Fwd: Community Radio News Director wanted
- ---------- Forwarded message ----------
If you know anyone who would like to live in beautiful Mendocino County,
where the stories are ripe and stimulating to say the least, here's a job in
our community radio station. Pay is around $35,000. But it's a lifestyle as
much as a job. Feel free to call me if you want more details about living
and working here.
KZYX&Z is seeking an experienced *News Director* who can help to develop and
build a strong news department. The position reports to the General Manager
and works closely with the Program Director and Morning News Host &
This is a full time salaried position with benefits. Send resume,
references, and cover letter, including news philosophy and audio audition
(mp3 or CD only) with a script and one example of writing to:
PO Box 1
Philo, CA 95466
*News Director* The News Director provides editorial leadership and guidance
in all aspects of the KZYX&Z News Department. The News Director produces
and hosts the daily Community News program, produces special coverage of
current events, and longer term coverage of local issues. The News Director
assists volunteers and staff with developing broadcast journalism skills and
carries out the KZYX&Z vision for community public radio news with attention
to accuracy, fairness, balance, context, timeliness, and high production
standards. Duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinating the overall management and operations of the News
Department, including on-line and new media dissemination.
- Providing editorial leadership and guidance and establishing a
clear, public radio style newsgathering and reporting policy, and
communicating that policy consistently, through interaction with the news
staff and volunteers and as a role model.
- Hosting, writing, preparing and delivering newscasts for daily
Community News program. Introducing news pieces from other producers,
conducting live and recorded interviews and producing feature reports.
- Developing and producing local news, features and commentary to
complement the Station's other public affairs and news programming.
- Coordinating and implementing Station's emergency coverage strategy.
- Efficiently generating news reports that are thoroughly researched,
balanced, accurate and engaging.
- Leading editorial meetings to determine news coverage and
- Recruiting and training, in coordination with appropriate staff,
volunteers and stringers for the News Department, and ensuring ongoing
development of existing volunteers and stringers.
- Planning and executing special news coverage, including
election-season and election night coverage.
- Being on-call 24 hours a day to cover breaking news.
- Developing and maintaining sources. Maintaining and updating
schedule of news events.
- Coordinate station contributions to national and regional news
- Assisting General Manager with the development and management of
annual operating and capital budgets as related to the News Department.
- Attending to essential station functions during air shifts including
transmitter and Emergency Alert System operation, completion of program log,
insuring proper capture of programs fed via satellite.
- Serving as talent during on-air membership drives and participating
in other fundraising activities.
- Providing information to other departments for publicity and
Heidi Cusick Dickerson
P.O. Box 301
Redwood Valley, CA 95470
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]