Re: [videoblogging] Grad Student Research - Profile of a Video Blogger

  • Irina
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2008
      hi josh
      i think you may have a hard time just getting responses like this
      you may just get individual people's emails and email them individually
      you also may want to tighten your focus a little since there are so many
      "video bloggers" now

      --
      http://geekentertainment.tv

    • Richard (Show) Hall
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 3, 2008
        Hi Josh,

        FYI, my student, John Warmbrodt, did his thesis on the video blogging
        community.

        http://lite.mst.edu/theses.html

        --
        Richard (Show) Hall
        http://richardshow.org

      • Mike Moon
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 4, 2008
          Questions:
          1. How did you get into vlogging?
          I watched an episode of Torrent that featured Michael Verdi and Ryanne
          Hodson talking about FREEVLOG.ORG. I purchased a $70 videocam and I
          was off.

          2. How long have you been blogging?
          Two Years and counting.

          3. What provides inspiration for your vlog posts?
          I capture moments of my life so that when I'm really old and forget
          how to feed myself, I can still look back and remember.

          4. How often do you post?
          Generally once every other day. Say, 3 vlogs a week.

          5. Is your video blog a business or a hobby?
          It's a hobby.

          6. What motivates you to continue updating your video blog?
          It's hard to have a lifetime of videos, be it the second half of my
          life, without having videos.

          7. How long does it take you to post (from the idea-> filming-> posting)?
          Ideas get written down and thought about. That time varies.
          Shooting... depends. 2 minutes to all day, depending on what's going on.
          Uggh, editing, compressing, converting, uploading, website...
          I continue to improve and shorten my processes to give me more time
          with family and shooting. I could bang out a 3 minute video in say 1/2
          an hour. BUT, it's generally taking closer to 1 or 2 hours.

          8. If you have a site you would like to share (personal or just one
          you like) please list here:
          Sure... http://vlog.mikemoon.net
          Not every video is an award winner, but odds are if you drop by,
          there's going to be a new entry. 500+ videos in the first 2 years.
          Drop by, say hello.

          Mike

          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "joshua.kuss" <joshua.kuss@...>
          wrote:

          > Hey all! I am a grad student at UC San Diego doing a research project
          > on the video blogger community and video bloggers. The goal of my
          > project is to develop a profile of video bloggers. This appears to be
          > quite a daunting task since the barriers to vlogging are relatively low
          > and there are a lot of video bloggers out there. If you have a moment
          > to help me out I would really aprreciate it. I have a few basic
          > questions that I am trying to answer (shown below). Also, if you know
          > of any video blog sites that you consider to be good examples of a
          > video blog site or sites that have good content, that would really help!
          >
          > Questions:
          > 1. How did you get into vlogging?
          > 2. How long have you been blogging?
          > 3. What provides inspiration for your vlog posts?
          > 4. How often do you post?
          > 5. Is your video blog a business or a hobby?
          > 6. What motivates you to continue updating your video blog?
          > 7. How long does it take you to post (from the idea->filming->posting)?
          > 8. If you have a site you would like to share (personal or just one you
          > like) please list here:
          >
          > Thanks in advance! If you want to shoot me an email instead of posting
          > a response, that's cool, too.
          >

          > Cheers, Josh

        • Jan McLaughlin
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 4, 2008
            Most of questions you list could be easily (or not so easily) answered by
            combing through a crapload of videoblogs and taking notes, counting,
            watching, commenting, etc.

            Dr. Hall, did this not used to be called 'research'? I forget.

            For example, to answer "How long?" go to the vlogger's archives and click
            the oldest month and there you will find the vlogger's first post.

            If you watch sample vlog entries through time, you will get an idea of how
            and why they started, what inspires them, and the direction they've gone and
            are going.

            You will see in black and white how often the vlogger posts.

            All that information (and more) is part of vlogging's charm.

            Jan

            Jan McLaughlin
            Production Sound Mixer
            air = 862-571-5334
            aim = janofsound
            skype = janmclaughlin

          • Richard (Show) Hall
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 4, 2008
              Jan,

              I think you make a good point, but, for the record, both are "research"
              (self-report & behavior), as defined by things published in academic
              journals ...

              And, of course, behavioral research, relying on what bloggers do (as opposed
              to what they say) would be very interesting and powerful too, but, there are
              also a lot of interesting things you can learn from what people say.

              In the case of Josh's research, perhaps he plans also collect behavioral
              data and triangulate the two, which would is the best sort, in my view.

              ... best ... Richard (Dr./Professor/King/Ruler of the Universe) Hall

              Richard (Show) Hall
              http://richardshow.org

            • Irina
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 6, 2008
                omg, u used the word "triangulate" and you're not on Law & Order discussing
                cell towers and Central Park!
                i love u

                also, i totally agree

                u cant trust anyone by what they say so a real research of thorough grade
                would indeed triangulate everything

                for example, i go back and forth between smarty pants reporter and total
                idiot :)

                On 6/4/08, Richard (Show) Hall <richard@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > > life, without having videos.
                > > >
                > > > 7. How long does it take you to post (from the idea-> filming->
                > posting)?
                > > > Ideas get written down and thought about. That time varies.
                > > > Shooting... depends. 2 minutes to all day, depending on what's going
                > on.
                > > > Uggh, editing, compressing, converting, uploading, website...
                > > > I continue to improve and shorten my processes to give me more time
                > > > with family and shooting. I could bang out a 3 minute video in say 1/2
                > > > an hour. BUT, it's generally taking closer to 1 or 2 hours.
                > > >
                > > > 8. If you have a site you would like to share (personal or just one
                > > > you like) please list here:
                > > > Sure... http://vlog.mikemoon.net
                > > > Not every video is an award winner, but odds are if you drop by,
                > > > there's going to be a new entry. 500+ videos in the first 2 years.

                http://geekentertainment.tv

              • Pete Prodoehl
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 9, 2008
                  joshua.kuss wrote:

                  > Questions:
                  > 1. How did you get into vlogging?
                  I was involved in the beginning of podcasting, and knew at the time that
                  video would be the next big thing. I started experimenting with video
                  online, and eventually found the vloggers, probably via way of (audio)
                  podcasting.

                  > 2. How long have you been blogging?
                  August of 1997. After Dave Winer, I probably have one of the longest
                  running, continually updated blogs. (Not 'journal' or 'diary' but actual
                  blog, before that word really existed.)

                  > 3. What provides inspiration for your vlog posts?
                  I like to experiment with video.

                  > 4. How often do you post?
                  Not very often nowadays, though in 2005/2006 I tried to post every week
                  or so.

                  > 5. Is your video blog a business or a hobby?
                  I will go with hobby on that one.

                  > 6. What motivates you to continue updating your video blog?
                  I like to experiment with video.

                  > 7. How long does it take you to post (from the idea->filming->posting)?
                  Too long... I used to do it all super-fast, but now I want a more
                  polished finished product. Yesterday it took me about 3 hours in total.

                  blog: http://rasterweb.net/raster/
                  vlog: http://tinkernet.org/

                  > Thanks in advance! If you want to shoot me an email instead of posting
                  > a response, that's cool, too.

                  Thanks for asking! :)

                  Pete