Re: This is gonna cause problems

  • bordercollieaustralianshepherd
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2008
      Jake - Steve

      Great link. Still big grey area as best I can tell. Most of the
      procumer cameras will have no problems. Making your own battery packs
      (if anyone here does) may require a new approach. A lot of Pro gear
      may not be a problem but I know first hand that confusion and over
      zealousness can and does happen. Nothing worse than arriving and
      learning your baggage is held in another state. THere are a lot of
      batteries that are 100Wh.

      Anyway, this is still new news and it will likely be a non issue in 4
      months, but if you are traveling and do not want to be delayed,
      keeping this information in mind (You will only get stopped after you
      r checked bags are long gone) so that you are not turning over your
      batteries if you thought you could carry on more than allowed.

      Video Production (News, industrial, commercial and corporate) may not
      be so easy a deal. Going through an X-Ray may flag the bag for
      inspection. If I were producing a shoot that was traveling ... I would
      for the next couple of months at least explore alternatives.

      Thanks for the link.

      Dave

      <http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=205206
      > > > 086>
      > > >
      > > > I was unable to find any exceptions, will keep looking. But holy
      > >
      > > First sentence of second paragraph:
      > >
      > > "Instead, passengers will be required to take loose batteries with
      them in
      > > carry-on baggage, packed in plastic bags."
      > >
      > > Which basically makes this a non event. :)
      > >
      > > Jake Ludington
      > >
      > > http://www.jakeludington.com

    • Jan McLaughlin
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 11, 2008
        A non-event unless you're traveling to shoot abroad with 200 lithium 9-volt
        batteries for your wireless microphones.

        That's some WEIGHT, yo.

        Plus, we often use NP batteries that are not only heavy but bulky.

        Ouch.

        It's a real event for documentary film makers and film production companies
        that travel.

        Yup.

        Jan

        On Jan 1, 2008 11:53 AM, Jake Ludington <jake@...> wrote:

        > > Lithium Batteries Banned From Checked Bags
        > > <http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=205206
        > > 086>
        > >
        > > I was unable to find any exceptions, will keep looking. But holy
        >
        > First sentence of second paragraph:
        >
        > "Instead, passengers will be required to take loose batteries with them in
        > carry-on baggage, packed in plastic bags."
        >
        > Which basically makes this a non event. :)
        >
        > Jake Ludington
        >
        > http://www.jakeludington.com

        The Faux Press - better than real
        http://feeds.feedburner.com/diaryofafauxjournalist - RSS