Smartphones and First Video Posting

  • Julian Doncaster (Yahoo1)
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26, 2005
      I've been looking for instances of people listening to videoblogs or vodcasts on mobile phones, or delivering them to mobiles..

      Has anyone started doing that yet?

      A little digging around reveals that several file formats are possibilities:

      1 Normal WMP formats on phones running Windows Mobile.
      2 A proprietary format with special readers (for current and older phones) such as Mobiclip.
      3 Potentially Flash-lite on some phones.
      4 The 3g video format (can be exported directly from Final Cut Pro).

      1 and 4 look to be the promising options, with 2 for some older phones. Comments and corrections would be most welcome, as I am a neophyte at this.

      On a different note, I completed my first personal video short on an editting course yesterday. It was in a university video-suite, so I was sent away with a broadcast-quality DV-PAL format file measuring 556Mb for 2:34 minutes. I've managed to extract it to a reasonable size and posted the entry here:

      The short is a promotion for a project I am considering to blog our upcoming general election. Comments are very welcome - especially on the encoding quality I have used. My image-processing computer suddenly feels smaller than it was yesterday!

      Rgds

      Julian