Re: Boston City Councillor John Tobin: 3rd video up on his site

  • bottomunion
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 1, 2005
      Anyone else feel like Meiser shouldn't write on this site past
      midnight? let alone 2:30 A.M?

      BEAT

      joke...he's long winded, but the man's got a lot to say, and with
      enthusiasm that is addicting. Have to say that there are definitely
      people who post here who I'm always clicking on to read what
      they have to say, no matter how long or brief, and Meiser is one
      of them. It's always interesting, well-thought/written, and always
      full of excitement and anticipation.

      Been thinking a ton about a person's contribution to this
      community, each moving their own way, doing their own thing,
      making things happen, which is why I've enjoyed this vlog
      anarchy post...because this group and everyone involved in
      blogging is in some way an anarchist, all working independently
      towards some mutual goal, which is neither defined nor really
      foreseeable...if only, maybe, change.

      So I'm sitting over here across the great salty pond loving it all,
      six hours ahead of Meiser...he's posted, and I'm having
      breakfast, he's probably going to sleep (Does Meiser
      sleep?)...anyway, just remarking on how beautiful everything
      is...and did I just post this on a Boston City Councillor John
      Tobin thread? Sorry Steve...Kick-ass work...

      Nelson

      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Michael Meiser
      <groups-yahoo-com@m...> wrote:
      > First of all I love it Steve. I want to see more, more, more! I have
      > feeling we'll all look back on this and realize how truly
      significant
      > these "firsts" are.
      >
      > Warning, I write to mutch. If you even dare read this, you are
      brave
      > and I thank you.
      >
      > A little perspective. One day in the not to distant future I will
      > expect when I type any local politicians name into google that I
      will
      > find not only a website and a blog, but video clips which they
      have
      > created as a tool of communicating directly with their
      constituents. I
      > will expect to hear their voice, see there face, and hear them
      talk
      > about what they feel are the important points not what's framed
      by the
      > big media, or worse yet not even discussed publicly at all. This
      will
      > be an immediate and very human connection, more like a
      conversation on
      > a phone than the mediated world we are use too.
      >
      > I believe that this expectation is something I can latch onto. It is
      > very real, tangible, and will have tremendous political
      ramifications.
      > Personally empowering and democratizing ramifications. With
      them will
      > come the expectation that I can send an email, blog about, or
      make a
      > phone call and expect that my questions and concerns are
      address and
      > not lost on the wind.
      >
      > This is the same sort of expectation that is rapidly evolving that
      when
      > I google a local band's name I can expect to find not only their
      > website but at least one or two songs from their latest album.
      That if
      > I punch in a videographer's name, I'll be able to find their
      > promotional reel. I can expect that if I contact them, speak
      about
      > them, play their song, or podcast their video in a blog, video
      blog or
      > podcast, that I will get an honest response if only a thank you.
      These
      > expectations will slowly shift into the more conservative area of
      > politics.
      >
      > I can see right now and am inspired by the fact that I can
      connect with
      > people in this way already, right now, though I never thought I
      would.
      > That I might within only a few weeks of discovering some artist,
      some
      > vlogger, or some creators of a piece of software that rocks my
      > previously heavily mediated world... I would be having a lively
      > conversation with them directly.
      >
      > Just months ago I would have asked myself why the author of
      a book like
      > the Anarchist in The library, and NYU professor would bother to
      > initiate a conversation with me regarding a post on my blog.
      Why a
      > venture capitalist with 10's of millions of dollars in investment
      would
      > respond to my blog post with an email, and I wouldn't have
      bothered to
      > write an email to the creator of site like KongisKing suggesting
      they
      > enable a RSS video cast feed, because I wouldn't have thought
      there was
      > a chance of getting a response. (I've gotten no response yet. ;)
      >
      > These connections I haven't yet grasped, they shock me or at
      the least
      > pleasantly surprise me, but nevertheless they're changing my
      > perspectives and my expectations one at a time. What we're
      going
      > through is an awakening of the spirit of the masses from a
      world that
      > was once dominated by centralized broadcast media, to a
      media world
      > where each may realize their value and place in proportion to
      the
      > whole. From... a world where only a very few "professionals"
      had access
      > and even then only very limited access. From... a world where
      an actor
      > or actress might expect backlash if they voiced a political
      concern
      > because it was outside of their "profession"... from a world
      where a
      > news correspondent who dared use their privilege to reveal a
      bias might
      > be fired... to a world where an 34 year old guy with no
      professional
      > political experience can write the most influential political blog
      in
      > the nation (DailyKos).
      >
      > Martin Luther King use to talk about going and preaching on
      the
      > mountain. I like to think of that as a metaphor for daring to
      speak
      > one's mind at the top of one's lungs for all to here. The
      difference is
      > now, we all have an opportunity to be heard, and and
      opportunity to
      > hear the whispering responses in the wind.
      >
      > These are profound changes in our media, with pro-found
      ramifications
      > which I'll leave you to ponder as I'm been more than long
      winded
      > enough. I will say that I've see time and again, that though we
      > usually completely misunderstand the outcome. The outcome
      is often way
      > more profound than we anticipated. Just look at the Tech
      Boom. We had
      > people running around the revolution is at hand. Then we had
      people
      > saying the show is over folks, it's all hype. And now we're doing
      > things more amazing than we'd ever anticipated before 2001,
      things we
      > never expected, what people are calling the real boom, the
      "tech
      > bloom".
      >
      > As I like to say "The future is here, it's NOTHING that we
      expected and
      > yet it's SO MUCH MORE."
      >
      > BTW, on a side note a friend contacted me today. I'd railed him
      about
      > starting a video blog, and today he contacted me about setting
      up a
      > weekly video-podcast for his pastor's sermons. A possible
      first
      > video-god cast? Do we have any contenders? Let the race
      begin for the
      > first video-casting preacher! :)
      >
      > > It will take time for politicians to find the right style to fit this
      > > medium, and even then there are many political people who
      will never
      > > feel confortable in front of a camera in the same way that
      most
      > > scientists do not ooze charisma on stage like rockstars do.
      > >
      > > For example some party political broadcasts by the smaller
      parties in
      > > the UK do more harm than good to the parties, because their
      lack
      > > of "media training" and unease in front of camera makes
      them look
      > > shifty in a sweaty Nixon sort of way.
      >
      > First, is anyone still reading?
      >
      > I think perceptions are going to change regarding the
      "professional
      > aesthetic" as mass amatuerization of media occurs. We may
      even reach a
      > point where "slick" professionalism receives backlash,
      certainly we'll
      > reach a state of backlash against video bloggers, and the
      video
      > blogging aesthetic because like blogging we're moving so fast.
      But,
      > we'll win them over. :)
      >
      > These concepts of value of production will change. I've been
      following
      > video blogging for only a couple moths and it's completely
      changed my
      > expectations and the value I placed on so called professional
      aesthetic
      > in production values. It's very similar to the debate going on
      over
      > non-bias / objectivity in traditional media vs. the point-of-view of
      > bloggers. They're different, but neither is better than the other.
      As
      > it turns out the real value may not in objectivity but in trust,
      > thoroughness, accuracy, and transparency.*

      *http://dangillmor.typepad.com/dan_gillmor_on_grassroots/200
      5/01/
      > the_end_of_obje.html
      >
      > With this massive slow shift to democratize media will come
      shifts in
      > other areas of culture happening simultaneously with politics.
      What
      > I'm speaking about is basic literacy. I used to think of one of the
      > most important and undervalue aspects of design as
      understanding
      > "visual literacy" and "cultural literacy". You have to understand
      the
      > "visual language" of a culture. There is fashion in visual
      language,
      > but there is also a tremendous amount of symbolism, an ever
      evolving
      > language. As a designer part of my job was to learn what kind
      of
      > typography, symbols, shapes, colors and other elements of
      visual
      > language were used in the industry / culture / market I talking
      to or
      > about. For example a law firm would have a completely
      different set of
      > visual queues than say PBS. Both would have a set of highly
      developed
      > visual languages. Some people simply call this context, some
      rituals,
      > but it's more than that, it's a language and wether conscious or
      not we
      > participate in this linguistics.
      >
      > The point is that learning the language of moving images, or of
      audio
      > broadcasting is just the same as reading and writing. I like to
      call it
      > "media literacy". There is a linguistics involved and it takes a
      long
      > time for people to become comfortable with and fluent in
      speaking in
      > the language of these new mediums. Nixon's refusal of
      makeup in his
      > televised presidential debate is a perfect example of this
      > misunderstanding or underestimating of the language of
      moving images.
      > Here we are at least 50 years into the broadcast media age
      and the news
      > commentary following the Kerry / Bush debate was more
      obsessed than
      > ever with the subtleties of this visual language. Not the content,
      but
      > who "looked" better, or carried themselves better. They were
      more
      > obsessed with appearances and perceptions than content.
      They were
      > obsessed with a visual language that we have not fully
      become
      > comfortable with. Once everyone gets used to seeing
      themselves on film

      http://www.itconversations.com/shows/detail313.html

      > This larger cultural change where people not only gain access
      to these
      > new rich-media / broadcast media but also become
      comfortable with
> [...]
      > percieved realities of the day, all the powerful people who will
      lean
      > on them etc.
      >
      > What Im trying to get at is that videoblogs do not free traditional
      > politicians from any of the current constraints on what policies
      they
      > talk about? A change in style but not substance can still be
      useful
      > if it reconnects more people to politics, but cries of hope for a
      > political revolution seem overoptimistic if were really just
      talking
      > about a new style/presentation of the same old political
      realities.

      > I am not poo-pooing the concept by any means, just trying not
      to get
      > carried away with expectations. Videoblogging doesnt remove
      any of
      > the existing "influential powers" that shape political decisions
      and
      > presentation. What it can do is expand knowledge, spread
      information.
      > It can empower people by making their voices heard.
      >
      > So I wonder how much of the real political change will come
      from
      > traditional politicians using videoblogs, as opposed to non-
      > politicians expressing their views on videoblogs and blogs,
      and maybe
      > even some new kind of videoblog politician that is truly born of
      the
      > media rather than being restrained by belonging to traditional
      > political parties?
      >
      > Does the fact that Raymonds party is a Youth party have
      benefits in
      > how much you can really benefit from videoblogs because
      perhaps there
      > is a bit more freedom to experiment with both style and
      substance?

      > As an individual I have more freedom of expression than if I
      were
      > videoblogging in a political party? And if I were up for election I
      > could say even less, and if I were in office even less, with every
      > increase of power comes an increase in vocal responsiblity
      that can
      > only lead to a continuation of phenomenon that turn people off
      > politics because the politicians are "on message"!?!
      >
      > Im hoping to be totally wrong. One of the problems I have today
      is
      > that I see quite a few "characters" in the older generation of
      > politicians, people who arent afraid to go off-message and
      stick to
      > their principals, but they seem to be a dying breed. Im less
      > impressed with newer generations, not just politicians, nearly
      all my
      > heros are dead now lol. If I have a hope for videoblogging and
      the
      > net in general, its that it continues to live up to its potential and
      > becomes the means that newer generations assert
      themselves and break
      > out of the plastic blandified corporotosphere, let the peoples
      soul
      > shine through!
      >
      > Oops sorry for the waffle, and my comments arent specifically
      > directed at the examples of political videoblogs so far, I
      comment
      > these pioneering steps, just dont want to underestimate the
      length of
      > the path to change, and all the things that wont change along
      the way.

      > Cheers
      >
      > Steve of Elbows
    • Michael Meiser
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 1, 2005
        Heh, if I didn't post at 2:30 in the morning, when else would I find
        the time. :)

        <groups-yahoo-com@m...> wrote:
> [...]
        > their principals, but they seem to be a dying breed. Im less
        > impressed with newer generations, not just politicians, nearly
        all my
        > heros are dead now lol. If I have a hope for videoblogging and
        the
        > net in general, its that it continues to live up to its potential and
        > becomes the means that newer generations assert
        themselves and break
        > out of the plastic blandified corporotosphere, let the peoples
        soul
        > shine through!
        >
        > Oops sorry for the waffle, and my comments arent specifically
        > directed at the examples of political videoblogs so far, I
        comment
        > these pioneering steps, just dont want to underestimate the
        length of
        > the path to change, and all the things that wont change along

        Yahoo! Groups Links