Re: [videoblogging] USB Microphone Preamp (24-Bit/96kHz) with 48V Phantom Power for Mac OS X and Windows XP/Vista

  • David King
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2007
      Hmm.. that's true - it's basically a fancy volume knob. Cool idea!

      David

      On Dec 2, 2007 5:05 AM, Jan McLaughlin <jannie.jan@...> wrote:

      > <
      >
      > http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/519287-REG/CEntrance_Inc__CE1801_MicPort_Pro_USB_Microphone.html
      > >

      > "CEntrance Inc. MicPort Pro - Compact USB Microphone Preamp (24-Bit/96kHz)
      > with 48V Phantom Power for Mac OS X and Windows XP/Vista"
      >
      > This seems like a pretty cool device for those of us who have or want to
      > use
      > condenser mics that require 48V power.
      >
      > While it is designed to be used between the condenser mic and a computer,
      > based on my reading of its specs, you could use this to interface a pro
      > condenser mic with your video camera, and obviate the need to put a more
      > expensive mixer in the signal chain in order to power the mic.
      >
      > Sweet.
      >
      > Jan
      >
      > --
      > The Faux Press - better than real
      > http://feeds.feedburner.com/diaryofafauxjournalist - RSS
      > http://fauxpress.blogspot.com
      > http://wburg.tv
      > aim=janofsound
      > air=862.571.5334
      > skype=janmclaughlin

      David King
      davidleeking.com - blog
      http://davidleeking.com/etc - videoblog

    • Frank Carver
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2007
        Sunday, December 2, 2007, 12:56:36 PM, David King wrote:
        > Hmm.. that's true - it's basically a fancy volume knob. Cool idea!

        > On Dec 2, 2007 5:05 AM, Jan McLaughlin <jannie.jan@...> wrote:
        >> "CEntrance Inc. MicPort Pro - Compact USB Microphone Preamp (24-Bit/96kHz)
        >> with 48V Phantom Power for Mac OS X and Windows XP/Vista"
        >>
        >> This seems like a pretty cool device for those of us who have or want to
        >> use
        >> condenser mics that require 48V power.
        >>
        >> While it is designed to be used between the condenser mic and a computer,
        >> based on my reading of its specs, you could use this to interface a pro
        >> condenser mic with your video camera, and obviate the need to put a more
        >> expensive mixer in the signal chain in order to power the mic.

        Maybe I'm mistaken, but this doesn't look at all suitable for
        on-camera use (unless you have a camera with a powered USB input -
        something I have never encountered myself).

        Essentially this device seems to be a standard USB bus-powered preamp,
        just in a cylindrical casing with an XLR on the end. The giveaway is
        that the phantom power must come from somewhere, and this device has
        no battery.

        --
        Frank Carver http://www.makevideo.org.uk
      • Jan McLaughlin
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2007
          Ah - yes - the USB powering. Shite.

          Good catch :)

          The interface would work with cable tho - it does have a mini stereo out and
          cable.

          Jan

          On 12/2/07, Frank Carver <frank@...> wrote:

          > Sunday, December 2, 2007, 12:56:36 PM, David King wrote:
          > > Hmm.. that's true - it's basically a fancy volume knob. Cool idea!
          >
          > > On Dec 2, 2007 5:05 AM, Jan McLaughlin <jannie.jan@...> wrote:
          > >> "CEntrance Inc. MicPort Pro - Compact USB Microphone Preamp
          > (24-Bit/96kHz)
          > >> with 48V Phantom Power for Mac OS X and Windows XP/Vista"
          > >>
          > >> This seems like a pretty cool device for those of us who have or want
          > >> use
          > >> condenser mics that require 48V power.
          > >>
          > >> While it is designed to be used between the condenser mic and a
          > computer,
          > >> based on my reading of its specs, you could use this to interface a pro
          > >> condenser mic with your video camera, and obviate the need to put a
          > more
          > >> expensive mixer in the signal chain in order to power the mic.
          >
          > Maybe I'm mistaken, but this doesn't look at all suitable for
          > on-camera use (unless you have a camera with a powered USB input -
          > something I have never encountered myself).
          >
          > Essentially this device seems to be a standard USB bus-powered preamp,
          > just in a cylindrical casing with an XLR on the end. The giveaway is
          > that the phantom power must come from somewhere, and this device has
          > no battery.
          >
          > --
          > Frank Carver http://www.makevideo.org.uk

          The Faux Press - better than real
          http://feeds.feedburner.com/diaryofafauxjournalist - RSS
          http://fauxpress.blogspot.com
          http://wburg.tv
          aim=janofsound
          air=862.571.5334
          skype=janmclaughlin

        • Steve Watkins
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 2, 2007
            Well you could use a battery with USB adaptor such as this one:

            http://www.amazon.com/APC-PNOTEBX-USB-Battery-Extender/dp/B000AV4NDE

            Not sure if that destroys any price advantage compared to alternative solutions.
            \
            I suppose someone would also need to double-check that the headphone jack does work
            even if the device isnt plugged into a computer, jsut in case theres some quirk in that part
            of the design.

            Cheers

            Steve Elbows

            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Jan McLaughlin" <jannie.jan@...> wrote:

            > Ah - yes - the USB powering. Shite.
            >
            > Good catch :)
            >
            > The interface would work with cable tho - it does have a mini stereo out and
            > cable.
            >
            > Jan
            >
            > On 12/2/07, Frank Carver <frank@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Sunday, December 2, 2007, 12:56:36 PM, David King wrote:
            > > > Hmm.. that's true - it's basically a fancy volume knob. Cool idea!

            > > (24-Bit/96kHz)

            > > computer,
            > > more
            > >
            > > Maybe I'm mistaken, but this doesn't look at all suitable for
            > > on-camera use (unless you have a camera with a powered USB input -
            > > something I have never encountered myself).
            > >
            > > Essentially this device seems to be a standard USB bus-powered preamp,
            > > just in a cylindrical casing with an XLR on the end. The giveaway is
            > > that the phantom power must come from somewhere, and this device has
            > > no battery.
            > >
            > > --
            > > Frank Carver http://www.makevideo.org.uk

            > The Faux Press - better than real
            > http://feeds.feedburner.com/diaryofafauxjournalist - RSS
            > http://fauxpress.blogspot.com
            > http://wburg.tv
            > aim=janofsound
            > air=862.571.5334
            > skype=janmclaughlin

          • Brian Richardson - WhatTheCast?
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 2, 2007
              My solution is a bit more expensive, but solves multiple problems ... a
              wireless microphone kit with an adapter to any XLR mic. The Azden kit's
              XLR adapter will phantom power any single microphone.

              I own a wireless mic set because I need one, the phantom power is a
              bonus. It's more expensive than just using a mixer into the camera, but
              it's a lot easier to use in the field and is 100% battery powered.

              Jan McLaughlin wrote:
              > Ah - yes - the USB powering. Shite.
              >
              > Good catch :)
              >
              > The interface would work with cable tho - it does have a mini stereo out and
              > cable.
              >
              > Jan
              >
              > On 12/2/07, Frank Carver <frank@...> wrote:
              >> Sunday, December 2, 2007, 12:56:36 PM, David King wrote:
              >>> Hmm.. that's true - it's basically a fancy volume knob. Cool idea!
              >> (24-Bit/96kHz)

              >> computer,
              >> more
              >> Maybe I'm mistaken, but this doesn't look at all suitable for
              >> on-camera use (unless you have a camera with a powered USB input -
              >> something I have never encountered myself).
              >>
              >> Essentially this device seems to be a standard USB bus-powered preamp,
              >> just in a cylindrical casing with an XLR on the end. The giveaway is
              >> that the phantom power must come from somewhere, and this device has
              >> no battery.
              >>
              >> --
              >> Frank Carver http://www.makevideo.org.uk

              Brian Richardson