Re: Sony Vegas compression Question

  • Steve Watkins
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 3, 2008
      Well this stuff can become quite complex, it depends exactly what you want to achieve.
      For example, do you want your video to work for users who have lower connections, do
      you want people to be able to play the video on ipods etc?

      Putting aside most of those issues, the term HD is being used more broadly on the
      internet, because of how low-definition web video has traditionally been, even standard
      definition seems high-def on the web, in a way.

      If I were you I would start by determining what resolution video youd like to put on your
      site. Do you really want to offer it in the original HD formats that are resolutions like
      1920x1080 or 1280x720, or something lower that will be a lot more practical for a lot of
      your viewers. And that may be where the content of the video comes in, some video
      benefits more from higher resolution than others. Even if you lower the original HD
      footage down to SD resolutions, it tends to still look better and have a certain HD feel to it.

      One possible easy way to eliminate a lot of stumbling around this topic, is to go find some
      videos on the web that seem like just the right size & quality to you. Post links to them
      here and someone can probably tell you how to make videos in that format.

      Cheers

      Steve Elbows
      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Jill H" <xgobobeanx@...> wrote:

      > it's for the web, our own site and i just would like to know if anyone knows
      > which codec compression to use.
      > i thought this could be a simple answer- not sure why you need to know the
      > details of our videos- just HD, web, VEGAS, our own site-
      >
      > if you can't answer, thank you and i will research it.
      >
      > On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 4:08 PM, Heath <heathparks@...> wrote:
      >
      > > If it's for the web, I would not bother with HD right now, unless you
      > > are putting it on your own site and are streaming it. Is that the
      > > case? The main reason is that the file sizes will be really big for
      > > HD even with the .264 codec and depending on the type of footage you
      > > are putting on, you may need a pretty high bit rate.
      > >
      > > what type of footage are you shooting? Interviews? films? etc? I
      > > should have asked that the first time, sorry.
      > >
      > > Heath
      > > http://batmangeek.com
      > > http://heathparks.com
      > >

      > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com <videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > > "Jill H" <xgobobeanx@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > it's for the web- we will later go onto dvd- but right now its
      > > for the
      > > > web- the vegas version is 7
      > > >
      > > > thank you!

      > > of

      <videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com><videoblogging%
      > > 40yahoogroups.com>,

      > > correct

    • WWWhatsup
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 4, 2008
        I would recommend using the Main Concept AVC/AAC to render to mp4

        You'll have to go into options and set the framesize. A bitrate of 2mpbs will
        be plenty.

        Then get an account at http://blip.tv and upload. blip will convert it to flash (.flv)
        which you can either download or embed via code to play directly from
        their site.

        Hope this helps.

        joly

        At 03:30 PM 3/3/2008, you wrote:
        >I was wondering if anyone out there uses sony vegas for editing.
        >
        >One of my editors is using sony vegas but does not know the correct
        >kodak to compress/export in HD?
        >
        >I would really appreciate any help.
        >

        >Thank you,
        >Jill