Re: ourmedia

  • Steve Watkins
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 25, 2005
      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Weagel
      <humandog@c...> wrote:

      > Vloggercon was great in respect to meeting the people actually
      making
      > videoblogs and making some of the tools.
      > It wasn't great to see that most of the people in attendance didn't
      > make videoblogs and really have no intention of doing so.
      > But I don't really care. They don't matter.

      Thanks for the great reply, and same goes for the replies from
      Michael and Raymond too.

      I had no idea that many of the people at vloggercon arent/wont be
      making videoblogs. I thought I was the only one, and I only attended
      virtually anyway. I do continually feel ashamed/guilty and possibly
      fraudulent in a strange way for hanging round this group but not
      videoblogging yet.

      > I don't mean to sound harsh, and I fully understand that money and
      time
      > constraints are real.
      >
      > But if you, or anyone for that matter, really wants to do this, do
      it.
      > Just make a website.
      > Learn to shoot and edit video.
      >
      > I've been vlogging regularly for over a year and have never used
      any
      > kind of real blog software to do it.
      > I've learned to write my own RSS feed.
      >
      > You can too.

      Sometimes I wish my restraints were financial or technical, it would
      be easier to solve for me. I am some sort of idiot, Ive rented a
      dedicated server since december, and have spent stupid amounts of
      money on it so far. And then I proceeded not to put any content on
      it. Duh duh duh, what am I doing lol, some sort of creative block or
      something, psychological barrier wibble.

      So anyway ourmedia is certainly not something I can blame for my own
      lack of progress with videoblogging, but its certainly something Id
      like to see suceed, I guess I have a funny way of showing it.

      > And if you have the money, and really want to see ANT now, there is
      no
      > reason why you can't just give apple the cash.
      > They will give you the mac mini.
      > Trust me.

      How? Apples online store continually tells me 2-3 weeks till
      shipping, and the UK resellers I use also have no stock. So I assumed
      there were supply problems with the mini mac, am I wrong and it can
      actually be bought off the shelf from Apple stores right now?

      Cheers

      Steve of Elbows
    • Christopher Weagel
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 25, 2005
        Didn't realize you were in the UK.

        Here in the US, I've touched an actual mac mini at the apple store.
        Security quickly had me removed, but I'm assuming one could be
        purchased.

        They'll get to the UK eventually.

        Chris

        On Feb 25, 2005, at 9:38 AM, Steve Watkins wrote:

        > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Weagel
        > <humandog@c...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Vloggercon was great in respect to meeting the people actually
        > making
        > > videoblogs and making some of the tools.
        > > It wasn't great to see that most of the people in attendance didn't
        > > make videoblogs and really have no intention of doing so.
        > > But I don't really care. They don't matter.
        >
        > Thanks for the great reply, and same goes for the replies from
        > Michael and Raymond too.
        >
        > I had no idea that many of the people at vloggercon arent/wont be
        > making videoblogs. I thought I was the only one, and I only attended
        > virtually anyway. I do continually feel ashamed/guilty and possibly
        > fraudulent in a strange way for hanging round this group but not
        > videoblogging yet.
        >

        > > I don't mean to sound harsh, and I fully understand that money and
        > time
        > > constraints are real.
        > >
        > > But if you, or anyone for that matter, really wants to do this, do
        > it.
        > > Just make a website.
        > > Learn to shoot and edit video.
        > >
        > > I've been vlogging regularly for  over a year and have never used
        > any
        > > kind of real blog software to do it.
        > > I've learned to write my own RSS feed.
        > >
        > > You can too.
        > >

        > Sometimes I wish my restraints were financial or technical, it would
        > be easier to solve for me. I am some sort of idiot, Ive rented a
        > dedicated server since december, and have spent stupid amounts of
        > money on it so far. And then I proceeded not to put any content on
        > it. Duh duh duh, what am I doing lol, some sort of creative block or
        > something, psychological barrier wibble.
        >
        > So anyway ourmedia is certainly not something I can blame for my own
        > lack of progress with videoblogging, but its certainly something Id
        > like to see suceed, I guess I have a funny way of showing it.
        >
        > > And if you have the money, and really want to see ANT now, there is
        > no
        > > reason why you can't just give apple the cash.
        > > They will give you the mac mini.
        > > Trust me.
        >
        > How? Apples online store continually tells me 2-3 weeks till
        > shipping, and the UK resellers I use also have no stock. So I assumed
        > there were supply problems with the mini mac, am I wrong and it can
        > actually be bought off the shelf from Apple stores right now?
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > Steve of Elbows
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        > <22305_0205_016_b_300250_a.gif>
        > <l.gif>

        > Service.

      • Verdi
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 25, 2005
          I can't wait for Ourmedia to open it's doors. Personally, it was the
          whole password thing that's been a dealbreaker for me. I can't have
          people entering passwords to see a video. When It's open, I plan on
          testing it and sending people there. The biggest downer right now
          about using the internet archive is the 24 hours. By the time you go
          through everything you have to go through to get the videoblog done
          you just want to share it with everyone immediatly! The 24 hour wait
          is excruciating!

          -Verdi
        • Harold Johnson
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 27, 2005
            Hi Steve,

            Don't feel guilty; I haven't made a videoblog post yet either. Hang
            out and continue to contribute; you never know how you'll be able to
            assist the community, whether you're videoblogging or not.

            By the way, I virtually attended Vloggercon, too. I think I remember
            you - hello again!

            As for Ourmedia, I've been anticipating it and talking it up heavily
            for several weeks now. I used the username/password given out during
            Vloggercon and created a user account, but now I can't seem to login.
            I suppose I should contact Ourmedia directly. Has anyone else had
            problems logging in to the staging area?

            Harold J. Johnson
            http://SomethingthatHappened.com

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 27, 2005
              > As for Ourmedia, I've been anticipating it and talking it up heavily
              > for several weeks now. I used the username/password given out during
              > Vloggercon and created a user account, but now I can't seem to login.
              > I suppose I should contact Ourmedia directly. Has anyone else had
              > problems logging in to the staging area?

              Ourmedia is on full-effect.
              testing is still going on.
              its an incredibly complex project being wokred on by volunteers.
              the problem right now is the "last mile".
              little bugs.
              so no promise of a timeline...but i have faith.

              Jay
            • JD Lasica
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 28, 2005
                > Has anyone else had problems logging in to the staging area?

                We're now on http://ourmedia.org instead of staging.ourmedia.org.

                The log-in and password are the same (coming down in a few days):

                login: ourmedia
                password: 0urm3d14
                (a zero, not an O)

                Please do come on by and do some alpha testing -- check out the
                videos, dive into the Forums. It's all good (and it'll all remain
                intact when we go live.)

                Ping our moderators -- including Jay, Ryanne, Raymond, Thomas W. and
                Michael S. -- if you see anything wrong. :~) We're still ironing out
                the kinks, tho.

                jd lasica

                "Be the media."
              • Michael Sullivan
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 28, 2005
                  Also, if you do spot problems and report it... make mention of your
                  OS/Browser versions et all that good stuff.
                  thnx.
                  sull

                  On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 02:41:16 -0800, JD Lasica <jdlasica@...> wrote:

                  > > Has anyone else had problems logging in to the staging area?
                  >
                  > We're now on http://ourmedia.org instead of staging.ourmedia.org.
                  >
                  > The log-in and password are the same (coming down in a few days):
                  >
                  > login: ourmedia
                  > password: 0urm3d14
                  > (a zero, not an O)
                  >
                  > Please do come on by and do some alpha testing -- check out the
                  > videos, dive into the Forums. It's all good (and it'll all remain
                  > intact when we go live.)
                  >
                  > Ping our moderators -- including Jay, Ryanne, Raymond, Thomas W. and
                  > Michael S. -- if you see anything wrong. :~) We're still ironing out
                  > the kinks, tho.
                  >
                  > jd lasica
                  >
                  > "Be the media."

                  ~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~
                  i n t e r d i g i t a t e . c o m
                  =====================
                • Harold Johnson
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 28, 2005
                    Thanks, JD. I guess the ID I created at Ourmedia doesn't work, then?
                    I tested it on a Drupal site and it worked fine.

                    Harold

                    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 02:41:16 -0800, JD Lasica <jdlasica@...> wrote:
                    > > Has anyone else had problems logging in to the staging area?
                    >
                    > We're now on http://ourmedia.org instead of staging.ourmedia.org.
                    >
                    > The log-in and password are the same (coming down in a few days):
                    >
                    > login: ourmedia
                    > password: 0urm3d14
                    > (a zero, not an O)
                    >
                    > Please do come on by and do some alpha testing -- check out the
                    > videos, dive into the Forums. It's all good (and it'll all remain
                    > intact when we go live.)
                    >
                    > Ping our moderators -- including Jay, Ryanne, Raymond, Thomas W. and
                    > Michael S. -- if you see anything wrong. :~) We're still ironing out
                    > the kinks, tho.
                    >
                    > jd lasica
                    >
                    > "Be the media."
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  • Harold Johnson
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 28, 2005
                      It looks like once I'm logged in using the ourmedia/0urm3d14 login,
                      I'm able to login using the username/password combo I registered in
                      January. Coolness.

                      Harold

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 7, 2005
                        interesting news from JD.
                        http://www.ourmedia.org/node/26306

                        jay

                          That's great! ... Contratulations JD and OURMEDIA!!!!

                          On 7/7/05, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:
                          > interesting news from JD.
                          > http://www.ourmedia.org/node/26306
                          >
                          > jay