How can vlogging influence govt? - Need ideas for House of Commons meeting

  • beth_tilston
    Message 1 of 1 , May 27, 2008
      Dear all,

      Don't ask me how, but I have somehow become part of a group of
      bloggers who have been invited to the House of Commons next week
      to "discuss how we (bloggers/vloggers) can best get behind a campaign
      to urge the UK parliament to commit to an 80% reduction in CO2 (not
      60%)." The meeting is with Nick Clegg, the leader of the Liberal
      Democrats and Steve Webb, the Lib Dem environment spokesperson.

      So what I want to know is, what should I say? Does anyone have any
      good examples of blogging/vlogging influencing government? Does
      anyone have any ideas of how it might do so in the future? Is this
      the point of green/political blogging at all? Is the ethos of
      blogging antithetical to the ethos of government?

      All ideas and suggestions welcome.

      Beth

      p.s. Here's some stuff about the Facebook (eugghh) campaign that
      we're mainly going to talk about.

      This campaign http://www.facebook.com/pages/Climate-Change-60-cut-is-
      not-enough/11917166969 exists to persuade the Government to set a
      binding target of an 80% cut in Britain's CO2 emissions by 2050,
      rather than the 60% that is currently contained in the Climate Change
      Bill.

      Launched by Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg MP and environment spokesperson
      Steve Webb MP, the campaign is cross-party and open to anyone who
      believes that the climate change crisis is so urgent that we need to
      cut our CO2 emissions further and faster.

      Later in the year MPs will be able to vote on whether to replace the
      60% target with a tougher 80% target, which is supported by
      environmental groups and leading scientists.

      This group has two aims:

      (1) to show the Government the strength of support for an 80% CO2
      target;

      (2) to encourage people across Britain to contact their local MP and
      report back to the group every time an MP signs up to support the 80%
      target if there is a vote in the House of Commons.