Re: "video blog", the term of choice

  • David Howell
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 1, 2007
      Apple only included YouTube into their applications because YouTube is the largest video
      site on the planet. They arent stupid. They know where the people go.

      I put my videos up on YouTube over a year ago. Currently I get more than a 100 times the
      views on my own site over YouTube. Why is that? I'll tell you. The majority of people going
      and watching YT videos dont want to see the sort of work that I do. Plain and simple. They
      want to see some kid falling off a roof or surfing on the hood of a car as it rolls down the
      street, a cute kitten or some guy crying to the camera about how mean people are to Brittany Spears.

      To be overly general, the majority of YT *is* a bunch of kids making apparent
      "funny/slapstick/talking head* videos. People love YT because it's the new America's
      Funniest Home Videos. I personally have never had any amount of "success" on YouTube
      other than a video I shot of my television screen with a news report of the bridge collapse
      here in Minneapolis. Do I hold a grudge against YT? No. There are some good videos
      there. I hold a grudge against MSM promoting the hell out of YT and ignoring the
      independent people.

      Just recently the local news here did a report of people from Minneapolis that are getting
      "famous" on YT. So sad when there are so many independent people here making online
      media that were completely passed on by. I bitched about it to the reporter that did the
      story. His response was that's what his producers wanted. To the MSM, videoblogging,
      vlogging, vidcasting, online video, whatever you want to call it, *IS* YouTube.

      Now, will I put any more videos on YT in the future? I doubt it. I went, I saw, I
      tried...*meh* I'm done. At this point, I don't want to be YouTube famous. I'll stick to the
      tried and true method for me of putting my videos on my own site and doing whatever I
      can to promote people that are the "independents".

      David
      http://www.davidhowellstudios.com
      http://www.taoofdavid.com

      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Heath" <heathparks@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > >

      > > On 1 Nov 2007, at 06:37, Mike Meiser wrote:
      > >
      > > I hadn't thought to check into this in a long while.
      > >
      > > video blog vs. vlog vs. video podcast
      > >
      > > Which terms is winning out?
      > >
      > > http://www.google.com/trends?q=video+podcast%2C+vlog%2C+video+blog%
      > 2C
      > > +videoblog&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
      > >
      > > Alternate tiny url:
      > >
      > > http://tinyurl.com/3b6j4u
      > >
      > > It would appear that "video blog" is THE clear term of choice, which
      > > makes me quite happy. The masses have pretty much spoken at this
      > > point. I think it's safe to say the dust is starting to settle and
      > > can't forsee anything changing the picture anytime soon.
      > >
      > > In fact the only thing more popular then "video blog" is simply
      > > "podcast", with an order of magnitude.
      > >
      > > http://www.google.com/trends?q=video+blog%2C+podcast
      > >
      > > On a side note it's interesting to note that while popularity the
      > term
      > > podcast has obviously peaked the term videoblog continues to rise
      > very
      > > steadily. Most interesting.
      > >
      > > I would think that podcast is the prefered term for audio specific
      > > media, but I could well be wrong, which brings me to my next point.
      > >
      > > **Google can't tell us what people thing these terms mean.**
      > >
      > > Do people think of podcasts as generally audio only?
      > >
      > > What percentage of these articles that are refering to "podcasts"
      > are
      > > actually referring to video specific podcasts?
      > >
      > > When people here "video blog" what do they think?
      > >
      > > When people here "video blog" do they think simple "youtube"?
      > >
      > > or do they think "like a blog but instead of text primarily video"?
      > >
      > > Is blog itself yet a household term, or do people still think it
      > means
      > > "to throw up"?
      > >
      > > And finally and most importantly... what is the state of RSS in
      > all
      > > this?
      > >
      > > My guess is the vast majority will never know the term, RSS. Nor do
      > > they necissarily need to.
      > >
      > > They may understand two things: 1) subscribing, 2) syndication (if
      > > they make media).
      > >
      > > RSS is undisputeably and undeniably integral to this space. As 1) a
      > > subscription mechanism, 2) a serch mechanism, and 3) a syndication
      > > mechanism even though the vast majority of the public may not know
      > it
      > > or even need to know it.
      > >
      > > What interests me though, is how far have we come in loosening media
      > > from the confines of the "web page" so it may flow freely beyond the
      > > boundries of the traditional web to set top boxes, portable devices,
      > > cell phones and such.
      > >
      > > How far have we really gotten in that big picture?
      > >
      > > What percentage of web originating video is viewed on a web page?
      > >
      > > What percentage is viewed on the web page it originated on, as
      > opposed
      > > to through a syndication, reblog, or search site?

    • Shawn Carpenter
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 1, 2007
        Video blog would seem like the obvious term of choice especially since
        it is become more popular among the masses and new people are
        launching video blogs every day. I would venture to guess that the
        main reason why this term is so popular is because the two terms blog
        and vlog resemble one another two much. The also sound very much
        alike (for obvious reasons.)

        So when a new vlogger tells someone to go and check out my vlog they
        get a different response then if they were to tell someone to go and
        check out their video blog. If you say the term vlog the light goes
        on for a few of us, but if you say the term video blog the light goes
        on for everyone.

        Podcasts originally started as audio only so that is what most people
        will view them as. Their first impression just sticks. Podcasts will
        always be audio only to some people.

        People may still be thinking youtube when they hear the term video
        blog, but only be cause they were the first real giant in the
        industry. I know that I only thought youtube when I first started
        vlogging (video blogging!) I would also venture to say that most
        people not in the know about video blogs would thnk that they are just
        like real blogs only primarily spoken. To get a true feel on what
        people think, maybe we should all try putting a poll up on our blogs
        and see what kind of response we get, then compare the results here.

        Shawn Carpenter
        http://spcbrass.wordpress.com
        http://spcbrass.blogspot.com
        http://loudtourtv.blip.tv

        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Meiser"
        <groups-yahoo-com@...> wrote:

        > I hadn't thought to check into this in a long while.
        >
        > video blog vs. vlog vs. video podcast
        >
        > Which terms is winning out?

        http://www.google.com/trends?q=video+podcast%2C+vlog%2C+video+blog%2C+videoblog&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

        > Alternate tiny url:
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/3b6j4u
        >
        > It would appear that "video blog" is THE clear term of choice, which
        > makes me quite happy. The masses have pretty much spoken at this
        > point. I think it's safe to say the dust is starting to settle and
        > can't forsee anything changing the picture anytime soon.
        >
        > In fact the only thing more popular then "video blog" is simply
        > "podcast", with an order of magnitude.
        >
        > http://www.google.com/trends?q=video+blog%2C+podcast
        >
        > On a side note it's interesting to note that while popularity the term
        > podcast has obviously peaked the term videoblog continues to rise very
        > steadily. Most interesting.
        >
        > I would think that podcast is the prefered term for audio specific
        > media, but I could well be wrong, which brings me to my next point.
        >
        > **Google can't tell us what people thing these terms mean.**
        >
        > Do people think of podcasts as generally audio only?
        >
        > What percentage of these articles that are refering to "podcasts" are
        > actually referring to video specific podcasts?
        >
        > When people here "video blog" what do they think?
        >
        > When people here "video blog" do they think simple "youtube"?
        >
        > or do they think "like a blog but instead of text primarily video"?
        >
        > Is blog itself yet a household term, or do people still think it means
        > "to throw up"?
        >

        > And finally and most importantly... what is the state of RSS in all
        this?

        > My guess is the vast majority will never know the term, RSS. Nor do
        > they necissarily need to.
        >
        > They may understand two things: 1) subscribing, 2) syndication (if
        > they make media).
        >
        > RSS is undisputeably and undeniably integral to this space. As 1) a
        > subscription mechanism, 2) a serch mechanism, and 3) a syndication
        > mechanism even though the vast majority of the public may not know it
        > or even need to know it.
        >
        > What interests me though, is how far have we come in loosening media
        > from the confines of the "web page" so it may flow freely beyond the
        > boundries of the traditional web to set top boxes, portable devices,
        > cell phones and such.
        >
        > How far have we really gotten in that big picture?
        >
        > What percentage of web originating video is viewed on a web page?
        >
        > What percentage is viewed on the web page it originated on, as opposed
        > to through a syndication, reblog, or search site?
        >
        > Just some late night ramblings.
        >
        > -Mike
        > mefeedia.com
        > mmeiser.com/blog
        > evilvlog.com

      • Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 1, 2007
          You realize that Verizon only does business in the USA. Thus Vcast (and by
          association vidcast) is American-centric in the most extreme degree.

          - Andreas

          http://www.solitude.dk/
        • Heath
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 1, 2007
            I guess then it all comes down to what Rupert said, how do we show or
            promote or make the MSM notice the "other" video sites? YouTube is
            not for everyone, it's certainly not for me or for most of the people
            I like to watch and interact with. Jay and I had an interesting
            discussion on YouTube when he visited me. The community aspect,
            everyone talks about the Youtube "communtiy" but I don't think there
            really is one, I mean if you look at a number of the videos that have
            lots of views and lots of comments, most of them are
            the "great", "you suck", "this is lame", "LMAO", and so on.... I
            soooo prefer the comments I get and give to those I watch and who
            watches me, because it's a conversation

            It is perplexing, in some ways it seems Youtube is famous for just
            being "in" famous at this point in time. Just thinking out loud I
            guess...I agree with David, I will continue to promote those whom I
            like and hopefully they will do in kind and maybe, just maybe enough
            of us will do it loud enough and long enough for the MSM to notice....
            (if that's what you want that is)

            Heath
            http://batmangeek.com
          • Frank Sinton
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 1, 2007
              When I am explaining mefeedia to people, they don't really get it when
              i explain it terms of "video blogs" or "vlogs". They DO understand it
              when i explained it as "like YouTube, but much more focused on indie
              content creators - user-generated, semi-professional, and professional
              content". Then, there is an "aha!".

              The other distinguishing factor is age:
              > 30 - Takes a lot of explaining
              < 30 - Gets it right away

              Most investors i talk to are over 40 and they don't even understand
              social networking and think it is a fad (but, of course, they want in
              now that Facebook is valued at $347 per user).

              Regards,
              -Frank

              Frank Sinton
              CEO, Mefeedia

              http://www.mefeedia.com/user/franks - What are you watching?

              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Shawn Carpenter" <spcbrass@...>
              wrote:

> [...]
              > > they necissarily need to.
              > >
              > > They may understand two things: 1) subscribing, 2) syndication (if
              > > they make media).
              > >
              > > RSS is undisputeably and undeniably integral to this space. As 1) a
              > > subscription mechanism, 2) a serch mechanism, and 3) a syndication
              > > mechanism even though the vast majority of the public may not know it
              > > or even need to know it.
              > >
              > > What interests me though, is how far have we come in loosening media
              > > from the confines of the "web page" so it may flow freely beyond the
              > > boundries of the traditional web to set top boxes, portable devices,
              > > cell phones and such.
              > >
              > > How far have we really gotten in that big picture?
              > >
              > > What percentage of web originating video is viewed on a web page?
              > >
              > > What percentage is viewed on the web page it originated on, as opposed
              > > to through a syndication, reblog, or search site?

            • Ron Watson
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 1, 2007
                > I bitched about it to the reporter that did the
                > story. His response was that's what his producers wanted. To the
                > MSM, videoblogging,
                > vlogging, vidcasting, online video, whatever you want to call it,
                > *IS* YouTube.
                >
                > Now, will I put any more videos on YT in the future? I doubt it. I
                > went, I saw, I
                > tried...*meh* I'm done. At this point, I don't want to be YouTube
                > famous. I'll stick to the
                > tried and true method for me of putting my videos on my own site
                > and doing whatever I
                > can to promote people that are the "independents".
                >
                > David
                > http://www.davidhowellstudios.com
                > http://www.taoofdavid.com
                >
                > .

                I hate to keep harping on this, and it just occurred to me that I
                might not have 'harped' on it here, but I say it so often I can't be
                sure.

                It's not a 'Mainstream' media, not MSM, it's a Corporate Media.

                That's why YouTube is the feature. It's about sponsorship and profit.

                Until your video blog can command the attention of Corporate
                Sponsorship dollars, and can drive serious profit, you won't be
                featured in the Corporate Media.

                I've been beating my head against the wall on this on all kinds of
                political sites for 10 years now.

                We, the people who are outside of the system, the 'Independents' have
                got to get our shit together when it comes to messaging.

                We should be calling it the Coporate Media, as that's the real
                problem. Mainstream media poses the idea that it's 'what people
                want'. Corporate Media means it's about profit and sponsorship.

                The customers of the corporate media are corporate sponsors, viewers
                are the product being sold. The customer gets what they want. We,
                being the product, don't get what we want. We get whatever it is we
                will take before we turn it off.

                f we were the customer, would we be getting more commercials per
                hour? No we'd be getting less.

                If we were the customer, would we be getting the same shit different
                channel? No, we'd be getting more quality programming.

                The term Corporate Media places this concept closer to the front of
                people's minds. It's descriptive, it's indicting, and it's what's
                necessary to challenge people to turn it off.

                People are very close to turning it off, IMHO, but using terms like
                MSM doesn't give the push that's necessary.

                There literally is nothing worth looking at that is not Corporate
                Sponsored. We've got to change that. We've got to challenge Corporate
                Sponsorship, and it starts with language.

                I could keep writing, on and on, about this topic, but I'm not going
                to bore anyone, or preach to anyone, but if we want to start to
                challenge the Corporate Media, we should correctly label them so as
                to keep other people's eyes on the ball.

                David, this is not really addressed to you, specifically, so don't
                feel as if you need to defend yourself. I know that might be a wasted
                thought, but I really hate to have people take offense at this
                speech. I've given it a boatload of times, and it really has not much
                to do with you personally. It's really about us more effectively
                messaging and getting a better idea out there so in the future the
                Media might actually pick people like us up and run with them.

                Thanks for reading.

                Cheers,

                Ron Watson
                http://k9disc.blip.tv
                http://k9disc.com
                http://pawsitivevybe.com/vlog
                http://pawsitivevybe.com

              • Patrick Delongchamp
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 1, 2007
                  Very interesting topic. I ran a similar vlog/video blog/videoblog regular
                  google search after someone suggested renaming the WP article from vlog to
                  video blog. After Youtube added a video blog genre the term exploded and
                  vlog began to plateau. There was suddenly very strong reasoning to rename
                  it.

                  As for podcasts. I would assume those who publish videos still refer to
                  their feeds as simply podcasts. I also found that it was very difficult to
                  explain a podcast to people.

                  I think people do think of youtube and of someone sitting in front of a
                  webcam when you mention "video blog" but i think that's a good thing. It's
                  understandable since it's still the most common type of video blog and it
                  gives you a simple base from which you can begin to explain how yours
                  differs.

                  As for RSS, I agree that most will probably never know term but I'm still
                  not sure it's the future. In my opinion as an adult educator, RSS is just
                  plain old not user friendly. The term is obscure, having to copy and paste
                  links is a lot to expect of people, (i wish i were exaggerating on that one)
                  and, in regards to aggregators, people rarely download third party apps
                  anymore and having to visit an additional web site is counter intuitive to
                  reducing the amount of sites you need to constantly check. The solution has
                  to be web based and it has to be something people are already using. Right
                  now, that's facebook, youtube, and email. If people aren't exposed to your
                  content through one of those three ...series of tubes(? :)... it will be
                  significantly harder to reach them.

                  So how far have we come in making video work fluidly on different mediums?
                  Quite far I'd say but unfortunately it hasn't been through an open standard
                  such as RSS.

                  As for blog, I'm pretty sure it's a household word. I'll have to ask my mom
                  if she's ever heard of it and report back. :)

                  On 11/1/07, Mike Meiser <groups-yahoo-com@...> wrote:

                  > I hadn't thought to check into this in a long while.
                  >
                  > video blog vs. vlog vs. video podcast
                  >
                  > Which terms is winning out?
                  >

                  > http://www.google.com/trends?q=video+podcast%2C+vlog%2C+video+blog%2C+videoblog&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
                  >
                  > Alternate tiny url:
                  >
                  > http://tinyurl.com/3b6j4u
                  >
                  > It would appear that "video blog" is THE clear term of choice, which
                  > makes me quite happy. The masses have pretty much spoken at this
                  > point. I think it's safe to say the dust is starting to settle and
                  > can't forsee anything changing the picture anytime soon.
                  >
                  > In fact the only thing more popular then "video blog" is simply
                  > "podcast", with an order of magnitude.
                  >
                  > http://www.google.com/trends?q=video+blog%2C+podcast
                  >
                  > On a side note it's interesting to note that while popularity the term
                  > podcast has obviously peaked the term videoblog continues to rise very
                  > steadily. Most interesting.
                  >
                  > I would think that podcast is the prefered term for audio specific
                  > media, but I could well be wrong, which brings me to my next point.
                  >
                  > **Google can't tell us what people thing these terms mean.**
                  >
                  > Do people think of podcasts as generally audio only?
                  >
                  > What percentage of these articles that are refering to "podcasts" are
                  > actually referring to video specific podcasts?
                  >
                  > When people here "video blog" what do they think?
                  >
                  > When people here "video blog" do they think simple "youtube"?
                  >
                  > or do they think "like a blog but instead of text primarily video"?
                  >
                  > Is blog itself yet a household term, or do people still think it means
                  > "to throw up"?
                  >
                  > And finally and most importantly... what is the state of RSS in all this?
                  >
                  > My guess is the vast majority will never know the term, RSS. Nor do
                  > they necissarily need to.
                  >
                  > They may understand two things: 1) subscribing, 2) syndication (if
                  > they make media).
                  >
                  > RSS is undisputeably and undeniably integral to this space. As 1) a
                  > subscription mechanism, 2) a serch mechanism, and 3) a syndication
                  > mechanism even though the vast majority of the public may not know it
                  > or even need to know it.
                  >
                  > What interests me though, is how far have we come in loosening media
                  > from the confines of the "web page" so it may flow freely beyond the
                  > boundries of the traditional web to set top boxes, portable devices,
                  > cell phones and such.
                  >
                  > How far have we really gotten in that big picture?
                  >
                  > What percentage of web originating video is viewed on a web page?
                  >
                  > What percentage is viewed on the web page it originated on, as opposed
                  > to through a syndication, reblog, or search site?
                  >
                  > Just some late night ramblings.
                  >
                  > -Mike
                  > mefeedia.com
                  > mmeiser.com/blog
                  > evilvlog.com

                • Frank Sinton
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 1, 2007
                    "RSS" as a term isn't used in mainstream, but it has become a standard
                    backend mechanism to share information and media. A good analogy:
                    people used to have to use the "http" when letting someone know about
                    your website - now, it is has become a standard protocol that is just
                    used. RSS has been heading in the same direction too, fortunately.

                    "Feed" seems to have regained in popularity, mainly due to Facebook
                    using the term "news feed". We like that. :)

                    Regards,
                    -Frank

                    Frank Sinton
                    CEO, Mefeedia

                    http://mefeedia.com/user/franks - What are you watching?

                    --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Delongchamp"
                    <pdelongchamp@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > they necissarily need to.
                    > >
                    > > They may understand two things: 1) subscribing, 2) syndication (if
                    > > they make media).
                    > >
                    > > RSS is undisputeably and undeniably integral to this space. As 1) a
                    > > subscription mechanism, 2) a serch mechanism, and 3) a syndication
                    > > mechanism even though the vast majority of the public may not know it
                    > > or even need to know it.
                    > >
                    > > What interests me though, is how far have we come in loosening media
                    > > from the confines of the "web page" so it may flow freely beyond the
                    > > boundries of the traditional web to set top boxes, portable devices,
                    > > cell phones and such.
                    > >
                    > > How far have we really gotten in that big picture?
                    > >
                    > > What percentage of web originating video is viewed on a web page?
                    > >
                    > > What percentage is viewed on the web page it originated on, as opposed
                    > > to through a syndication, reblog, or search site?

                  • Rupert
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 1, 2007
                      I think we're in just as much trouble as we ever were. I don't think
                      Corporate Media, MSM, whatever you want to call it, is going
                      anywhere. It'll adapt, and establish itself as new technological
                      gatekeeper on people's couches.

                      All televisions will get their content direct from the internet
                      within 10 years, and the general public will not object to using
                      channels that are not dissimilar to what they look like today - but
                      On Demand. They won't want to go looking for good content. They'll
                      want to turn on their TV and see a menu or a site that highlights all
                      the popular shows

                      What I'm worried about is that the connection between the internet
                      and the television - where all this is going - where the large
                      audiences are - will be owned and controlled by the same Corporate
                      Media companies. They'll have their portals, with all the usual shit
                      on them.

                      The media are getting more and more desperate to compete, they're
                      downsizing to cope with reduced revenues, and they know that the
                      surest way to pay their bills is to deliver lowest common denominator
                      celebrity stories and shallow junk-food content. I don't see any
                      decrease in demand from the public. In fact, if anything YouTube is
                      proving to the big TV companies that they don't even have to spend
                      money on high production values - people just want to feast on
                      gossip, laughs and quick fix shit.

                      Unless we shout louder, and stoke interest NOW in independent video
                      online, I'm sure that the people who are designing the portals of the
                      future will overlook us - either because they don't know that we
                      exist or because they think we're valueless in $ terms - and we'll be
                      shut out again.

                      But the problem is that even if we tried, I don't think that niche
                      will ever really manifest itself in $ terms.

                      Yes, the distribution methods will change - but face it, independent
                      video producers are still not going to bring in the crowds. The
                      Corporate controllers are not going to give a shit about us. I can
                      hear Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glenn Ross: "You make beautiful little
                      films? Fuck you! You're part of an active community? Go home and play
                      with your friends! You wanna work here - close! Always be closing.
                      Always be Closing. Always. Be. Closing."

                      I think waiting around for MSM to die, the audience to change and
                      'our turn' to come is fantasy. We need to stick to what we do
                      creatively, and explain it to them in their terms. It's their game.
                      They control the information and the audience. The audience don't
                      want freedom and quality. They want shit. My brief optimism that
                      that will ever change is almost dead.

                      On 1 Nov 2007, at 18:55, Ron Watson wrote:

> [...]

                      Sponsored. We've got to change that. We've got to challenge Corporate
                      Sponsorship, and it starts with language.

                      I could keep writing, on and on, about this topic, but I'm not going
                      to bore anyone, or preach to anyone, but if we want to start to
                      challenge the Corporate Media, we should correctly label them so as
                      to keep other people's eyes on the ball.

                      David, this is not really addressed to you, specifically, so don't
                      feel as if you need to defend yourself. I know that might be a wasted
                      thought, but I really hate to have people take offense at this
                      speech. I've given it a boatload of times, and it really has not much
                      to do with you personally. It's really about us more effectively
                      messaging and getting a better idea out there so in the future the
                      Media might actually pick people like us up and run with them.

                    • Patrick Cook
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 1, 2007
                        Hi everyone:

                        On 11/1/07, P. Dilly <podcastpickle@...> wrote:

                        > Verizon advertises Vcasts so heavy on the TV. that vidcasts would be
                        > understood rather easily.

                        You mean like how Apple (Via iTunes) is capitalizing on the term
                        "podcast"? Yeah, I'd have to agree.

                        But then again, you'd still have some people who don't know what a
                        "vidcast" is though. Which is why I prefer to use the term "video
                        podcast" because it's pretty explainatory (Not to mention that almost
                        ANYONE who's been online is familiar with the term "podcast" because
                        it's been around like enough).

                        Cheers :D

                        --
                        Pat Cook
                        Denver, Colorado
                        PODCASTS -
                        AS MY WORLD TURNS - Blogger Page -
                        http://asmyworldturnstv.blogspot.com/ BlogTV Page -
                        http://www.blogtv.com/Shows/20453
                        PAT'S REAL DEAL VIDEO BLOG - http://patsrealdeal.livejournal.com/
                        PAT'S HEALTH & MEDICAL WONDERS VIDEOCAST -
                        http://patshealthmedicalwondersvideocast.blogspot.com/
                        YOUTUBE CHANNEL - http://www.youtube.com/amwowttv/
                        THE PAT COOK SHOW - http://www.livevideo.com/thepcshow
                        THE PAT COOK SHOW (Video Podcast) - Blogger Page -
                        http://thepctvshow.blogspot.com/ - BlogTV Page -
                        http://www.blogtv.com/Shows/19924
                      • Patrick Cook
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 1, 2007
                          Hi everyone:

                          On 11/1/07, David Howell <taoofdavid@...> wrote:

                          > Just recently the local news here did a report of people from Minneapolis that are getting
                          > "famous" on YT. So sad when there are so many independent people here making online
                          > media that were completely passed on by. I bitched about it to the reporter that did the
                          > story. His response was that's what his producers wanted. To the MSM, videoblogging,
                          > vlogging, vidcasting, online video, whatever you want to call it, *IS* YouTube.

                          Now WHEN did you EVER think the corporate media EVER gave a damn about
                          those of us who are BUILDING THE FUTURE of Public Access media David?
                          And WHEN do reporters EVER DO anything beyond what their producers
                          want anyway? You obviously weren't thinking of these two things when
                          you wrote that email.

                          Not to attack you, but you certainly couldn't have expected ANYTHING
                          less, could you?

                          > Now, will I put any more videos on YT in the future? I doubt it. I went, I saw, I
                          > tried...*meh* I'm done. At this point, I don't want to be YouTube famous. I'll stick to the
                          > tried and true method for me of putting my videos on my own site and doing whatever I
                          > can to promote people that are the "independents".

                          Not to mention the builders of the future of Public Access media.
                          Don't forget that now. :D

                          Remember the '08 Presidential Campaign is upon us. THE TIME **NOW**
                          FOR ONLINE INDEPENDENT MEDIA TO MAKE A STAND, DRAW A LINE IN THE SAND
                          & PROVE ITS POWERFUL WORTH.

                          Cheers :D