USB Microphone Preamp (24-Bit/96kHz) with 48V Phantom Power for Mac OS X and Windows XP/Vista

  • Jan McLaughlin
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2007
      <
      http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/519287-REG/CEntrance_Inc__CE1801_MicPort_Pro_USB_Microphone.html

      "CEntrance Inc. MicPort Pro - Compact USB Microphone Preamp (24-Bit/96kHz)
      with 48V Phantom Power for Mac OS X and Windows XP/Vista"

      This seems like a pretty cool device for those of us who have or want to use
      condenser mics that require 48V power.

      While it is designed to be used between the condenser mic and a computer,
      based on my reading of its specs, you could use this to interface a pro
      condenser mic with your video camera, and obviate the need to put a more
      expensive mixer in the signal chain in order to power the mic.

      Sweet.

      Jan

      --
      The Faux Press - better than real
      http://feeds.feedburner.com/diaryofafauxjournalist - RSS

    • David King
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2007
        Hmm.. that's true - it's basically a fancy volume knob. Cool idea!

        David

        On Dec 2, 2007 5:05 AM, Jan McLaughlin <jannie.jan@...> wrote:

        > <
        >
        > http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/519287-REG/CEntrance_Inc__CE1801_MicPort_Pro_USB_Microphone.html
        > >

        > "CEntrance Inc. MicPort Pro - Compact USB Microphone Preamp (24-Bit/96kHz)
        > with 48V Phantom Power for Mac OS X and Windows XP/Vista"
        >
        > This seems like a pretty cool device for those of us who have or want to
        > use
        > condenser mics that require 48V power.
        >
        > While it is designed to be used between the condenser mic and a computer,
        > based on my reading of its specs, you could use this to interface a pro
        > condenser mic with your video camera, and obviate the need to put a more
        > expensive mixer in the signal chain in order to power the mic.
        >
        > Sweet.
        >
        > Jan
        >
        > --
        > The Faux Press - better than real
        > http://feeds.feedburner.com/diaryofafauxjournalist - RSS
        > http://fauxpress.blogspot.com
        > http://wburg.tv
        > aim=janofsound
        > air=862.571.5334
        > skype=janmclaughlin

        David King
        davidleeking.com - blog
        http://davidleeking.com/etc - videoblog

      • Frank Carver
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2007
          Sunday, December 2, 2007, 12:56:36 PM, David King wrote:
          > Hmm.. that's true - it's basically a fancy volume knob. Cool idea!

          > On Dec 2, 2007 5:05 AM, Jan McLaughlin <jannie.jan@...> wrote:
          >> "CEntrance Inc. MicPort Pro - Compact USB Microphone Preamp (24-Bit/96kHz)
          >> with 48V Phantom Power for Mac OS X and Windows XP/Vista"
          >>
          >> This seems like a pretty cool device for those of us who have or want to
          >> use
          >> condenser mics that require 48V power.
          >>
          >> While it is designed to be used between the condenser mic and a computer,
          >> based on my reading of its specs, you could use this to interface a pro
          >> condenser mic with your video camera, and obviate the need to put a more
          >> expensive mixer in the signal chain in order to power the mic.

          Maybe I'm mistaken, but this doesn't look at all suitable for
          on-camera use (unless you have a camera with a powered USB input -
          something I have never encountered myself).

          Essentially this device seems to be a standard USB bus-powered preamp,
          just in a cylindrical casing with an XLR on the end. The giveaway is
          that the phantom power must come from somewhere, and this device has
          no battery.

          --
          Frank Carver http://www.makevideo.org.uk
        • Jan McLaughlin
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 2, 2007
            Ah - yes - the USB powering. Shite.

            Good catch :)

            The interface would work with cable tho - it does have a mini stereo out and
            cable.

            Jan

            On 12/2/07, Frank Carver <frank@...> wrote:

            > Sunday, December 2, 2007, 12:56:36 PM, David King wrote:
            > > Hmm.. that's true - it's basically a fancy volume knob. Cool idea!
            >
            > > On Dec 2, 2007 5:05 AM, Jan McLaughlin <jannie.jan@...> wrote:
            > >> "CEntrance Inc. MicPort Pro - Compact USB Microphone Preamp
            > (24-Bit/96kHz)
            > >> with 48V Phantom Power for Mac OS X and Windows XP/Vista"
            > >>
            > >> This seems like a pretty cool device for those of us who have or want
            > >> use
            > >> condenser mics that require 48V power.
            > >>
            > >> While it is designed to be used between the condenser mic and a
            > computer,
            > >> based on my reading of its specs, you could use this to interface a pro
            > >> condenser mic with your video camera, and obviate the need to put a
            > more
            > >> expensive mixer in the signal chain in order to power the mic.
            >
            > Maybe I'm mistaken, but this doesn't look at all suitable for
            > on-camera use (unless you have a camera with a powered USB input -
            > something I have never encountered myself).
            >
            > Essentially this device seems to be a standard USB bus-powered preamp,
            > just in a cylindrical casing with an XLR on the end. The giveaway is
            > that the phantom power must come from somewhere, and this device has
            > no battery.
            >
            > --
            > Frank Carver http://www.makevideo.org.uk

            The Faux Press - better than real
            http://feeds.feedburner.com/diaryofafauxjournalist - RSS
            http://fauxpress.blogspot.com
            http://wburg.tv
            aim=janofsound
            air=862.571.5334
            skype=janmclaughlin

          • Steve Watkins
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 2, 2007
              Well you could use a battery with USB adaptor such as this one:

              http://www.amazon.com/APC-PNOTEBX-USB-Battery-Extender/dp/B000AV4NDE

              Not sure if that destroys any price advantage compared to alternative solutions.
              \
              I suppose someone would also need to double-check that the headphone jack does work
              even if the device isnt plugged into a computer, jsut in case theres some quirk in that part
              of the design.

              Cheers

              Steve Elbows

              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Jan McLaughlin" <jannie.jan@...> wrote:

              > Ah - yes - the USB powering. Shite.
              >
              > Good catch :)
              >
              > The interface would work with cable tho - it does have a mini stereo out and
              > cable.
              >
              > Jan
              >
              > On 12/2/07, Frank Carver <frank@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Sunday, December 2, 2007, 12:56:36 PM, David King wrote:
              > > > Hmm.. that's true - it's basically a fancy volume knob. Cool idea!

              > > (24-Bit/96kHz)

              > > computer,
              > > more
              > >
              > > Maybe I'm mistaken, but this doesn't look at all suitable for
              > > on-camera use (unless you have a camera with a powered USB input -
              > > something I have never encountered myself).
              > >
              > > Essentially this device seems to be a standard USB bus-powered preamp,
              > > just in a cylindrical casing with an XLR on the end. The giveaway is
              > > that the phantom power must come from somewhere, and this device has
              > > no battery.
              > >
              > > --
              > > Frank Carver http://www.makevideo.org.uk

              > The Faux Press - better than real
              > http://feeds.feedburner.com/diaryofafauxjournalist - RSS
              > http://fauxpress.blogspot.com
              > http://wburg.tv
              > aim=janofsound
              > air=862.571.5334
              > skype=janmclaughlin

            • Brian Richardson - WhatTheCast?
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 2, 2007
                My solution is a bit more expensive, but solves multiple problems ... a
                wireless microphone kit with an adapter to any XLR mic. The Azden kit's
                XLR adapter will phantom power any single microphone.

                I own a wireless mic set because I need one, the phantom power is a
                bonus. It's more expensive than just using a mixer into the camera, but
                it's a lot easier to use in the field and is 100% battery powered.

                Jan McLaughlin wrote:
                > Ah - yes - the USB powering. Shite.
                >
                > Good catch :)
                >
                > The interface would work with cable tho - it does have a mini stereo out and
                > cable.
                >
                > Jan
                >
                > On 12/2/07, Frank Carver <frank@...> wrote:
                >> Sunday, December 2, 2007, 12:56:36 PM, David King wrote:
                >>> Hmm.. that's true - it's basically a fancy volume knob. Cool idea!
                >> (24-Bit/96kHz)

                >> computer,
                >> more
                >> Maybe I'm mistaken, but this doesn't look at all suitable for
                >> on-camera use (unless you have a camera with a powered USB input -
                >> something I have never encountered myself).
                >>
                >> Essentially this device seems to be a standard USB bus-powered preamp,
                >> just in a cylindrical casing with an XLR on the end. The giveaway is
                >> that the phantom power must come from somewhere, and this device has
                >> no battery.
                >>
                >> --
                >> Frank Carver http://www.makevideo.org.uk

                Brian Richardson