Re: Best Mac app for tweaking video sound

  • Christopher Polack
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 31, 2007
      > I tried bringing the sound file into GarageBand, but - for reasons
      > that elude me - GarageBand sped the track up so that my actress
      > sounded like a chipmunk. And I've not played with GB enough to figure
      > out how to fix it.

      This will happen when the sample rate is changed. Odds are you're
      using a Mini DV camera and the audio rate is set to 12bit by default.
      Go into it's settings and set it to 16bit. In order for GB to play the
      track, it converted the file to a higher rate and you get chipmonks.
      I'm glad you found a work around.

      Topher

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2008
        > I need to stifle some of the noise on this video I shot and boost the
        > vocal range... what app should I use?
        > Cleaning up the noise isn't as huge a deal as just adding a little
        > "oomph" to my actress' voice. That's the real standout problem I'm facing.

        this probably isnt what you want...but I remind everyone how good the
        Levelator is for normalizing sound:
        http://www.conversationsnetwork.org/levelator/
        Free from Doug Kaye.

        "what is The Levelator? It's software that runs on Windows, OS X
        (universal binary), or Linux (Ubuntu) that adjusts the audio levels
        within your podcast or other audio file for variations from one
        speaker to the next, for example. It's not a compressor, normalizer or
        limiter although it contains all three. It's much more than those
        tools, and it's much simpler to use. The UI is dirt-simple:
        Drag-and-drop any WAV or AIFF file onto The Leveler's application
        window, and a few moments later you'll find a new version which just
        sounds better."

        http://jaydedman.com
        917 371 6790
        Professional: http://ryanishungry.com
        Personal: http://momentshowing.net
        Photos: http://flickr.com/photos/jaydedman/
        Twitter: http://twitter.com/jaydedman
        RSS: http://tinyurl.com/yqgdt9
      • ryanne hodson
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2008
          a tool i love and use to boost the sound in lots of my RyanIsHungry videos
          is The Levelator:

          http://www.conversationsnetwork.org/levelator/

          i basically levels all your audio tracks to be the same
          so if some audio is low and some is high, it makes it all one
          and at the same time it boosts it all up.

          which sometimes is bad when some audio is really really low
          because it'll boost the room tone or surrounding ambient noise too.
          but it works great for what i need it for
          which is leveling people's voices over a period of time
          (most interviews start quiet, then the person gets passionate....)

          workflow is, you make an aiff file out of final cut audio (or garage band or
          audacity or where ever you're working)
          and throw it into levelator and then bring it back in to your sequence.

          thanks to eddie codel for pointing it out to me a few months back
          and thanks to doug kaye for building it!

          i love it.
          oh and it's free.

          On Dec 31, 2007 9:31 PM, Christopher Polack <ottorabbit@...> wrote:

          > > I tried bringing the sound file into GarageBand, but - for reasons
          > > that elude me - GarageBand sped the track up so that my actress
          > > sounded like a chipmunk. And I've not played with GB enough to figure
          > > out how to fix it.
          >
          > This will happen when the sample rate is changed. Odds are you're
          > using a Mini DV camera and the audio rate is set to 12bit by default.
          > Go into it's settings and set it to 16bit. In order for GB to play the
          > track, it converted the file to a higher rate and you get chipmonks.
          > I'm glad you found a work around.
          >
          > Topher

          Me ----> http://RyanEdit.com
          Twitter------>http://twitter.com/Ryanne
          Documenting Green ---->http://RyanIsHungry.com
          Educate ----> http://FreeVlog.org
          iChat/AIM ----> VideoRodeo

        • ponlover
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008
            Do you have Soundtrack? It is part of the Final Cut Studio. If not, find an Apple store and do
            it there.
            Sjs
            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <cjburdick@...> wrote:

            > I need to stifle some of the noise on this video I shot and boost the
            > vocal range... what app should I use?
            >
            > Cleaning up the noise isn't as huge a deal as just adding a little
            > "oomph" to my actress' voice. That's the real standout problem I'm facing.
            >
            > Chris

          • Chris
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 18, 2008
              Revisiting this old thread... Audacity saved my life today!

              After wrapping up a 19 episode/9 character shoot, I was tormented by
              the discovery that many of the scenes I shot with my lead actress were
              accompanied by a very annoying hum.

              Given that all these actors are working for free (for the time being),
              and given that my original location is no longer available, bringing
              my actress back for reshoots was pretty much out of the question.

              But the thought of all the other actors delivering crystal-clear
              monologues while my lead sounded like she was orating from inside a
              beehive was devastating. I want this to be an ongoing series, and if
              my main actress is unhappy with how she's presented, getting her to
              tape more episodes could be an iffy proposition.

              Enter Audacity!

              I was able to very easily "dehum" a short sample clip and leave my
              actress sounding like the delightfully gifted performer she is.

              Praise bejeezus!

              Anyway, belated thanks to you, Jan, and to those others who suggested
              Audacity...

              Chris

              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Jan McLaughlin"