Boston City Councillor John Tobin: 3rd video up on his site

  • Steve Garfield
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 25, 2005
      Hello everybody,
      The web site I developed for Boston City Councillor John Tobin,
      http://www.votejohntobin.com/ , is going to officially go live in a
      week or two.

      There are now three videos up there, but I haven't added the two most
      recent ones to my video blog as enclosures.

      I just put up an RSS 2.0 feed with enclosures on the
      http://www.votejohntobin.com/ site.

      That way you can choose to see the video blog posts that I do for him
      if you like.

      That feed is:
      http://feeds.feedburner.com/JohnTobinBostonCityCouncillor

      Here's the most recent one we did of a grand opening at a local coffee
      shop.

      Java Jo's Grand Opening
      http://tinyurl.com/4kmlx

      We're just starting out with this. The encouraging thing about it is
      that the videos are just going to get better and better.

      We're going to get out and capture some moments showing.

      Thanks,
      --Steve
      http://stevegarfield.com
    • Jeeper One TV
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 25, 2005
        Hi everyone:

        At 09:18 AM 2/25/2005, you wrote:

        Hello everybody,
        The web site I developed for Boston City Councillor John Tobin,
        http://www.votejohntobin.com/ ,  is going to officially go live in a
        week or two.

        Steve....At the risk of sounding harsh.....Why would ANYONE outside of Boston care about this?

        Just a thought  :)

        Cheers for now everyone  :)

        Patrick Cook
        pchamster@...
        kpdcnettv@...
        Denver, Colorado
        http://kpdcnettv.tripod.com/blog.html
        http://kpdcnettv.tripod.com/blog/
        TEXT RSS Feed - http://kpdcnettv.tripod.com/blog/rss.xml
        PODCAST RSS Feed - http://jeeperone.tripod.com/blog/rss2.xml
      • Steve Watkins
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 25, 2005
          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Jeeper One TV <kpdcnettv@c...>
          wrote:
          > Hi everyone:
          >
          > Steve....At the risk of sounding harsh.....Why would ANYONE outside
          of
          > Boston care about this?
          >
          > Just a thought :)
          >
          > Cheers for now everyone :)

          Because its pioneering stuff is one reason.

          Am I more likely to be uninterested in Steves original message, or a
          message from someone else moaning about the original message? Like as
          if I couldnt guess that at least somebody would be less than
          interested by the Boston thing, wityhout you needing to say it.

          In other words, if you open the can of worms about what subjects
          are/are not deemed worthy to discuss here, expect your own
          contribution to come under strutiny, reap what you sow.

          Cheers

          Elbows of Steve
        • Steve Garfield
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 25, 2005
            We are a community of videobloggers trying to promote videoblogging all
            over the world.

            This is the first example, that I know of , of a politician taking an
            interest in using video blogging to talk directly to the people.

            That why anyone out side the Boston area would care.

            If you don't care, don't follow the link.

            If you don't have anything nice to say. Don't say anything.

            You post did sound harsh to me and I don't appreciate it.

            --Steve
            http://stevegarfield.com

            On Feb 25, 2005, at 7:14 PM, Jeeper One TV wrote:

            > Hi everyone:
            >
            > At 09:18 AM 2/25/2005, you wrote:
            >

            > Hello everybody,
            > The web site I developed for Boston City Councillor John Tobin,
            > http://www.votejohntobin.com/ ,  is going to officially go live in a
            > week or two.
            >
            > Steve....At the risk of sounding harsh.....Why would ANYONE outside
            > of Boston care about this?
            >
            > Just a thought  :)
            >
            > Cheers for now everyone  :)
            >
            > Patrick Cook
            > pchamster@...
            > kpdcnettv@...
            > Denver, Colorado
            > http://kpdcnettv.tripod.com/blog.html
            > http://kpdcnettv.tripod.com/blog/
            > TEXT RSS Feed - http://kpdcnettv.tripod.com/blog/rss.xml
            > PODCAST RSS Feed - http://jeeperone.tripod.com/blog/rss2.xml
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            > <22305_0205_016_b_300250_a.gif>
            > <l.gif>

            > Service.
            >

            > Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
          • Andrew Baron
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 25, 2005
              > > Steve....At the risk of sounding harsh.....Why would ANYONE outside
              > of
              > > Boston care about this?

              Damn, Steve beat me to the punch by about 1 min:

              Damn, Steve beat me to the punch by about 1 min - looks like were
              saying the same thing:

              I have an interest to know how people use videoblogs. This is the
              first example of any politician in the whole world - I dare say - who
              could say "yes, I intentionally have a videoblog". If you are not
              interested about this particular use, you'll hear more about it anyway
              when the 2008 US presidential season rolls around.

              This kinda relates to a really serious situation that I have been
              thinking about recently. During the 2004 campaign, instead of paying
              much money, or getting involved locally, I took to the rest of the
              world outside of the US to help influence the election, especially
              knowing I was singing to a choir ready to back me up, against
              <Friday>fuck-face</firday>.

              Because you know, even if you can't vote, you can influence others
              that can.

              So, what if Steve's local candidate received international attention,
              positively, because he is using a videoblog. This could come back and
              swing the locals just because of any kind of publicity. So, suddenly,
              local politics begins to be. . .not so local. A Zimbabwean or Eskimo
              could possibly put a little sway or even effort into the election of
              local Boston politics because they think videoblogging is cool.

              Of course you don't need a videoblog to create an international stir.
              But as we witness the world become more and more networked, its going
              to be insane.

              For the 2004 season, the US woke up to the "use of the internet(s) in
              campaigning". Yea, can you believe it? This like JUST HAPPENED for
              most of them. Anyway, next time, I think the whole world will be able
              to help us out. And I can't say thats a bad thing, but it will be
              different. Videoblogging will be a major force. Because we will be
              there by then. . .thanks to Steve Garfield.
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 25, 2005
                > Steve....At the risk of sounding harsh.....Why would ANYONE outside of
                > Boston care about this?
                >
                > Just a thought :)

                as others have said, what Stvee has done is simply amazing.
                groundbreaking.
                he has taken the effoet and time to get his local political
                representaive to begin posting video to the web.
                and if you see how steve is doing it...it is not so much press releases.

                we're moving towards a time when politicians, especially local ones,
                use videoblogs to talk to people.
                we as voters will demand it.
                no excuse that they dont get time on TV.
                they can speak at length about very specific topics...in great context.

                any poltiican trying to be slick and phony will not fly.
                if a poltician doesnt have a videoblog, why would i vote for him/her?
                i can go to my local rep and say "hey, why dont you do this?"
                with a videoblog, a relatively unknown could gain a real presence even
                if he/she is ignored by the Tv networks/newspapers.

                and Steve has taken the first step.
                this is why I care.

                Jay
              • R. Kristiansen
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 25, 2005
                  This is a very interesting discussion. For all I know "Jeeper One TV"
                  might be using the traditional sufi methods of attention control. At
                  least the outcome is an interesting topic - in my opinion!

                  What Steve Garfield has done together with John Tobin is Very
                  interesting to me. I dare say Norwegian Liberal Youth had our
                  alpha-testing of videoblogging before Tobin had his first movie
                  online, but Steve might consider youth politicians not proper
                  politicians, so I don't mind if Tobin is the world's first vlogging
                  politician :) We are then here in Norway the first vlogging political
                  Organization in the world. The apple pie is more than big enough for
                  both Steve and me ;)

                  On a more serious note, yes, this will truly change how we view media,
                  election campaigns, and the whole civil society. I have basically now
                  dropped out of University - I am no longer an undergraduate student of
                  literature - and will be focusing full time on videoblogging for my
                  party on a volunteer base. I work 50% night time at a hospital for my
                  bills, and otherwise I live on the enthusiasm I receive from watching
                  videoblogs from you wonderful people.

                  Here in Norway, MANY people are so fed up with politics that they..
                  often turn to the extremist parties just for the heck of it. They
                  might think that the "Progressive Party" which is basically
                  anti-immigration, antix2-muslim, anti-freedom, anti-taxes and
                  pro-populism, is a cool party to vote on because "they have never been
                  in power". Ok, I will quit the propaganda. The point is: Videoblogging
                  is the Perfect tool for organizations like political parties, and I am
                  shocked by how much resistance some people might have against it.

                  To give some constructive feedback to John Tobin's vlog: Firstly, the
                  repeat of the same music as intro/outro on every blog along with just
                  a low-quality logo is not a style I would go for myself. Does Tobin
                  ALWAYS need to wear a tie? Vlog him at home with his family, or
                  interview him while in the car. Let him talk about what Drives him.
                  For now, the prep talks just come across Too much like wannabe-msm.
                  Rehearsed talks for people used to this kind of talk.

                  I don't mean to dis Steve Garfield's work; just sounding off my
                  opinion. I am very interested in seeing where political videoblogging
                  will go, and myself - well - I will be blogging about the whole
                  process on my own site. Hopefully we can learn some lessons in this
                  year's election campaign here in Norway, like we learned some lessons
                  from the Dean campaign last year. (I have contact with some of the
                  people who worked on his online campaign).

                  best wishes from Norway,

                  Raymond M. Kristiansen
                  http://dltq.blogs.com
                • R. Kristiansen
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 25, 2005
                    And of course, Vlog Joda err Jay Dedman hits the bullseye with his
                    comments. Let us create a demand for personalised information from our
                    politicians! We can make them/us more accountable!

                    Ross Mayfield, CEO of Socialtext, writes on a similar topic here:
                    http://ross.typepad.com/blog/2005/02/government_20_s.html

                    best,

                    Raymond

                    On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 20:52:47 -0500, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:
                    > as others have said, what Stvee has done is simply amazing.
                    > groundbreaking.
                  • Andrew Baron
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 25, 2005
                      It's me editing me again:

                      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Baron"
                      <videoblogyahoo@r...> wrote:

                      > In the 2008 political season, videoblogging will be a major force in
                      > politics. Because we will be there by then. . .
                      >thanks to Steve Garfield.

                      In the 2008 political season, videoblogging will be a major force in
                      politics. Because we will be there by then. . .thanks to Steve
                      Garfield and Raymond Kristiansen.

                      Go Raymond, just don't drop out of college if you don't have to man!
                    • ryanne hodson
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 25, 2005
                        i beileve that what steve and raymond are doing
                        WILL change politics.
                        for all the reasons people have already listed.
                        and another reason for people outside of boston caring:
                        inspiration.
                        someone in another city will feel inspired to do the same
                        and so on and so on.

                        i didnt feel like you were trying to be a jerk by asking that question...
                        and if you don't have anything nice to say, in my opinion,
                        say it anyway.
                        we'll nail you to the cross if we feel it absolutely necessary.

                        On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 03:06:18 +0100, R. Kristiansen <raymondmk@...> wrote:

                        > And of course, Vlog Joda err Jay Dedman hits the bullseye with his
                        > comments. Let us create a demand for personalised information from our
                        > politicians! We can make them/us more accountable!
                        >
                        > Ross Mayfield, CEO of Socialtext, writes on a similar topic here:
                        > http://ross.typepad.com/blog/2005/02/government_20_s.html
                        >
                        > best,
                        >
                        > Raymond
                        >
                        > On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 20:52:47 -0500, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:
                        > > as others have said, what Stvee has done is simply amazing.
                        > > groundbreaking.

                        we ARE the media.

                        new videos daily:
                        http://ryanedit.blogspot.com

                        Get ANT: The first Video Aggregator
                        http://www.antnottv.org

                        RSS (subscribe to my blog):
                        http://feeds.feedburner.com/RyannesVideoBlog

                        What is RSS Ryan?
                        http://news.yahoo.com/rss

                        ~Ryan Hodson~
                        Video Editor/Producer
                        http://ryanedit.com
                      • Steve Watkins
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 25, 2005
                          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "R. Kristiansen"
                          <raymondmk@g...> wrote:
                          Ok, I will quit the propaganda. The point is: Videoblogging
                          > is the Perfect tool for organizations like political parties, and I
                          am
                          > shocked by how much resistance some people might have against it.
                          >
                          > Does Tobin
                          > ALWAYS need to wear a tie? Vlog him at home with his family, or
                          > interview him while in the car. Let him talk about what Drives him.
                          > For now, the prep talks just come across Too much like wannabe-msm.
                          > Rehearsed talks for people used to this kind of talk.

                          The very fact that videoblogs can be a perfect tool for politicians
                          is a primary reason why I cannot bring myself to believe that
                          videoblogs will definately change politics in the way I think people
                          like Ryanne hope.

                          It will take time for politicians to find the right style to fit this
                          medium, and even then there are many political people who will never
                          feel confortable in front of a camera in the same way that most
                          scientists do not ooze charisma on stage like rockstars do.

                          For example some party political broadcasts by the smaller parties in
                          the UK do more harm than good to the parties, because their lack
                          of "media training" and unease in front of camera makes them look
                          shifty in a sweaty Nixon sort of way.

                          Politicians behave and present themselves the way they do for a whole
                          multitude of reasons. Just as with policy decisions when they reach
                          power, even the powerful do not have much free power of their own,
                          because they have all these constraints placed on them by the
                          percieved realities of the day, all the powerful people who will lean
                          on them etc.

                          What Im trying to get at is that videoblogs do not free traditional
                          politicians from any of the current constraints on what policies they
                          talk about? A change in style but not substance can still be useful
                          if it reconnects more people to politics, but cries of hope for a
                          political revolution seem overoptimistic if were really just talking
                          about a new style/presentation of the same old political realities.

                          I am not poo-pooing the concept by any means, just trying not to get
                          carried away with expectations. Videoblogging doesnt remove any of
                          the existing "influential powers" that shape political decisions and
                          presentation. What it can do is expand knowledge, spread information.
                          It can empower people by making their voices heard.

                          So I wonder how much of the real political change will come from
                          traditional politicians using videoblogs, as opposed to non-
                          politicians expressing their views on videoblogs and blogs, and maybe
                          even some new kind of videoblog politician that is truly born of the
                          media rather than being restrained by belonging to traditional
                          political parties?

                          Does the fact that Raymonds party is a Youth party have benefits in
                          how much you can really benefit from videoblogs because perhaps there
                          is a bit more freedom to experiment with both style and substance?

                          As an individual I have more freedom of expression than if I were
                          videoblogging in a political party? And if I were up for election I
                          could say even less, and if I were in office even less, with every
                          increase of power comes an increase in vocal responsiblity that can
                          only lead to a continuation of phenomenon that turn people off
                          politics because the politicians are "on message"!?!

                          Im hoping to be totally wrong. One of the problems I have today is
                          that I see quite a few "characters" in the older generation of
                          politicians, people who arent afraid to go off-message and stick to
                          their principals, but they seem to be a dying breed. Im less
                          impressed with newer generations, not just politicians, nearly all my
                          heros are dead now lol. If I have a hope for videoblogging and the
                          net in general, its that it continues to live up to its potential and
                          becomes the means that newer generations assert themselves and break
                          out of the plastic blandified corporotosphere, let the peoples soul
                          shine through!

                          Oops sorry for the waffle, and my comments arent specifically
                          directed at the examples of political videoblogs so far, I comment
                          these pioneering steps, just dont want to underestimate the length of
                          the path to change, and all the things that wont change along the way.

                          Cheers

                          Steve of Elbows
                        • R. Kristiansen
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 25, 2005
                            I will reply Steve Watkins points one by one, from my Personal point of view.

                            On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 03:00:08 -0000, Steve Watkins <steve@...> wrote:
                            > The very fact that videoblogs can be a perfect tool for politicians
                            > is a primary reason why I cannot bring myself to believe that
                            > videoblogs will definately change politics in the way I think people
                            > like Ryanne hope.

                            I will at least do all _I_ can to ensure that videoblogging will not
                            just be a good tool for the politicians, but for the rest of the
                            population as well. *Gasp* Yes, politicians are people too ;)

                            > It will take time for politicians to find the right style to fit this
                            > medium, and even then there are many political people who will never
                            > feel confortable in front of a camera in the same way that most
                            > scientists do not ooze charisma on stage like rockstars do.

                            Political videoblogging can in fact be Anything but talking heads. The
                            medium is in its infancy. I will experiment with it, just as I have
                            done with my own personal video blog in the past.

                            > For example some party political broadcasts by the smaller parties in
                            > the UK do more harm than good to the parties, because their lack
                            > of "media training" and unease in front of camera makes them look
                            > shifty in a sweaty Nixon sort of way.

                            Good point. This is why I have been working with introducing blogging
                            in our youth party since october, and prepared for videoblogging since
                            just a few days after I first figured out about videoblogging just
                            before last christmas.

                            > Politicians behave and present themselves the way they do for a whole
                            > multitude of reasons. Just as with policy decisions when they reach
                            > power, even the powerful do not have much free power of their own,
                            > because they have all these constraints placed on them by the
                            > percieved realities of the day, all the powerful people who will lean
                            > on them etc.

                            Again, good point. It will be interesting to see how we can hack that.
                            At the "politicalvideoblogging" category of my blog, I will be
                            covering among others this question as this spring proceeds.
                            http://dltq.blogs.com/dltq/politicalvideoblogging/index.html

                            > What Im trying to get at is that videoblogs do not free traditional
                            > politicians from any of the current constraints on what policies they
                            > talk about?

                            No, but videoblogging DOES free time. I will give loads of examples of
                            this later on - by Showing it, not just talking about it.

                            > A change in style but not substance can still be useful
                            > if it reconnects more people to politics, but cries of hope for a
                            > political revolution seem overoptimistic if were really just talking
                            > about a new style/presentation of the same old political realities.

                            I aim for the stars, and it is ok if we just land on the moon this
                            time around :)

                            > Does the fact that Raymonds party is a Youth party have benefits in
                            > how much you can really benefit from videoblogs because perhaps there
                            > is a bit more freedom to experiment with both style and substance?

                            Certainly!! Our mother party, where our ministers are Norway's
                            minister of Justice, minister of Communication and minister of
                            Agriculture and food, will have a lot more difficulties dealing with
                            this medium. That is why we need John Tobin and Steve Garfield. That
                            is why I personally am sure that it will work out. Maybe not as fast
                            as we hope, but I will be pleased with even just a bit of added
                            transparency in our civil society.

                            > As an individual I have more freedom of expression than if I were
                            > videoblogging in a political party? And if I were up for election I
                            > could say even less, and if I were in office even less, with every
                            > increase of power comes an increase in vocal responsiblity that can
                            > only lead to a continuation of phenomenon that turn people off
                            > politics because the politicians are "on message"!?!

                            huh? The whole world is slowly becoming more open, Steve! Look at
                            Microsoft's Channel 9! Would you even dream about that kind of
                            openness 9 years ago? I am sure I wouldnt!

                            General Motors are blogging. Boeing are. Wikis are hitting the big
                            bang soon. Social software like del.icio.us will open up things even
                            further. We will Still have hierarchies of information and power, but
                            things Are unrooted.

                            The kind of pessimism about media that is so darned popular is
                            something I disagree with. Let's be frigging positive and see the
                            challenges as a good thing! We can do this. There is no God, there is
                            no big puppetmaster controlling the whole world (not even Bush has
                            that role), and there are way more opportunities now for improving
                            this fragile little world than ever through effective communication.

                            Example: Prakash, my friend from Nepal, just received his videocamera.
                            If he can videoblog without getting put in prison; SHOWING us how
                            things are Currently in Nepal, we can quote that, and I WILL be
                            confronting our ministry of foreign affairs on some issues.

                            > Im hoping to be totally wrong. <snip> let the peoples soul
                            > shine through!

                            Souls will shine. I will do whatever I can to prove you wrong. If you
                            are not wrong, we still can work at breaking those walls that
                            suffocate us as a society.

                            Raymond
                          • Verdi
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 25, 2005
                              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Watkins" <steve@d...> wrote:
                              > What Im trying to get at is that videoblogs do not free traditional
                              > politicians from any of the current constraints on what policies they
                              > talk about? A change in style but not substance can still be useful
                              > if it reconnects more people to politics, but cries of hope for a
                              > political revolution seem overoptimistic if were really just talking
                              > about a new style/presentation of the same old political realities.
                              >
                              > I am not poo-pooing the concept by any means, just trying not to get
                              > carried away with expectations. Videoblogging doesnt remove any of
                              > the existing "influential powers" that shape political decisions and
                              > presentation. What it can do is expand knowledge, spread information.
                              > It can empower people by making their voices heard.
                              >
                              > So I wonder how much of the real political change will come from
                              > traditional politicians using videoblogs, as opposed to non-
                              > politicians expressing their views on videoblogs and blogs, and maybe
                              > even some new kind of videoblog politician that is truly born of the
                              > media rather than being restrained by belonging to traditional
                              > political parties?

                              Here's what I think is important. Ideally, a politician is a leader.
                              Being a leader is all about how you are with people. Someone who's a
                              true leader would naturally make a great videoblogger. What will be
                              fantastic is the day when paper pushing politicians can no longer hide
                              behind their office and hide behind their slick advertizing and name
                              recognition. That's they day when they are exposed as the frauds that
                              they are and the opportunity, for someone with real ideas on how to
                              lead and get what people want done, is created. Videoblogging
                              politicians will mean that if you're good you'll get elected. Instead
                              of the way it works today where if you have more money you get elected.

                              -Verdi
                            • Jeeper One TV
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 25, 2005
                                Hi everyone:

                                At 06:07 PM 2/25/2005, you wrote:

                                We are a community of videobloggers trying to promote videoblogging all over the world.

                                This is the first example, that I know of , of a politician taking an interest in using video blogging to talk directly to the people.

                                That why anyone out side the Boston area would care.

                                If you don't care, don't follow the link.

                                If you don't have anything nice to say.  Don't say anything.

                                You post did sound harsh to me and I don't appreciate it.

                                Sorry dude.  Didn't intend to sound harsh or rude.  :( But anyhow YES you are right, he's got to be the first politician to embrace vlogging OR podcasting as a means of communicating with the constituency (sp?).  From THAT standpoint, YES WE SHOULD CARE (and feel PROUD too!).  But from a POLITICAL standpoint, I don't think anyone outside of Boston will care very much since he doesn't represent the rest of us.

                                Just a thought  :)

                                Cheers for now everyone  :)

                                Patrick Cook
                                pchamster@...
                                kpdcnettv@...
                                Denver, Colorado
                                http://kpdcnettv.tripod.com/blog.html
                                http://kpdcnettv.tripod.com/blog/
                                TEXT RSS Feed - http://kpdcnettv.tripod.com/blog/rss.xml
                                PODCAST RSS Feed - http://jeeperone.tripod.com/blog/rss2.xml  (SOON TO CHANGE!!!)
                              • Andreas Haugstrup
                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 26, 2005
                                  wrote:

                                  > The very fact that videoblogs can be a perfect tool for politicians
                                  > is a primary reason why I cannot bring myself to believe that
                                  > videoblogs will definately change politics in the way I think people
                                  > like Ryanne hope.

                                  Just remember that video is equal to truth like Jay says. Video is the
                                  most seductive and deceptive media out there (because it is percieved to
                                  be truth). Politicians with an agenda will have a field day.

                                  - Andreas
                                  --
                                  <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>
                                • Lisa Harper
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 26, 2005
                                    Video can be destructive, too. And it can be used to construct new
                                    truths. Just the way in which we like to take bits and pieces of other
                                    people's work, people with a political agenda can do the same thing
                                    with potentially dangerous impact. So if your candidate has tons of
                                    video, it would be easy enough to create an effect where you take bits
                                    and pieces of things out of context, and string them together in such
                                    a way that you create another version of the "truth". Hmm. Just like
                                    broadcast media often does. Only now there is more, and probably more
                                    candid, video...
                                    Lisa
                                    http://www.lisaharper.org

                                    On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 10:34:06 +0100, Andreas Haugstrup
                                    <videoblog@...> wrote:

                                    > On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 03:00:08 -0000, Steve Watkins <steve@...>
                                    > wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > The very fact that videoblogs can be a perfect tool for politicians
                                    > > is a primary reason why I cannot bring myself to believe that
                                    > > videoblogs will definately change politics in the way I think people
                                    > > like Ryanne hope.
                                    >
                                    > Just remember that video is equal to truth like Jay says. Video is the
                                    > most seductive and deceptive media out there (because it is percieved to
                                    > be truth). Politicians with an agenda will have a field day.
                                    >
                                    > - Andreas
                                    > --
                                    > <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>

                                  • Andreas Haugstrup
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 26, 2005
                                      I see that I left off a very crucial "not" in my message. What I meant to
                                      say was:

                                      "Just remember that video is *not* equal to truth like Jay says. Video is
                                      the most seductive and deceptive media out there (because it is percieved
                                      to be truth). Politicians with an agenda will have a field day."

                                      I'm in total agreement with you!

                                      - Andreas

                                      On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 08:31:41 -0500, Lisa Harper <lisah2u@...> wrote:

                                      > Video can be destructive, too. And it can be used to construct new
                                      > truths. Just the way in which we like to take bits and pieces of other
                                      > people's work, people with a political agenda can do the same thing
                                      > with potentially dangerous impact. So if your candidate has tons of
                                      > video, it would be easy enough to create an effect where you take bits
                                      > and pieces of things out of context, and string them together in such
                                      > a way that you create another version of the "truth". Hmm. Just like
                                      > broadcast media often does. Only now there is more, and probably more
                                      > candid, video...
                                      > Lisa
                                      > http://www.lisaharper.org
                                      >

                                      > On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 10:34:06 +0100, Andreas Haugstrup
                                      > <videoblog@...> wrote:
                                      >>
                                      >> On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 03:00:08 -0000, Steve Watkins <steve@...>
                                      >> wrote:
                                      >>
                                      >> > The very fact that videoblogs can be a perfect tool for politicians
                                      >> > is a primary reason why I cannot bring myself to believe that
                                      >> > videoblogs will definately change politics in the way I think people
                                      >> > like Ryanne hope.
                                      >>
                                      >> Just remember that video is equal to truth like Jay says. Video is the
                                      >> most seductive and deceptive media out there (because it is percieved to
                                      >> be truth). Politicians with an agenda will have a field day.
                                      >>
                                      >> - Andreas
                                      >> --
                                      >> <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>
                                      >> Commentary on media, communication, culture and technology.

                                      <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>
                                    • R. Kristiansen
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 26, 2005
                                        i agree with Lisa and Andreas here. I just noticed that the Xacti
                                        looks like a gun in a way. The camera is a very very potent weapon.

                                        It's like fire. It can help you make roasted deer-meat, and it can
                                        burn down your house.

                                        Don't forget the role of the blogosphere/vlogosphere. I will set out
                                        some guidelines for OUR political vlogging this weekend, and I will
                                        publish them on my blog (among other places).

                                        The ethical dimensions are VERY important, and I will try live up to
                                        my goal: Don't Lose The Question.

                                        raymond
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Feb 26, 2005
                                          > Just remember that video is NOT equal to truth like Jay says. Video is the
                                          > most seductive and deceptive media out there (because it is percieved to
                                          > be truth). Politicians with an agenda will have a field day.

                                          we forget that we all must translate what we see.
                                          politicians spin things now...so yes, they'll keep spinning.
                                          but cant you tell when someone is bullshitting you?

                                          the only differnce is that right now...there is NO WAY to talk back.
                                          if the President gives a speech...i can either watch it or ignore it.
                                          but until now, i could talk back.

                                          in local politics in the US, traditionally you must be backed by one
                                          of the two parties in order to get airtime, newapaper space,
                                          attention.
                                          there have been no other channels.
                                          until now...possibly....videoblogging.
                                          i want to run for city council...im dedicated...im samrt...im involved
                                          in the community...but i have ideas that do not match the
                                          Democratic/Republican party.
                                          i make a videoblog..and say everything i velievce.
                                          i lay out plans.
                                          i create conversations.
                                          i SHOW where the issues are and discuss what can be done.
                                          will people listen to me or the "official guy"?
                                          that will be the amazing challenge.

                                          now, the 'official candidate" will make their own videoblog.
                                          maybe it'll even look "raw" ans authentic.
                                          but at least we have a new choice here.
                                          at least we're opening up a little bit.

                                          this is a success to me.

                                          jay
                                        • R. Kristiansen
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Feb 26, 2005
                                            Details here: http://dltq.blogs.com/dltq/2005/02/yeah_i_got_a_jo.html

                                            additional comments:

                                            I really really believe we are on to something important. I want to
                                            think business (because I have to) and non-business (because I want
                                            to) at the same time here.

                                            In my work for this blogging software company (major in our market) I
                                            will try to make it as easy for vlogging as possible. I want it to be
                                            up-to-date. I want it to be good for ant, good for whatever.

                                            I want people to be able to mob-log. And i want it to not only BE
                                            easy, but come across as easy. I want ads in national tv. I want
                                            coverage worldwide. I want to fast forward this process of
                                            videoblogging. Some people may disagree, and I respect that, but oh
                                            well.. :)

                                            Anyway, if you want to "invest" in me, I would love to hear from you.
                                            I cannot guarantee anything besides the fact that you will receive a
                                            20% interest rate per month. If i fail in this vlogging thing here in
                                            norway, I will work my butt of at this hospital or as a slave at a
                                            hotel or i dont care - but then at least when i get old i will be able
                                            to tell myself:

                                            I at least TRIED.

                                            Disclaimer: As before, I will continue to share. I have NOT changed my
                                            mind suddenly on free information, free access, and charging for the
                                            add-on components. I really really got inspired by ryanne's interview
                                            with the guy behind feedburner. Thank you SO much, Ryanne!
                                            I hope not too many of you will start hating me now that I will
                                            actually work for a blogging company that will be dealing within this
                                            Very same market. :)

                                            Best,

                                            Raymond M. Kristiansen
                                            videoblogging responsible, the first political vlogging youth
                                            organization in the World.
                                            http://dltq.blogs.com
                                            raymondmk at gmail dot com
                                          • Michael Sullivan
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Feb 26, 2005
                                              congrats. sounds like fun.

                                              On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 21:59:22 +0100, R. Kristiansen <raymondmk@...> wrote:

                                              > Details here: http://dltq.blogs.com/dltq/2005/02/yeah_i_got_a_jo.html
                                              >
                                              > additional comments:
                                              >
                                              > I really really believe we are on to something important. I want to
                                              > think business (because I have to) and non-business (because I want
                                              > to) at the same time here.
                                              >
                                              > In my work for this blogging software company (major in our market) I
                                              > will try to make it as easy for vlogging as possible. I want it to be
                                              > up-to-date. I want it to be good for ant, good for whatever.
                                              >
                                              > I want people to be able to mob-log. And i want it to not only BE
                                              > easy, but come across as easy. I want ads in national tv. I want
                                              > coverage worldwide. I want to fast forward this process of
                                              > videoblogging. Some people may disagree, and I respect that, but oh
                                              > well.. :)
                                              >
                                              > Anyway, if you want to "invest" in me, I would love to hear from you.
                                              > I cannot guarantee anything besides the fact that you will receive a
                                              > 20% interest rate per month. If i fail in this vlogging thing here in
                                              > norway, I will work my butt of at this hospital or as a slave at a
                                              > hotel or i dont care - but then at least when i get old i will be able
                                              > to tell myself:
                                              >
                                              > I at least TRIED.
                                              >
                                              > Disclaimer: As before, I will continue to share. I have NOT changed my
                                              > mind suddenly on free information, free access, and charging for the
                                              > add-on components. I really really got inspired by ryanne's interview
                                              > with the guy behind feedburner. Thank you SO much, Ryanne!
                                              > I hope not too many of you will start hating me now that I will
                                              > actually work for a blogging company that will be dealing within this
                                              > Very same market. :)
                                              >
                                              > Best,
                                              >
                                              > Raymond M. Kristiansen
                                              > videoblogging responsible, the first political vlogging youth
                                              > organization in the World.
                                              > http://dltq.blogs.com
                                              > raymondmk at gmail dot com

                                              ~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~
                                              i n t e r d i g i t a t e . c o m
                                              =====================
                                            • Michael Meiser
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Feb 28, 2005
                                                First of all I love it Steve. I want to see more, more, more! I have a
                                                feeling we'll all look back on this and realize how truly significant
                                                these "firsts" are.

                                                Warning, I write to mutch. If you even dare read this, you are brave
                                                and I thank you.

                                                A little perspective. One day in the not to distant future I will
                                                expect when I type any local politicians name into google that I will
                                                find not only a website and a blog, but video clips which they have
                                                created as a tool of communicating directly with their constituents. I
                                                will expect to hear their voice, see there face, and hear them talk
                                                about what they feel are the important points not what's framed by the
                                                big media, or worse yet not even discussed publicly at all. This will
                                                be an immediate and very human connection, more like a conversation on
                                                a phone than the mediated world we are use too.

                                                I believe that this expectation is something I can latch onto. It is
                                                very real, tangible, and will have tremendous political ramifications.
                                                Personally empowering and democratizing ramifications. With them will
                                                come the expectation that I can send an email, blog about, or make a
                                                phone call and expect that my questions and concerns are address and
                                                not lost on the wind.

                                                This is the same sort of expectation that is rapidly evolving that when
                                                I google a local band's name I can expect to find not only their
                                                website but at least one or two songs from their latest album. That if
                                                I punch in a videographer's name, I'll be able to find their
                                                promotional reel. I can expect that if I contact them, speak about
                                                them, play their song, or podcast their video in a blog, video blog or
                                                podcast, that I will get an honest response if only a thank you. These
                                                expectations will slowly shift into the more conservative area of
                                                politics.

                                                I can see right now and am inspired by the fact that I can connect with
                                                people in this way already, right now, though I never thought I would.
                                                That I might within only a few weeks of discovering some artist, some
                                                vlogger, or some creators of a piece of software that rocks my
                                                previously heavily mediated world... I would be having a lively
                                                conversation with them directly.

                                                Just months ago I would have asked myself why the author of a book like
                                                the Anarchist in The library, and NYU professor would bother to
                                                initiate a conversation with me regarding a post on my blog. Why a
                                                venture capitalist with 10's of millions of dollars in investment would
                                                respond to my blog post with an email, and I wouldn't have bothered to
                                                write an email to the creator of site like KongisKing suggesting they
                                                enable a RSS video cast feed, because I wouldn't have thought there was
                                                a chance of getting a response. (I've gotten no response yet. ;)

                                                These connections I haven't yet grasped, they shock me or at the least
                                                pleasantly surprise me, but nevertheless they're changing my
                                                perspectives and my expectations one at a time. What we're going
                                                through is an awakening of the spirit of the masses from a world that
                                                was once dominated by centralized broadcast media, to a media world
                                                where each may realize their value and place in proportion to the
                                                whole. From... a world where only a very few "professionals" had access
                                                and even then only very limited access. From... a world where an actor
                                                or actress might expect backlash if they voiced a political concern
                                                because it was outside of their "profession"... from a world where a
                                                news correspondent who dared use their privilege to reveal a bias might
                                                be fired... to a world where an 34 year old guy with no professional
                                                political experience can write the most influential political blog in
                                                the nation (DailyKos).

                                                Martin Luther King use to talk about going and preaching on the
                                                mountain. I like to think of that as a metaphor for daring to speak
                                                one's mind at the top of one's lungs for all to here. The difference is
                                                now, we all have an opportunity to be heard, and and opportunity to
                                                hear the whispering responses in the wind.

                                                These are profound changes in our media, with pro-found ramifications
                                                which I'll leave you to ponder as I'm been more than long winded
                                                enough. I will say that I've see time and again, that though we
                                                usually completely misunderstand the outcome. The outcome is often way
                                                more profound than we anticipated. Just look at the Tech Boom. We had
                                                people running around the revolution is at hand. Then we had people
                                                saying the show is over folks, it's all hype. And now we're doing
                                                things more amazing than we'd ever anticipated before 2001, things we
                                                never expected, what people are calling the real boom, the "tech
                                                bloom".

                                                As I like to say "The future is here, it's NOTHING that we expected and
                                                yet it's SO MUCH MORE."

                                                BTW, on a side note a friend contacted me today. I'd railed him about
                                                starting a video blog, and today he contacted me about setting up a
                                                weekly video-podcast for his pastor's sermons. A possible first
                                                video-god cast? Do we have any contenders? Let the race begin for the
                                                first video-casting preacher! :)

                                                > It will take time for politicians to find the right style to fit this
                                                > medium, and even then there are many political people who will never
                                                > feel confortable in front of a camera in the same way that most
                                                > scientists do not ooze charisma on stage like rockstars do.
                                                >
                                                > For example some party political broadcasts by the smaller parties in
                                                > the UK do more harm than good to the parties, because their lack
                                                > of "media training" and unease in front of camera makes them look
                                                > shifty in a sweaty Nixon sort of way.

                                                First, is anyone still reading?

                                                I think perceptions are going to change regarding the "professional
                                                aesthetic" as mass amatuerization of media occurs. We may even reach a
                                                point where "slick" professionalism receives backlash, certainly we'll
                                                reach a state of backlash against video bloggers, and the video
                                                blogging aesthetic because like blogging we're moving so fast. But,
                                                we'll win them over. :)

                                                These concepts of value of production will change. I've been following
                                                video blogging for only a couple moths and it's completely changed my
                                                expectations and the value I placed on so called professional aesthetic
                                                in production values. It's very similar to the debate going on over
                                                non-bias / objectivity in traditional media vs. the point-of-view of
                                                bloggers. They're different, but neither is better than the other. As
                                                it turns out the real value may not in objectivity but in trust,
                                                thoroughness, accuracy, and transparency.*

                                                *http://dangillmor.typepad.com/dan_gillmor_on_grassroots/2005/01/
                                                the_end_of_obje.html

                                                With this massive slow shift to democratize media will come shifts in
                                                other areas of culture happening simultaneously with politics. What
                                                I'm speaking about is basic literacy. I used to think of one of the
                                                most important and undervalue aspects of design as understanding
                                                "visual literacy" and "cultural literacy". You have to understand the
                                                "visual language" of a culture. There is fashion in visual language,
                                                but there is also a tremendous amount of symbolism, an ever evolving
                                                language. As a designer part of my job was to learn what kind of
                                                typography, symbols, shapes, colors and other elements of visual
                                                language were used in the industry / culture / market I talking to or
                                                about. For example a law firm would have a completely different set of
                                                visual queues than say PBS. Both would have a set of highly developed
                                                visual languages. Some people simply call this context, some rituals,
                                                but it's more than that, it's a language and wether conscious or not we
                                                participate in this linguistics.

                                                The point is that learning the language of moving images, or of audio
                                                broadcasting is just the same as reading and writing. I like to call it
                                                "media literacy". There is a linguistics involved and it takes a long
                                                time for people to become comfortable with and fluent in speaking in
                                                the language of these new mediums. Nixon's refusal of makeup in his
                                                televised presidential debate is a perfect example of this
                                                misunderstanding or underestimating of the language of moving images.
                                                Here we are at least 50 years into the broadcast media age and the news
                                                commentary following the Kerry / Bush debate was more obsessed than
                                                ever with the subtleties of this visual language. Not the content, but
                                                who "looked" better, or carried themselves better. They were more
                                                obsessed with appearances and perceptions than content. They were
                                                obsessed with a visual language that we have not fully become
                                                comfortable with. Once everyone gets used to seeing themselves on film
                                                and putting themselves on film these perceptions will change and our
                                                understanding and ability to talk about this visual language will
                                                almost certainly elevate the political debate or at least shift it back
                                                to more important things.

                                                It will take a long time before the masses to become comfortable with
                                                using audio and video as tools of conversation to engage directly in
                                                this mass cultural debate. I'm impressed with the speed with which this
                                                early adoption in blogging, audio podcasting, and now video podcasting
                                                is happening, it seems like the speed of light, perhaps it'll be merely
                                                a "speed bump". But a speed bump in history might be a "generation gap"
                                                of 10 or 20 years, and that would still be most most impressive. Let's
                                                remember that the number of blogs, even though it might be 4.1 million
                                                is only a tiny, tiny fraction of the population of the world, of the
                                                US, or even of those having access to tools that would let them blog,
                                                free tools I might ad. Only 21% of the online population even reads
                                                blogs yet, let alone have been comfortable enough to read blogs.** It's
                                                going to take a long time before the masses are comfortable enough to
                                                utilize these new media fluently.

                                                ** Stats from: http://www.itconversations.com/shows/detail313.html

                                                This larger cultural change where people not only gain access to these
                                                new rich-media / broadcast media but also become comfortable with
                                                utilizing it as a tool of mass conversation may take 10, 50 or even 100
                                                years before it reaches it's full potential. But I think some of the
                                                potentials we'll be able to see very quickly. By the time 2008 roles
                                                around video logs may be a completely ubiquitous tool. The norm among
                                                politicians on all levels if not from the state level on up.

                                                Politicians will definitely be skeptical after citing items such as
                                                Howard Dean's scream or Trent Lott's scandal, but these things will not
                                                slow their embrace of videoblogging. Not only will politicians learn
                                                rapidly from such mistakes, but they will realize that the value of
                                                their being able to connect to their constituents directly with their
                                                own message may actually the antidote, if not the one thing they can do
                                                to mitigate instances of snafu's with big media... a test bed for them
                                                to find out what the hot spots are, a chance for them to get feedback
                                                and learn how to speak the language of these mediums before being
                                                thrust in front of the harsh lights of mainstream media.

                                                Anyway, that's my opinion, my dream and hopefully there's some value to
                                                it for you all.

                                                -Mike

                                                Michael Meiser
                                                http://mmeiser.com/blog - fun stuff
                                                http://mmeiser.com/backchannel - serious lunacy stuff

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Feb 28, 2005
                                                  Nepal! I want to see that! Do let us know!

                                                  wrote:
> [...]

                                                  something I disagree with. Let's be frigging positive and see the
                                                  challenges as a good thing! We can do this. There is no God, there is
                                                  no big puppetmaster controlling the whole world (not even Bush has
                                                  that role), and there are way more opportunities now for improving
                                                  this fragile little world than ever through effective communication.

                                                  Example: Prakash, my friend from Nepal, just received his videocamera.
                                                  If he can videoblog without getting put in prison; SHOWING us how
                                                  things are Currently in Nepal, we can quote that, and I WILL be
                                                  confronting our ministry of foreign affairs on some issues.

                                                  > Im hoping to be totally wrong. <snip> let the peoples soul
                                                  > shine through!

                                                  Souls will shine. I will do whatever I can to prove you wrong. If you
                                                  are not wrong, we still can work at breaking those walls that

                                                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                                                • bottomunion
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Mar 1, 2005
                                                    Anyone else feel like Meiser shouldn't write on this site past
                                                    midnight? let alone 2:30 A.M?

                                                    BEAT

                                                    joke...he's long winded, but the man's got a lot to say, and with
                                                    enthusiasm that is addicting. Have to say that there are definitely
                                                    people who post here who I'm always clicking on to read what
                                                    they have to say, no matter how long or brief, and Meiser is one
                                                    of them. It's always interesting, well-thought/written, and always
                                                    full of excitement and anticipation.

                                                    Been thinking a ton about a person's contribution to this
                                                    community, each moving their own way, doing their own thing,
                                                    making things happen, which is why I've enjoyed this vlog
                                                    anarchy post...because this group and everyone involved in
                                                    blogging is in some way an anarchist, all working independently
                                                    towards some mutual goal, which is neither defined nor really
                                                    foreseeable...if only, maybe, change.

                                                    So I'm sitting over here across the great salty pond loving it all,
                                                    six hours ahead of Meiser...he's posted, and I'm having
                                                    breakfast, he's probably going to sleep (Does Meiser
                                                    sleep?)...anyway, just remarking on how beautiful everything
                                                    is...and did I just post this on a Boston City Councillor John
                                                    Tobin thread? Sorry Steve...Kick-ass work...

                                                    Nelson

                                                    --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Michael Meiser

                                                  • Michael Meiser
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Mar 1, 2005
                                                      Heh, if I didn't post at 2:30 in the morning, when else would I find
                                                      the time. :)

                                                      <groups-yahoo-com@m...> wrote:
> [...]
                                                      > their principals, but they seem to be a dying breed. Im less
                                                      > impressed with newer generations, not just politicians, nearly
                                                      all my
                                                      > heros are dead now lol. If I have a hope for videoblogging and
                                                      the
                                                      > net in general, its that it continues to live up to its potential and
                                                      > becomes the means that newer generations assert
                                                      themselves and break
                                                      > out of the plastic blandified corporotosphere, let the peoples
                                                      soul
                                                      > shine through!
                                                      >
                                                      > Oops sorry for the waffle, and my comments arent specifically
                                                      > directed at the examples of political videoblogs so far, I
                                                      comment
                                                      > these pioneering steps, just dont want to underestimate the
                                                      length of
                                                      > the path to change, and all the things that wont change along

                                                      Yahoo! Groups Links