Next New Networks passes 100 million views in 9 months

  • Rupert Howe
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2008
      NNN includes shows like including EpicFu/Jetset, Indy Mogul,
      Veracifier and Josh Leo's new show Ultra Kawaii.
      Congratulations.

      Blog post here:
      http://blog.nextnewnetworks.com/index.php/2007/12/31/we-did-it-100-million-views-in-one-year/
      or
      http://tinyurl.com/2lsqks
    • Ron Watson
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2008
        http://www.technologyreview.com/printer_friendly_article.aspx?id=19845

        "You Don't Understand Our Audience"
        What I learned about network television at Dateline NBC.
        By John Hockenberry

        The most memorable reporting I've encountered on the conflict in Iraq
        was delivered in the form of confetti exploding out of a cardboard
        tube. I had just begun working at the MIT Media Lab in March 2006
        when Alyssa Wright, a lab student, got me to participate in a project
        called "Cherry Blossoms." I strapped on a backpack with a pair of
        vertical tubes sticking out of the top; they were connected to a
        detonation device linked to a Global Positioning System receiver. A
        microprocessor in the backpack contained a program that mapped the
        coördinates of the city of Baghdad onto those for the city of
        Cambridge; it also held a database of the locations of all the
        civilian deaths of 2005. If I went into a part of Cambridge that
        corresponded to a place in Iraq where civilians had died in a
        bombing, the detonator was triggered.

        When the backpack exploded on a clear, crisp afternoon at the Media
        Lab, handfuls of confetti shot out of the cardboard tubes into the
        air, then fell slowly to earth. On each streamer of paper was written
        the name of an Iraqi civilian casualty. I had reported on the war
        (although not from Baghdad) since 2003 and was aware of persistent
        controversy over the numbers of Iraqi civilian dead as reported by
        the U.S. government and by other sources. But it wasn't until the
        moment of this fake explosion that the scale and horrible suddenness
        of the slaughter in Baghdad became vivid and tangible to me. Alyssa
        described her project as an upgrade to traditional journalism. "The
        upgrade is empathy," she said, with the severe humility that comes
        when you suspect you are on to something but are still uncertain you
        aren't being ridiculous in some way.

        ----

        Networks are built on the assumption that audience size is what
        matters most. Content is secondary; it exists to attract passive
        viewers who will sit still for advertisements. For a while, that
        assumption served the industry well. But the TV news business has
        been blind to the revolution that made the viewer blink: the digital
        organization of communities that are anything but passive.
        Traditional market-driven media always attempt to treat devices,
        audiences, and content as bulk commodities, while users instead view
        all three as ways of creating and maintaining smaller-scale
        communities. As users acquire the means of producing and distributing
        content, the authority and profit potential of large traditional
        networks are directly challenged.

        ----

        Life at the Media Lab has reminded me once again that technology is
        most exciting when it upsets the status quo. Big-screen TVs and
        downloadable episodes of Late Night with Conan O'Brien are merely
        more attempts to control the means of distribution, something GE has
        been doing since the invention of the light bulb. But exploding GPS
        backpacks represent an alien mind-set; they are part of the growing
        media insurgency that is redefining news, journalism, and civic life.
        This technological insurgency shouldn't surprise us: after all, it's
        wrapped up in language itself, which has long defied any attempt to
        commodify it. Technology, as it has done through the ages, is freeing
        communication, and this is good news for the news. A little empathy
        couldn't hurt.
      • Steve Watkins
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2008
          Good for them :)

          I want to hear more about NNN and others on this list, if anybody has any insight. They
          must have avoided controversy so far, so we havent heard about them too much. I
          applauded them once or twice int he past for doing a few things better than the others in
          my opinion, such as trying to create strongly recognisable channels and consistent
          content, and perhaps showing some signs of knowing how to entertain an audience rather
          than be some weird failed web 2.0 disaster.

          I dont want to hear only about the bad side of companies, after somethings gone wrong
          and people are expressing their dissapointment in public. We have heard much of the
          failings of some. We know that some show creators are looking for the following sorts of
          things from a partner:

          Help with...
          Distribution
          Advertising
          Promotion
          Show development

          From whats been said so far, there are plenty of partners helping with the first two, but
          promotion and show development may not have received the same emphasis. So is there
          anybody who can report anything positive on that front, whether it be in relation to NNN
          or any other entity?

          Cheers

          Steve Elbows

          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Rupert Howe" <rupert@...> wrote:

          > NNN includes shows like including EpicFu/Jetset, Indy Mogul,
          > Veracifier and Josh Leo's new show Ultra Kawaii.
          > Congratulations.
          >
          > Blog post here:
          > http://blog.nextnewnetworks.com/index.php/2007/12/31/we-did-it-100-million-
          views-in-one-year/
          > or
          > http://tinyurl.com/2lsqks

        • Bill Cammack
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 2, 2008
            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Watkins" <steve@...> wrote:

            > Good for them :)
            >
            > I want to hear more about NNN and others on this list, if anybody
            has any insight. They
            > must have avoided controversy so far, so we havent heard about them
            too much.

            That's an interesting thing to think about a company... "they have
            avoided controversy"! hahahaha :D

            Their blog is <http://blog.nextnewnetworks.com/>. Lots of the things
            they've done, as well as the people they've hired are mentioned on
            their blog.

            I can't think of anything potentially controversial that they do,
            offhand. You pitch them a show, and if it looks good to them as far
            as fitting in with their business plan, they'll pick up your show. If
            it does well, fine. If not, it goes on hiatus. It seems to be a
            relatively simple operation.

            From what I've seen over the last year and a half on this group,
            companies become controversial when they get greedy... When they're
            perceived as USING people more than they're HELPING them. In the case
            of NNN, they give podcasters money for creating content, they aid with
            website creation and super-distribution and they look for advertising
            opportunities / sponsors for their shows. All that stuff falls under
            the "helping" category, which makes them currently "less
            controversial" than others. :)

            --
            Bill
            BillCammack.com

            > I applauded them once or twice int he past for doing a few things
            better than the others in
            > my opinion, such as trying to create strongly recognisable channels
            and consistent
            > content, and perhaps showing some signs of knowing how to entertain
            an audience rather
            > than be some weird failed web 2.0 disaster.
            >
            > I dont want to hear only about the bad side of companies, after
            somethings gone wrong
            > and people are expressing their dissapointment in public. We have
            heard much of the
            > failings of some. We know that some show creators are looking for
            the following sorts of
            > things from a partner:
            >
            > Help with...
            > Distribution
            > Advertising
            > Promotion
            > Show development
            >

            > From whats been said so far, there are plenty of partners helping
            with the first two, but
            > promotion and show development may not have received the same
            emphasis. So is there
            > anybody who can report anything positive on that front, whether it
            be in relation to NNN
            > or any other entity?
            >
            > Cheers
            >
            > Steve Elbows
            >
            > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Rupert Howe" <rupert@> wrote:
            > >
            > > NNN includes shows like including EpicFu/Jetset, Indy Mogul,
            > > Veracifier and Josh Leo's new show Ultra Kawaii.
            > > Congratulations.
            > >
            > > Blog post here:

            http://blog.nextnewnetworks.com/index.php/2007/12/31/we-did-it-100-million-
            > views-in-one-year/
            > > or
            > > http://tinyurl.com/2lsqks

          • Steve Watkins
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 2, 2008
              Cheers for the info. I didnt mean I wanted to hear controvertial things about them, or that
              I rate companies based on controversy, just that they havent been talked about in too
              much detail on this list because a lot of the discussions here about companies are when
              they do something wrong.

              So yeah I just want to hear more about the helping, and people's experiences, anything
              like that which hasnt been discussed a lot here already. It was only just over a year ago
              that there was a brief period here where it looked like some new partnerships/networks
              were gonna arrive that would be either about helping, or helping themselves. 2007 looked
              like an interesting year to progress (or sellout, depending on your perspective), but that all
              fizzled out before much came of it, so Im trying to go back and survey the reality of the
              slow march to progress, hopefully on a stable foundation, that has emerged over the
              years. I would guess that the level of delusions of grandeur and instant mega-millions in
              this field has now peaked, and those with the right mix of talent, hard work, luck & energy
              will march steadily on towards a fulfilling career in independent online video.

              Cheers

              Steve Elbows

              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Cammack" <billcammack@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > the following sorts of
              > > things from a partner:
              > >
              > > Help with...
              > > Distribution
              > > Advertising
              > > Promotion
              > > Show development
              > >

              > > From whats been said so far, there are plenty of partners helping
              > with the first two, but
              > > promotion and show development may not have received the same
              > emphasis. So is there
              > > anybody who can report anything positive on that front, whether it
              > be in relation to NNN
              > > or any other entity?
              > >
              > > Cheers
              > >
              > > Steve Elbows
              > >
              > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Rupert Howe" <rupert@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > NNN includes shows like including EpicFu/Jetset, Indy Mogul,
              > > > Veracifier and Josh Leo's new show Ultra Kawaii.

            • Steve Woolf
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 2, 2008
                We've worked with Next New Networks since the middle of March 2007 for JETSET/EPIC-
                FU as content creators that had an existing show. Most of NNN's stable consists of shows
                they created, own, or acquired, so our experience may be a bit different than someone
                who works with NNN full-time.

                The team they have assembled there is outstanding. At the top you have people with real
                experience building some of the strongest brands we have ever seen in media with entities
                like MTV, Nickelodeon, and the Sundance Channel. And then you have guys like Tim Shey
                who know the new media and online video world intimately. It's a great mix, and it is no
                accident that they are succeeding with their plans. The supporting team is extremely
                talented, with producer/editor teams that get shit done and an infrastructure of
                administrative and ad sales personnel that is fluid and responsive.

                Along the way we've found them to be completely respectful of our show and our wishes,
                and they have made efforts to find sponsors and products that work well with our
                audience. This month we'll be part of a promotion for the movie "Rambo" that will be
                crossing a number of their networks, and it seems like they are beginning to line up more
                and more sponsorship deals for shows.

                I know it sounds like I'm singing their praises to death here, but there's not a whole lot of
                negative stuff that we have encountered. I always recommend them as a choice for
                people with show ideas that fit the kinds of things they already have going.

                It's been a little complicated for us figuring out where EPIC-FU fits in the overall scheme
                of NNN, since they don't own our show and we are not technically a "network." So we've
                been working together to find the best way we can each feel secure moving forward, and
                also to find the best way to ensure that we are able to employ the same resources and
                promotion that their other shows enjoy. In this process of finding a creative working
                arrangement we've explored a number of options that each of us has put forth, and we've
                always found them to be considerate and respectful.

                They have also shown that they are willing to retool networks that are not growing to
                expectations, and the business strategy is constantly evolving.

                Zadi and I have every confidence that Next New Networks will be one of the media
                companies that is looked upon as thought leaders as well as brand builders. 100 million
                videos viewed in 9 months is pretty remarkable by any standard

                Steve