Sony Vegas compression Question

  • jt_hanner
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 3 12:30 PM
      I was wondering if anyone out there uses sony vegas for editing.

      One of my editors is using sony vegas but does not know the correct
      kodak to compress/export in HD?

      I would really appreciate any help.

      Thank you,
      Jill
    • Heath
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 3 12:39 PM
        Is this export for the web? Or for DVD, etc? Also what version of
        Vegas? Vegas Pro 8 or the consumer versions?

        Heath
        http://batmangeek.com

        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "jt_hanner" <xgobobeanx@...>
        wrote:

        > I was wondering if anyone out there uses sony vegas for editing.
        >
        > One of my editors is using sony vegas but does not know the correct
        > kodak to compress/export in HD?
        >
        > I would really appreciate any help.
        >

        > Thank you,
        > Jill

      • Jill H
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 3 12:41 PM
          it's for the web- we will later go onto dvd- but right now its for the
          web- the vegas version is 7

          thank you!

          On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 3:39 PM, Heath <heathparks@...> wrote:

          > Is this export for the web? Or for DVD, etc? Also what version of
          > Vegas? Vegas Pro 8 or the consumer versions?
          >
          > Heath
          > http://batmangeek.com

          > "jt_hanner" <xgobobeanx@...>
          > wrote:
          >

          > > I was wondering if anyone out there uses sony vegas for editing.
          > >
          > > One of my editors is using sony vegas but does not know the correct
          > > kodak to compress/export in HD?
          > >
          > > I would really appreciate any help.
          > >

          > > Thank you,
          > > Jill

        • Heath
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 3 1:08 PM
            If it's for the web, I would not bother with HD right now, unless you
            are putting it on your own site and are streaming it. Is that the
            case? The main reason is that the file sizes will be really big for
            HD even with the .264 codec and depending on the type of footage you
            are putting on, you may need a pretty high bit rate.

            what type of footage are you shooting? Interviews? films? etc? I
            should have asked that the first time, sorry.

            Heath
            http://batmangeek.com
            http://heathparks.com

            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Jill H" <xgobobeanx@...> wrote:

            > it's for the web- we will later go onto dvd- but right now its
            for the
            > web- the vegas version is 7
            >
            > thank you!
            >
            > On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 3:39 PM, Heath <heathparks@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Is this export for the web? Or for DVD, etc? Also what version
            of
            > > Vegas? Vegas Pro 8 or the consumer versions?
            > >
            > > Heath
            > > http://batmangeek.com
            > >
            > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com <videoblogging%
            40yahoogroups.com>,
            > > "jt_hanner" <xgobobeanx@>
            > > wrote:
            > >

            > > > I was wondering if anyone out there uses sony vegas for editing.
            > > >
            > > > One of my editors is using sony vegas but does not know the
            correct
            > > > kodak to compress/export in HD?
            > > >
            > > > I would really appreciate any help.
            > > >

            > > > Thank you,
            > > > Jill

          • Jill H
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 3 1:15 PM
              it's for the web, our own site and i just would like to know if anyone knows
              which codec compression to use.
              i thought this could be a simple answer- not sure why you need to know the
              details of our videos- just HD, web, VEGAS, our own site-

              if you can't answer, thank you and i will research it.

              On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 4:08 PM, Heath <heathparks@...> wrote:

              > If it's for the web, I would not bother with HD right now, unless you
              > are putting it on your own site and are streaming it. Is that the
              > case? The main reason is that the file sizes will be really big for
              > HD even with the .264 codec and depending on the type of footage you
              > are putting on, you may need a pretty high bit rate.
              >
              > what type of footage are you shooting? Interviews? films? etc? I
              > should have asked that the first time, sorry.
              >
              > Heath
              > http://batmangeek.com
              > http://heathparks.com

              > "Jill H" <xgobobeanx@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > it's for the web- we will later go onto dvd- but right now its
              > for the
              > > web- the vegas version is 7
              > >
              > > thank you!
              > >
              > > On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 3:39 PM, Heath <heathparks@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > > Is this export for the web? Or for DVD, etc? Also what version
              > of
              > > > Vegas? Vegas Pro 8 or the consumer versions?
              > > >
              > > > Heath
              > > > http://batmangeek.com
              > > >
              > > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com <videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com><videoblogging%
              > 40yahoogroups.com>,

              > correct

            • Steve Watkins
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 3 1:41 PM
                Well this stuff can become quite complex, it depends exactly what you want to achieve.
                For example, do you want your video to work for users who have lower connections, do
                you want people to be able to play the video on ipods etc?

                Putting aside most of those issues, the term HD is being used more broadly on the
                internet, because of how low-definition web video has traditionally been, even standard
                definition seems high-def on the web, in a way.

                If I were you I would start by determining what resolution video youd like to put on your
                site. Do you really want to offer it in the original HD formats that are resolutions like
                1920x1080 or 1280x720, or something lower that will be a lot more practical for a lot of
                your viewers. And that may be where the content of the video comes in, some video
                benefits more from higher resolution than others. Even if you lower the original HD
                footage down to SD resolutions, it tends to still look better and have a certain HD feel to it.

                One possible easy way to eliminate a lot of stumbling around this topic, is to go find some
                videos on the web that seem like just the right size & quality to you. Post links to them
                here and someone can probably tell you how to make videos in that format.

                Cheers

                Steve Elbows

              • WWWhatsup
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 4 2:41 PM
                  I would recommend using the Main Concept AVC/AAC to render to mp4

                  You'll have to go into options and set the framesize. A bitrate of 2mpbs will
                  be plenty.

                  Then get an account at http://blip.tv and upload. blip will convert it to flash (.flv)
                  which you can either download or embed via code to play directly from
                  their site.

                  Hope this helps.

                  joly

                  At 03:30 PM 3/3/2008, you wrote:
                  >I was wondering if anyone out there uses sony vegas for editing.
                  >
                  >One of my editors is using sony vegas but does not know the correct
                  >kodak to compress/export in HD?
                  >
                  >I would really appreciate any help.
                  >

                  >Thank you,
                  >Jill