RE: [videoblogging] This is gonna cause problems

  • Jake Ludington
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1 8:53 AM
      > Lithium Batteries Banned From Checked Bags
      > <http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=205206
      > 086>
      >
      > I was unable to find any exceptions, will keep looking. But holy

      First sentence of second paragraph:

      "Instead, passengers will be required to take loose batteries with them in
      carry-on baggage, packed in plastic bags."

      Which basically makes this a non event. :)

      Jake Ludington

      http://www.jakeludington.com
    • Steve Watkins
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1 9:03 AM
        Its not quite that simple. This article explains quite well and links to the FA rules:

        http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/62899

        So you can take lots of batteries as carry-on's, provided they are each below a certain
        capacity, and are packaged properly.

        This will be an inconvenience to some people. But as it is possible for lithium batteries to
        explode, I would not want the job of deciding what a reasonble balance between safety
        and convenience is.

        Cheers

        Steve Elbows

        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Jake Ludington" <jake@...> wrote:

        > > Lithium Batteries Banned From Checked Bags
        > > <http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=205206
        > > 086>
        > >
        > > I was unable to find any exceptions, will keep looking. But holy
        >
        > First sentence of second paragraph:
        >
        > "Instead, passengers will be required to take loose batteries with them in
        > carry-on baggage, packed in plastic bags."
        >
        > Which basically makes this a non event. :)
        >
        > Jake Ludington
        >
        > http://www.jakeludington.com

      • bordercollieaustralianshepherd
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1 9:51 AM
          Jake - Steve

          Great link. Still big grey area as best I can tell. Most of the
          procumer cameras will have no problems. Making your own battery packs
          (if anyone here does) may require a new approach. A lot of Pro gear
          may not be a problem but I know first hand that confusion and over
          zealousness can and does happen. Nothing worse than arriving and
          learning your baggage is held in another state. THere are a lot of
          batteries that are 100Wh.

          Anyway, this is still new news and it will likely be a non issue in 4
          months, but if you are traveling and do not want to be delayed,
          keeping this information in mind (You will only get stopped after you
          r checked bags are long gone) so that you are not turning over your
          batteries if you thought you could carry on more than allowed.

          Video Production (News, industrial, commercial and corporate) may not
          be so easy a deal. Going through an X-Ray may flag the bag for
          inspection. If I were producing a shoot that was traveling ... I would
          for the next couple of months at least explore alternatives.

          Thanks for the link.

          Dave

          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Watkins" <steve@...> wrote:

          > Its not quite that simple. This article explains quite well and
          links to the FA rules:

          > http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/62899
          >
          > So you can take lots of batteries as carry-on's, provided they are
          each below a certain
          > capacity, and are packaged properly.
          >
          > This will be an inconvenience to some people. But as it is possible
          for lithium batteries to
          > explode, I would not want the job of deciding what a reasonble
          balance between safety
          > and convenience is.
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Steve Elbows
          >
          > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Jake Ludington" <jake@> wrote:
          > >
          > > > Lithium Batteries Banned From Checked Bags

          <http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=205206
          > > > 086>
          > > >
          > > > I was unable to find any exceptions, will keep looking. But holy
          > >
          > > First sentence of second paragraph:
          > >
          > > "Instead, passengers will be required to take loose batteries with
          them in
          > > carry-on baggage, packed in plastic bags."
          > >
          > > Which basically makes this a non event. :)
          > >
          > > Jake Ludington
          > >
          > > http://www.jakeludington.com

        • Jan McLaughlin
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 11 8:00 AM
            A non-event unless you're traveling to shoot abroad with 200 lithium 9-volt
            batteries for your wireless microphones.

            That's some WEIGHT, yo.

            Plus, we often use NP batteries that are not only heavy but bulky.

            Ouch.

            It's a real event for documentary film makers and film production companies
            that travel.

            Yup.

            Jan

            On Jan 1, 2008 11:53 AM, Jake Ludington <jake@...> wrote:

            > > Lithium Batteries Banned From Checked Bags
            > > <http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=205206
            > > 086>
            > >
            > > I was unable to find any exceptions, will keep looking. But holy
            >
            > First sentence of second paragraph:
            >
            > "Instead, passengers will be required to take loose batteries with them in
            > carry-on baggage, packed in plastic bags."
            >
            > Which basically makes this a non event. :)
            >
            > Jake Ludington
            >
            > http://www.jakeludington.com

            The Faux Press - better than real
            http://feeds.feedburner.com/diaryofafauxjournalist - RSS