Re: Smart videobloggers- look here!!

  • bestdamntechshow
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 2, 2007
      I think checking out the show would be the way to go before bashing it
      in public. It's just called "The Smart Show", they weren't saying
      anything derogatory.

      It's actually a cool show in my opinion.

      _drew

      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "David Meade" <meade.dave@...>
      wrote:

      > I dunno. Messages like "Hey check out our new project! For more info
      > check the url below" seems to be pretty standard for this group. I
      > don't see how this is any more self-serving than others.
      >
      > Are they advertising their show? Yes, but so what? Haven't we've come
      > to a general understanding that notices of new shows are agreeable
      > here (while notices of every new episode are not)? Have they got a
      > commercial spin/sponsor? Yes, but so what? I think wee passed up the
      > "its got a commercial sponsor and therefore is evil" stage quite a
      > while ago.
      >
      > I've watched a few of this show and really liked it so far.
      >
      > So they have a clever name on a clever topic that ends up calling
      > themselves smart ... so what ... its not like they called it the
      > "yourdumb" show.
      >
      > Rereading the original post the only thing I'm seeing is: "Hey we've
      > got a new show, here's the general theme, you can participate in the
      > conversation, and for more info see the referenced url" ...
      >
      > - Dave
      >
      > On 11/2/07, Jeffrey Taylor <thejeffreytaylor@...> wrote:
      > > I'm really, honestly and truly not trying to be a shit, Kathryn.
      > >
      > > Having a cohesive, strong and viable community is one thing, but
      tolerating
      > > the same old self-serving, canned sales pitches are quite another.
      > >
      > > Not to put too fine a point on it, but pitching for us to be part
      of "America's
      > > smartest web show" without providing enough context is poor
      marketing (and I
      > > am a marketer by trade) and unskilled conversation.
      > >

      > > On 02/11/2007, synchronistv <kjonesjones@...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I'm totally confused... why was this totally self-absorbed?
      The writer
      > > > didn't say their show
      > > > was "smarter" than other web shows, they said that their show
      profiled
      > > > smart ideas across
      > > > the country... sounds like a great idea to me...
      > > >
      > > > how can we build a cohesive, strong and viable community if we
      flame one
      > > > another at the
      > > > drop of a hat?
      > > >
      > > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com
      <videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com>,

      > > > seriously

      > > Jeffrey Taylor
      > > Mobile: +33625497654
      > > Skype: thejeffreytaylor
      > > Googlechat/Jabber: thejeffreytaylor@...
      > > http://twitter.com/jeffreytaylor

      > http://www.DavidMeade.com

    • bordercollieaustralianshepherd
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 2, 2007
        Congrats on getting Holiday Inn interested/backing your idea/web site.
        Would like to know more of how you pitched it, what kind of back and
        forth you may have had to do before nailing down a "Go For It" ....
        and would really like to know other details that would be labeled
        "None of your Business" ... curiosity ... but will never ask specifics.

        America's Smartest Web Show is a big leap ...name wise ... I think
        that you may end up with a mirror site .... "America's Dumbest
        Entries" but I base that only on what gets passed around as "viral
        hits" ... ie...eye diarrhea ...

        I do think that if Holiday INn promotes this even half hardily you may
        have a hit on your hands...

        Good luck

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 2, 2007
          Thanks for bringing in some context.

          Apologies if anyone was offended with my vinegary approach. I'll take the
          sugary one next time. Using what occurred to me as uninformative "we're the
          best ever" schtick turned me off and had me decide against taking the time
          to click a potentially informative link. After seeing so many pitches like
          this in ye olde inbox, my frustration-level led to a rather self-indulgent
          moment.

          On 02/11/2007, bordercollieaustralianshepherd <
          bordercollieaustralianshepherd@...> wrote:

          > Congrats on getting Holiday Inn interested/backing your idea/web site.
          > Would like to know more of how you pitched it, what kind of back and
          > forth you may have had to do before nailing down a "Go For It" ....
          > and would really like to know other details that would be labeled
          > "None of your Business" ... curiosity ... but will never ask specifics.
          >
          > America's Smartest Web Show is a big leap ...name wise ... I think
          > that you may end up with a mirror site .... "America's Dumbest
          > Entries" but I base that only on what gets passed around as "viral
          > hits" ... ie...eye diarrhea ...
          >
          > I do think that if Holiday INn promotes this even half hardily you may
          > have a hit on your hands...
          >
          > Good luck

          > "Annaliza" <avnieve@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Make your video a part of America's smartest web show. We're on a
          > > quest to find out about all the unsung smart ideas across this
          > > country. This means anything from great inventions and business ideas
          > > to the smartest place to shop, eat and just get the best local tour.
          > >
          > > Visit hiexpress.com/thesmartshow to learn more

          --
          Jeffrey Taylor
          Mobile: +33625497654
          Skype: thejeffreytaylor
          Googlechat/Jabber: thejeffreytaylor@...
          http://twitter.com/jeffreytaylor

        • Mike Moon
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 2, 2007
            If you're really really smart, drop by my vlog this month.
            Everyday, to celebrate NaVloPoMo, I'm challenging myself (and those
            that visit) with a different Mensa puzzle. :)

            Mike
            http://vlog.mikemoon.net