finding the codec/bitrate of an FLV

  • Adam Quirk
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 27, 2007
      Hello all,

      Does anyone know how to find out the bitrate, codec, meta data from this
      particular video:
      http://creativity-online.com/work/view?seed=0e42ba90

      With Youtube and Blip, you can just download the FLV and examine it, but
      this one is tricky because the .flv is called by this PHP script:
      http://creativity-online.com/work/player/viral_player.php?seed=0e42ba90

      Just curious because it looks very clean and sharp.

      --
      Adam Quirk
      Wreck & Salvage

    • Steve Watkins
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 28, 2007
        Hello,

        Sorenson H.263, 480x270, 15 fps, 1157.66 kbits/sec. (duration 1.06,
        filesize 8.43MB)

        I used firebug in firefox to determine flv url

        Cheers

        Steve Elbows

        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Quirk" <quirk@...> wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > Does anyone know how to find out the bitrate, codec, meta data from this
        > particular video:
        > http://creativity-online.com/work/view?seed=0e42ba90
        >
        > With Youtube and Blip, you can just download the FLV and examine it, but
        > this one is tricky because the .flv is called by this PHP script:
        > http://creativity-online.com/work/player/viral_player.php?seed=0e42ba90
        >
        > Just curious because it looks very clean and sharp.
        >
        > --
        > Adam Quirk
        > Wreck & Salvage
        > 551.208.4644
        > Brooklyn, NY
        > http://wreckandsalvage.com

      • Stan Hirson, Sarah Jones
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2007
          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Watkins" <steve@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > Sorenson H.263, 480x270, 15 fps, 1157.66 kbits/sec. (duration 1.06,
          > filesize 8.43MB)
          >
          > I used firebug in firefox to determine flv url
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Steve Elbows
          >
          > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Quirk" <quirk@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello all,
          > >
          > > Does anyone know how to find out the bitrate, codec, meta data
          from this
          > > particular video:
          > > http://creativity-online.com/work/view?seed=0e42ba90
          > >
          > > With Youtube and Blip, you can just download the FLV and examine
          it, but
          > > this one is tricky because the .flv is called by this PHP script:

          http://creativity-online.com/work/player/viral_player.php?seed=0e42ba90

          > > Just curious because it looks very clean and sharp.

          This would be so great! I often wonder what the intended bitrate of
          certain Flash videos is, but I do not undertand how you do this
          with Firebug (which I have). What do you do once you have the url of the
          video? How do you get the settings? Steve, could you please be more
          specific? It would be very helpful to me to know what the compression
          setting for the flv bitrate is rather than the baud rate of the download.

          Thanks!

          Stan Hirson
          http://hestakaup.com
        • Steve Watkins
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 2, 2007
            Sorry for the lack of clarity.

            I uonly used firebug to find the url. Bitrate was determined by installing the free software
            'perian' ( http://perian.org/ ) which then allows flv's to be opened in quicktime, and thus
            look at bitrate & codec info using quicktime movie inspector window. Unfortunately Perian
            is for mac only, and its also possible that the bitrate being reported isnt totally accurate
            (eg may be bitrate at one moment in time, rather than average bitrate across whole of
            movie, not sure).

            Cheers

            Steve Elbows