        >
        > Thanks in advance for your help
        >
        > Heath
        > http://batmangeek.com
        > http://heathparks.com

        http://graymattergravy.com
        http://reportsfromthefuture.com
        http://michaelverdi.com
      • Bill Cammack
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3, 2008
          Also, make sure you inform your friend that FLVs can be pulled off of
          his page anyway. Not to mention, with screen capture programs, all
          you have to do is press record on the program and press play on the video.

          So... He might want to make sure he posts his videos with passwords
          and only gives those passwords to people that he wants to view the videos.

          Bill Cammack
          http://billcammack.com

          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Verdi"
          <michaelverdi@...> wrote:

          > It's a pretty similar process. If he's using wordpress, he could
          > install vPIP and use that to embed the videos (the URL would come from
          > his server instead of blip). Another option is the Flash Video Plugin

          <http://www.mac-dev.net/blog/download-flash-video-player-plugin-for-wordpress/>,
          > it's designed to work with the Jeroen Wijering Media Player
          > <http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=JW_FLV_Media_Player>.
          >
          > - Verdi
          >
          > On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 10:31 AM, Heath <heathparks@...> wrote:
          > > I have a friend who wants to put video of his kids up on his site
          using
          > > a flash player, but he wants to host the video's locally on his own
          > > site. I have talked with him about blip, etc but because of the
          age of
          > > his kids, he is a bit hesitaint..(I know, he is more concerned
          with the
          > > fact people could download the vid, more than people being able to
          view
          > > the video's) anyway..I was hoping someone (s) here had some
          experience
          > > in this matter and would be willing to share some tips. He is using
          > > wordpress hosted on his site and wants to be able to embed his flash
          > > video's (maybe other types as well) onto his site. Since I use Blip,
          > > and have never done the self hosting route, I said I would ask around.
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance for your help
          > >
          > > Heath
          > > http://batmangeek.com
          > > http://heathparks.com

          > http://graymattergravy.com
          > http://reportsfromthefuture.com
          > http://michaelverdi.com

        • Heath
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3, 2008
            yea, I was going to mention that as well...he's still a bit new to
            the whole idea of vlogging, in fact I doubt he thinks that is what he
            is doing... ;) But I wanted to be able to give him options then
            ease into all the benifits that are gained..

            Thanks Michael and Bill..

            Heath
            http://batmangeek.com
            http://heathparks.com

            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Cammack"
            <billcammack@...> wrote:

            > Also, make sure you inform your friend that FLVs can be pulled off
            of
            > his page anyway. Not to mention, with screen capture programs, all
            > you have to do is press record on the program and press play on the
            video.

            > So... He might want to make sure he posts his videos with passwords
            > and only gives those passwords to people that he wants to view the
            videos.

            > Bill Cammack
            > http://billcammack.com
            >
            > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Verdi"
            > <michaelverdi@> wrote:
            > >
            > > It's a pretty similar process. If he's using wordpress, he could
            > > install vPIP and use that to embed the videos (the URL would come
            from
            > > his server instead of blip). Another option is the Flash Video
            Plugin

            > <http://www.mac-dev.net/blog/download-flash-video-player-plugin-for-
            wordpress/>,
            > > it's designed to work with the Jeroen Wijering Media Player
            > > <http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=JW_FLV_Media_Player>.
            > >
            > > - Verdi
            > >
            > > On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 10:31 AM, Heath <heathparks@> wrote:
            > > > I have a friend who wants to put video of his kids up on his
            site
            > using
            > > > a flash player, but he wants to host the video's locally on his
            own
            > > > site. I have talked with him about blip, etc but because of the
            > age of
            > > > his kids, he is a bit hesitaint..(I know, he is more concerned
            > with the
            > > > fact people could download the vid, more than people being able
            > view
            > > > the video's) anyway..I was hoping someone (s) here had some
            > experience
            > > > in this matter and would be willing to share some tips. He is
            using
            > > > wordpress hosted on his site and wants to be able to embed his
            flash
            > > > video's (maybe other types as well) onto his site. Since I use
            Blip,
            > > > and have never done the self hosting route, I said I would ask
            around.

            > > > Thanks in advance for your help
            > > >
            > > > Heath
            > > > http://batmangeek.com
            > > > http://heathparks.com

            > > http://graymattergravy.com
            > > http://reportsfromthefuture.com
            > > http://michaelverdi.com

          • Clintus
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3, 2008
              Some sites like Vimeo and Viddler give you the option to not allow the
              original video files to be downloaded. And both sites give you privacy
              tools such as passwords and secret url's.

              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Heath" <heathparks@...> wrote:

              > I have a friend who wants to put video of his kids up on his site using
              > a flash player, but he wants to host the video's locally on his own
              > site. I have talked with him about blip, etc but because of the age of
              > his kids, he is a bit hesitaint..(I know, he is more concerned with the
              > fact people could download the vid, more than people being able to view
              > the video's) anyway..I was hoping someone (s) here had some experience
              > in this matter and would be willing to share some tips. He is using
              > wordpress hosted on his site and wants to be able to embed his flash
              > video's (maybe other types as well) onto his site. Since I use Blip,
              > and have never done the self hosting route, I said I would ask around.
              >
              > Thanks in advance for your help
              >
              > Heath
              > http://batmangeek.com
              > http://heathparks.com

            • * Jennifer Hall Goodwin *
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 4, 2008
                We do this all day long for ourselves and clients. Send him my way and I'll
                help him out.

                We have used, YouTube, Revver, Blip, AudioAcrobat, PodCast, locally hosted
                etc etc etc.

                Jennifer Goodwin

                <http://www.internetgirlfriday.com/> www.internetGIRLfriday.com
                "Give Us Your Work, We'll Double Your Free Time/Revenue"

                We are a group of Virtual Assistants & Online Marketing Experts:
                administrative assistants, graphic & web designers, bookkeepers,
                travel/event planners, marketing & pr gurus, receptionists,
                computer organizers, lead generators and partners of many business
                vendors...