Re: [videoblogging] Re: Best Mac app for tweaking video sound

  • ryanne hodson
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2008
      a tool i love and use to boost the sound in lots of my RyanIsHungry videos
      is The Levelator:

      http://www.conversationsnetwork.org/levelator/

      i basically levels all your audio tracks to be the same
      so if some audio is low and some is high, it makes it all one
      and at the same time it boosts it all up.

      which sometimes is bad when some audio is really really low
      because it'll boost the room tone or surrounding ambient noise too.
      but it works great for what i need it for
      which is leveling people's voices over a period of time
      (most interviews start quiet, then the person gets passionate....)

      workflow is, you make an aiff file out of final cut audio (or garage band or
      audacity or where ever you're working)
      and throw it into levelator and then bring it back in to your sequence.

      thanks to eddie codel for pointing it out to me a few months back
      and thanks to doug kaye for building it!

      i love it.
      oh and it's free.

      On Dec 31, 2007 9:31 PM, Christopher Polack <ottorabbit@...> wrote:

      > > I tried bringing the sound file into GarageBand, but - for reasons
      > > that elude me - GarageBand sped the track up so that my actress
      > > sounded like a chipmunk. And I've not played with GB enough to figure
      > > out how to fix it.
      >
      > This will happen when the sample rate is changed. Odds are you're
      > using a Mini DV camera and the audio rate is set to 12bit by default.
      > Go into it's settings and set it to 16bit. In order for GB to play the
      > track, it converted the file to a higher rate and you get chipmonks.
      > I'm glad you found a work around.
      >
      > Topher

      Me ----> http://RyanEdit.com
      Twitter------>http://twitter.com/Ryanne
      Documenting Green ---->http://RyanIsHungry.com
      Educate ----> http://FreeVlog.org
      iChat/AIM ----> VideoRodeo

    • ponlover
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008
        Do you have Soundtrack? It is part of the Final Cut Studio. If not, find an Apple store and do
        it there.
        Sjs
        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <cjburdick@...> wrote:

        > I need to stifle some of the noise on this video I shot and boost the
        > vocal range... what app should I use?
        >
        > Cleaning up the noise isn't as huge a deal as just adding a little
        > "oomph" to my actress' voice. That's the real standout problem I'm facing.
        >
        > Chris

      • Chris
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 18, 2008
          Revisiting this old thread... Audacity saved my life today!

          After wrapping up a 19 episode/9 character shoot, I was tormented by
          the discovery that many of the scenes I shot with my lead actress were
          accompanied by a very annoying hum.

          Given that all these actors are working for free (for the time being),
          and given that my original location is no longer available, bringing
          my actress back for reshoots was pretty much out of the question.

          But the thought of all the other actors delivering crystal-clear
          monologues while my lead sounded like she was orating from inside a
          beehive was devastating. I want this to be an ongoing series, and if
          my main actress is unhappy with how she's presented, getting her to
          tape more episodes could be an iffy proposition.

          Enter Audacity!

          I was able to very easily "dehum" a short sample clip and leave my
          actress sounding like the delightfully gifted performer she is.

          Praise bejeezus!

          Anyway, belated thanks to you, Jan, and to those others who suggested
          Audacity...

          Chris

          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Jan McLaughlin"