Re: [videoblogging] Re: Boston City Councillor John Tobin: 3rd video up on his site

  • Michael Meiser
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 28, 2005
      Nepal! I want to see that! Do let us know!

      > Example: Prakash, my friend from Nepal, just received his videocamera.
      > If he can videoblog without getting put in prison; SHOWING us how
      > things are Currently in Nepal, we can quote that, and I WILL be
      > confronting our ministry of foreign affairs on some issues.

      On Feb 25, 2005, at 10:30 PM, R. Kristiansen wrote:

      I will reply Steve Watkins points one by one, from my Personal point of
      view.

      On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 03:00:08 -0000, Steve Watkins <steve@...>
      wrote:
      > The very fact that videoblogs can be a perfect tool for politicians
      > is a primary reason why I cannot bring myself to believe that
      > videoblogs will definately change politics in the way I think people
      > like Ryanne hope.

      I will at least do all _I_ can to ensure that videoblogging will not
      just be a good tool for the politicians, but for the rest of the
      population as well. *Gasp* Yes, politicians are people too ;)

      > It will take time for politicians to find the right style to fit this
      > medium, and even then there are many political people who will never
      > feel confortable in front of a camera in the same way that most
      > scientists do not ooze charisma on stage like rockstars do.

      Political videoblogging can in fact be Anything but talking heads. The
      medium is in its infancy. I will experiment with it, just as I have
      done with my own personal video blog in the past.

      > For example some party political broadcasts by the smaller parties in
      > the UK do more harm than good to the parties, because their lack
      > of "media training" and unease in front of camera makes them look
      > shifty in a sweaty Nixon sort of way.

      Good point. This is why I have been working with introducing blogging
      in our youth party since october, and prepared for videoblogging since
      just a few days after I first figured out about videoblogging just
      before last christmas.

      > Politicians behave and present themselves the way they do for a whole
      > multitude of reasons. Just as with policy decisions when they reach
      > power, even the powerful do not have much free power of their own,
      > because they have all these constraints placed on them by the
      > percieved realities of the day, all the powerful people who will lean
      > on them etc.

      Again, good point. It will be interesting to see how we can hack that.
      At the "politicalvideoblogging" category of my blog, I will be
      covering among others this question as this spring proceeds.
      http://dltq.blogs.com/dltq/politicalvideoblogging/index.html

      > What Im trying to get at is that videoblogs do not free traditional
      > politicians from any of the current constraints on what policies they
      > talk about?

      No, but videoblogging DOES free time. I will give loads of examples of
      this later on - by Showing it, not just talking about it.

      > A change in style but not substance can still be useful
      > if it reconnects more people to politics, but cries of hope for a
      > political revolution seem overoptimistic if were really just talking
      > about a new style/presentation of the same old political realities.

      I aim for the stars, and it is ok if we just land on the moon this
      time around :)

      > Does the fact that Raymonds party is a Youth party have benefits in
      > how much you can really benefit from videoblogs because perhaps there
      > is a bit more freedom to experiment with both style and substance?

      Certainly!! Our mother party, where our ministers are Norway's
      minister of Justice, minister of Communication and minister of
      Agriculture and food, will have a lot more difficulties dealing with
      this medium. That is why we need John Tobin and Steve Garfield. That
      is why I personally am sure that it will work out. Maybe not as fast
      as we hope, but I will be pleased with even just a bit of added
      transparency in our civil society.

      > As an individual I have more freedom of expression than if I were
      > videoblogging in a political party? And if I were up for election I
      > could say even less, and if I were in office even less, with every
      > increase of power comes an increase in vocal responsiblity that can
      > only lead to a continuation of phenomenon that turn people off
      > politics because the politicians are "on message"!?!

      huh? The whole world is slowly becoming more open, Steve! Look at
      Microsoft's Channel 9! Would you even dream about that kind of
      openness 9 years ago? I am sure I wouldnt!

      General Motors are blogging. Boeing are. Wikis are hitting the big
      bang soon. Social software like del.icio.us will open up things even
      further. We will Still have hierarchies of information and power, but
      things Are unrooted.

      The kind of pessimism about media that is so darned popular is
      something I disagree with. Let's be frigging positive and see the
      challenges as a good thing! We can do this. There is no God, there is
      no big puppetmaster controlling the whole world (not even Bush has
      that role), and there are way more opportunities now for improving
      this fragile little world than ever through effective communication.

      Example: Prakash, my friend from Nepal, just received his videocamera.
      If he can videoblog without getting put in prison; SHOWING us how
      things are Currently in Nepal, we can quote that, and I WILL be
      confronting our ministry of foreign affairs on some issues.

      > Im hoping to be totally wrong. <snip> let the peoples soul
      > shine through!

      Souls will shine. I will do whatever I can to prove you wrong. If you
      are not wrong, we still can work at breaking those walls that
      suffocate us as a society.

      Raymond

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • bottomunion
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 1 12:02 AM
        Anyone else feel like Meiser shouldn't write on this site past
        midnight? let alone 2:30 A.M?

        BEAT

        joke...he's long winded, but the man's got a lot to say, and with
        enthusiasm that is addicting. Have to say that there are definitely
        people who post here who I'm always clicking on to read what
        they have to say, no matter how long or brief, and Meiser is one
        of them. It's always interesting, well-thought/written, and always
        full of excitement and anticipation.

        Been thinking a ton about a person's contribution to this
        community, each moving their own way, doing their own thing,
        making things happen, which is why I've enjoyed this vlog
        anarchy post...because this group and everyone involved in
        blogging is in some way an anarchist, all working independently
        towards some mutual goal, which is neither defined nor really
        foreseeable...if only, maybe, change.

        So I'm sitting over here across the great salty pond loving it all,
        six hours ahead of Meiser...he's posted, and I'm having
        breakfast, he's probably going to sleep (Does Meiser
        sleep?)...anyway, just remarking on how beautiful everything
        is...and did I just post this on a Boston City Councillor John
        Tobin thread? Sorry Steve...Kick-ass work...

        Nelson

        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Michael Meiser
        <groups-yahoo-com@m...> wrote:
        > First of all I love it Steve. I want to see more, more, more! I have
        > feeling we'll all look back on this and realize how truly
        significant
        > these "firsts" are.
        >
        > Warning, I write to mutch. If you even dare read this, you are
        brave
        > and I thank you.
        >
        > A little perspective. One day in the not to distant future I will
        > expect when I type any local politicians name into google that I
        will
        > find not only a website and a blog, but video clips which they
        have
        > created as a tool of communicating directly with their
        constituents. I
        > will expect to hear their voice, see there face, and hear them
        talk
        > about what they feel are the important points not what's framed
        by the
        > big media, or worse yet not even discussed publicly at all. This
        will
        > be an immediate and very human connection, more like a
        conversation on
        > a phone than the mediated world we are use too.
        >
        > I believe that this expectation is something I can latch onto. It is
        > very real, tangible, and will have tremendous political
        ramifications.
        > Personally empowering and democratizing ramifications. With
        them will
        > come the expectation that I can send an email, blog about, or
        make a
        > phone call and expect that my questions and concerns are
        address and
        > not lost on the wind.
        >
        > This is the same sort of expectation that is rapidly evolving that
        when
        > I google a local band's name I can expect to find not only their
        > website but at least one or two songs from their latest album.
        That if
        > I punch in a videographer's name, I'll be able to find their
        > promotional reel. I can expect that if I contact them, speak
        about
        > them, play their song, or podcast their video in a blog, video
        blog or
        > podcast, that I will get an honest response if only a thank you.
        These
        > expectations will slowly shift into the more conservative area of
        > politics.
        >
        > I can see right now and am inspired by the fact that I can
        connect with
        > people in this way already, right now, though I never thought I
        would.
        > That I might within only a few weeks of discovering some artist,
        some
        > vlogger, or some creators of a piece of software that rocks my
        > previously heavily mediated world... I would be having a lively
        > conversation with them directly.
        >
        > Just months ago I would have asked myself why the author of
        a book like
        > the Anarchist in The library, and NYU professor would bother to
        > initiate a conversation with me regarding a post on my blog.
        Why a
        > venture capitalist with 10's of millions of dollars in investment
        would
        > respond to my blog post with an email, and I wouldn't have
        bothered to
        > write an email to the creator of site like KongisKing suggesting
        they
        > enable a RSS video cast feed, because I wouldn't have thought
        there was
        > a chance of getting a response. (I've gotten no response yet. ;)
        >
        > These connections I haven't yet grasped, they shock me or at
        the least
        > pleasantly surprise me, but nevertheless they're changing my
        > perspectives and my expectations one at a time. What we're
        going
        > through is an awakening of the spirit of the masses from a
        world that
        > was once dominated by centralized broadcast media, to a
        media world
        > where each may realize their value and place in proportion to
        the
        > whole. From... a world where only a very few "professionals"
        had access
        > and even then only very limited access. From... a world where
        an actor
        > or actress might expect backlash if they voiced a political
        concern
        > because it was outside of their "profession"... from a world
        where a
        > news correspondent who dared use their privilege to reveal a
        bias might
        > be fired... to a world where an 34 year old guy with no
        professional
        > political experience can write the most influential political blog
        in
        > the nation (DailyKos).
        >
        > Martin Luther King use to talk about going and preaching on
        the
        > mountain. I like to think of that as a metaphor for daring to
        speak
        > one's mind at the top of one's lungs for all to here. The
        difference is
        > now, we all have an opportunity to be heard, and and
        opportunity to
        > hear the whispering responses in the wind.
        >
        > These are profound changes in our media, with pro-found
        ramifications
        > which I'll leave you to ponder as I'm been more than long
        winded
        > enough. I will say that I've see time and again, that though we
        > usually completely misunderstand the outcome. The outcome
        is often way
        > more profound than we anticipated. Just look at the Tech
        Boom. We had
        > people running around the revolution is at hand. Then we had
        people
        > saying the show is over folks, it's all hype. And now we're doing
        > things more amazing than we'd ever anticipated before 2001,
        things we
        > never expected, what people are calling the real boom, the
        "tech
        > bloom".
        >
        > As I like to say "The future is here, it's NOTHING that we
        expected and
        > yet it's SO MUCH MORE."
        >
        > BTW, on a side note a friend contacted me today. I'd railed him
        about
        > starting a video blog, and today he contacted me about setting
        up a
        > weekly video-podcast for his pastor's sermons. A possible
        first
        > video-god cast? Do we have any contenders? Let the race
        begin for the
        > first video-casting preacher! :)
        >
        > > It will take time for politicians to find the right style to fit this
        > > medium, and even then there are many political people who
        will never
        > > feel confortable in front of a camera in the same way that
        most
        > > scientists do not ooze charisma on stage like rockstars do.
        > >
        > > For example some party political broadcasts by the smaller
        parties in
        > > the UK do more harm than good to the parties, because their
        lack
        > > of "media training" and unease in front of camera makes
        them look
        > > shifty in a sweaty Nixon sort of way.
        >
        > First, is anyone still reading?
        >
        > I think perceptions are going to change regarding the
        "professional
        > aesthetic" as mass amatuerization of media occurs. We may
        even reach a
        > point where "slick" professionalism receives backlash,
        certainly we'll
        > reach a state of backlash against video bloggers, and the
        video
        > blogging aesthetic because like blogging we're moving so fast.
        But,
        > we'll win them over. :)
        >
        > These concepts of value of production will change. I've been
        following
        > video blogging for only a couple moths and it's completely
        changed my
        > expectations and the value I placed on so called professional
        aesthetic
        > in production values. It's very similar to the debate going on
        over
        > non-bias / objectivity in traditional media vs. the point-of-view of
        > bloggers. They're different, but neither is better than the other.
        As
        > it turns out the real value may not in objectivity but in trust,
        > thoroughness, accuracy, and transparency.*

        *http://dangillmor.typepad.com/dan_gillmor_on_grassroots/200
        5/01/
        > the_end_of_obje.html
        >
        > With this massive slow shift to democratize media will come
        shifts in
        > other areas of culture happening simultaneously with politics.
        What
        > I'm speaking about is basic literacy. I used to think of one of the
        > most important and undervalue aspects of design as
        understanding
        > "visual literacy" and "cultural literacy". You have to understand
        the
        > "visual language" of a culture. There is fashion in visual
        language,
        > but there is also a tremendous amount of symbolism, an ever
        evolving
        > language. As a designer part of my job was to learn what kind
        of
        > typography, symbols, shapes, colors and other elements of
        visual
        > language were used in the industry / culture / market I talking
        to or
        > about. For example a law firm would have a completely
        different set of
        > visual queues than say PBS. Both would have a set of highly
        developed
        > visual languages. Some people simply call this context, some
        rituals,
        > but it's more than that, it's a language and wether conscious or
        not we
        > participate in this linguistics.
        >
        > The point is that learning the language of moving images, or of
        audio
        > broadcasting is just the same as reading and writing. I like to
        call it
        > "media literacy". There is a linguistics involved and it takes a
        long
        > time for people to become comfortable with and fluent in
        speaking in
        > the language of these new mediums. Nixon's refusal of
        makeup in his
        > televised presidential debate is a perfect example of this
        > misunderstanding or underestimating of the language of
        moving images.
        > Here we are at least 50 years into the broadcast media age
        and the news
        > commentary following the Kerry / Bush debate was more
        obsessed than
        > ever with the subtleties of this visual language. Not the content,
        but
        > who "looked" better, or carried themselves better. They were
        more
        > obsessed with appearances and perceptions than content.
        They were

        http://www.itconversations.com/shows/detail313.html

        > This larger cultural change where people not only gain access
        to these
        > new rich-media / broadcast media but also become
        comfortable with
> [...]
        > percieved realities of the day, all the powerful people who will
        lean
        > on them etc.
        >
        > What Im trying to get at is that videoblogs do not free traditional
        > politicians from any of the current constraints on what policies
        they
        > talk about? A change in style but not substance can still be
        useful
        > if it reconnects more people to politics, but cries of hope for a
        > political revolution seem overoptimistic if were really just
        talking
        > about a new style/presentation of the same old political
        realities.

        > I am not poo-pooing the concept by any means, just trying not
        to get
        > carried away with expectations. Videoblogging doesnt remove
        any of
        > the existing "influential powers" that shape political decisions
        and
        > presentation. What it can do is expand knowledge, spread
        information.
        > It can empower people by making their voices heard.
        >
        > So I wonder how much of the real political change will come
        from
        > traditional politicians using videoblogs, as opposed to non-
        > politicians expressing their views on videoblogs and blogs,
        and maybe
        > even some new kind of videoblog politician that is truly born of
        the
        > media rather than being restrained by belonging to traditional
        > political parties?
        >
        > Does the fact that Raymonds party is a Youth party have
        benefits in
        > how much you can really benefit from videoblogs because
        perhaps there
        > is a bit more freedom to experiment with both style and
        substance?

        > As an individual I have more freedom of expression than if I
        were
        > videoblogging in a political party? And if I were up for election I
        > could say even less, and if I were in office even less, with every
        > increase of power comes an increase in vocal responsiblity
        that can
        > only lead to a continuation of phenomenon that turn people off
        > politics because the politicians are "on message"!?!
        >
        > Im hoping to be totally wrong. One of the problems I have today
        is
        > that I see quite a few "characters" in the older generation of
        > politicians, people who arent afraid to go off-message and
        stick to
        > their principals, but they seem to be a dying breed. Im less
        > impressed with newer generations, not just politicians, nearly
        all my
        > heros are dead now lol. If I have a hope for videoblogging and
        the
        > net in general, its that it continues to live up to its potential and
        > becomes the means that newer generations assert
        themselves and break
        > out of the plastic blandified corporotosphere, let the peoples
        soul
        > shine through!
        >
        > Oops sorry for the waffle, and my comments arent specifically
        > directed at the examples of political videoblogs so far, I
        comment
        > these pioneering steps, just dont want to underestimate the
        length of
        > the path to change, and all the things that wont change along
        the way.

        > Cheers
        >
        > Steve of Elbows
      • Michael Meiser
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 1 11:31 PM
          Heh, if I didn't post at 2:30 in the morning, when else would I find
          the time. :)

          <groups-yahoo-com@m...> wrote:
> [...]
          > their principals, but they seem to be a dying breed. Im less
          > impressed with newer generations, not just politicians, nearly
          all my
          > heros are dead now lol. If I have a hope for videoblogging and
          the
          > net in general, its that it continues to live up to its potential and
          > becomes the means that newer generations assert
          themselves and break
          > out of the plastic blandified corporotosphere, let the peoples
          soul
          > shine through!
          >
          > Oops sorry for the waffle, and my comments arent specifically
          > directed at the examples of political videoblogs so far, I
          comment
          > these pioneering steps, just dont want to underestimate the
          length of
          > the path to change, and all the things that wont change along

          Yahoo! Groups Links