Re: Next New Networks passes 100 million views in 9 months

  • Steve Watkins
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2008
      Good for them :)

      I want to hear more about NNN and others on this list, if anybody has any insight. They
      must have avoided controversy so far, so we havent heard about them too much. I
      applauded them once or twice int he past for doing a few things better than the others in
      my opinion, such as trying to create strongly recognisable channels and consistent
      content, and perhaps showing some signs of knowing how to entertain an audience rather
      than be some weird failed web 2.0 disaster.

      I dont want to hear only about the bad side of companies, after somethings gone wrong
      and people are expressing their dissapointment in public. We have heard much of the
      failings of some. We know that some show creators are looking for the following sorts of
      things from a partner:

      Help with...
      Distribution
      Advertising
      Promotion
      Show development

      From whats been said so far, there are plenty of partners helping with the first two, but
      promotion and show development may not have received the same emphasis. So is there
      anybody who can report anything positive on that front, whether it be in relation to NNN
      or any other entity?

      Cheers

      Steve Elbows

      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Rupert Howe" <rupert@...> wrote:

      > NNN includes shows like including EpicFu/Jetset, Indy Mogul,
      > Veracifier and Josh Leo's new show Ultra Kawaii.
      > Congratulations.
      >
      > Blog post here:
      > http://blog.nextnewnetworks.com/index.php/2007/12/31/we-did-it-100-million-
      views-in-one-year/
      > or
      > http://tinyurl.com/2lsqks

    • Bill Cammack
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2008
        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Watkins" <steve@...> wrote:

        > Good for them :)
        >
        > I want to hear more about NNN and others on this list, if anybody
        has any insight. They
        > must have avoided controversy so far, so we havent heard about them
        too much.

        That's an interesting thing to think about a company... "they have
        avoided controversy"! hahahaha :D

        Their blog is <http://blog.nextnewnetworks.com/>. Lots of the things
        they've done, as well as the people they've hired are mentioned on
        their blog.

        I can't think of anything potentially controversial that they do,
        offhand. You pitch them a show, and if it looks good to them as far
        as fitting in with their business plan, they'll pick up your show. If
        it does well, fine. If not, it goes on hiatus. It seems to be a
        relatively simple operation.

        From what I've seen over the last year and a half on this group,
        companies become controversial when they get greedy... When they're
        perceived as USING people more than they're HELPING them. In the case
        of NNN, they give podcasters money for creating content, they aid with
        website creation and super-distribution and they look for advertising
        opportunities / sponsors for their shows. All that stuff falls under
        the "helping" category, which makes them currently "less
        controversial" than others. :)

        --
        Bill
        BillCammack.com

        > I applauded them once or twice int he past for doing a few things
        better than the others in
        > my opinion, such as trying to create strongly recognisable channels
        and consistent
        > content, and perhaps showing some signs of knowing how to entertain
        an audience rather
        > than be some weird failed web 2.0 disaster.
        >
        > I dont want to hear only about the bad side of companies, after
        somethings gone wrong
        > and people are expressing their dissapointment in public. We have
        heard much of the
        > failings of some. We know that some show creators are looking for
        the following sorts of
        > things from a partner:
        >
        > Help with...
        > Distribution
        > Advertising
        > Promotion
        > Show development
        >

        > From whats been said so far, there are plenty of partners helping
        with the first two, but
        > promotion and show development may not have received the same
        emphasis. So is there
        > anybody who can report anything positive on that front, whether it
        be in relation to NNN
        > or any other entity?
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > Steve Elbows
        >
        > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Rupert Howe" <rupert@> wrote:
        > >
        > > NNN includes shows like including EpicFu/Jetset, Indy Mogul,
        > > Veracifier and Josh Leo's new show Ultra Kawaii.
        > > Congratulations.
        > >
        > > Blog post here:

        http://blog.nextnewnetworks.com/index.php/2007/12/31/we-did-it-100-million-
        > views-in-one-year/
        > > or
        > > http://tinyurl.com/2lsqks

      • Steve Watkins
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2008
          Cheers for the info. I didnt mean I wanted to hear controvertial things about them, or that
          I rate companies based on controversy, just that they havent been talked about in too
          much detail on this list because a lot of the discussions here about companies are when
          they do something wrong.

          So yeah I just want to hear more about the helping, and people's experiences, anything
          like that which hasnt been discussed a lot here already. It was only just over a year ago
          that there was a brief period here where it looked like some new partnerships/networks
          were gonna arrive that would be either about helping, or helping themselves. 2007 looked
          like an interesting year to progress (or sellout, depending on your perspective), but that all
          fizzled out before much came of it, so Im trying to go back and survey the reality of the
          slow march to progress, hopefully on a stable foundation, that has emerged over the
          years. I would guess that the level of delusions of grandeur and instant mega-millions in
          this field has now peaked, and those with the right mix of talent, hard work, luck & energy
          will march steadily on towards a fulfilling career in independent online video.

          Cheers

          Steve Elbows

          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Cammack" <billcammack@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > the following sorts of
          > > things from a partner:
          > >
          > > Help with...
          > > Distribution
          > > Advertising
          > > Promotion
          > > Show development
          > >

          > > From whats been said so far, there are plenty of partners helping
          > with the first two, but
          > > promotion and show development may not have received the same
          > emphasis. So is there
          > > anybody who can report anything positive on that front, whether it
          > be in relation to NNN
          > > or any other entity?
          > >
          > > Cheers
          > >
          > > Steve Elbows
          > >
          > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Rupert Howe" <rupert@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > NNN includes shows like including EpicFu/Jetset, Indy Mogul,
          > > > Veracifier and Josh Leo's new show Ultra Kawaii.

        • Steve Woolf
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 2, 2008
            We've worked with Next New Networks since the middle of March 2007 for JETSET/EPIC-
            FU as content creators that had an existing show. Most of NNN's stable consists of shows
            they created, own, or acquired, so our experience may be a bit different than someone
            who works with NNN full-time.

            The team they have assembled there is outstanding. At the top you have people with real
            experience building some of the strongest brands we have ever seen in media with entities
            like MTV, Nickelodeon, and the Sundance Channel. And then you have guys like Tim Shey
            who know the new media and online video world intimately. It's a great mix, and it is no
            accident that they are succeeding with their plans. The supporting team is extremely
            talented, with producer/editor teams that get shit done and an infrastructure of
            administrative and ad sales personnel that is fluid and responsive.

            Along the way we've found them to be completely respectful of our show and our wishes,
            and they have made efforts to find sponsors and products that work well with our
            audience. This month we'll be part of a promotion for the movie "Rambo" that will be
            crossing a number of their networks, and it seems like they are beginning to line up more
            and more sponsorship deals for shows.

            I know it sounds like I'm singing their praises to death here, but there's not a whole lot of
            negative stuff that we have encountered. I always recommend them as a choice for
            people with show ideas that fit the kinds of things they already have going.

            It's been a little complicated for us figuring out where EPIC-FU fits in the overall scheme
            of NNN, since they don't own our show and we are not technically a "network." So we've
            been working together to find the best way we can each feel secure moving forward, and
            also to find the best way to ensure that we are able to employ the same resources and
            promotion that their other shows enjoy. In this process of finding a creative working
            arrangement we've explored a number of options that each of us has put forth, and we've
            always found them to be considerate and respectful.

            They have also shown that they are willing to retool networks that are not growing to
            expectations, and the business strategy is constantly evolving.

            Zadi and I have every confidence that Next New Networks will be one of the media
            companies that is looked upon as thought leaders as well as brand builders. 100 million
            videos viewed in 9 months is pretty remarkable by any standard

            Steve