I need help

  • R. Kristiansen
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2005
      Hey all,

      Xacti camera -> mpeg4 format -> computer. ok. the 10 minute interview
      with president of norwegian liberal youth is in 640x480 (for our DVD /
      CD-rom material later on)

      i save as .mov 320x240, no codec-use.

      then open new file. then export in QuickTime Pro -> .mov. I use 3ivx
      codec. standard settings (as Michael Verdi suggests). then...

      it takes FOREVER to export the file
      it becomes something like 35 megs.

      whats up with that?

      can someone quick screencast a howto? someone with mpeg4 material
      preferrably. from a xacti - dream situation.

      i need to get this videoblog site up like... Now. :(

      sigh.

      i hate all these techie things getting in the way. i just want content
      content content out there.

      i want this to be so easy that we can have youths from All Over Norway
      videoblogging. we need sponsors of xacti/other cameras, and QT pro
      licenses (cheapest option I guess). hmm.

      anyway, my prime help-call is for suggestions on how to set these
      files up. normally it works for me but with the mpeg4 material it
      screws up.

      another question: is a 10 minute political vlog too much? i think so.
      then how to edit it? arrgh, qt pro has no real timeline function. i
      need iMovie. we dont own macs. arrgh :)

      frustrated,
      Raymond
    • Verdi
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 2005
        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "R. Kristiansen"
        <raymondmk@g...> wrote:

        > then open new file. then export in QuickTime Pro -> .mov. I use 3ivx
        > codec. standard settings (as Michael Verdi suggests). then...
        >
        > it takes FOREVER to export the file
        > it becomes something like 35 megs.
        >
        > whats up with that?

        Actually that sounds about right. IM me and I'll see what I can do.
        filmguy1105 on AIM.

        -Verdi
      • Lisa Harper
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 1, 2005
          Sounds about right to me, too.

          I think I see your problem... it's been a quandry for me, too. You
          actually want multiple versions of the same thing so you capture with
          the higher quality. Yet you still want the lower quality version. I
          just captured about 1GB of material this weekend and have the odious
          task of downsizing to make it all fit on a CD. A quick solution is to
          use two cams... one for each capture type... probably not what you
          want to do.

          Lisa

          On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 15:01:01 -0000, Verdi <michael@...> wrote:

          > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "R. Kristiansen"
          > <raymondmk@g...> wrote:
          >

          > > then open new file. then export in QuickTime Pro -> .mov. I use 3ivx
          > > codec. standard settings (as Michael Verdi suggests). then...
          > >
          > > it takes FOREVER to export the file
          > > it becomes something like 35 megs.
          > >
          > > whats up with that?
          >
          > Actually that sounds about right. IM me and I'll see what I can do.
          > filmguy1105 on AIM.
          >
          > -Verdi

          Lisa Harper
          http://www.lisaharper.org
        • Steve Garfield
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 1, 2005
            You know that you can COPY portions of video in QuickTime Pro and then
            PASTE it into a new QuickTime Pro window?

            I've done this before as a quick and easy way to edit existing footage.

            1. Open up Source video
            2. File/NEW PLAYER
            then click and drag the the triangle to the start and then move the
            other triangle to the end point
            4. Edit/copy
            5. Go to the new player window, Edit/Paste
            6. GO TO #3 UNTIL DONE

            --Steve
            http://stevegarfield.com

            On Mar 1, 2005, at 9:49 AM, R. Kristiansen wrote:

            > then how to edit it? arrgh, qt pro has no real timeline function.
          • Adrian Miles
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 1, 2005
              around the 1/3/05 Steve Garfield mentioned about Re: [videoblogging]
              I need help that:
              >1. Open up Source video
              >2. File/NEW PLAYER
              >then click and drag the the triangle to the start and then move the
              >other triangle to the end point
              >4. Edit/copy
              >5. Go to the new player window, Edit/Paste
              >6. GO TO #3 UNTIL DONE

              just to add to this:

              on apple Command B moves in out points to current playhead position.
              this makes it very fast and easy to do a series of butt edits. (is
              that what they're called, forgotten my videotape editing lessons of
              1986...)

              also you can drag the in and out points to mark a selection and then
              paste over the selection.
              you can also add scaled (via edit menu) which stretches or shrinks
              what you paste to what you've selected.
              you can also select by holding down shift while dragging playhead or
              while playing video.

              there isn't a timeline but that's because QT is not about linear film
              media. (the essays i've published on softvideo discuss this if you're
              interested). timelines assume linear continuous media. That's a
              rather large canonical assumption to make for something that is
              actually more about collage than montage :-)

              --
              cheers
              Adrian Miles
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 1, 2005
                around the 1/3/05 R. Kristiansen mentioned about [videoblogging] I
                need help that:
                >Xacti camera -> mpeg4 format -> computer. ok. the 10 minute interview
                >with president of norwegian liberal youth is in 640x480 (for our DVD /
                >CD-rom material later on)
                >
                >i save as .mov 320x240, no codec-use.
                >
                >then open new file. then export in QuickTime Pro -> .mov. I use 3ivx
                >codec. standard settings (as Michael Verdi suggests). then...
                >
                >it takes FOREVER to export the file
                >it becomes something like 35 megs.
                >
                >whats up with that?

                1. are you doing 2 pass?
                2. make sure you run the 2 pass and nominate which pass each time
                3. this does mean that in QT pro you have to compress TWICE.

                if it isn't working and you've got a deadline, i'd suggest just using
                Apples mpeg4 codec. single pass but will at least work for you.

                and cut and paste in QT pro and you can cut it down.
                (I could also mention Umberto Eco's famous observation on dos as
                protestant and macs as catholic and that Norway is, um, protestant
                (ie, not many macs) but shan't.) ;-)

                --
                cheers
                Adrian Miles