Doesn't this offend anyone?

  • Josh Wolf
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 27, 2005
      I posted this yesterday and figured someone by now would've said
      something by now...

      http://thisrevolution.blogspot.com/2005/02/vlog-anarchy-continued-my-
      entry-for.html

      "Don't hate the media, become the media."- Jello Biafra
    • Jeeper One TV
      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 27, 2005
        Hi everyone:

        At 01:40 PM 2/27/2005, you wrote:

        I posted this yesterday and figured someone by now would've said
        something by now...

        http://thisrevolution.blogspot.com/2005/02/vlog-anarchy-continued-my-
        entry-for.html

        Josh....The way you see the link above is how I think we all got it.

        Can you like remove the word wrap or make a hypertext link that DOES NOT get trunciated?  I can't seem to get past the first line.

        Then again, maybe it's just me?

        Cheers for now everyone  :)

        Patrick Cook
        pchamster@...
        kpdcnettv@...
        Denver, Colorado
        http://kpdcnettv.tripod.com/blog.html
        http://kpdcnettv.tripod.com/blog/
        TEXT RSS Feed - http://kpdcnettv.tripod.com/blog/rss.xml
        PODCAST RSS Feed - http://jeeperone.tripod.com/blog/podcasts/patspodcast/rss.xml (NEW & PERMANENT FEED!!!)
      • Josh Wolf
        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 27, 2005
          try this:

          http://tinyurl.com/4vzff

          On Feb 27, 2005, at 7:36 PM, Jeeper One TV wrote:

          > Hi everyone:
          >
          > At 01:40 PM 2/27/2005, you wrote:
          >

          > I posted this yesterday and figured someone by now would've said
          > something by now...
          >
          > http://thisrevolution.blogspot.com/2005/02/vlog-anarchy-continued-my-
          > entry-for.html
          >
          > Josh....The way you see the link above is how I think we all got it.
          >
          > Can you like remove the word wrap or make a hypertext link that DOES
          > NOT get trunciated?  I can't seem to get past the first line.
          >
          > Then again, maybe it's just me?
          >
          > Cheers for now everyone  :)
          >
          > Patrick Cook
          > pchamster@...
          > kpdcnettv@...
          > Denver, Colorado
          > http://kpdcnettv.tripod.com/blog.html
          > http://kpdcnettv.tripod.com/blog/
          > TEXT RSS Feed - http://kpdcnettv.tripod.com/blog/rss.xml
          > PODCAST RSS Feed -
          > http://jeeperone.tripod.com/blog/podcasts/patspodcast/rss.xml (NEW &
          > PERMANENT FEED!!!)
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          > <22305_0205_016_b_300250_a.gif>
          > <l.gif>

          > Service.
          >

          > Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.

          "We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into to peace."
          "Power to the peaceful!"

          Spearhead - Bomb the World
        • Joshua Kinberg
          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 27, 2005
            Are you trying to offend people? Is that important to you?
            Just curious. Personally, I don't really care. But I think itsa little
            funny that you're fishing for outrage here.

            -Josh

            On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 12:40:34 -0800, Josh Wolf <inthecity@...> wrote:

            > I posted this yesterday and figured someone by now would've said
            > something by now...
            >
            > http://thisrevolution.blogspot.com/2005/02/vlog-anarchy-continued-my-
            > entry-for.html
          • aaron
            Message 5 of 28 , Feb 27, 2005
              I'm with you Josh.
              What's the reason for outrage.
              So freakin' what?
              It's a person burning a flag. Won't be the first, won't be a last.

              Aaron
            • Josh Wolf
              Message 6 of 28 , Feb 27, 2005
                No Josh, not fishing for outrage. Not fishing for outrage at all. The
                video I put together is an honest approach to the task that the INdTV
                website put forth: make a music video of The Star-Spangled Banner that
                reflects your American experience. I know that not everyone on this
                list's politics is akin to mine, and further, from experience growing
                up in a rural town that the video I put together is liable to offend
                some people. Based on all these things, I guess you could say I was
                just feeling a bit disappointed that no-one had commented on my video
                at all. It was basically one of those questioning my self-confidence
                and wanting to be reassured that someone was taking notice moments.
                Either by provoking their thoughts about patriotism, or by my video
                entertaining them and bringing about anarchist giggling.

                I don't necessarily want to outrage anyone. I do hope to make people
                think and would hope that my expression leads to others questioning
                their own views.

                Josh

                On Feb 27, 2005, at 9:18 PM, Joshua Kinberg wrote:

                > Are you trying to offend people? Is that important to you?
                > Just curious. Personally, I don't really care. But I think itsa little
                > funny that you're fishing for outrage here.
                >
                > -Josh
                >
                > On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 12:40:34 -0800, Josh Wolf
                > <inthecity@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > I posted this yesterday and figured someone by now would've said
                > > something by now...
                > >

                > http://thisrevolution.blogspot.com/2005/02/vlog-anarchy-continued-my-
                > > entry-for.html
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                > <22305_0205_016_b_300250_a.gif>
                > <l.gif>

                > Service.

                "We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into to peace."
                "Power to the peaceful!"

                Spearhead - Bomb the World
              • bayareablog
                Message 7 of 28 , Feb 27, 2005
                  "It was basically one of those questioning my self-confidence
                  and wanting to be reassured that someone was taking notice moments."

                  I had one of those recently...I'm starting to get used to them. :)

                  It goes with the vlog territory I guess...that a lot of work goes
                  unnoticed.

                  Chin up buckaroo

                  mike

                  --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Josh Wolf <inthecity@s...>
                  wrote:
                  > No Josh, not fishing for outrage. Not fishing for outrage at all.
                  The
                  > video I put together is an honest approach to the task that the
                  INdTV
                  > website put forth: make a music video of The Star-Spangled Banner
                  that
                  > reflects your American experience. I know that not everyone on
                  this
                  > list's politics is akin to mine, and further, from experience
                  growing
                  > up in a rural town that the video I put together is liable to
                  offend
                  > some people. Based on all these things, I guess you could say I
                  was
                  > just feeling a bit disappointed that no-one had commented on my
                  video
                  > at all. It was basically one of those questioning my self-
                  confidence
                  > and wanting to be reassured that someone was taking notice
                  moments.
                  > Either by provoking their thoughts about patriotism, or by my
                  video
                  > entertaining them and bringing about anarchist giggling.
                  >
                  > I don't necessarily want to outrage anyone. I do hope to make
                  people
                  > think and would hope that my expression leads to others
                  questioning
                  > their own views.
                  >
                  > Josh
                  >

                  > On Feb 27, 2005, at 9:18 PM, Joshua Kinberg wrote:
                  >
                  > > Are you trying to offend people? Is that important to you?
                  > > Just curious. Personally, I don't really care. But I think itsa
                  little
                  > > funny that you're fishing for outrage here.
                  > >
                  > > -Josh
                  > >
                  > > On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 12:40:34 -0800, Josh Wolf
                  > > <inthecity@s...> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I posted this yesterday and figured someone by now would've
                  said
                  > > > something by now...
                  > > >

                  > > http://thisrevolution.blogspot.com/2005/02/vlog-anarchy-
                  continued-my-
                  > > > entry-for.html
                  > >

                  > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  > > <22305_0205_016_b_300250_a.gif>
                  > > <l.gif>

                  > > • Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
                  Terms of
                  > > Service.

                  > "We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into to
                  peace."
                  > "Power to the peaceful!"
                  >
                  > Spearhead - Bomb the World
                • Harold Johnson
                  Message 8 of 28 , Feb 27, 2005
                    Try being more original next time. Maybe then you'll get the response
                    you're looking for. Burning a flag is so...cliche, and done before.

                    Harold J. Johnson
                    http://SomethingthatHappened.com

                    On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 21:32:23 -0800, Josh Wolf <inthecity@...> wrote:

                    > No Josh, not fishing for outrage. Not fishing for outrage at all. The
                    > video I put together is an honest approach to the task that the INdTV
                    > website put forth: make a music video of The Star-Spangled Banner that
                    > reflects your American experience. I know that not everyone on this
                    > list's politics is akin to mine, and further, from experience growing
                    > up in a rural town that the video I put together is liable to offend
                    > some people. Based on all these things, I guess you could say I was
                    > just feeling a bit disappointed that no-one had commented on my video
                    > at all. It was basically one of those questioning my self-confidence
                    > and wanting to be reassured that someone was taking notice moments.
                    > Either by provoking their thoughts about patriotism, or by my video
                    > entertaining them and bringing about anarchist giggling.
                    >
                    > I don't necessarily want to outrage anyone. I do hope to make people
                    > think and would hope that my expression leads to others questioning
                    > their own views.
                    >
                    > Josh
                    >

                    > On Feb 27, 2005, at 9:18 PM, Joshua Kinberg wrote:
                    >
                    > > Are you trying to offend people? Is that important to you?
                    > > Just curious. Personally, I don't really care. But I think itsa little
                    > > funny that you're fishing for outrage here.
                    > >
                    > > -Josh
                    > >
                    > > On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 12:40:34 -0800, Josh Wolf
                    > > <inthecity@...> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I posted this yesterday and figured someone by now would've said
                    > > > something by now...
                    > > >

                    > > http://thisrevolution.blogspot.com/2005/02/vlog-anarchy-continued-my-
                    > > > entry-for.html
                    > >

                    > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    > > <22305_0205_016_b_300250_a.gif>
                    > > <l.gif>

                    > > • Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                    > > Service.

                  • aaron
                    Message 9 of 28 , Feb 27, 2005
                      >>> It goes with the vlog territory I guess...that a lot of work goes
                      unnoticed.

                      You'll be surprised.
                      Post you absolutely care about, no one else will and the one's you just put
                      up with no care, get's mad attention.
                      Just the life of a vlogger.
                      The important thing is to keep at it.
                      The more content you got, the more for people to see.
                      They might see one video, then start viewing all your videos and become
                      regular viewers of your content.
                      If you are looking for comments, don't be afraid to ask for them.
                      People almost have to be encouraged to do it.
                      Let people know you want to have a conversation, if that's what you want.
                      Ryanne does an awesome job of this, and its not just the controversy of her
                      posts, but the people see some of her videos and a place to talk about
                      issues. That's awesome!!! But she's inviting conversation. Agree with
                      her, disagree, whatever.
                      Same with Michael's vlog anarchy posts.
                      It's all so inviting.

                      Aaron
                    • aaron
                      Message 10 of 28 , Feb 27, 2005
                        >>> Try being more original next time. Maybe then you'll get the response
                        you're looking for. Burning a flag is so...cliche, and done before.

                        I disagree.
                        Post whatever the hell you like.
                        Original, unoriginal, whatever.
                        Don't stress out whether its original or not
                        Forget that... Just post video.
                        You'll find your style and what works for you, your audience, whoever.

                        Harold... You got video?
                        Podcasting is so cliché. :)
                        (Totally not a diss on podcasters)

                        Aaron
                      • jonnygoldstein
                        Message 11 of 28 , Feb 27, 2005
                          I wasn't offended til they started dancing around like leprechauns at the end. That crossed
                          the line for me.

                          Message 12 of 28 , Feb 28, 2005
                            Hi everyone:

                            At 10:18 PM 2/27/2005, you wrote:

                            Are you trying to offend people? Is that important to you?
                            Just curious. Personally, I don't really care. But I think itsa little
                            funny that you're fishing for outrage here.

                            Well, being the Liberal I am....I look at it this way....

                            While I deem it to be DISRESPECTFUL & HIGHLY UNAMERICAN to desecrate and burn the American Flag, I *ALSO* believe in one's right to FREE SPEECH.  If that means burning the flag, then SO BE IT.

                            That said though, I think you need to be reminded Mr. Wolf that this *isn't* a group that discusses political issues (even though you've vlogged about it, which IS the purpose of the group).  Yes, we DO need to take back the media by BECOMING the media.  But we mustn't allow ourselves to get political as that will only result in flame wars, which will in turn defeat the purpose of WHY the group was formed.

                            If you want to discuss the issue further, please choose a POLITICAL group.

                            Just my opinion  :)

                            Message 13 of 28 , Feb 28, 2005
                              On Feb 28, 2005, at 12:26 AM, Jeeper One TV wrote:

                              > Well, being the Liberal I am....I look at it this way....
                              >
                              > While I deem it to be DISRESPECTFUL & HIGHLY UNAMERICAN to desecrate
                              > and burn the American Flag, I *ALSO* believe in one's right to FREE
                              > SPEECH.  If that means burning the flag, then SO BE IT.

                              Opinion noted...

                              > That said though, I think you need to be reminded Mr. Wolf that this
                              > *isn't* a group that discusses political issues (even though you've
                              > vlogged about it, which IS the purpose of the group).  Yes, we DO need
                              > to take back the media by BECOMING the media.  But we mustn't allow
                              > ourselves to get political as that will only result in flame wars,
                              > which will in turn defeat the purpose of WHY the group was formed.
                              >
                              > If you want to discuss the issue further, please choose a POLITICAL
                              > group.

                              You think I need to be reminded that this isn't a group that discusses
                              political issues. Ok, well thanks for the reminder I hope you feel that
                              you did an adequate job.

                              I never really tried to engage this e-mail list in a political
                              discussion. Nor was I necessarily trying to get a discussion about my
                              vlog going in this e-mail list, either. It was a solicitation for
                              comments on my vlog - I made the post because I was surprised and
                              somewhat disappointed that the piece didn't drum up some sort of
                              response.

                              We mustn't allow ourselves to get political? I don't know about that
                              one, but we should refrain from engaging in flame wars. Although it is
                              possible to have rational, intelligent, but also heated discussions
                              back and forth that are not flame wars.

                              Honestly, I don't feel like I *ever* really discussed the issue from a
                              political perspective other than asking if it offends you.

                              Josh
                              "We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into to peace."
                              "Power to the peaceful!"

                              Spearhead - Bomb the World
                            • Adam Quirk
                              Message 14 of 28 , Feb 28, 2005
                                Josh,

                                I was not offended. I did think the dancing was hilarious and
                                depressing at the same time. People think burning a flag is going to
                                usher in progress or accomplish something other than an extra 5
                                minutes of the street-sweeper's time? Awwww.

                                JeeperONe,

                                As far as I CAN tell, you're the only ONE talking politics IN this discussion.
                                Calm IT down A bit, MAYBE.

                                -Adam

                                On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 00:46:33 -0800, Josh Wolf <inthecity@...> wrote:

                                > On Feb 28, 2005, at 12:26 AM, Jeeper One TV wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Well, being the Liberal I am....I look at it this way....
                                > >
                                > > While I deem it to be DISRESPECTFUL & HIGHLY UNAMERICAN to desecrate
                                > > and burn the American Flag, I *ALSO* believe in one's right to FREE
                                > > SPEECH. If that means burning the flag, then SO BE IT.
                                >
                                > Opinion noted...
                                >
                                > > That said though, I think you need to be reminded Mr. Wolf that this
                                > > *isn't* a group that discusses political issues (even though you've
                                > > vlogged about it, which IS the purpose of the group). Yes, we DO need
                                > > to take back the media by BECOMING the media. But we mustn't allow
                                > > ourselves to get political as that will only result in flame wars,
                                > > which will in turn defeat the purpose of WHY the group was formed.
                                > >
                                > > If you want to discuss the issue further, please choose a POLITICAL
                                > > group.
                                >
                                > You think I need to be reminded that this isn't a group that discusses
                                > political issues. Ok, well thanks for the reminder I hope you feel that
                                > you did an adequate job.
                                >
                                > I never really tried to engage this e-mail list in a political
                                > discussion. Nor was I necessarily trying to get a discussion about my
                                > vlog going in this e-mail list, either. It was a solicitation for
                                > comments on my vlog - I made the post because I was surprised and
                                > somewhat disappointed that the piece didn't drum up some sort of
                                > response.
                                >
                                > We mustn't allow ourselves to get political? I don't know about that
                                > one, but we should refrain from engaging in flame wars. Although it is
                                > possible to have rational, intelligent, but also heated discussions
                                > back and forth that are not flame wars.
                                >
                                > Honestly, I don't feel like I *ever* really discussed the issue from a
                                > political perspective other than asking if it offends you.
                                >
                                > Josh

                              • James B
                                Message 15 of 28 , Feb 28, 2005

                                  Reverend William Sloane Coffin, Jr. once said that to be a true patriot is to not only love your country but to have the ability to address its flaws.

                                • ryanne hodson
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Mar 1 11:27 AM
                                    > That said though, I think you need to be reminded Mr. Wolf that this
                                    > *isn't* a group that discusses political issues

                                    um
                                    what?
                                    since when is this true?
                                    sure we dont tend to hash out the repbulican democrat two party
                                    platform type of discussions (BORING!!!!)
                                    but everything else we do and say, with small exceptions (i cant' even
                                    think of any), is political.
                                    dont let the fun of vlogging fool you into thinking this isnt "political"
                                    political as a vocab word is far reaching
                                    and can be used for more than shitty, presidential elections or tv
                                    news coverage of crap.

                                    i am political, it is inherent to the nature of vlogging.
                                    like it or not.
                                    this group is not limited by what we "can and can not" discuss.
                                    --
                                    we ARE the media.

                                    new videos daily:
                                    http://ryanedit.blogspot.com

                                    Get ANT: The first Video Aggregator
                                    http://www.antnottv.org

                                    RSS (subscribe to my blog):
                                    http://feeds.feedburner.com/RyannesVideoBlog

                                    What is RSS Ryan?
                                    http://news.yahoo.com/rss

                                    ~Ryan Hodson~
                                    Video Editor/Producer
                                    http://ryanedit.com
                                  • Jeeper One TV
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Mar 1 12:32 PM
                                      Hi everyone:

                                      At 12:27 PM 3/1/2005, you wrote:

                                      >  That said though, I think you need to be reminded Mr. Wolf that this
                                      > *isn't* a group that discusses political issues

                                      um
                                      what?
                                      since when is this true?

                                      [snip...]

                                      dont let the fun of vlogging fool you into thinking this isnt "political"

                                      But we shouldn't let it think that it *is* either.  If we do, we'll be too busy hurling flames at each other to do what the group was formed for in the first place - INTRODUCING PEOPLE TO THE WORLD OF VLOGGING.

                                      political as a vocab word is far reaching
                                      and can be used for more than shitty, presidential elections or tv
                                      news coverage of crap.

                                      Yes, but there are other groups created for that purpose (I hear some of the idiots from the old boulder.general newsgroup now have their own Yahoo! Group).  Simply because we possess the tools to (potentially) change politics doesn't mean we as group should allow ourselves to get caught up in it.  That isn't what this group was created for.  This group was created to introduce people to the world of vlogging.  If we let ourselves get caught up in politics, people who want to learn how to vlog won't be able to tell the difference between us and some of the political groups that are around.

                                      i am political, it is inherent to the nature of vlogging.
                                      like it or not.

                                      Who says so?  You?  Sorry, but I disagree.  Vlogging, like its precedesseors blogging and podcasting, is about EXPRESSING IDEAS & THOUGHTS.  Whether they're political or not.

                                      Like THAT or not.

                                      this group is not limited by what we "can and can not" discuss.
                                      --
                                      we ARE the media.

                                      Agreed.  But we shouldn't limit ourselves to politics.  In fact doing so would do more harm to the medium than good.  Something you might wanna think about.

                                      If that sounds "old skool" then so be it, but it's just my opinion.

                                      Cheers for now  :)

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Mar 1 12:48 PM
                                        as many of you know
                                        i cringe when people tell me what i should and should not be discussing.
                                        esp on such a diverse group list like this.
                                        i think these discussions should go on mostly in video format
                                        for that is what we are here for
                                        but if text starts and continues on the list, fine.

                                        when have you seen us get caught up in political talk on this list patrick?
                                        you talk about whatever you want
                                        and so will i.
                                        if people choose to respond, on or off this list
                                        so be it.

                                        but dont think you can dictate what people should and shouldnt talk about here.
                                        you have your opinion, i have mine wether or not this is "political"
                                        or subversive or fun or boring or powerful or useless or whatever
                                        and you can start discussions about whatever you want.

                                        just dont think you can tell me what i should and shouldnt do.

                                        the end,
                                        ryanne

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Mar 1 12:55 PM
                                          Jeeper, you're talking about the politics of left-vs-right, but I
                                          think you're missing the point.

                                          Ryanne (and many of us) are talking about the politics of personal
                                          expression. Vlogging is inherently political, even if the content
                                          itself does not engage in the theater of punditry that we've become
                                          accustomed to (and tend to expect when we hear the word "poltical") on
                                          shows like "Crossfire" or "Hannity & Colmes".

                                          -Josh

                                          On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 13:32:52 -0700, Jeeper One TV <kpdcnettv@...> wrote:
                                          > Hi everyone:
                                          >
                                          > At 12:27 PM 3/1/2005, you wrote:
                                          >

                                          > > That said though, I think you need to be reminded Mr. Wolf that this
                                          > > *isn't* a group that discusses political issues
                                          >
                                          > um
                                          > what?
                                          > since when is this true?
                                          > [snip...]
                                          >

                                          > dont let the fun of vlogging fool you into thinking this isnt "political"
                                          > But we shouldn't let it think that it *is* either. If we do, we'll be too
                                          > busy hurling flames at each other to do what the group was formed for in the
                                          > first place - INTRODUCING PEOPLE TO THE WORLD OF VLOGGING.
                                          >

                                          > political as a vocab word is far reaching
                                          > and can be used for more than shitty, presidential elections or tv
                                          > news coverage of crap.
                                          > Yes, but there are other groups created for that purpose (I hear some of
                                          > the idiots from the old boulder.general newsgroup now have their own Yahoo!
                                          > Group). Simply because we possess the tools to (potentially) change
                                          > politics doesn't mean we as group should allow ourselves to get caught up in
                                          > it. That isn't what this group was created for. This group was created to
                                          > introduce people to the world of vlogging. If we let ourselves get caught
                                          > up in politics, people who want to learn how to vlog won't be able to tell
                                          > the difference between us and some of the political groups that are around.
                                          >

                                          > i am political, it is inherent to the nature of vlogging.
                                          > like it or not.
                                          > Who says so? You? Sorry, but I disagree. Vlogging, like its
                                          > precedesseors blogging and podcasting, is about EXPRESSING IDEAS & THOUGHTS.
                                          > Whether they're political or not.
                                          >
                                          > Like THAT or not.
                                          >

                                          > this group is not limited by what we "can and can not" discuss.
                                          > --
                                          > we ARE the media.
                                          > Agreed. But we shouldn't limit ourselves to politics. In fact doing so
                                          > would do more harm to the medium than good. Something you might wanna think
                                          > about.
                                          >
                                          > If that sounds "old skool" then so be it, but it's just my opinion.
                                          >
                                          > Cheers for now :)
                                          >
                                          > Patrick Cook
                                        • Verdi
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Mar 1 1:30 PM
                                            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Jeeper One TV <kpdcnettv@c...>
                                            wrote:

                                            > >[Ryanne] i am political, it is inherent to the nature of vlogging.
                                            > >like it or not.
                                            >
                                            > Who says so? You? Sorry, but I disagree. Vlogging, like its
                                            > precedesseors blogging and podcasting, is about EXPRESSING IDEAS &
                                            > THOUGHTS. Whether they're political or not.
                                            >
                                            > Like THAT or not.

                                            Being able to express your ideas and thoughts is, by nature, a
                                            political act. For example see: everyone who's stood up and said
                                            something important (or not) in the history of our existance.

                                            -Verdi
                                          • Verdi
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Mar 1 1:35 PM
                                              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Joshua Kinberg <jkinberg@g...>
                                              wrote:
                                              > Jeeper, you're talking about the politics of left-vs-right, but I
                                              > think you're missing the point.
                                              >
                                              > Ryanne (and many of us) are talking about the politics of personal
                                              > expression. Vlogging is inherently political, even if the content
                                              > itself does not engage in the theater of punditry that we've become
                                              > accustomed to (and tend to expect when we hear the word "poltical") on
                                              > shows like "Crossfire" or "Hannity & Colmes".
                                              >
                                              > -Josh

                                              I didn't read this perfectly worded response before posting my own.
                                              Thanks Josh!

                                              - Michael "you can't do shit about that" Verdi
                                            • Jeeper One TV
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Mar 1 8:15 PM
                                                Hi everyone:

                                                wrote:

                                                > >[Ryanne] i am political, it is inherent to the nature of vlogging.
                                                > >like it or not.
                                                >
                                                > Who says so?  You?  Sorry, but I disagree.  Vlogging, like its
                                                > precedesseors blogging and podcasting, is about EXPRESSING IDEAS &
                                                > THOUGHTS.  Whether they're political or not.
                                                >
                                                > Like THAT or not.

                                                Being able to express your ideas and thoughts is, by nature, a
                                                political act.  For example see: everyone who's stood up and said
                                                something important (or not) in the history of our existance.

                                                I think it's more CULTURAL than political, but that's just MY opinion.  :)

                                                I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one (THANK GOD the Republicans haven't THAT away from us!)  :)

                                                Cheers for now  :)

                                                Patrick Cook
                                                pchamster@...
                                                kpdcnettv@...
                                                Denver, Colorado
                                                http://kpdcnettv.tripod.com/blog.html
                                                http://kpdcnettv.tripod.com/blog/
                                                TEXT RSS Feed - http://kpdcnettv.tripod.com/blog/rss.xml
                                                PODCAST RSS Feed - http://jeeperone.tripod.com/blog/podcasts/patspodcast/rss.xml (NEW & PERMANENT FEED!!!)
                                              • Michael Sullivan
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Mar 1 9:32 PM
                                                  Patrick,
                                                  Political Discourse is *part* of culture.
                                                  My advice to you is not to get so hung up on the words and your own
                                                  personal interpretations of the language used here. You can be
                                                  political whilst not discussing governing politics.
                                                  Reading your messages here in this group has annoyed me mor ethan
                                                  once. Not that you should care.... but I thought I would point it out
                                                  ;-)

                                                  On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 21:15:35 -0700, Jeeper One TV <kpdcnettv@...> wrote:
                                                  > Hi everyone:
                                                  >
                                                  > At 02:30 PM 3/1/2005, you wrote:
                                                  >

                                                  > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Jeeper One TV <kpdcnettv@c...>
                                                  > wrote:
                                                  > >
                                                  > > >[Ryanne] i am political, it is inherent to the nature of vlogging.
                                                  > > >like it or not.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Who says so? You? Sorry, but I disagree. Vlogging, like its
                                                  > > precedesseors blogging and podcasting, is about EXPRESSING IDEAS &
                                                  > > THOUGHTS. Whether they're political or not.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Like THAT or not.
                                                  >
                                                  > Being able to express your ideas and thoughts is, by nature, a
                                                  > political act. For example see: everyone who's stood up and said
                                                  > something important (or not) in the history of our existance.
                                                  > I think it's more CULTURAL than political, but that's just MY opinion. :)
                                                  >
                                                  > I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one (THANK GOD the
                                                  > Republicans haven't THAT away from us!) :)
                                                  >
                                                  > Cheers for now :)
                                                  >
                                                  > Patrick Cook
                                                  > pchamster@...
                                                  > kpdcnettv@...
                                                  > Denver, Colorado
                                                  > http://kpdcnettv.tripod.com/blog.html
                                                  > http://kpdcnettv.tripod.com/blog/
                                                  > TEXT RSS Feed - http://kpdcnettv.tripod.com/blog/rss.xml
                                                  > PODCAST RSS Feed -
                                                  > http://jeeperone.tripod.com/blog/podcasts/patspodcast/rss.xml (NEW &
                                                  > PERMANENT FEED!!!)
                                                  >
                                                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                                  > Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.

                                                  ~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~
                                                  i n t e r d i g i t a t e . c o m
                                                  =====================
                                                • Michael Meiser
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Mar 2 4:03 AM
                                                    Alright, How to keep short on the subject of politics. That's so very
                                                    hard for me :)

                                                    First, I laughed with delight as I watched this post play out. It was
                                                    an anti-flame. So interesting so informative. I love it.

                                                    Josh W., I think in a way you're preaching to the choir. We're here to
                                                    support and help you, we love the medium, citizens democracy,
                                                    regardless of your political position and wether we agree with you or
                                                    not. We're going to respect your freedom of speech because that's what
                                                    we stand for. We're probably going to give you criticisms more based on
                                                    your craft not the direct content, perhaps also the underly political
                                                    concepts we all touch on. Finally we're going to encourage you to find
                                                    and hone your voice because that's what we're all doing and that's what
                                                    we love, or at least what I love. I love coming here every day or going
                                                    out there on the web, mefeedia, or ANT and finding real people speaking
                                                    their minds. It's so refreshing I may not get over the basic enjoyment
                                                    before I die. Life. Real life happening.

                                                    Second, I saw your post the other day, but I guess I missed watching
                                                    it. Probably because I just added your feed to ANT, and del.icio.us'd
                                                    it. Sorry about that. I'm glad I caught it today.

                                                    I liked it. I'm really looking forward to more. I guess it doesn't
                                                    really hit me personally, because while there were some new things
                                                    going on I don't have any context, I don't know who you are or anything
                                                    about you. My response was a little benign and the reason is simple, I
                                                    can't empathize with you if I don't know you. When I see clips like
                                                    Chris Weagel's commentary on Walgreens in his hometown I go ape,
                                                    (posted to the video blogging group today) but it's because I have
                                                    loads of back-story on Chris Weagel. In fact without the back-story I
                                                    probably wouldn't "get" his video at all. He's one of the true pioneers
                                                    of this here sport that's only months old. :)

                                                    As such I loved your video too, but as was said in previous posts, it
                                                    takes time to establish an identity, trust, a persona, etc. One post
                                                    isn't going to do it. We need more, more, more! While I think what
                                                    you're doing is great and unique and original in it's own way, what
                                                    this critique is, is more of a critique of what's missing, what's not
                                                    in the video, the hand of the creator as they say. The thing that truly
                                                    makes what you do unique, that makes your videos unique, is you and
                                                    your point of view.

                                                    The person you're looking for who's going to be incensed to rage and
                                                    call you a nazi and a baby killer is going to come from "out there"
                                                    somewhere, and trust me sooner or later they'll find your post and
                                                    you'll get that response. It's what makes this medium great! But in the
                                                    day to day your videos are just pieces of the story, like words in a
                                                    conversation with friends and associates.

                                                    Sooner or later someone will come along and deconstruct them, take them
                                                    out of context, restructure and reuse them, and what happens then is a
                                                    whole new fun and even more interesting game. See Google: "the youngest
                                                    video blogger in the world" :)

                                                    Also, we've had this political discussion here before. There was a
                                                    saying someone posted. A quote. I hunted it down and looked it up
                                                    because it's a great quote.

                                                    "The personal is political."

                                                    It grew out of the feminist movement, though it's usage and meaning has
                                                    spread far beyond women's lib. What it means (and this is particularly
                                                    obvious in times when civil rights are suppressed) is... that a person
                                                    can't be who they are without making a political stand and a political
                                                    statement.

                                                    Something as simple and personal as a black woman getting on on a bus
                                                    can be a huge political statement. Though Rosa Parks and the 1955 bus
                                                    boycott happened well before the term was coined I think it illustrates
                                                    my point well. The phrase's value is in that it humanizes the political
                                                    endeavor and forces you to empathize with the point of view of those
                                                    who are suppressed. When a tired old black lady can't even get a seat
                                                    on the bus at the end of a long day how can she NOT be political?

                                                    We saw this with the Tsunami's this last year, we did not see this in
                                                    the Sudan. Go figure.

                                                    Maybe there's something there for you to drive back into your video
                                                    work. How much more powerful could your video's be if people saw you
                                                    yourself just like them. Not people giving a neo-nazi german salute to
                                                    a bunch of America's finest, but perhaps a real person like Josh
                                                    Kinberg sitting on a bike, approached, arrested, thousands of dollars
                                                    worth of equipment confiscated, laptop, cell phone, bike, etc... all
                                                    hulled away for doing nothing more criminal than that which kids do
                                                    with their chalk when they play hopscotch.
                                                    http://www.bikesagainstbush.com/

                                                    Though I must admit it was hare more political, but in the absolute
                                                    best way. :)

                                                    Warning tangent, next 3 paragraphs...

                                                    It make me personally say, what the hell kind of government is this we
                                                    live with that would seek to suppress an intellectual debate on
                                                    technology and free speech. A positive intellectual debate that was
                                                    getting nationwide attention just as the NYPD stifled it. Killed it in
                                                    fact. Speeches were not given, demonstrations not made, conference
                                                    presentations missed, slashdot conversations not had, national debate
                                                    NOT had. These conversations are the very things we need at the very
                                                    time we needed them! Things I personally looked forward to.

                                                    That's abuse to me, that's suppression of free speech, and for that we
                                                    have to make the city of NY and the NYPD pay in court costs and fines.
                                                    We have to make sure that suppression of free speech through mass
                                                    arrests is NOT a cost effective civil tool and is found not to be
                                                    acceptable legally. Perhaps they think they can get away with this
                                                    because it's post 9/11 NY. I don't know, but if it's not illegal to
                                                    arrest people and pull them off the street for 48 - 72 hours to stop
                                                    them from speaking there minds in a time of need, then what's next?

                                                    Where's the grey area we've created. Can we pull a politician of the
                                                    street for "inciting" a croud at an impromtu political rally in the
                                                    final days of his campaign in some sleepy Georgia town right when his
                                                    presence is most critical to his election? Can we confiscate a work of
                                                    art until it's purpose for being is not longer relevant? Surely you
                                                    would consider Josh's ingenious bicycle printer a work of Art and his
                                                    demonstrations a performance piece? These are the insights that
                                                    empathy gives me, as an artist, a designer, a citizen, and a huge lover
                                                    of bicycling advocacy.

                                                    PS. Josh, Did you ever get your equipment back!? I've been dying for
                                                    the follow up but didn't want to bug you. Please do let us all know.

                                                    The Quote...

                                                    Ok, I Found it, it looks like of all people it was Joshua Kinberg who
                                                    posted the quote "The personal is political." on Feb 5th at 8:01:10 so
                                                    you can go back and look it up if you'd like to see the context. It was
                                                    a political debate.

                                                    Here's the quote from Josh...

                                                    > The phrase "the personal is political" easily dates back to the early
                                                    > 60's (maybe earlier?) and the origins of the Feminist movement. Not
                                                    > sure who actually coined it. It was also adopted pretty quickly in the
                                                    > 60's by activist groups like SDS, and has since become somewhat of a
                                                    > cultural aphorism.

                                                    I've seen info that the term was phrased by Carol Hanish for a Miss
                                                    America Protest some where in 1970 or there about, but you'd really
                                                    have to do some digging. It appears to be a point of much debate.

                                                    Cheers,

                                                    -Mike

                                                    Michael Meiser - he of many, many, many words
                                                    http://mmeiser.com/blog - fun stuff
                                                    http://mmeiser.com/backchannel - serious lunacy stuff

                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Mar 2 8:44 PM
                                                      Hi everyone:

                                                      At 10:32 PM 3/1/2005, you wrote:

                                                      Patrick,
                                                      Political Discourse is *part* of culture.

                                                      True, but it is SOCIETY & CULTURE that drives politics.  Listening to the interpretations given here, one would thinkm it's the other way around though.  THAT is the point I'm trying to make.

                                                      I mean SERIOUSLY.  Look at the political scene today.  If it weren't for corporations feeding the warchests of a few crooked politicians in Washington (To say nothing of the Republican Party itself), do you HONESTLY believe our government would be the mess that it is today?  Do you HONESTLY believe there would be a consensus within the media of a so-called "liberal bias"??

                                                      The reason WHY we are in this mess is because WE AS A SOCIETY SAT ON OUR COLLECTIVE HANDS AND DID NOTHING!!!!  Now we HAVE to do something and a few of us ARE doing something.  Problem is, the idiots in Washington are seemingly too busy listening to the corporate moguls who would just assume maintain the status quo if they don't get EVEN MORE control over our government.

                                                      Hence the political discourse we are in.

                                                      Unless WE AS A SOCIETY change things BOTH WITHIN OURSELVES **AND** IN WASHINGTON, we're just gonna keep seeing M.O.T.S (more of the same) style of government we've seen since 2000.

                                                      My advice to you is not to get so hung up on the words and your own
                                                      personal interpretations of the language used here.  You can be
                                                      political whilst not discussing governing politics.
                                                      Reading your messages here in this group has annoyed me mor ethan
                                                      once. Not that you should care.... but I thought I would point it out
                                                      ;-)

                                                      MY advice would be for the far left to STOP THE FINGERPOINTING.  Once that's done, THEN we can use blogging, podcasting, and vlogging to shape a "New World Order" as it were.  Yes, there'll be those on the Right who will use these same technologies for their own cause, but we all know they just simply wanna bury their heads in the friggin' sand UNLESS AND/OR UNTIL their son or daughter is sent overseas.  THEN they might care.

                                                      Then again, maybe not.

                                                      As for the discussion of political vlogging, perhaps another group could be set up SPECIFICALLY for that purpose?  This would seem to be in order (Not to mention a better idea).  Then this way, people who would just assume talk about vlogging about "Grandma's Secret Recipe For Homemade Cookies" or whatever can have a place to turn to that's NOT caught up in political discussion while those who want to talk about setting up a vlog for their local city councilman, State Rep or other public official can do so WITHOUT being jumped on.  :)

                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Mar 2 10:45 PM
                                                        If god existed this blather would not be in my email box.
                                                      • Shannon Noble
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Mar 3 6:26 AM
                                                          Touche'. At the base of things, it's all about tribalism, survival,
                                                          and spreading genes....and who can be the most creative about it. By
                                                          winning, we lose.

                                                          On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 01:45:47 -0500, Adam Quirk <bullemhead@...> wrote:

                                                          > If god existed this blather would not be in my email box.
                                                          >

                                                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                                        • Harold Johnson
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Mar 5 9:24 AM
                                                            Well, it certainly looks like Josh got the responses he seemed to be
                                                            fishing for...

                                                            Harold J. Johnson