Introduction / Video on Webshots

  • Nick Wilder
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2005
      I'm new to the group and would like to introduce myself. I created
      www.webshots.com, the largest photo sharing site on the internet,
      and I'm thinking about implementing video sharing on the site. I'm
      hoping you guys would give me some advice. My current thinking is
      that Webshots will probably host some amount of video for free, with
      larger amounts available to paying Premium members.

      Is there a preferred video format best suited for web sharing?
      Quicktime seems popular, but flash has broader installed base for
      its player. Quicktime seems to play back more reliably.

      What are you favorite sites that provide video sharing services?
      I've like www.vimeo.com, but have not been able to upload since it's
      closed to new users.

      Thanks
      Nick
    • R. Kristiansen
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2005
        Hello Nick!

        Great to see that you are on this list. We definitely need some of the
        more popular photo sites to think in terms of video as well
        (personally I use flickr and would love to see them go video).

        Regarding Vimeo I am pretty sure you can just ask Jakob Lodwick for a
        beta account and he will give it to you.

        Good luck!

        best,
        Raymond M. Kristiansen
        Norway

        On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 21:19:44 -0000, Nick Wilder
        <nicholaswilder@...> wrote:

        > I'm new to the group and would like to introduce myself. I created
        > www.webshots.com, the largest photo sharing site on the internet,
      • jim stewart
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2005
          Hi Nick,
          Speaking from my own streaming experience from the last 7 years I have
          found that WMV to be the most widely installed base. Back in 99,98
          Real Media represented 95% of our traffic. (We were serving about
          300,000 streams per month) By 2000 MS Winmedia represented 95% of our
          traffic and Real dropped back to less than 5%. My Govt clients no
          longer use our Real Server and only produce in wmv.

          Personally I'm not a huge fan of Flash for video coming from a
          streaming background scalability is an issue for flash. You can't do a
          multibitrate file etc.

          We never installed a quicktime streaming server because our exp was
          the quality wasn't as good as Real and MS and Mac users in Australia
          represented less than 1% of our audience.

          Certainly it has been my experience that MS has the widest installed
          base. I'm not saying that is a good thing - that is just my
          experience.

          I produce my own vlogs in Real, WMV and Mov. With windows users the
          mplayer2.exe has been a default install since August 1998. WMP7 became
          a default install with Win ME. Windows users have to physically
          install the QT player.

          Podcasting and Vlogging seems to be have driven initially by Mac users
          and therefore .mov is a dominant format.

          I am interested in the new Nullsoft format tho as it is open source.
          But presumably bugger all installed base.

          All the best with your efforts.
          http://jimstewart.net
          http://stewartmedia.biz