Re: Sony Vegas compression Question

  • Heath
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 3, 2008
      Is this export for the web? Or for DVD, etc? Also what version of
      Vegas? Vegas Pro 8 or the consumer versions?

      Heath
      http://batmangeek.com

      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "jt_hanner" <xgobobeanx@...>
      wrote:

      > I was wondering if anyone out there uses sony vegas for editing.
      >
      > One of my editors is using sony vegas but does not know the correct
      > kodak to compress/export in HD?
      >
      > I would really appreciate any help.
      >

      > Thank you,
      > Jill

    • Jill H
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 3, 2008
        it's for the web- we will later go onto dvd- but right now its for the
        web- the vegas version is 7

        thank you!

        On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 3:39 PM, Heath <heathparks@...> wrote:

        > Is this export for the web? Or for DVD, etc? Also what version of
        > Vegas? Vegas Pro 8 or the consumer versions?
        >
        > Heath
        > http://batmangeek.com

        > "jt_hanner" <xgobobeanx@...>
        > wrote:
        >

        > > I was wondering if anyone out there uses sony vegas for editing.
        > >
        > > One of my editors is using sony vegas but does not know the correct
        > > kodak to compress/export in HD?
        > >
        > > I would really appreciate any help.
        > >

        > > Thank you,
        > > Jill

      • Heath
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 3, 2008
          If it's for the web, I would not bother with HD right now, unless you
          are putting it on your own site and are streaming it. Is that the
          case? The main reason is that the file sizes will be really big for
          HD even with the .264 codec and depending on the type of footage you
          are putting on, you may need a pretty high bit rate.

          what type of footage are you shooting? Interviews? films? etc? I
          should have asked that the first time, sorry.

          Heath
          http://batmangeek.com
          http://heathparks.com

          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Jill H" <xgobobeanx@...> wrote:

          > it's for the web- we will later go onto dvd- but right now its
          for the
          > web- the vegas version is 7
          >
          > thank you!
          >
          > On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 3:39 PM, Heath <heathparks@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Is this export for the web? Or for DVD, etc? Also what version
          of
          > > Vegas? Vegas Pro 8 or the consumer versions?
          > >
          > > Heath
          > > http://batmangeek.com
          > >
          > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com <videoblogging%
          40yahoogroups.com>,
          > > "jt_hanner" <xgobobeanx@>
          > > wrote:
          > >

          > > > I was wondering if anyone out there uses sony vegas for editing.
          > > >
          > > > One of my editors is using sony vegas but does not know the
          correct
          > > > kodak to compress/export in HD?
          > > >
          > > > I would really appreciate any help.
          > > >

          > > > Thank you,
          > > > Jill

        • Jill H
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 3, 2008
            it's for the web, our own site and i just would like to know if anyone knows
            which codec compression to use.
            i thought this could be a simple answer- not sure why you need to know the
            details of our videos- just HD, web, VEGAS, our own site-

            if you can't answer, thank you and i will research it.

            On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 4:08 PM, Heath <heathparks@...> wrote:

            > If it's for the web, I would not bother with HD right now, unless you
            > are putting it on your own site and are streaming it. Is that the
            > case? The main reason is that the file sizes will be really big for
            > HD even with the .264 codec and depending on the type of footage you
            > are putting on, you may need a pretty high bit rate.
            >
            > what type of footage are you shooting? Interviews? films? etc? I
            > should have asked that the first time, sorry.
            >
            > Heath
            > http://batmangeek.com
            > http://heathparks.com

            > "Jill H" <xgobobeanx@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > it's for the web- we will later go onto dvd- but right now its
            > for the
            > > web- the vegas version is 7
            > >
            > > thank you!
            > >
            > > On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 3:39 PM, Heath <heathparks@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > > Is this export for the web? Or for DVD, etc? Also what version
            > of
            > > > Vegas? Vegas Pro 8 or the consumer versions?
            > > >
            > > > Heath
            > > > http://batmangeek.com
            > > >
            > > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com <videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com><videoblogging%
            > 40yahoogroups.com>,

            > correct

          • Steve Watkins
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 3, 2008
              Well this stuff can become quite complex, it depends exactly what you want to achieve.
              For example, do you want your video to work for users who have lower connections, do
              you want people to be able to play the video on ipods etc?

              Putting aside most of those issues, the term HD is being used more broadly on the
              internet, because of how low-definition web video has traditionally been, even standard
              definition seems high-def on the web, in a way.

              If I were you I would start by determining what resolution video youd like to put on your
              site. Do you really want to offer it in the original HD formats that are resolutions like
              1920x1080 or 1280x720, or something lower that will be a lot more practical for a lot of
              your viewers. And that may be where the content of the video comes in, some video
              benefits more from higher resolution than others. Even if you lower the original HD
              footage down to SD resolutions, it tends to still look better and have a certain HD feel to it.

              One possible easy way to eliminate a lot of stumbling around this topic, is to go find some
              videos on the web that seem like just the right size & quality to you. Post links to them
              here and someone can probably tell you how to make videos in that format.

              Cheers

              Steve Elbows

            • WWWhatsup
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 4, 2008
                I would recommend using the Main Concept AVC/AAC to render to mp4

                You'll have to go into options and set the framesize. A bitrate of 2mpbs will
                be plenty.

                Then get an account at http://blip.tv and upload. blip will convert it to flash (.flv)
                which you can either download or embed via code to play directly from
                their site.

                Hope this helps.

                joly

                At 03:30 PM 3/3/2008, you wrote:
                >I was wondering if anyone out there uses sony vegas for editing.
                >
                >One of my editors is using sony vegas but does not know the correct
                >kodak to compress/export in HD?
                >
                >I would really appreciate any help.
                >

                >Thank you,
                >Jill