This is gonna cause problems

  • bordercollieaustralianshepherd
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2008
      At times I have done a little traveling ... the baggage rules and
      limits for carry on meant that we'd keep the cameras and exposed film
      or tape with us and everything else was checked. Having twenty or more
      batteries and chargers was not unusual.

      Lithium Batteries Banned From Checked Bags
      <http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=205206086>

      I was unable to find any exceptions, will keep looking. But holy
      schnikies ... the only alternative I can think of is to fed ex in
      advance with a leap frog approach. Need 20 batteries while traveling.
      Better have 40 and always ship 20 in advance of arrival. I can not
      remember one time a battery of mine caught fire and I have owned a lot
      of batteries.

      Wild stuff, reminds me of the NY film permit law ... not enough
      forethought.

      This may not be of interest to anyone else here, but good info to keep
      in mind when you travel by air.

      Happy New Year
    • Jake Ludington
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2008
        > Lithium Batteries Banned From Checked Bags
        > <http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=205206
        > 086>
        >
        > I was unable to find any exceptions, will keep looking. But holy

        First sentence of second paragraph:

        "Instead, passengers will be required to take loose batteries with them in
        carry-on baggage, packed in plastic bags."

        Which basically makes this a non event. :)

        Jake Ludington

        http://www.jakeludington.com
      • Steve Watkins
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2008
          Its not quite that simple. This article explains quite well and links to the FA rules:

          http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/62899

          So you can take lots of batteries as carry-on's, provided they are each below a certain
          capacity, and are packaged properly.

          This will be an inconvenience to some people. But as it is possible for lithium batteries to
          explode, I would not want the job of deciding what a reasonble balance between safety
          and convenience is.

          Cheers

          Steve Elbows

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 1, 2008
            Jake - Steve

            Great link. Still big grey area as best I can tell. Most of the
            procumer cameras will have no problems. Making your own battery packs
            (if anyone here does) may require a new approach. A lot of Pro gear
            may not be a problem but I know first hand that confusion and over
            zealousness can and does happen. Nothing worse than arriving and
            learning your baggage is held in another state. THere are a lot of
            batteries that are 100Wh.

            Anyway, this is still new news and it will likely be a non issue in 4
            months, but if you are traveling and do not want to be delayed,
            keeping this information in mind (You will only get stopped after you
            r checked bags are long gone) so that you are not turning over your
            batteries if you thought you could carry on more than allowed.

            Video Production (News, industrial, commercial and corporate) may not
            be so easy a deal. Going through an X-Ray may flag the bag for
            inspection. If I were producing a shoot that was traveling ... I would
            for the next couple of months at least explore alternatives.

            Thanks for the link.

            Dave

            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Watkins" <steve@...> wrote:

            > Its not quite that simple. This article explains quite well and
            links to the FA rules:

            > http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/62899
            >
            > So you can take lots of batteries as carry-on's, provided they are
            each below a certain
            > capacity, and are packaged properly.
            >
            > This will be an inconvenience to some people. But as it is possible
            for lithium batteries to
            > explode, I would not want the job of deciding what a reasonble
            balance between safety
            > and convenience is.
            >
            > Cheers
            >
            > Steve Elbows
            >
            > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Jake Ludington" <jake@> wrote:
            > >
            > > > Lithium Batteries Banned From Checked Bags

            <http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=205206
            > > > 086>
            > > >
            > > > I was unable to find any exceptions, will keep looking. But holy
            > >
            > > First sentence of second paragraph:
            > >
            > > "Instead, passengers will be required to take loose batteries with
            them in
            > > carry-on baggage, packed in plastic bags."
            > >
            > > Which basically makes this a non event. :)
            > >
            > > Jake Ludington
            > >
            > > http://www.jakeludington.com

          • Jan McLaughlin
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 11, 2008
              A non-event unless you're traveling to shoot abroad with 200 lithium 9-volt
              batteries for your wireless microphones.

              That's some WEIGHT, yo.

              Plus, we often use NP batteries that are not only heavy but bulky.

              Ouch.

              It's a real event for documentary film makers and film production companies
              that travel.

              Yup.

              Jan

              On Jan 1, 2008 11:53 AM, Jake Ludington <jake@...> wrote:

              > > Lithium Batteries Banned From Checked Bags
              > > <http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=205206
              > > 086>
              > >
              > > I was unable to find any exceptions, will keep looking. But holy
              >
              > First sentence of second paragraph:
              >
              > "Instead, passengers will be required to take loose batteries with them in
              > carry-on baggage, packed in plastic bags."
              >
              > Which basically makes this a non event. :)
              >
              > Jake Ludington
              >
              > http://www.jakeludington.com

              The Faux Press - better than real
              http://feeds.feedburner.com/diaryofafauxjournalist - RSS