Re: [videoblogging] RE: Videoblog-to-TV...how'd it do?

  • Sull
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 28, 2008
      the whole idea was to be a TV show.
      the evolution of the project is a fabrication.

      On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 1:04 PM, Josh Paul <joshpaul@...> wrote:

      > Yeah, but was Quarterlife really a "videoblog"?
      >
      > <ducks>
      >
      > On Feb 28, 2008, at 9:47 AM, videoblogging@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      > >
      > > Videoblog-to-TV...how'd it do?
      > > Posted by: "Jay dedman" jay.dedman@... kinshasa2000
      > > Date: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:09 pm ((PST))
      >

      > > Interesting article on Quarterlife's debut on NBC.
      > > it wonders how web numbers can be compared to TV expectations.
      > > http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/web-to-tv_show_quarterlife_bombs.php
      > >
      > > The web-turned-TV show pulled a 1.6 share among 18-34 year olds, and
      > >> averaged just under 3.9 million viewers for the time slot, good
      > >> enough for
      > >> third place. Interestingly, one of the shows it trailed was the CBS
      > >> drama
      > >> "Jericho," which was rescued from cancellation due to a massive
      > >> grassroots
      > >> web campaign to save it.
      > >>
      > >> "By TV standards, that's a terrible debut. Especially considering how
      > >> poorly it faired among the 18-34 year old set -- i.e., MySpace's key
      > >> demographic. On the other hand -- what did they expect?"
      > >>

      > > Jay
      > >
      > > --
      > > http://jaydedman.com
      > > 917 371 6790

    • Sull
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 28, 2008
        i've looked at Quarterlife as an interesting template for socializing
        the television pilot process.

        On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 1:04 PM, Josh Paul <joshpaul@...> wrote:

        > Yeah, but was Quarterlife really a "videoblog"?
        >
        > <ducks>
        >
        > On Feb 28, 2008, at 9:47 AM, videoblogging@yahoogroups.com wrote:
        > >
        > > Videoblog-to-TV...how'd it do?
        > > Posted by: "Jay dedman" jay.dedman@... kinshasa2000
        > > Date: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:09 pm ((PST))
        >

        > > Interesting article on Quarterlife's debut on NBC.
        > > it wonders how web numbers can be compared to TV expectations.
        > > http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/web-to-tv_show_quarterlife_bombs.php
        > >
        > > The web-turned-TV show pulled a 1.6 share among 18-34 year olds, and
        > >> averaged just under 3.9 million viewers for the time slot, good
        > >> enough for
        > >> third place. Interestingly, one of the shows it trailed was the CBS
        > >> drama
        > >> "Jericho," which was rescued from cancellation due to a massive
        > >> grassroots
        > >> web campaign to save it.
        > >>
        > >> "By TV standards, that's a terrible debut. Especially considering how
        > >> poorly it faired among the 18-34 year old set -- i.e., MySpace's key
        > >> demographic. On the other hand -- what did they expect?"
        > >>

        > > Jay
        > >
        > > --
        > > http://jaydedman.com
        > > 917 371 6790

      • Bill Cammack
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 28, 2008
          +1. Quarterlife has nothing to do with bootstrapped shows like
          Rocketboom. They brought MSM-level troops in and made a show that
          they HAPPENED to put on the internet. It's a completely different animal.

          Bill Cammack
          http://BillCammack.com

          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Sull <sulleleven@...> wrote:

          > the whole idea was to be a TV show.
          > the evolution of the project is a fabrication.
          >
          > On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 1:04 PM, Josh Paul <joshpaul@...> wrote:
          > >

          > > Yeah, but was Quarterlife really a "videoblog"?
          > >
          > > <ducks>
          > >
          > > On Feb 28, 2008, at 9:47 AM, videoblogging@yahoogroups.com wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Videoblog-to-TV...how'd it do?
          > > > Posted by: "Jay dedman" jay.dedman@... kinshasa2000
          > > > Date: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:09 pm ((PST))
          > >

          > > > Interesting article on Quarterlife's debut on NBC.
          > > > it wonders how web numbers can be compared to TV expectations.

          http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/web-to-tv_show_quarterlife_bombs.php

          > > > The web-turned-TV show pulled a 1.6 share among 18-34 year
          olds, and

          MySpace's key

          > > > Jay
          > > >
          > > > --
          > > > http://jaydedman.com
          > > > 917 371 6790

        • Jared Cox
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 28, 2008
            I think it's both a victory and a non-victory. A step toward democratizing
            the television process, as Sull points out. But with credits like
            Moonlighting and My So Called Life, the creators are far from outsiders
            breaking into mainstream Hollywood.

            -Jared

            On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 10:09 PM, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:

            > Interesting article on Quarterlife's debut on NBC.
            > it wonders how web numbers can be compared to TV expectations.
            > http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/web-to-tv_show_quarterlife_bombs.php
            >
            > The web-turned-TV show pulled a 1.6 share among 18-34 year olds, and
            > > averaged just under 3.9 million viewers for the time slot, good enough
            > for
            > > third place. Interestingly, one of the shows it trailed was the CBS
            > drama
            > > "Jericho," which was rescued from cancellation due to a massive
            > grassroots
            > > web campaign to save it.
            > >
            > > "By TV standards, that's a terrible debut. Especially considering how
            > > poorly it faired among the 18-34 year old set -- i.e., MySpace's key
            > > demographic. On the other hand -- what did they expect?"

            > http://jaydedman.com
            > 917 371 6790

          • schlomo rabinowitz
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 28, 2008
              Im not sure if being an outsider to hollywood is a pre-requisite to
              creating a videoblog; there are hollywood level folks making vlogs...
              But i do agree with everything else you folks are saying.

              It was a beautiful failure for sure.

              On 2/28/08, Jared Cox <jared@...> wrote:
              > I think it's both a victory and a non-victory. A step toward democratizing
              > the television process, as Sull points out. But with credits like
              > Moonlighting and My So Called Life, the creators are far from outsiders
              > breaking into mainstream Hollywood.
              >
              > -Jared
              >
              > On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 10:09 PM, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Interesting article on Quarterlife's debut on NBC.
              > > it wonders how web numbers can be compared to TV expectations.
              > > http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/web-to-tv_show_quarterlife_bombs.php
              > >
              > > The web-turned-TV show pulled a 1.6 share among 18-34 year olds, and
              > > > averaged just under 3.9 million viewers for the time slot, good enough
              > > for
              > > > third place. Interestingly, one of the shows it trailed was the CBS
              > > drama
              > > > "Jericho," which was rescued from cancellation due to a massive
              > > grassroots
              > > > web campaign to save it.
              > > >
              > > > "By TV standards, that's a terrible debut. Especially considering how
              > > > poorly it faired among the 18-34 year old set -- i.e., MySpace's key
              > > > demographic. On the other hand -- what did they expect?"
              > > >

              > > Jay
              > >
              > > --
              > > http://jaydedman.com
              > > 917 371 6790

              Schlomo Rabinowitz
              http://schlomolog.blogspot.com
              http://hatfactory.net
              AIM:schlomochat
            • Frank Sinton
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 28, 2008
                I don't think the Web Series was pulling in a lot of views either (at
                least when i last looked at their YouTube channel), so what did they
                expect?

                Overall, I wish it would have done better, as a hit would have opened
                up a lot more doors for those looking for a path from the Web to TV. A
                failure will just make it that much harder. But.... the growing trend
                is for the TV Networks trying to break into the Web (i.e. the new
                Stage 9 studio by Disney-ABC Television, etc...). :)

                Regards,
                Frank

                http://www.mefeedia.com - Discover the Video Web

                --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "schlomo rabinowitz"
                <schlomo@...> wrote:

                > Im not sure if being an outsider to hollywood is a pre-requisite to
                > creating a videoblog; there are hollywood level folks making vlogs...
                > But i do agree with everything else you folks are saying.
                >
                > It was a beautiful failure for sure.
                >
                > On 2/28/08, Jared Cox <jared@...> wrote:
                > > I think it's both a victory and a non-victory. A step toward
                democratizing
                > > the television process, as Sull points out. But with credits like
                > > Moonlighting and My So Called Life, the creators are far from
                outsiders
                > > breaking into mainstream Hollywood.
                > >
                > > -Jared
                > >
                > > On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 10:09 PM, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > > Interesting article on Quarterlife's debut on NBC.
                > > > it wonders how web numbers can be compared to TV expectations.

                http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/web-to-tv_show_quarterlife_bombs.php

                > > > The web-turned-TV show pulled a 1.6 share among 18-34 year olds, and
                > > > for
                > > > drama
                > > > grassroots

                MySpace's key

                > > > Jay
                > > >
                > > > --
                > > > http://jaydedman.com
                > > > 917 371 6790

                > Schlomo Rabinowitz
                > http://schlomolog.blogspot.com
                > http://hatfactory.net
                > AIM:schlomochat

              • Andrew Baron
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 28, 2008
                  This case is a really nice example of how independent artists and
                  main stream artists are becoming balanced out.

                  Many TV execs consider vlogging to be user generated content which is
                  way different than professionally produced content.

                  Pretty cool to watch this medium become democratized. We've been
                  talking about it and now we are really seeing it happen as the major
                  studios are breaking down right before our eyes.

                • Chuck
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 28, 2008
                    I am more or less trying to leave the IT world to do digital media
                    production full time. I did some work last summer with a big trad
                    media name and it failed to launch.

                    I went back and re-read what I shared with a prominent blogger that's
                    a friend of mine about my observation on this.

                    (names changed, but everything else is what I said)

                    "I have had the displeasure to have worked with x, y, and z. I have
                    come to think of them and all who work for trad media as walruses.
                    Let me explain. I read a touching story about a bunch of guys in
                    Alaska that found a baby walrus apparently stranded on a beach. They
                    went to great lengths to transport the baby walrus in a truck to an
                    animal shelter who then contacted the proper authorities. BUT, the
                    walrus now lives in Sea World. The people that work with rescued sea
                    mammals said that if you see a sea mammal, you should call the
                    authorities and never touch it. Once a human touches a sea mammal,
                    they are doomed to a life of captivity.

                    That's x and y. They could be doing SO many cool things in New Media
                    (with me, ahem...) and won't because they only know how to exist in
                    the dying and decadent trad media."