Best Youtube compression out of Adobe Premiere CS3

  • Renat Zarbailov
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 31, 2008
      After 2 years of constant search for the ideal compression scheme, I
      have finally come to a solution. If you're using Adobe Premiere CS3
      and you edit your footage in 16X9 standard definition, simply do the
      following.

      1. Sharpen the video to the point you see some dotty artifacts
      appearing in the video (looks like a jpeg still image when highly
      compressed)

      2. Right out of timeline, without even hitting enter to render SD
      edited material, go to export, adobe media encoder. Once there under
      format choose "Windows Media", and under preset "NTSC Source to
      Download 1024kbps", however, that is not all, we will edit this preset
      and then save it as a Youtube one for future sweet encoding :)
      So now, in the video tab...

      BASIC VIDEO SETTINGS make sure you have the following;
      Allow interlaced processing - unchecked
      Encoding passes - Two
      Bitrate mode - Constant
      Frame W/H 640X480
      Frame rate 29.97 but depending on your footage (some people shoot in
      24 frames)
      Pixel aspect ration (important) - D1 DV NTSC (0.9) this is 4X3
      although the original footage is 16X9

      BITRATE SETTINGS
      Maximum bitrate - 3,739.63 (yes under 4mbps)
      Image quality - 100

      ADVANCED SETTINGS
      Decoder complexity - Main
      Keyframe interval - 5
      Buffer size - Default

      Now go to "Audio" tab

      change Audio format to 192kbps 44 stereo VBR

      3. Hit OK on the bottom (you will see that the estimated file size is
      beyond 100mb allowed by youtube but don't worry, if you go the
      approach described below all will be fine). Save to file to you har drive.

      4. Log in to youtube and at the upload page, on the right hand side
      you will see a new "Multi video uploaded" button to upload files
      larger than 100MB or upload many files at once!

      That's it! :)

      If you have achieved better quality using Premiere CS3 I sure would
      like to hear about it.

      Thanks

      Renat of Innomind.org and Mr.Thyself.com
    • Chris
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 31, 2008
        I'm confused about changing the aspect ratio for output. Won't the
        image end up smooshed?

        Chris

        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Renat Zarbailov" <innomind@...>

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 31, 2008
          Yeah that is the disadvantage of shooting in 16X9 and outputting to
          youtube.
          Ideally it would be best to shoot in 4X3 and not change the aspect
          ratio but if you you want to preserve the videos for future shoot in 16X9.

          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <cjburdick@...> wrote:

          > I'm confused about changing the aspect ratio for output. Won't the
          > image end up smooshed?
          >
          > Chris
          >
          > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Renat Zarbailov" <innomind@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > After 2 years of constant search for the ideal compression scheme, I
          > > have finally come to a solution. If you're using Adobe Premiere CS3
          > > and you edit your footage in 16X9 standard definition, simply do the
          > > following.
          > >
          > > 1. Sharpen the video to the point you see some dotty artifacts
          > > appearing in the video (looks like a jpeg still image when highly
          > > compressed)
          > >
          > > 2. Right out of timeline, without even hitting enter to render SD
          > > edited material, go to export, adobe media encoder. Once there under
          > > format choose "Windows Media", and under preset "NTSC Source to
          > > Download 1024kbps", however, that is not all, we will edit this preset
          > > and then save it as a Youtube one for future sweet encoding :)
          > > So now, in the video tab...
          > >
          > > BASIC VIDEO SETTINGS make sure you have the following;
          > > Allow interlaced processing - unchecked
          > > Encoding passes - Two
          > > Bitrate mode - Constant
          > > Frame W/H 640X480
          > > Frame rate 29.97 but depending on your footage (some people shoot in
          > > 24 frames)
          > > Pixel aspect ration (important) - D1 DV NTSC (0.9) this is 4X3
          > > although the original footage is 16X9
          > >
          > > BITRATE SETTINGS
          > > Maximum bitrate - 3,739.63 (yes under 4mbps)
          > > Image quality - 100
          > >
          > > ADVANCED SETTINGS
          > > Decoder complexity - Main
          > > Keyframe interval - 5
          > > Buffer size - Default
          > >
          > > Now go to "Audio" tab
          > >
          > > change Audio format to 192kbps 44 stereo VBR
          > >
          > > 3. Hit OK on the bottom (you will see that the estimated file size is
          > > beyond 100mb allowed by youtube but don't worry, if you go the
          > > approach described below all will be fine). Save to file to you har
          > drive.
          > >
          > > 4. Log in to youtube and at the upload page, on the right hand side
          > > you will see a new "Multi video uploaded" button to upload files
          > > larger than 100MB or upload many files at once!
          > >
          > > That's it! :)
          > >
          > > If you have achieved better quality using Premiere CS3 I sure would
          > > like to hear about it.
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > >
          > > Renat of Innomind.org and Mr.Thyself.com

        • Kary Rogers
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 31, 2008
            If you upload 16x9 to YouTube they will automatically letterbox it for you.
            MySpace does as well. Some sites do not.

            --
            Kary Rogers
            http://www.GoodCommitment.tv

            On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 5:15 PM, Renat Zarbailov <innomind@...> wrote:

            > Yeah that is the disadvantage of shooting in 16X9 and outputting to
            > youtube.
            > Ideally it would be best to shoot in 4X3 and not change the aspect
            > ratio but if you you want to preserve the videos for future shoot in 16X9.

            > "Chris" <cjburdick@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I'm confused about changing the aspect ratio for output. Won't the
            > > image end up smooshed?
            > >
            > > Chris

          • Renat Zarbailov
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 31, 2008
              Yes that's true but at the expense. The vid then looks washed out.

              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Kary Rogers" <kr@...> wrote:

              > If you upload 16x9 to YouTube they will automatically letterbox it
              for you.
              > MySpace does as well. Some sites do not.
              >
              > --
              > Kary Rogers
              > http://www.GoodCommitment.tv
              >
              > On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 5:15 PM, Renat Zarbailov <innomind@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Yeah that is the disadvantage of shooting in 16X9 and outputting to
              > > youtube.
              > > Ideally it would be best to shoot in 4X3 and not change the aspect
              > > ratio but if you you want to preserve the videos for future shoot
              in 16X9.

              > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com
              <videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com>,
              > > "Chris" <cjburdick@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I'm confused about changing the aspect ratio for output. Won't the
              > > > image end up smooshed?
              > > >
              > > > Chris

            • Renat Zarbailov
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
                By the way here is the link to the final video with the compression I
                mentioned about...
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exvu8Bqx5vQ

                Is this kick ass quality for youtube or what??

                Cheers

                wrote:

                > After 2 years of constant search for the ideal compression scheme, I
                > have finally come to a solution. If you're using Adobe Premiere CS3
                > and you edit your footage in 16X9 standard definition, simply do the
                > following.
                >
                > 1. Sharpen the video to the point you see some dotty artifacts
                > appearing in the video (looks like a jpeg still image when highly
                > compressed)
                >
                > 2. Right out of timeline, without even hitting enter to render SD
                > edited material, go to export, adobe media encoder. Once there under
                > format choose "Windows Media", and under preset "NTSC Source to
                > Download 1024kbps", however, that is not all, we will edit this preset
                > and then save it as a Youtube one for future sweet encoding :)
                > So now, in the video tab...
                >
                > BASIC VIDEO SETTINGS make sure you have the following;
                > Allow interlaced processing - unchecked
                > Encoding passes - Two
                > Bitrate mode - Constant
                > Frame W/H 640X480
                > Frame rate 29.97 but depending on your footage (some people shoot in
                > 24 frames)
                > Pixel aspect ration (important) - D1 DV NTSC (0.9) this is 4X3
                > although the original footage is 16X9
                >
                > BITRATE SETTINGS
                > Maximum bitrate - 3,739.63 (yes under 4mbps)
                > Image quality - 100
                >
                > ADVANCED SETTINGS
                > Decoder complexity - Main
                > Keyframe interval - 5
                > Buffer size - Default
                >
                > Now go to "Audio" tab
                >
                > change Audio format to 192kbps 44 stereo VBR
                >
                > 3. Hit OK on the bottom (you will see that the estimated file size is
                > beyond 100mb allowed by youtube but don't worry, if you go the
                > approach described below all will be fine). Save to file to you har
                drive.

                > 4. Log in to youtube and at the upload page, on the right hand side
                > you will see a new "Multi video uploaded" button to upload files
                > larger than 100MB or upload many files at once!
                >
                > That's it! :)
                >
                > If you have achieved better quality using Premiere CS3 I sure would
                > like to hear about it.
                >
                > Thanks
                >
                > Renat of Innomind.org and Mr.Thyself.com

              • Ron Watson
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
                  I've been getting quite a bit of success by softening my videos a
                  bit. . It makes sense when you think about it. If you take the edges
                  off the image, there is less information, meaning the bitrate will
                  have more of the good stuff in there and not get bogged down on the
                  jagged edges of a picket fence or window blinds.

                  So what I've been doing with my stuff recently is taking it right out
                  of iMovie or FCP as an h.264, 320x240 .mov file at a bitrate of 1000
                  with a blur setting of one in the filter.

                  Examples:
                  http://youtube.com/watch?v=dvHHhxsUlQc (progressive...thanks BC)
                  http://youtube.com/watch?v=hEd1962JH2k

                  Old non-blurred footage:
                  http://youtube.com/watch?v=3rUMNSxBK3Y
                  http://youtube.com/watch?v=_EgYT0BKc-g

                  We do lots of panning and it's high action footage and our image
                  quality has dramatically improved since doing this.

                  I got the tip from a you tuber, but can't find the video.

                  Cheers,
                  Ron Watson
                  http://k9disc.blip.tv
                  http://k9disc.com
                  http://discdogradio.com
                  http://pawsitivevybe.com

                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
                    You could just letter box. CS3 does that doesn't it?

                    Forgot to mention that. I shoot 16x9 and letter box the output as a
                    320x240 h.264 .mov, bitrate of 1000, blur filter of 1.

                    Cheers,
                    Ron Watson
                    http://k9disc.blip.tv
                    http://k9disc.com
                    http://discdogradio.com
                    http://pawsitivevybe.com

                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
                      How about this, Renat:
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSwNz2wu5Gg

                      Cheers,
                      Ron Watson
                      http://k9disc.blip.tv
                      http://k9disc.com
                      http://discdogradio.com
                      http://pawsitivevybe.com

                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
                        Yeah but your footage is not handheld. When the cam is on a tripod the
                        footage in most cases looks great, especially if the scene is well lit.

                        Now, you were talking about blurring the video instead of sharpening
                        it?? Did I miss something? I mean those examples looked nice but I am
                        sure if you would have sharpened them they would look even better.

                        Also, I noticed a weird thing about youtube yesterday. When I opened
                        that same resulting video
                        (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exvu8Bqx5vQ)in Internet Exploer 6, the
                        video looked not as sharp as on Firefox 2. Another thing I noticed is
                        when you press that little screen button on youtube player on that
                        video it doesn't scale down. Which made me wonder if youtube is wising
                        up and finally using the H.264 engine, hence the very sharp video.

                        What are your thoughts on this guys?

                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
                          All of the other footage is handheld.
                          Try to blur your video. It works. It was not a typo.

                          Cheers,

                          Ron Watson
                          http://k9disc.blip.tv
                          http://k9disc.com