Re: I need help

  • Verdi
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2005
      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "R. Kristiansen"
      <raymondmk@g...> wrote:

      > then open new file. then export in QuickTime Pro -> .mov. I use 3ivx
      > codec. standard settings (as Michael Verdi suggests). then...
      >
      > it takes FOREVER to export the file
      > it becomes something like 35 megs.
      >
      > whats up with that?

      Actually that sounds about right. IM me and I'll see what I can do.
      filmguy1105 on AIM.

      -Verdi
    • Lisa Harper
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 2005
        Sounds about right to me, too.

        I think I see your problem... it's been a quandry for me, too. You
        actually want multiple versions of the same thing so you capture with
        the higher quality. Yet you still want the lower quality version. I
        just captured about 1GB of material this weekend and have the odious
        task of downsizing to make it all fit on a CD. A quick solution is to
        use two cams... one for each capture type... probably not what you
        want to do.

        Lisa

        On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 15:01:01 -0000, Verdi <michael@...> wrote:

        > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "R. Kristiansen"
        > <raymondmk@g...> wrote:
        >

        > > then open new file. then export in QuickTime Pro -> .mov. I use 3ivx
        > > codec. standard settings (as Michael Verdi suggests). then...
        > >
        > > it takes FOREVER to export the file
        > > it becomes something like 35 megs.
        > >
        > > whats up with that?
        >
        > Actually that sounds about right. IM me and I'll see what I can do.
        > filmguy1105 on AIM.
        >
        > -Verdi

        Lisa Harper
        http://www.lisaharper.org
      • Steve Garfield
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 1, 2005
          You know that you can COPY portions of video in QuickTime Pro and then
          PASTE it into a new QuickTime Pro window?

          I've done this before as a quick and easy way to edit existing footage.

          1. Open up Source video
          2. File/NEW PLAYER
          then click and drag the the triangle to the start and then move the
          other triangle to the end point
          4. Edit/copy
          5. Go to the new player window, Edit/Paste
          6. GO TO #3 UNTIL DONE

          --Steve
          http://stevegarfield.com

          On Mar 1, 2005, at 9:49 AM, R. Kristiansen wrote:

          > then how to edit it? arrgh, qt pro has no real timeline function.
        • Adrian Miles
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 1, 2005
            around the 1/3/05 Steve Garfield mentioned about Re: [videoblogging]
            I need help that:
            >1. Open up Source video
            >2. File/NEW PLAYER
            >then click and drag the the triangle to the start and then move the
            >other triangle to the end point
            >4. Edit/copy
            >5. Go to the new player window, Edit/Paste
            >6. GO TO #3 UNTIL DONE

            just to add to this:

            on apple Command B moves in out points to current playhead position.
            this makes it very fast and easy to do a series of butt edits. (is
            that what they're called, forgotten my videotape editing lessons of
            1986...)

            also you can drag the in and out points to mark a selection and then
            paste over the selection.
            you can also add scaled (via edit menu) which stretches or shrinks
            what you paste to what you've selected.
            you can also select by holding down shift while dragging playhead or
            while playing video.

            there isn't a timeline but that's because QT is not about linear film
            media. (the essays i've published on softvideo discuss this if you're
            interested). timelines assume linear continuous media. That's a
            rather large canonical assumption to make for something that is
            actually more about collage than montage :-)

            --
            cheers
            Adrian Miles
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 1, 2005
              around the 1/3/05 R. Kristiansen mentioned about [videoblogging] I
              need help that:
              >Xacti camera -> mpeg4 format -> computer. ok. the 10 minute interview
              >with president of norwegian liberal youth is in 640x480 (for our DVD /
              >CD-rom material later on)
              >
              >i save as .mov 320x240, no codec-use.
              >
              >then open new file. then export in QuickTime Pro -> .mov. I use 3ivx
              >codec. standard settings (as Michael Verdi suggests). then...
              >
              >it takes FOREVER to export the file
              >it becomes something like 35 megs.
              >
              >whats up with that?

              1. are you doing 2 pass?
              2. make sure you run the 2 pass and nominate which pass each time
              3. this does mean that in QT pro you have to compress TWICE.

              if it isn't working and you've got a deadline, i'd suggest just using
              Apples mpeg4 codec. single pass but will at least work for you.

              and cut and paste in QT pro and you can cut it down.
              (I could also mention Umberto Eco's famous observation on dos as
              protestant and macs as catholic and that Norway is, um, protestant
              (ie, not many macs) but shan't.) ;-)

              --
              cheers
              Adrian Miles