Fwd: How to repair a corrupted MPEG4 file?

  • Steve Garfield
    Message 1 of 3 , May 5, 2008
      Forwarded for Christopher Penn:

      Begin forwarded message:

      > Christopher Penn asked the following question:
      > How to repair a corrupted MPEG4 file?
      >
      > I have a file I shot with an Xacti CG65 that's an H.264 MPEG4 file.
      > When I go to launch it in Quicktime or VLC, I get this error:
      >
      > "An invalid public movie atom was found in the file."
      >
      > Does anyone know how to repair/recover this kind of file? It used to
      > be with MPEG1 and MPEG2 movies, you could simply slice off the first
      > X bytes of the movie, but MPEG4 is a container format, so it's not
      > headerless.
      >
      > I've done the basic Google thing and all of the tips and answers
      > found so far have not worked. Packages I've tried to open the file
      > with and failed so far include:
      >
      > iMovie
      > Final Cut Pro
      > VLC
      > Quicktime
      > VisualHub
      >
      > Thanks for any insights you can offer!
      >
      > Christopher S. Penn | cspenn [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com
      >
      > The Blog: www.ChristopherSPenn.com
      > The Speaker: www.AwakenYourSuperhero.com
      > The Radio: www.MarketingOverCoffee.com
      > The Money: www.FinancialAidPodcast.com
      > The Conference: www.PodCamp.org
      > The Link: www.LinkedIn.com/in/cspenn
      >
      > View question:
      > http://www.linkedin.com/e/7TLoM8QrxK0ysPLfp7jHe4y5xJO347z15Qr8/blk/558599022_2/0QejgTcj8ObPwSd3gOcyZNtChxbOYWrSlI/advq/
      > Answer question:
      > http://www.linkedin.com/e/7TLoM8QrxK0ysPLfp7jHe4y5xJO347z15Qr8/blk/558599022_2/0QejgTcj8ObPwSd3gOcyZNomhxbOYWrSlI/adaq/
      > Reply privately:
      > http://www.linkedin.com/e/7TLoM8QrxK0ysPLfp7jHe4y5xJO347z15Qr8/blk/558599022_2/39vcz8MejARe3kRbPgVd3sNcz8Le3oQd38ObT5MsChxbOYWrSlI/adrpq/

    • Rambos Locker
      Message 2 of 3 , May 5, 2008
        Gspot may give a clue??

        Rambo

        Cheers Rambo

        Check out my Outrigging Blog ... Updated Daily
        HYPERLINK "http://rambos-locker.blogspot.com"

        Checked by AVG.
        4/05/2008 12:31 PM

      • Chuck
        Message 3 of 3 , May 5, 2008
          Download the trial version of "expression encoder 2" and try to
          import it.

          I had a FLV with a strange codec (techsmith) last week that I
          couldn't open with ANYTHING.

          I was messing with expression encoder 2 just to familiarize myself
          with it and expression blend.

          As a lark, I tried to import the FLV and it worked.

          It's worth a try.

          http://www.microsoft.com/expression/try-it/default.aspx

          Chuck

          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Steve Garfield <steve@...>