Re: Next New Networks passes 100 million views in 9 months

  • Steve Watkins
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2008
      Cheers for the info. I didnt mean I wanted to hear controvertial things about them, or that
      I rate companies based on controversy, just that they havent been talked about in too
      much detail on this list because a lot of the discussions here about companies are when
      they do something wrong.

      So yeah I just want to hear more about the helping, and people's experiences, anything
      like that which hasnt been discussed a lot here already. It was only just over a year ago
      that there was a brief period here where it looked like some new partnerships/networks
      were gonna arrive that would be either about helping, or helping themselves. 2007 looked
      like an interesting year to progress (or sellout, depending on your perspective), but that all
      fizzled out before much came of it, so Im trying to go back and survey the reality of the
      slow march to progress, hopefully on a stable foundation, that has emerged over the
      years. I would guess that the level of delusions of grandeur and instant mega-millions in
      this field has now peaked, and those with the right mix of talent, hard work, luck & energy
      will march steadily on towards a fulfilling career in independent online video.

      Cheers

      Steve Elbows

      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Cammack" <billcammack@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > >
      > > Good for them :)
      > >
      > > I want to hear more about NNN and others on this list, if anybody
      > has any insight. They
      > > must have avoided controversy so far, so we havent heard about them
      > too much.
      >
      > That's an interesting thing to think about a company... "they have
      > avoided controversy"! hahahaha :D
      >
      > Their blog is <http://blog.nextnewnetworks.com/>. Lots of the things
      > they've done, as well as the people they've hired are mentioned on
      > their blog.
      >
      > I can't think of anything potentially controversial that they do,
      > offhand. You pitch them a show, and if it looks good to them as far
      > as fitting in with their business plan, they'll pick up your show. If
      > it does well, fine. If not, it goes on hiatus. It seems to be a
      > relatively simple operation.
      >
      > From what I've seen over the last year and a half on this group,
      > companies become controversial when they get greedy... When they're
      > perceived as USING people more than they're HELPING them. In the case
      > of NNN, they give podcasters money for creating content, they aid with
      > website creation and super-distribution and they look for advertising
      > opportunities / sponsors for their shows. All that stuff falls under
      > the "helping" category, which makes them currently "less
      > controversial" than others. :)
      >
      > --
      > Bill
      > BillCammack.com
      >

      > > I applauded them once or twice int he past for doing a few things
      > better than the others in
      > > my opinion, such as trying to create strongly recognisable channels
      > and consistent
      > > content, and perhaps showing some signs of knowing how to entertain
      > an audience rather
      > > than be some weird failed web 2.0 disaster.
      > >
      > > I dont want to hear only about the bad side of companies, after
      > somethings gone wrong
      > > and people are expressing their dissapointment in public. We have
      > heard much of the
      > > failings of some. We know that some show creators are looking for
      > the following sorts of
      > > things from a partner:
      > >
      > > Help with...
      > > Distribution
      > > Advertising
      > > Promotion
      > > Show development
      > >

      > > From whats been said so far, there are plenty of partners helping
      > with the first two, but
      > > promotion and show development may not have received the same
      > emphasis. So is there
      > > anybody who can report anything positive on that front, whether it
      > be in relation to NNN
      > > or any other entity?
      > >
      > > Cheers
      > >
      > > Steve Elbows
      > >
      > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Rupert Howe" <rupert@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > NNN includes shows like including EpicFu/Jetset, Indy Mogul,
      > > > Veracifier and Josh Leo's new show Ultra Kawaii.

    • Steve Woolf
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2008
        We've worked with Next New Networks since the middle of March 2007 for JETSET/EPIC-
        FU as content creators that had an existing show. Most of NNN's stable consists of shows
        they created, own, or acquired, so our experience may be a bit different than someone
        who works with NNN full-time.

        The team they have assembled there is outstanding. At the top you have people with real
        experience building some of the strongest brands we have ever seen in media with entities
        like MTV, Nickelodeon, and the Sundance Channel. And then you have guys like Tim Shey
        who know the new media and online video world intimately. It's a great mix, and it is no
        accident that they are succeeding with their plans. The supporting team is extremely
        talented, with producer/editor teams that get shit done and an infrastructure of
        administrative and ad sales personnel that is fluid and responsive.

        Along the way we've found them to be completely respectful of our show and our wishes,
        and they have made efforts to find sponsors and products that work well with our
        audience. This month we'll be part of a promotion for the movie "Rambo" that will be
        crossing a number of their networks, and it seems like they are beginning to line up more
        and more sponsorship deals for shows.

        I know it sounds like I'm singing their praises to death here, but there's not a whole lot of
        negative stuff that we have encountered. I always recommend them as a choice for
        people with show ideas that fit the kinds of things they already have going.

        It's been a little complicated for us figuring out where EPIC-FU fits in the overall scheme
        of NNN, since they don't own our show and we are not technically a "network." So we've
        been working together to find the best way we can each feel secure moving forward, and
        also to find the best way to ensure that we are able to employ the same resources and
        promotion that their other shows enjoy. In this process of finding a creative working
        arrangement we've explored a number of options that each of us has put forth, and we've
        always found them to be considerate and respectful.

        They have also shown that they are willing to retool networks that are not growing to
        expectations, and the business strategy is constantly evolving.

        Zadi and I have every confidence that Next New Networks will be one of the media
        companies that is looked upon as thought leaders as well as brand builders. 100 million
        videos viewed in 9 months is pretty remarkable by any standard

        Steve