Grad Student Research - Profile of a Video Blogger

  • joshua.kuss
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2008
      Hey all! I am a grad student at UC San Diego doing a research project
      on the video blogger community and video bloggers. The goal of my
      project is to develop a profile of video bloggers. This appears to be
      quite a daunting task since the barriers to vlogging are relatively low
      and there are a lot of video bloggers out there. If you have a moment
      to help me out I would really aprreciate it. I have a few basic
      questions that I am trying to answer (shown below). Also, if you know
      of any video blog sites that you consider to be good examples of a
      video blog site or sites that have good content, that would really help!

      Questions:
      1. How did you get into vlogging?
      2. How long have you been blogging?
      3. What provides inspiration for your vlog posts?
      4. How often do you post?
      5. Is your video blog a business or a hobby?
      6. What motivates you to continue updating your video blog?
      7. How long does it take you to post (from the idea->filming->posting)?
      8. If you have a site you would like to share (personal or just one you
      like) please list here:

      Thanks in advance! If you want to shoot me an email instead of posting
      a response, that's cool, too.

      Cheers, Josh
    • Brook Hinton
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 2008
        1. How did you get into vlogging?
        There wasn't really a "how". I'm a film/video artist, the videoblog seemed a
        logical format and venue to explore.
        2. How long have you been blogging?
        Two or three years.

        3. What provides inspiration for your vlog posts?
        Making images and sounds is inseparable from who I am. It's how I exist in
        the world. A videoblog is a form and a venue for this,

        4. How often do you post?
        From once a day to once every couple of months. Depends on the
        project/time/other work.

        5. Is your video blog a business or a hobby?
        No. It's part of my filmmaking, which has a business side to it, but it's
        not a business and it's not a hobby.

        6. What motivates you to continue updating your video blog?
        When something needs to be there, there it goes. I don't look for
        motivation.

        7. How long does it take you to post (from the idea->filming->posting)?
        Shortest: two hours. Longest: over a year.

        8. If you have a site you would like to share (personal or just one you
        like) please list here:
        www.patrickpower.com. The late Patrick Power was doing this when no one was
        calling it videoblogging.

        brook

      • Irina
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 1, 2008
          hi josh
          i think you may have a hard time just getting responses like this
          you may just get individual people's emails and email them individually
          you also may want to tighten your focus a little since there are so many
          "video bloggers" now

          --
          http://geekentertainment.tv

        • Richard (Show) Hall
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 3, 2008
            Hi Josh,

            FYI, my student, John Warmbrodt, did his thesis on the video blogging
            community.

            http://lite.mst.edu/theses.html

            --
            Richard (Show) Hall
            http://richardshow.org

          • Mike Moon
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 4, 2008
              Questions:
              1. How did you get into vlogging?
              I watched an episode of Torrent that featured Michael Verdi and Ryanne
              Hodson talking about FREEVLOG.ORG. I purchased a $70 videocam and I
              was off.

              2. How long have you been blogging?
              Two Years and counting.

              3. What provides inspiration for your vlog posts?
              I capture moments of my life so that when I'm really old and forget
              how to feed myself, I can still look back and remember.

              4. How often do you post?
              Generally once every other day. Say, 3 vlogs a week.

              5. Is your video blog a business or a hobby?
              It's a hobby.

              6. What motivates you to continue updating your video blog?
              It's hard to have a lifetime of videos, be it the second half of my
              life, without having videos.

              7. How long does it take you to post (from the idea-> filming-> posting)?
              Ideas get written down and thought about. That time varies.
              Shooting... depends. 2 minutes to all day, depending on what's going on.
              Uggh, editing, compressing, converting, uploading, website...
              I continue to improve and shorten my processes to give me more time
              with family and shooting. I could bang out a 3 minute video in say 1/2
              an hour. BUT, it's generally taking closer to 1 or 2 hours.

              8. If you have a site you would like to share (personal or just one
              you like) please list here:
              Sure... http://vlog.mikemoon.net
              Not every video is an award winner, but odds are if you drop by,
              there's going to be a new entry. 500+ videos in the first 2 years.
              Drop by, say hello.

              Mike

              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "joshua.kuss" <joshua.kuss@...>
              wrote:

              > Hey all! I am a grad student at UC San Diego doing a research project
              > on the video blogger community and video bloggers. The goal of my
              > project is to develop a profile of video bloggers. This appears to be
              > quite a daunting task since the barriers to vlogging are relatively low
              > and there are a lot of video bloggers out there. If you have a moment
              > to help me out I would really aprreciate it. I have a few basic
              > questions that I am trying to answer (shown below). Also, if you know
              > of any video blog sites that you consider to be good examples of a
              > video blog site or sites that have good content, that would really help!
              >
              > Questions:
              > 1. How did you get into vlogging?
              > 2. How long have you been blogging?
              > 3. What provides inspiration for your vlog posts?
              > 4. How often do you post?
              > 5. Is your video blog a business or a hobby?
              > 6. What motivates you to continue updating your video blog?
              > 7. How long does it take you to post (from the idea->filming->posting)?
              > 8. If you have a site you would like to share (personal or just one you
              > like) please list here:
              >
              > Thanks in advance! If you want to shoot me an email instead of posting
              > a response, that's cool, too.
              >

              > Cheers, Josh

            • Jan McLaughlin
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 4, 2008
                Most of questions you list could be easily (or not so easily) answered by
                combing through a crapload of videoblogs and taking notes, counting,
                watching, commenting, etc.

                Dr. Hall, did this not used to be called 'research'? I forget.

                For example, to answer "How long?" go to the vlogger's archives and click
                the oldest month and there you will find the vlogger's first post.

                If you watch sample vlog entries through time, you will get an idea of how
                and why they started, what inspires them, and the direction they've gone and
                are going.

                You will see in black and white how often the vlogger posts.

                All that information (and more) is part of vlogging's charm.

                Jan

                Jan McLaughlin
                Production Sound Mixer
                air = 862-571-5334
                aim = janofsound
                skype = janmclaughlin

              • Richard (Show) Hall
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 4, 2008
                  Jan,

                  I think you make a good point, but, for the record, both are "research"
                  (self-report & behavior), as defined by things published in academic
                  journals ...

                  And, of course, behavioral research, relying on what bloggers do (as opposed
                  to what they say) would be very interesting and powerful too, but, there are
                  also a lot of interesting things you can learn from what people say.

                  In the case of Josh's research, perhaps he plans also collect behavioral
                  data and triangulate the two, which would is the best sort, in my view.

                  ... best ... Richard (Dr./Professor/King/Ruler of the Universe) Hall

                  Richard (Show) Hall
                  http://richardshow.org

                • Irina
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 6, 2008
                    omg, u used the word "triangulate" and you're not on Law & Order discussing
                    cell towers and Central Park!
                    i love u

                    also, i totally agree

                    u cant trust anyone by what they say so a real research of thorough grade
                    would indeed triangulate everything

                    for example, i go back and forth between smarty pants reporter and total
                    idiot :)

                    On 6/4/08, Richard (Show) Hall <richard@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > > life, without having videos.
                    > > >
                    > > > 7. How long does it take you to post (from the idea-> filming->
                    > posting)?
                    > > > Ideas get written down and thought about. That time varies.
                    > > > Shooting... depends. 2 minutes to all day, depending on what's going
                    > on.
                    > > > Uggh, editing, compressing, converting, uploading, website...
                    > > > I continue to improve and shorten my processes to give me more time
                    > > > with family and shooting. I could bang out a 3 minute video in say 1/2
                    > > > an hour. BUT, it's generally taking closer to 1 or 2 hours.
                    > > >
                    > > > 8. If you have a site you would like to share (personal or just one
                    > > > you like) please list here:
                    > > > Sure... http://vlog.mikemoon.net
                    > > > Not every video is an award winner, but odds are if you drop by,
                    > > > there's going to be a new entry. 500+ videos in the first 2 years.

                    http://geekentertainment.tv

                  • Pete Prodoehl
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 9, 2008
                      joshua.kuss wrote:

                      > Questions:
                      > 1. How did you get into vlogging?
                      I was involved in the beginning of podcasting, and knew at the time that
                      video would be the next big thing. I started experimenting with video
                      online, and eventually found the vloggers, probably via way of (audio)
                      podcasting.

                      > 2. How long have you been blogging?
                      August of 1997. After Dave Winer, I probably have one of the longest
                      running, continually updated blogs. (Not 'journal' or 'diary' but actual
                      blog, before that word really existed.)

                      > 3. What provides inspiration for your vlog posts?
                      I like to experiment with video.

                      > 4. How often do you post?
                      Not very often nowadays, though in 2005/2006 I tried to post every week
                      or so.

                      > 5. Is your video blog a business or a hobby?
                      I will go with hobby on that one.

                      > 6. What motivates you to continue updating your video blog?
                      I like to experiment with video.

                      > 7. How long does it take you to post (from the idea->filming->posting)?
                      Too long... I used to do it all super-fast, but now I want a more
                      polished finished product. Yesterday it took me about 3 hours in total.

                      blog: http://rasterweb.net/raster/
                      vlog: http://tinkernet.org/

                      > Thanks in advance! If you want to shoot me an email instead of posting
                      > a response, that's cool, too.

                      Thanks for asking! :)

                      Pete