vb irc chat room

  • Stuart Lawson
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 28, 2005
      I've set up an IRC chat room if anyone is interested in hanging out
      there and chatting with whoever else is around,
      the chatroom is located on irc.chat4all.org (6667) in room #videoblogging
    • Jeeper One TV
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 28, 2005
        Hi everyone:
        At 01:13 AM 2/28/2005, you wrote:

        I've set up an IRC chat room if anyone is interested in hanging out
        there and chatting with whoever else is around,
        the chatroom is located on irc.chat4all.org (6667) in room #videoblogging

        Cool Stu.  :)

        I'm in there now as PatsVideoBlog (which will essentially be the name of my vlog)  :)  Though since I'm also on Live365 under a different nick, don't be surprised if you see WHOIS info. for a radio station dubbing itself as "Denver's New World Order Station" as I run that station too.  :)

        Cheers for now everyone :)

        Patrick Cook
        pchamster@...
        kpdcnettv@...
        Denver, Colorado
        http://kpdcnettv.tripod.com/blog.html
        http://kpdcnettv.tripod.com/blog/
        TEXT RSS Feed - http://kpdcnettv.tripod.com/blog/rss.xml
        PODCAST RSS Feed - http://jeeperone.tripod.com/blog/podcasts/patspodcast/rss.xml (NEW & PERMANENT FEED!!!)
      • Ian
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 28, 2005
          Im in there now. My name is 'Ian'.

          - Ian

          On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 01:47:02 -0700, Jeeper One TV <kpdcnettv@...> wrote:
          > Hi everyone:
          > At 01:13 AM 2/28/2005, you wrote:
          >

          > I've set up an IRC chat room if anyone is interested in hanging out
          > there and chatting with whoever else is around,
          > the chatroom is located on irc.chat4all.org (6667) in room #videoblogging
          > Cool Stu. :)
          >
          > I'm in there now as PatsVideoBlog (which will essentially be the name of my
          > vlog) :) Though since I'm also on Live365 under a different nick, don't be
          > surprised if you see WHOIS info. for a radio station dubbing itself as
          > "Denver's New World Order Station" as I run that station too. :)
          >
          > Cheers for now everyone :)
          >
          > Patrick Cook
          > pchamster@...
          > kpdcnettv@...
          > Denver, Colorado
          > http://kpdcnettv.tripod.com/blog.html
          > http://kpdcnettv.tripod.com/blog/
          > TEXT RSS Feed - http://kpdcnettv.tripod.com/blog/rss.xml
          > PODCAST RSS Feed -
          > http://jeeperone.tripod.com/blog/podcasts/patspodcast/rss.xml (NEW &
          > PERMANENT FEED!!!)
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          > Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.

          www.the05project.com
        • Stuart Lawson
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 28, 2005
            Hey guys, thanks for joining me in the chat room, so far we have Ian
            (the 05 project), Jim Stewart, Pat along with myself idling in the
            channel! We've talked about the vidblog anarchy posts and each others
            different vidblogs.

            I really just wanted a place for vidbloggers to hang out and talk
            about anything, doesn't really have to be on topic of vidblogs, hope
            to see more of you there soon!

            Last night I came up with an idea for a website, its basically a
            'request'-'deliver' system. Someone requests a 'how-to fold a paper
            airplane' video , and someone 'delivers' by making the video. Then the
            website can have tags and people can search for instance: how to cook
            chocolate chip cookies, and perhaps in the past one or two people have
            made a video on how to do it!

            how to fix a car, how to make balloon animals, how to study.
            Plus, it doesn't have to be 'how-to's either, it can be anything
            really, I just like the idea of being 'assigned' a video project along
            with my personal video work. Supply and Demand I guess you could say?

            -Stu
          • Michael Sullivan
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 28, 2005
              yeah, right on. that's cool.
              check out medicinefilms.com and their approach to assignments.
              i dig it.

              On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:16:10 -0000, Stuart Lawson <stuartml@...> wrote:

              > Hey guys, thanks for joining me in the chat room, so far we have Ian
              > (the 05 project), Jim Stewart, Pat along with myself idling in the
              > channel! We've talked about the vidblog anarchy posts and each others
              > different vidblogs.
              >
              > I really just wanted a place for vidbloggers to hang out and talk
              > about anything, doesn't really have to be on topic of vidblogs, hope
              > to see more of you there soon!
              >
              > Last night I came up with an idea for a website, its basically a
              > 'request'-'deliver' system. Someone requests a 'how-to fold a paper
              > airplane' video , and someone 'delivers' by making the video. Then the
              > website can have tags and people can search for instance: how to cook
              > chocolate chip cookies, and perhaps in the past one or two people have
              > made a video on how to do it!
              >
              > how to fix a car, how to make balloon animals, how to study.
              > Plus, it doesn't have to be 'how-to's either, it can be anything
              > really, I just like the idea of being 'assigned' a video project along
              > with my personal video work. Supply and Demand I guess you could say?
              >
              > -Stu

              ~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~
              i n t e r d i g i t a t e . c o m
              =====================
            • Adam Quirk
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 28, 2005
                Also, as Andrew posted recently, Nowpublic.com is doing this sort of
                thing for citizen journalism. I love it.

                -Adam
              • Stuart Lawson
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 28, 2005
                  I like it, but I was thinking something more specific, I guess its
                  only a matter of time :)

                  --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Michael Sullivan
                  <sulleleven@g...> wrote:
                  > yeah, right on. that's cool.
                  > check out medicinefilms.com and their approach to assignments.
                  > i dig it.

                • R. Kristiansen
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 1, 2005
                    Hey all,

                    Xacti camera -> mpeg4 format -> computer. ok. the 10 minute interview
                    with president of norwegian liberal youth is in 640x480 (for our DVD /
                    CD-rom material later on)

                    i save as .mov 320x240, no codec-use.

                    then open new file. then export in QuickTime Pro -> .mov. I use 3ivx
                    codec. standard settings (as Michael Verdi suggests). then...

                    it takes FOREVER to export the file
                    it becomes something like 35 megs.

                    whats up with that?

                    can someone quick screencast a howto? someone with mpeg4 material
                    preferrably. from a xacti - dream situation.

                    i need to get this videoblog site up like... Now. :(

                    sigh.

                    i hate all these techie things getting in the way. i just want content
                    content content out there.

                    i want this to be so easy that we can have youths from All Over Norway
                    videoblogging. we need sponsors of xacti/other cameras, and QT pro
                    licenses (cheapest option I guess). hmm.

                    anyway, my prime help-call is for suggestions on how to set these
                    files up. normally it works for me but with the mpeg4 material it
                    screws up.

                    another question: is a 10 minute political vlog too much? i think so.
                    then how to edit it? arrgh, qt pro has no real timeline function. i
                    need iMovie. we dont own macs. arrgh :)

                    frustrated,
                    Raymond
                  • Verdi
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 1, 2005
                      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "R. Kristiansen"
                      <raymondmk@g...> wrote:

                      > then open new file. then export in QuickTime Pro -> .mov. I use 3ivx
                      > codec. standard settings (as Michael Verdi suggests). then...
                      >
                      > it takes FOREVER to export the file
                      > it becomes something like 35 megs.
                      >
                      > whats up with that?

                      Actually that sounds about right. IM me and I'll see what I can do.
                      filmguy1105 on AIM.

                      -Verdi
                    • Lisa Harper
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 1, 2005
                        Sounds about right to me, too.

                        I think I see your problem... it's been a quandry for me, too. You
                        actually want multiple versions of the same thing so you capture with
                        the higher quality. Yet you still want the lower quality version. I
                        just captured about 1GB of material this weekend and have the odious
                        task of downsizing to make it all fit on a CD. A quick solution is to
                        use two cams... one for each capture type... probably not what you
                        want to do.

                        Lisa

                        On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 15:01:01 -0000, Verdi <michael@...> wrote:

                        > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "R. Kristiansen"
                        > <raymondmk@g...> wrote:
                        >

                        > > then open new file. then export in QuickTime Pro -> .mov. I use 3ivx
                        > > codec. standard settings (as Michael Verdi suggests). then...
                        > >
                        > > it takes FOREVER to export the file
                        > > it becomes something like 35 megs.
                        > >
                        > > whats up with that?
                        >
                        > Actually that sounds about right. IM me and I'll see what I can do.
                        > filmguy1105 on AIM.
                        >
                        > -Verdi

                        Lisa Harper
                        http://www.lisaharper.org
                      • Steve Garfield
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 1, 2005
                          You know that you can COPY portions of video in QuickTime Pro and then
                          PASTE it into a new QuickTime Pro window?

                          I've done this before as a quick and easy way to edit existing footage.

                          1. Open up Source video
                          2. File/NEW PLAYER
                          then click and drag the the triangle to the start and then move the
                          other triangle to the end point
                          4. Edit/copy
                          5. Go to the new player window, Edit/Paste
                          6. GO TO #3 UNTIL DONE

                          --Steve
                          http://stevegarfield.com

                          On Mar 1, 2005, at 9:49 AM, R. Kristiansen wrote:

                          > then how to edit it? arrgh, qt pro has no real timeline function.
                        • Adrian Miles
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 1, 2005
                            around the 1/3/05 Steve Garfield mentioned about Re: [videoblogging]
                            I need help that:
                            >1. Open up Source video
                            >2. File/NEW PLAYER
                            >then click and drag the the triangle to the start and then move the
                            >other triangle to the end point
                            >4. Edit/copy
                            >5. Go to the new player window, Edit/Paste
                            >6. GO TO #3 UNTIL DONE

                            just to add to this:

                            on apple Command B moves in out points to current playhead position.
                            this makes it very fast and easy to do a series of butt edits. (is
                            that what they're called, forgotten my videotape editing lessons of
                            1986...)

                            also you can drag the in and out points to mark a selection and then
                            paste over the selection.
                            you can also add scaled (via edit menu) which stretches or shrinks
                            what you paste to what you've selected.
                            you can also select by holding down shift while dragging playhead or
                            while playing video.

                            there isn't a timeline but that's because QT is not about linear film
                            media. (the essays i've published on softvideo discuss this if you're
                            interested). timelines assume linear continuous media. That's a
                            rather large canonical assumption to make for something that is
                            actually more about collage than montage :-)

                            --
                            cheers
                            Adrian Miles
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 1, 2005
                              around the 1/3/05 R. Kristiansen mentioned about [videoblogging] I
                              need help that:
                              >Xacti camera -> mpeg4 format -> computer. ok. the 10 minute interview
                              >with president of norwegian liberal youth is in 640x480 (for our DVD /
                              >CD-rom material later on)
                              >
                              >i save as .mov 320x240, no codec-use.
                              >
                              >then open new file. then export in QuickTime Pro -> .mov. I use 3ivx
                              >codec. standard settings (as Michael Verdi suggests). then...
                              >
                              >it takes FOREVER to export the file
                              >it becomes something like 35 megs.
                              >
                              >whats up with that?

                              1. are you doing 2 pass?
                              2. make sure you run the 2 pass and nominate which pass each time
                              3. this does mean that in QT pro you have to compress TWICE.

                              if it isn't working and you've got a deadline, i'd suggest just using
                              Apples mpeg4 codec. single pass but will at least work for you.

                              and cut and paste in QT pro and you can cut it down.
                              (I could also mention Umberto Eco's famous observation on dos as
                              protestant and macs as catholic and that Norway is, um, protestant
                              (ie, not many macs) but shan't.) ;-)

                              --
                              cheers
                              Adrian Miles