Best Mac app for tweaking video sound

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 29, 2007
      I need to stifle some of the noise on this video I shot and boost the
      vocal range... what app should I use?

      Cleaning up the noise isn't as huge a deal as just adding a little
      "oomph" to my actress' voice. That's the real standout problem I'm facing.

      Chris
    • Jan McLaughlin
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 29, 2007
        You got Final Cut? There are some pretty decent equalizers in that.

        Audacity has some fair EQ as well. Free.

        Jan

        On Dec 29, 2007 2:56 PM, Chris <cjburdick@...> wrote:

        > I need to stifle some of the noise on this video I shot and boost the
        > vocal range... what app should I use?
        >
        > Cleaning up the noise isn't as huge a deal as just adding a little
        > "oomph" to my actress' voice. That's the real standout problem I'm facing.
        >
        > Chris

        The Faux Press - better than real
        http://feeds.feedburner.com/diaryofafauxjournalist - RSS
        http://fauxpress.blogspot.com
        aim=janofsound
        air=862.571.5334
        skype=janmclaughlin

      • Chris
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 29, 2007
          Unfortunately, I don't have Final Cut right now... at least, not a
          version that works with OS 10.3.9.

          I suppose I'll just have to bite the bullet and at long last upgrade
          my OS, but my wallet needs to recover from the holidays first.

          Chris

          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Jan McLaughlin"
          <jannie.jan@...> wrote:

          > You got Final Cut? There are some pretty decent equalizers in that.
          >
          > Audacity has some fair EQ as well. Free.
          >
          > Jan
        • Christopher Polack
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 30, 2007
            There's also Sound Soap from Bias Inc.

            http://www.bias-inc.com/products/

            It will set you back $99 but it has tools for learning noises and then eliminating that noise.

            If you're editing in iMovie 06 or 08 you have some decent controls there. You can also bring
            the exported video into GarageBand. The Speech Enhancer effect works great.
          • Chris
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 30, 2007
              I tried bringing the sound file into GarageBand, but - for reasons
              that elude me - GarageBand sped the track up so that my actress
              sounded like a chipmunk. And I've not played with GB enough to figure
              out how to fix it.

              Anyway, I ended up taking the dumb guy approach... part of what made
              my actress sound so soft was that we cut right from her to loud music
              over the closing credits. So I just lowered the volume of the music.

              Curiously enough, it did the trick. Even though the dialogue and the
              music didn't overlap, the juxtaposition was jarring.

              Chris

              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Polack"
              <ottorabbit@...> wrote:

              > There's also Sound Soap from Bias Inc.
              >
              > http://www.bias-inc.com/products/
              >
              > It will set you back $99 but it has tools for learning noises and
              then eliminating that noise.

              > If you're editing in iMovie 06 or 08 you have some decent controls
              there. You can also bring
              > the exported video into GarageBand. The Speech Enhancer effect works
              great.

            • Christopher Polack
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 31, 2007
                > I tried bringing the sound file into GarageBand, but - for reasons
                > that elude me - GarageBand sped the track up so that my actress
                > sounded like a chipmunk. And I've not played with GB enough to figure
                > out how to fix it.

                This will happen when the sample rate is changed. Odds are you're
                using a Mini DV camera and the audio rate is set to 12bit by default.
                Go into it's settings and set it to 16bit. In order for GB to play the
                track, it converted the file to a higher rate and you get chipmonks.
                I'm glad you found a work around.

                Topher

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 1, 2008
                  > I need to stifle some of the noise on this video I shot and boost the
                  > vocal range... what app should I use?
                  > Cleaning up the noise isn't as huge a deal as just adding a little
                  > "oomph" to my actress' voice. That's the real standout problem I'm facing.

                  this probably isnt what you want...but I remind everyone how good the
                  Levelator is for normalizing sound:
                  http://www.conversationsnetwork.org/levelator/
                  Free from Doug Kaye.

                  "what is The Levelator? It's software that runs on Windows, OS X
                  (universal binary), or Linux (Ubuntu) that adjusts the audio levels
                  within your podcast or other audio file for variations from one
                  speaker to the next, for example. It's not a compressor, normalizer or
                  limiter although it contains all three. It's much more than those
                  tools, and it's much simpler to use. The UI is dirt-simple:
                  Drag-and-drop any WAV or AIFF file onto The Leveler's application
                  window, and a few moments later you'll find a new version which just
                  sounds better."

                  http://jaydedman.com
                  917 371 6790
                  Professional: http://ryanishungry.com
                  Personal: http://momentshowing.net
                  Photos: http://flickr.com/photos/jaydedman/
                  Twitter: http://twitter.com/jaydedman
                  RSS: http://tinyurl.com/yqgdt9
                • ryanne hodson
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 1, 2008
                    a tool i love and use to boost the sound in lots of my RyanIsHungry videos
                    is The Levelator:

                    http://www.conversationsnetwork.org/levelator/

                    i basically levels all your audio tracks to be the same
                    so if some audio is low and some is high, it makes it all one
                    and at the same time it boosts it all up.

                    which sometimes is bad when some audio is really really low
                    because it'll boost the room tone or surrounding ambient noise too.
                    but it works great for what i need it for
                    which is leveling people's voices over a period of time
                    (most interviews start quiet, then the person gets passionate....)

                    workflow is, you make an aiff file out of final cut audio (or garage band or
                    audacity or where ever you're working)
                    and throw it into levelator and then bring it back in to your sequence.

                    thanks to eddie codel for pointing it out to me a few months back
                    and thanks to doug kaye for building it!

                    i love it.
                    oh and it's free.

                    On Dec 31, 2007 9:31 PM, Christopher Polack <ottorabbit@...> wrote:

                    > > I tried bringing the sound file into GarageBand, but - for reasons
                    > > that elude me - GarageBand sped the track up so that my actress
                    > > sounded like a chipmunk. And I've not played with GB enough to figure
                    > > out how to fix it.
                    >
                    > This will happen when the sample rate is changed. Odds are you're
                    > using a Mini DV camera and the audio rate is set to 12bit by default.
                    > Go into it's settings and set it to 16bit. In order for GB to play the
                    > track, it converted the file to a higher rate and you get chipmonks.
                    > I'm glad you found a work around.
                    >
                    > Topher

                    Me ----> http://RyanEdit.com
                    Twitter------>http://twitter.com/Ryanne
                    Documenting Green ---->http://RyanIsHungry.com
                    Educate ----> http://FreeVlog.org
                    iChat/AIM ----> VideoRodeo

                  • ponlover
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008
                      Do you have Soundtrack? It is part of the Final Cut Studio. If not, find an Apple store and do
                      it there.
                      Sjs
                      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <cjburdick@...> wrote:

                      > I need to stifle some of the noise on this video I shot and boost the
                      > vocal range... what app should I use?
                      >
                      > Cleaning up the noise isn't as huge a deal as just adding a little
                      > "oomph" to my actress' voice. That's the real standout problem I'm facing.
                      >
                      > Chris

                    • Chris
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 18, 2008
                        Revisiting this old thread... Audacity saved my life today!

                        After wrapping up a 19 episode/9 character shoot, I was tormented by
                        the discovery that many of the scenes I shot with my lead actress were
                        accompanied by a very annoying hum.

                        Given that all these actors are working for free (for the time being),
                        and given that my original location is no longer available, bringing
                        my actress back for reshoots was pretty much out of the question.

                        But the thought of all the other actors delivering crystal-clear
                        monologues while my lead sounded like she was orating from inside a
                        beehive was devastating. I want this to be an ongoing series, and if
                        my main actress is unhappy with how she's presented, getting her to
                        tape more episodes could be an iffy proposition.

                        Enter Audacity!

                        I was able to very easily "dehum" a short sample clip and leave my
                        actress sounding like the delightfully gifted performer she is.

                        Praise bejeezus!

                        Anyway, belated thanks to you, Jan, and to those others who suggested
                        Audacity...