Re: Plugin for Video Comments

  • Steve Watkins
    Message 1 of 71 , Jan 31, 2008
      Yes thats an interesting service, although the comments on Scoble's blog post about it,
      give an indication of some of the reservations people have about this sort of thing:

      http://scobleizer.com/2007/12/04/bloggers-hot-new-commenting-system-from-
      disqus/

      Im not sure it goes too far at harnessing all those forums to make a broader community,
      well it does, just not quite how Id imagined it, maybe it is a good model, maybe it is a tad
      confusing or open to stalking abuse, I dunno, I need to look at the other similar services.
      Its good to know there are people trying this stuff, I have my doubts about their chances
      of success.

      Maybe comments/forums/whatever being aggregated together, so that the hub isnt the
      host of that data, only the window to seeing it all in once place, is the answer, but Im not
      quite sure how that would be done in a way that people can actually digest stuff nicely.

      I just cant get excited about single services that require a lot of users to make their plan
      work. Need lots of different services & software that is interoperable. Signing up to another
      service that will be the centre of your digital life for at least the next 5 minutes, is growing
      tiresome. And this is still true even though companies are trying harder than ever to open
      up more, I just not sure the 'promised land' can be reached unless they open up to such an
      extent that they exterminate their own potential revenue stream dreams.

      Oh well, I guess the web is likely to remain a tangled web with plenty of fragmentation, for
      the forseeable. I suppose it is a great strength as well as a weakness - oh the splendid
      inconveniences and inefficiency of it all.

      Cheers

      Steve Elbows
      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Sull <sulleleven@...> wrote:

      > something like disqus.com, which deems it important to allow data
      > export and not be a walled garden using yours and your commenters
      > content.
      >
      > On Jan 31, 2008 5:01 PM, Steve Watkins <steve@...> wrote:
      >
      > So maybe a part of effective conversations, comments, communication,
      > is bridging the
      > gap between the shared space of groups, forums, etc, with the personal
      > space of people's
      > own blogs?

    • Sull
      Message 71 of 71 , Feb 5, 2008
        Charles,

        Regarding semantic markup... Indeed.
        That's why i made mention of XFN earlier to imply that taking the same
        concepts of people relations through semantics (my profiles and
        friends profiles and discovering connections), the same should be
        applied to the conversations being had among these people.

        If you are posting a response to another post (barring
        trackback/pingback/linkback), making use of semantic markup can build
        the graph that can be mapped out and presented logically. a simple
        rel or rev with url to the permalink and/or media file along with
        other sensible extensions is how this thing should sprout

        I've thought a little on what structure can be applied. When thinking
        about media pooling, such as the Semanal video pool.... its not truly
        about commenting, replying and responding. its about contributing and
        participating.
        But a contributed video to Semanal can also be a response to another
        video. So it might make sense to focus on multiple methods and means
        to interconnecting media and people in ways that can be trailed via
        web services and plugins to common platforms such as WP, Drupal etc.

        As far as output... how it all would look and feel. that's maybe a
        bit moot in the beginning stages because once the groundwork is in
        place, then developers and designers can have infinite ways to present
        the relationships and content. I think MIke pointed that out earleir
        in this thread or somewhere. It's all challenging and definately the
        look and feel discussion is important and should be happening
        concurrently... with people doing mockups and prototypes. But some
        level of samepageism needs to be set.

        sull