vlogs.it

  • Michael Sullivan
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 28, 2005
      http://www.vlogs.it/archives/2005/02/19/vlogsit-what-is-it-all-about/

      what will become.....? a little vlog hosting things about to sprout

      --
      ~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~
      i n t e r d i g i t a t e . c o m
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 28, 2005
        I don't understand. 5 w's aren't answered anywhere on the site. Do
        you know what this is, Michael?

        -Adam

        On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 14:07:50 -0500, Michael Sullivan
        <sulleleven@...> wrote:

        > http://www.vlogs.it/archives/2005/02/19/vlogsit-what-is-it-all-about/
        >
        > what will become.....? a little vlog hosting things about to sprout
        >
        > --
        > ~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~
        > i n t e r d i g i t a t e . c o m

      • Michael Sullivan
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 28, 2005
          its going to be a hosting service...
          stumbled on it from this page:
          http://www.rjb.za.net/

          On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 14:18:28 -0500, Adam Quirk <bullemhead@...> wrote:

          > I don't understand. 5 w's aren't answered anywhere on the site. Do
          > you know what this is, Michael?
          >
          > -Adam
          >
          > On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 14:07:50 -0500, Michael Sullivan
          > <sulleleven@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > http://www.vlogs.it/archives/2005/02/19/vlogsit-what-is-it-all-about/
          > >
          > > what will become.....? a little vlog hosting things about to sprout
          > >
          > > --
          > > ~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~
          > > i n t e r d i g i t a t e . c o m

          ~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~
          i n t e r d i g i t a t e . c o m
          =====================
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 28, 2005
            > I don't understand. 5 w's aren't answered anywhere on the site. Do
            > you know what this is, Michael?

            ______________________
            VLog Anyone?
            Posted on Wednesday 23 February 2005

            Lee Wilkins has set up a great hosting service for anyone wanting to
            start a video log. $5 a month or $50 a year and you get hosting and
            unlimited bandwidth for your vlog with (yourname).vlogs.it as your
            hostname.

            http://www.rjb.za.net/archives/2005/02/23/vlog-anyone/
            _______________________

            I think this guy is in this group....the name looks familiar.
            love to hear how he plans to make it happen.
            unlimited bandwidth?
            wow.
          • Josh Wolf
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 28, 2005
              What does unlimited bandwidth mean? Can I put up the vob files for my
              DVD and let people DL it over the course of a week? Not that anyone
              would want to DL my DVD but "unlimited" should mean that I could... not
              bad for $50 a year...

              Josh

              On Feb 28, 2005, at 11:45 AM, Jay dedman wrote:

              > > I don't understand.  5 w's aren't answered anywhere on the site.  Do
              > > you know what this is, Michael?
              >
              > ______________________
              > VLog Anyone?
              > Posted on Wednesday 23 February 2005
              >
              > Lee Wilkins has set up a great hosting service for anyone wanting to
              > start a video log. $5 a month or $50 a year and you get hosting and
              > unlimited bandwidth for your vlog with (yourname).vlogs.it as your
              > hostname.
              >
              > http://www.rjb.za.net/archives/2005/02/23/vlog-anyone/
              > _______________________
              >
              > I think this guy is in this group....the name looks familiar.
              > love to hear how he plans to make it happen.
              > unlimited bandwidth?
              > wow.
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              > <22305_0205_016_b_300250_a.gif>
              > <l.gif>

              > Service.

              "We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into to peace."
              "Power to the peaceful!"

              Spearhead - Bomb the World
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 28, 2005
                > > ______________________
                > > VLog Anyone?
                > > Posted on Wednesday 23 February 2005
                > >
                > > Lee Wilkins has set up a great hosting service for anyone wanting to
                > > start a video log. $5 a month or $50 a year and you get hosting and
                > > unlimited bandwidth for your vlog with (yourname).vlogs.it as your
                > > hostname.
                > >
                > > http://www.rjb.za.net/archives/2005/02/23/vlog-anyone/
                > > _______________________

                Hey lee--

                i think you posted some info on the videoblogigng group.
                we found this post recently.
                you care to share the scoop?
                you really mean UNLIMITED bandwdith?

                Jay
              • yveywonder
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 28, 2005
                  Doteasy offers unmetered bandwidth for $9.95/mo. I've been using them
                  as a hosting service for awhile now. I think this is a new offering.
                  Maybe the newest feature for ISPs to offer...

                  Check it out:
                  http://doteasy.com/Services/WebHosting/

                  --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@g...>
                  wrote:
                  > > > ______________________
                  > > > VLog Anyone?
                  > > > Posted on Wednesday 23 February 2005
                  > > >
                  > > > Lee Wilkins has set up a great hosting service for anyone
                  wanting to
                  > > > start a video log. $5 a month or $50 a year and you get
                  hosting and
                  > > > unlimited bandwidth for your vlog with (yourname).vlogs.it as
                  your
                  > > > hostname.
                  > > >
                  > > > http://www.rjb.za.net/archives/2005/02/23/vlog-anyone/
                  > > > _______________________
                  >
                  > Hey lee--
                  >
                  > i think you posted some info on the videoblogigng group.
                  > we found this post recently.
                  > you care to share the scoop?
                  > you really mean UNLIMITED bandwdith?
                  >
                  > Jay
                • R. Kristiansen
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 28, 2005
                    Dear videobloggers,

                    I have seriously been feeling quite strange the last days. Today it
                    became official that I have started working for a company that makes
                    blogging software (www.blogsoft.net). It is a small Norwegian upstart,
                    but we have a few important clients already and we are expanding. I am
                    videoblogging responsible, and ever since I was offered this job - and
                    I accepted - I have been having this nagging tickle in my mind. It is
                    driving me crazy sometimes.

                    Yes, I have been working for companies before, as well as NGOs and
                    political parties. Yet I have never had a conflict of personal
                    interests like now, and I would just like to ask about your thoughts
                    on this.

                    How can I continue making videoblogs without being seen as simply
                    doing cheap PR for my company? How can I mention my "day job" without
                    feeling dirty? Is it just something wrong with me, or is this a
                    general problem for people who suddenly find themselves working for
                    The Evil Capitalists?

                    I want to continue to videoblog, to be able to be silly, and make a
                    vlog while drunk, or having another bad hair day, or when I complain
                    about some political issue or whatever. This is, obviously, a very new
                    situation for me, and I seriously have no idea how to handle it.

                    I want to stay true to myself, while not compromising my employers. I
                    want to be able to hold several roles and mix them but not mix them so
                    much that it becomes ugly and cheap.

                    Any thoughts on this?

                    best regards,

                    Raymond M. Kristiansen
                    - can I still just be a videoblogger?
                  • Adam Quirk
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 28, 2005
                      Does your company read/view DLTQ?

                      Do you like your company? If so, vlog about it if you want to! There
                      are no restrictions on what you can talk about, remember?

                      Congrats on the new job.
                      Keep up the good work with DLTQ.
                      -Adam

                      On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 01:15:18 +0100, R. Kristiansen <raymondmk@...> wrote:

                      > Dear videobloggers,
                      >
                      > I have seriously been feeling quite strange the last days. Today it
                      > became official that I have started working for a company that makes
                      > blogging software (www.blogsoft.net). It is a small Norwegian upstart,
                      > but we have a few important clients already and we are expanding. I am
                      > videoblogging responsible, and ever since I was offered this job - and
                      > I accepted - I have been having this nagging tickle in my mind. It is
                      > driving me crazy sometimes.
                      >
                      > Yes, I have been working for companies before, as well as NGOs and
                      > political parties. Yet I have never had a conflict of personal
                      > interests like now, and I would just like to ask about your thoughts
                      > on this.
                      >
                      > How can I continue making videoblogs without being seen as simply
                      > doing cheap PR for my company? How can I mention my "day job" without
                      > feeling dirty? Is it just something wrong with me, or is this a
                      > general problem for people who suddenly find themselves working for
                      > The Evil Capitalists?
                      >
                      > I want to continue to videoblog, to be able to be silly, and make a
                      > vlog while drunk, or having another bad hair day, or when I complain
                      > about some political issue or whatever. This is, obviously, a very new
                      > situation for me, and I seriously have no idea how to handle it.
                      >
                      > I want to stay true to myself, while not compromising my employers. I
                      > want to be able to hold several roles and mix them but not mix them so
                      > much that it becomes ugly and cheap.
                      >
                      > Any thoughts on this?
                      >
                      > best regards,
                      >
                      > Raymond M. Kristiansen
                      > - can I still just be a videoblogger?
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Lisa Harper
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 28, 2005
                        It sounds like an ethical dilemma, Raymond. Maybe you could keep two
                        blogs. One remains entirely personal. It's you and it's about you and
                        all of your interests, and the other, perhaps, crosses the line into
                        discussion about products and work. Of course, that has to be okay
                        with your company. I face this dilemma almost daily. I'd love to talk
                        about work, but I won't do it on my personal blog. I'm thinking of
                        creating a couple of re-blogs that reflect my work interests but still
                        maintain anonymity when it comes to particular projects or sponsors.
                        Lisa
                        http://www.lisaharper.org

                        On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 01:15:18 +0100, R. Kristiansen <raymondmk@...> wrote:

                        > Dear videobloggers,
                        >
                        > I have seriously been feeling quite strange the last days. Today it
                        > became official that I have started working for a company that makes
                        > blogging software (www.blogsoft.net). It is a small Norwegian upstart,
                        > but we have a few important clients already and we are expanding. I am
                        > videoblogging responsible, and ever since I was offered this job - and
                        > I accepted - I have been having this nagging tickle in my mind. It is
                        > driving me crazy sometimes.
                        >
                        > Yes, I have been working for companies before, as well as NGOs and
                        > political parties. Yet I have never had a conflict of personal
                        > interests like now, and I would just like to ask about your thoughts
                        > on this.
                        >
                        > How can I continue making videoblogs without being seen as simply
                        > doing cheap PR for my company? How can I mention my "day job" without
                        > feeling dirty? Is it just something wrong with me, or is this a
                        > general problem for people who suddenly find themselves working for
                        > The Evil Capitalists?
                        >
                        > I want to continue to videoblog, to be able to be silly, and make a
                        > vlog while drunk, or having another bad hair day, or when I complain
                        > about some political issue or whatever. This is, obviously, a very new
                        > situation for me, and I seriously have no idea how to handle it.
                        >
                        > I want to stay true to myself, while not compromising my employers. I
                        > want to be able to hold several roles and mix them but not mix them so
                        > much that it becomes ugly and cheap.
                        >
                        > Any thoughts on this?
                        >
                        > best regards,
                        >
                        > Raymond M. Kristiansen
                        > - can I still just be a videoblogger?

                        Lisa Harper
                        http://www.lisaharper.org
                      • Joshua Kinberg
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 28, 2005
                          just remain transparent. There are several examples of bloggers who
                          work for companies and are upfront about it. Sometimes they talk about
                          their companies, but usually in a frank way, and they usually know
                          where the line is betweenacceptable information and TMI.

                          A favorite example of mine is Jeremy Zawodny who works for Yahoo!
                          (http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/). He writes about a lot of things,
                          including Yahoo! from time to time. He's frank, honest, but doesn't
                          cross the line where he might be giving away too much insight into the
                          inner workings of Yahoo!

                          -Josh

                          On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 19:28:50 -0500, Adam Quirk <bullemhead@...> wrote:

                          > Does your company read/view DLTQ?
                          >
                          > Do you like your company? If so, vlog about it if you want to! There
                          > are no restrictions on what you can talk about, remember?
                          >
                          > Congrats on the new job.
                          > Keep up the good work with DLTQ.
                          > -Adam
                          >

                          > On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 01:15:18 +0100, R. Kristiansen <raymondmk@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Dear videobloggers,
                          > >
                          > > I have seriously been feeling quite strange the last days. Today it
                          > > became official that I have started working for a company that makes
                          > > blogging software (www.blogsoft.net). It is a small Norwegian upstart,
                          > > but we have a few important clients already and we are expanding. I am
                          > > videoblogging responsible, and ever since I was offered this job - and
                          > > I accepted - I have been having this nagging tickle in my mind. It is
                          > > driving me crazy sometimes.
                          > >
                          > > Yes, I have been working for companies before, as well as NGOs and
                          > > political parties. Yet I have never had a conflict of personal
                          > > interests like now, and I would just like to ask about your thoughts
                          > > on this.
                          > >
                          > > How can I continue making videoblogs without being seen as simply
                          > > doing cheap PR for my company? How can I mention my "day job" without
                          > > feeling dirty? Is it just something wrong with me, or is this a
                          > > general problem for people who suddenly find themselves working for
                          > > The Evil Capitalists?
                          > >
                          > > I want to continue to videoblog, to be able to be silly, and make a
                          > > vlog while drunk, or having another bad hair day, or when I complain
                          > > about some political issue or whatever. This is, obviously, a very new
                          > > situation for me, and I seriously have no idea how to handle it.
                          > >
                          > > I want to stay true to myself, while not compromising my employers. I
                          > > want to be able to hold several roles and mix them but not mix them so
                          > > much that it becomes ugly and cheap.
                          > >
                          > > Any thoughts on this?
                          > >
                          > > best regards,
                          > >
                          > > Raymond M. Kristiansen
                          > > - can I still just be a videoblogger?

                        • Steve Watkins
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 28, 2005
                            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "R. Kristiansen"
                            <raymondmk@g...> wrote:

                            > How can I continue making videoblogs without being seen as simply
                            > doing cheap PR for my company? How can I mention my "day job"
                            without
                            > feeling dirty? Is it just something wrong with me, or is this a
                            > general problem for people who suddenly find themselves working for
                            > The Evil Capitalists?

                            Quite a bit depends on what your role in the company is, are you
                            supposed to be doing cheap PR for them?

                            I think its perfectly normal for certain personality types, if you
                            think about things on that level then its totally expected that every
                            job will cause some dilemmas, and with you gaining so many new roles
                            in such a short space of time its magnified the problem. Most people
                            go through issues like this at some point, some spend their lives
                            battling with it, others seem entirely free from such burdens. Theres
                            a wide variety of self-judgement systems that will make one person
                            think of what their company does for the world (or not) and others
                            think how much their company makes for their family, others work for
                            the good of the nation etc. Its all about people being able to
                            justify their actions to themselves according to their own belief
                            system, as I see no evidence that some people "dont care" or consider
                            themselves evil. To do things without significant psychological
                            strain, people have to find some value in their own work/actions, no
                            matter how obscure. Its hard to get the balance right, Ive no doubt
                            many people spend significant time and cause themselves emotional
                            stress over decades by really wondering what their labour is
                            achieving in the grand scheme of things.

                            Anyway Im waffling again.

                            Some salesmen can sell a product without actually believing in it,
                            and they can sleep at night. Others need to believe in the product to
                            be able to sell it, if they think it is something that genuinely does
                            good for people and the world, then its the same to them as selling a
                            political idea that they think is genuinely good. And of course some
                            politicians are like the salesmen that doesnt need to believe in the
                            product to sell it.

                            > I want to stay true to myself, while not compromising my employers.
                            > want to be able to hold several roles and mix them but not mix them
                            so
                            > much that it becomes ugly and cheap.
                            >
                            > Any thoughts on this?

                            Well there will be inevitable compromises, but these are nothing new
                            in life. Take it slowly and talk to your employers, political party
                            etc as much as possible. Unfortunately I often find that companies
                            etc dont tell you what you shouldnt say until after youve already
                            said it, and obviously by then the mistake is already made. Constant
                            alertness when posting is required, because the responsibiltiy of
                            important roles inevitably leads to having to be extra-responsible
                            with words. I dont know of a way round it, but yeah you can take
                            certain steps to help, like keeping a clear seperation between
                            different blogs with different purposes.

                            Its not disimmilar to some stuff I said in a waffle about political
                            videoblogs, if I was great leader then my ability to talk honestly
                            about most subjects in public would be totally lost.

                            Drifting offtopic.....

                            And fame. As an unknown individual I can say all sorts of
                            controvertial things. If I was a person of interest to the press, my
                            every word could have huge implications for my future and my families
                            future.

                            Fame is the least attractive of all the possible consequences of
                            videoblogging to me, and I'll surely be more likely to videoblog once
                            (or if) there are tens of thousands of videobloggers. I mean take
                            that Numa Numa bloke, some people have a go at him, but how did he
                            know how he would feel about being sort of famous until it actually
                            happened? Ive definately read interviews with famous eg Rock stars
                            who arent exactly loving the downsides of fame, and at least they
                            usually got the cash needed to build a world round themselves to
                            handle the fame. Fame with its perks seems survivable, but infamy
                            with no perks smells like an infinite prison sentence to me.

                            Cheers

                            Steve of Elbows
                          • R. Kristiansen
                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 28, 2005
                              Thank you all for your response so far. I really appreciate that. Yes,
                              I will just stay transparent.

                              On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 01:20:18 -0000, Steve Watkins <steve@...> wrote:
                              > Quite a bit depends on what your role in the company is, are you
                              > supposed to be doing cheap PR for them?

                              My job is not sales or PR at all. But I might be doing some work for
                              them, helping companies and institutions like universities start
                              videoblogging.

                              > Some salesmen can sell a product without actually believing in it,
                              > and they can sleep at night. Others need to believe in the product to
                              > be able to sell it, if they think it is something that genuinely does
                              > good for people and the world, then its the same to them as selling a
                              > political idea that they think is genuinely good. And of course some
                              > politicians are like the salesmen that doesnt need to believe in the
                              > product to sell it.

                              ;) I guess I have to believe in something in order to be involved with
                              it. Once my party starts bashing immigrants because it's "the spirit
                              of the age", I will quit. Once my company starts doing business in a
                              bad way, I will step away.

                              > I dont know of a way round it, but yeah you can take
                              > certain steps to help, like keeping a clear seperation between
                              > different blogs with different purposes.

                              I agree, and I will do this.

                              Thanks again, all :)

                              Raymond
                            • ryanne hodson
                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 28, 2005
                                raymond
                                you are good
                                and you know what your boundries are.
                                don't sweat it.
                                you are a consultant?
                                yes!!!!
                                this is so amazing.
                                tell us more.
                                how did you start?
                                did you just quit your other job and just go with this?
                                you are an inspiration to us all my friend.
                                may we follow in your footsteps.

                                --
                                we ARE the media.

                                new videos daily:
                                http://ryanedit.blogspot.com

                                Get ANT: The first Video Aggregator
                                http://www.antnottv.org

                                RSS (subscribe to my blog):
                                http://feeds.feedburner.com/RyannesVideoBlog

                                What is RSS Ryan?
                                http://news.yahoo.com/rss

                                ~Ryan Hodson~
                                Video Editor/Producer
                                http://ryanedit.com
                              • Michael Sullivan
                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 28, 2005
                                  looks good.
                                  what is this feature?
                                  "Remote loading of your files on another website"

                                  On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 23:44:06 -0000, yveywonder <toyves@...> wrote:

                                  > Doteasy offers unmetered bandwidth for $9.95/mo. I've been using them
                                  > as a hosting service for awhile now. I think this is a new offering.
                                  > Maybe the newest feature for ISPs to offer...
                                  >
                                  > Check it out:
                                  > http://doteasy.com/Services/WebHosting/
                                  >
                                  > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@g...>

                                  > wanting to
                                  > hosting and
                                  > your

                                  > > Hey lee--
                                  > >
                                  > > i think you posted some info on the videoblogigng group.
                                  > > we found this post recently.
                                  > > you care to share the scoop?
                                  > > you really mean UNLIMITED bandwdith?
                                  > >
                                  > > Jay

                                  ~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~
                                  i n t e r d i g i t a t e . c o m
                                  =====================
                                • Michael Sullivan
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 28, 2005
                                    dont over-analyze this. have fun vlogging and have fun working. do
                                    both as best you can and if you're gut tells you not to say/do
                                    something, then go with that instinct. trust yourself.

                                    On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 01:15:18 +0100, R. Kristiansen <raymondmk@...> wrote:

                                    > Dear videobloggers,
                                    >
                                    > I have seriously been feeling quite strange the last days. Today it
                                    > became official that I have started working for a company that makes
                                    > blogging software (www.blogsoft.net). It is a small Norwegian upstart,
                                    > but we have a few important clients already and we are expanding. I am
                                    > videoblogging responsible, and ever since I was offered this job - and
                                    > I accepted - I have been having this nagging tickle in my mind. It is
                                    > driving me crazy sometimes.
                                    >
                                    > Yes, I have been working for companies before, as well as NGOs and
                                    > political parties. Yet I have never had a conflict of personal
                                    > interests like now, and I would just like to ask about your thoughts
                                    > on this.
                                    >
                                    > How can I continue making videoblogs without being seen as simply
                                    > doing cheap PR for my company? How can I mention my "day job" without
                                    > feeling dirty? Is it just something wrong with me, or is this a
                                    > general problem for people who suddenly find themselves working for
                                    > The Evil Capitalists?
                                    >
                                    > I want to continue to videoblog, to be able to be silly, and make a
                                    > vlog while drunk, or having another bad hair day, or when I complain
                                    > about some political issue or whatever. This is, obviously, a very new
                                    > situation for me, and I seriously have no idea how to handle it.
                                    >
                                    > I want to stay true to myself, while not compromising my employers. I
                                    > want to be able to hold several roles and mix them but not mix them so
                                    > much that it becomes ugly and cheap.
                                    >
                                    > Any thoughts on this?
                                    >
                                    > best regards,
                                    >
                                    > Raymond M. Kristiansen
                                    > - can I still just be a videoblogger?

                                    ~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~
                                    i n t e r d i g i t a t e . c o m
                                    =====================
                                  • Deirdre Straughan
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Feb 28, 2005
                                      You may recall that I "came out" to this group in January as a
                                      corporate rep for TVBLOB (at present, a little-known Italian startup,
                                      but just you wait! <grin>). I originally joined this group last June
                                      to explore the concept of videoblogging - I figured these folks would
                                      be some of the early adopters of our technology.

                                      But my way of exploring things is to DO them, and, particularly in
                                      this case, I never thought that I would just try it and then go away
                                      again. So I'm as much a "real" videoblogger as anybody, and at the
                                      same time I'm learning things for my company. I don't see a conflict
                                      here. I get to do something fun that I love, and in a sense I even get
                                      paid for it. I'm very lucky.

                                      I have been living/working on the boundary between private and
                                      professional for most of my professional life. My former job involved
                                      representing my company in various online forums, for years. I have a
                                      finicky code of personal ethics, and I never consciously lied to
                                      anyone about anything the company was doing. I sometimes had to NOT
                                      say things - there are situations where, no matter how honest you
                                      want to be, you are bound by law and business ethics to protect trade
                                      secrets, adhere to non-disclosure agreements, etc. I do advise you to
                                      be very, very careful and, when you're not sure, talk to someone in
                                      the company about it; don't get yourself or your company in trouble by
                                      shooting off your mouth.

                                      In spite of popular "wisdom" to the contrary, is IS possible to be
                                      ethical in business, to treat customers like human beings whose
                                      opinions matter, to say what you do and do what you say - and make it
                                      pay. This is new and scary territory to a lot of companies, but the
                                      smart ones are catching on. The new trend towards open corporate
                                      blogging is encouraging - companies are finally getting on the
                                      Cluetrain. In this environment, you don't have to compromise between
                                      business and ethics. Be your own ethical self and customers will love
                                      you for it. The company may balk sometimes, but it's your job to
                                      explain to them why the customer is in fact always right (almost) and
                                      they need to listen. You're the conduit between compan and customer.
                                      It can be an uncomfortable role, but it's also a critically important
                                      one and, thank god, its importance is increasingly recognized these
                                      days. You're just the right kind of person to do this job, and you'll
                                      do just fine.

                                      FWIW, the career section of my personal site has quite a bit of
                                      material on what I did, and how, and how people reacted. You might
                                      find some of it helpful, or at least funny.

                                      best regards,
                                      Deirdré Straughan

                                      http://straughan.com (personal)

                                      http://tvblob.com/ (company)

                                      On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 01:15:18 +0100, R. Kristiansen <raymondmk@...> wrote:

                                      > Dear videobloggers,
                                      >
                                      > I have seriously been feeling quite strange the last days. Today it
                                      > became official that I have started working for a company that makes
                                      > blogging software (www.blogsoft.net). It is a small Norwegian upstart,
                                      > but we have a few important clients already and we are expanding. I am
                                      > videoblogging responsible, and ever since I was offered this job - and
                                      > I accepted - I have been having this nagging tickle in my mind. It is
                                      > driving me crazy sometimes.
                                      >
                                      > Yes, I have been working for companies before, as well as NGOs and
                                      > political parties. Yet I have never had a conflict of personal
                                      > interests like now, and I would just like to ask about your thoughts
                                      > on this.
                                      >
                                      > How can I continue making videoblogs without being seen as simply
                                      > doing cheap PR for my company? How can I mention my "day job" without
                                      > feeling dirty? Is it just something wrong with me, or is this a
                                      > general problem for people who suddenly find themselves working for
                                      > The Evil Capitalists?
                                      >
                                      > I want to continue to videoblog, to be able to be silly, and make a
                                      > vlog while drunk, or having another bad hair day, or when I complain
                                      > about some political issue or whatever. This is, obviously, a very new
                                      > situation for me, and I seriously have no idea how to handle it.
                                      >
                                      > I want to stay true to myself, while not compromising my employers. I
                                      > want to be able to hold several roles and mix them but not mix them so
                                      > much that it becomes ugly and cheap.
                                      >
                                      > Any thoughts on this?
                                      >
                                      > best regards,
                                      >
                                      > Raymond M. Kristiansen
                                      > - can I still just be a videoblogger?

                                      best regards,
                                      Deirdré Straughan
                                      www.straughan.com
                                    • Lisa Williams
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Mar 1, 2005
                                        Right on!

                                        Transparency is the key. You're not misrepresenting yourself to
                                        anybody, so I think it's cool.

                                        One of the things I hope widespread blogging will do (and audioblogging
                                        and videoblogging) will be to make it more possible to be a human being
                                        at work.

                                        After I left my old job I started blogging under my own name. I realize
                                        now that if I go get a new job, I can't work for anybody who objects to
                                        having people who are actual human beings with thoughts and opinions,
                                        particularly opinions and thoughts that are visible via Google.

                                        That's totally ok with me, though. I think we should start with
                                        nonessential personel like me and work our way up to the cancer-curing
                                        and space-shuttle flying types. Till we can all be free.

                                        Lisa

                                        As far as the "not saying" bit goes, my personal maxim is "I don't share
                                        what I don't own." I don't blog about my marriage much, because I
                                        don't have sole ownership of those stories. Similarly, if I was
                                        working, I'd consider those stories to be jointly owned by me and my
                                        coworkers and my employer. If I was going to share those things, I'd
                                        want to make sure it was kosher with everybody before I shared them.
                                        (Off topic: But I don't think anybody should be fired for expressing
                                        their own stories or ideas on the net. That's lame).

                                        Lisa Williams
                                        lisa@...
                                        Lisa's weblog: http://www.cadence90.com/wp/
                                      • Deirdre Straughan
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Mar 2, 2005
                                          I started my newsletter about two weeks after quitting my last job
                                          (July, 2001), and was amazed at the sense of freedom. My corporate
                                          newsletters were never very corporate in tone - in fact, I think
                                          that's why they were so successful - but I still had to always be very
                                          conscious about what I was saying. The constraint I felt most was that
                                          I couldn't express opinions, for fear of stepping on someone's toes.
                                          In my own newsletters, I can talk about whatever I want to, and I give
                                          lots of opinions, though I always consider the feelings of anyone
                                          mentioned in them who might read them (including, of course, my
                                          family). It's been very liberating, and I can't see going entirely
                                          back in the bottle now.