Re: [videoblogging] ourmedia

  • Michael Meiser
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 24, 2005
      I think it has everything to do with ourmedia being password protected.
      That's all.

      I saw people talk about the beta, but talk immediately faltered as did
      using it when people realized you had to log in to even watch a video.
      I think I even saw a few password prompts in ANT, that was it.

      I'm sure as soon as it becomes unpassworded it'll get tons of
      attention. I might recommend a better beta strategy of only allowing a
      set number of new accounts handed out or approved personally by the
      ourmedia staff, but with the whole site unpassword protected. I think
      this would be a far beta beta strategy as it would actually be useful.

      -Mike

      Michael Meiser
      http://mmeiser.com/blog - fun stuff
      http://mmeiser.com/backchannel - serious lunacy stuff

      On Feb 24, 2005, at 8:51 PM, Steve Watkins wrote:

      That NYT article ups the stakes in ourmedias race to exist and live
      up to expectations somewhat?

      I was a terrible cynic about ourmedia in the vloggercon chatroom,
      felt bad about it ever since and have been rooting for ourmedia to
      prove my negative fears wrong ever since.

      Hasnt happened yet. Have seen if anything a vast decrease in talk
      about ourmedia since vloggercon, have seen talk of the publishing
      tool being available within days of vloggercon come to nothing. Have
      seen people trying on ourmedia forums etc to get community to talk in
      detail about ourmedia and to test the thing in a big way, and get the
      momentum going, but these efforts have often been met with the
      hideous sound of silence.

      Am I even talking only about ourmedia, or has there been some sort of
      post vloggercon rut in any other lovely dreamy->reality areas of
      videoblogging since vloggercon? Am I imagining that there has been
      less videoblogs and less talk from plenty of people since vloggercon?

      Who am I to criticise, I havent even managed a videoblog yet, I
      appear to be good for nothing but strong opinions and stating the
      obvious or scaremongering/being a right downer?

      I just want to talk about the untalkable, or to play the devils
      advocate and hope that my banshee screams of woe make people more
      useful than I step up to the plate and help ourmedia turn the dream
      (and dare I say the hype) into a strong and genuinely community-
      driven reality within the timescale thats needed to avoid gits like
      me starting to use dreaded terms like vapourware?

      ANTs been the most joyous positive-sounding development recently, but
      poor old feeling sorry for myself whingey me cant even relish in
      those wonders because Apple still havent been able to turn their mini
      mac hype into a product I can actually purchase and own right now yet!

      Im a dreamer too really. My dream is that there are wonderful humans
      who can convert my negative observational energy into something
      positive. Rise up ourmedia, make me a fool by proving me wrong, or at
      the very least keep the dream alive :)

      Cheers

      Elbows of Steve

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Christopher Weagel
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 24, 2005
        Steve

        I haven't bothered with OurMedia because when I did look at it after
        the con, it somehow looked like more of a mess than the internet
        archive and CC publisher.

        I don't know what I'm going to do storage wise for the future. For the
        moment, I do know that using my own server etc is the easiest way for
        me to continue making and posting videos. I have posted as regularly as
        I did before the con, but still have lots of video from that weekend as
        well as other stuff, I haven't had a chance to work with.

        I don't know enough yet to make videos I store on OurMedia/archive to
        look and feel like how I want most of my work to appear.
        Control is very important. For the works I provide only through my feed
        to appear in ANT, the archive and CC publisher have worked.

        I only have so much time, and at the moment I want to devote it to
        making the video.

        Vloggercon was great in respect to meeting the people actually making
        videoblogs and making some of the tools.
        It wasn't great to see that most of the people in attendance didn't
        make videoblogs and really have no intention of doing so.
        But I don't really care. They don't matter.

        I don't mean to sound harsh, and I fully understand that money and time
        constraints are real.

        But if you, or anyone for that matter, really wants to do this, do it.
        Just make a website.
        Learn to shoot and edit video.

        I've been vlogging regularly for over a year and have never used any
        kind of real blog software to do it.
        I've learned to write my own RSS feed.

        You can too.

        And if you have the money, and really want to see ANT now, there is no
        reason why you can't just give apple the cash.
        They will give you the mac mini.
        Trust me.

        You're worried that people haven't been making enough video or using
        Our Media enough since the con?

        Then make some video and use Our Media.

        One more person will be vlogging and using Our Media.

        Chris
        www.human-dog.com

        On Feb 24, 2005, at 8:51 PM, Steve Watkins wrote:

        > Who am I to criticise, I havent even managed a videoblog yet, I
        > appear to be good for nothing but strong opinions and stating the
        > obvious or scaremongering/being a right downer?
        >
        > I just want to talk about the untalkable, or to play the devils
        > advocate and hope that my banshee screams of woe make people more
        > useful than I step up to the plate and help ourmedia turn the dream
        > (and dare I say the hype) into a strong and genuinely community-
        > driven reality within the timescale thats needed to avoid gits like
        > me starting to use dreaded terms like vapourware?
        >
        > ANTs been the most joyous positive-sounding development recently, but
        > poor old feeling sorry for myself whingey me cant even relish in
        > those wonders because Apple still havent been able to turn their mini
        > mac hype into a product I can actually purchase and own right now yet!
      • R. Kristiansen
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 24, 2005
          On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 21:48:16 -0500, Christopher Weagel
          <humandog@...> wrote:
          > I only have so much time, and at the moment I want to devote it to
          > making the video.

          yupyup! things are getting heated here in Norway. will keep you all updated.

          ***
          ourmedia will become prime time. i just guess it takes far more time
          to get there than what we expected in the beginning. launch day keeps
          being around the corner..

          i am one of the people who have read the mails coming in to
          info@... (i am, along with a few others, content moderator on
          ourmedia) and I have answered as many as I could. There are Loads of
          people interested in this project. Loads of school teachers,
          independent video producers, etcetc.

          Marc Canter does the evangelizing ++. JD Lasica and others are working
          on help pages and the coding. Ourmedia the concept wont die. Ourmedia
          the product will emerge.

          raymond
        • Steve Watkins
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 25, 2005
            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Weagel
            <humandog@c...> wrote:

            > Vloggercon was great in respect to meeting the people actually
            making
            > videoblogs and making some of the tools.
            > It wasn't great to see that most of the people in attendance didn't
            > make videoblogs and really have no intention of doing so.
            > But I don't really care. They don't matter.

            Thanks for the great reply, and same goes for the replies from
            Michael and Raymond too.

            I had no idea that many of the people at vloggercon arent/wont be
            making videoblogs. I thought I was the only one, and I only attended
            virtually anyway. I do continually feel ashamed/guilty and possibly
            fraudulent in a strange way for hanging round this group but not
            videoblogging yet.

            > I don't mean to sound harsh, and I fully understand that money and
            time
            > constraints are real.
            >
            > But if you, or anyone for that matter, really wants to do this, do
            it.
            > Just make a website.
            > Learn to shoot and edit video.
            >
            > I've been vlogging regularly for over a year and have never used
            any
            > kind of real blog software to do it.
            > I've learned to write my own RSS feed.
            >
            > You can too.

            Sometimes I wish my restraints were financial or technical, it would
            be easier to solve for me. I am some sort of idiot, Ive rented a
            dedicated server since december, and have spent stupid amounts of
            money on it so far. And then I proceeded not to put any content on
            it. Duh duh duh, what am I doing lol, some sort of creative block or
            something, psychological barrier wibble.

            So anyway ourmedia is certainly not something I can blame for my own
            lack of progress with videoblogging, but its certainly something Id
            like to see suceed, I guess I have a funny way of showing it.

            > And if you have the money, and really want to see ANT now, there is
            no
            > reason why you can't just give apple the cash.
            > They will give you the mac mini.
            > Trust me.

            How? Apples online store continually tells me 2-3 weeks till
            shipping, and the UK resellers I use also have no stock. So I assumed
            there were supply problems with the mini mac, am I wrong and it can
            actually be bought off the shelf from Apple stores right now?

            Cheers

            Steve of Elbows
          • Christopher Weagel
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 25, 2005
              Didn't realize you were in the UK.

              Here in the US, I've touched an actual mac mini at the apple store.
              Security quickly had me removed, but I'm assuming one could be
              purchased.

              They'll get to the UK eventually.

              Chris

              On Feb 25, 2005, at 9:38 AM, Steve Watkins wrote:

              > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Weagel
              > <humandog@c...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Vloggercon was great in respect to meeting the people actually
              > making
              > > videoblogs and making some of the tools.
              > > It wasn't great to see that most of the people in attendance didn't
              > > make videoblogs and really have no intention of doing so.
              > > But I don't really care. They don't matter.
              >
              > Thanks for the great reply, and same goes for the replies from
              > Michael and Raymond too.
              >
              > I had no idea that many of the people at vloggercon arent/wont be
              > making videoblogs. I thought I was the only one, and I only attended
              > virtually anyway. I do continually feel ashamed/guilty and possibly
              > fraudulent in a strange way for hanging round this group but not
              > videoblogging yet.
              >

              > > I don't mean to sound harsh, and I fully understand that money and
              > time
              > > constraints are real.
              > >
              > > But if you, or anyone for that matter, really wants to do this, do
              > it.
              > > Just make a website.
              > > Learn to shoot and edit video.
              > >
              > > I've been vlogging regularly for  over a year and have never used
              > any
              > > kind of real blog software to do it.
              > > I've learned to write my own RSS feed.
              > >
              > > You can too.
              > >

              > Sometimes I wish my restraints were financial or technical, it would
              > be easier to solve for me. I am some sort of idiot, Ive rented a
              > dedicated server since december, and have spent stupid amounts of
              > money on it so far. And then I proceeded not to put any content on
              > it. Duh duh duh, what am I doing lol, some sort of creative block or
              > something, psychological barrier wibble.
              >
              > So anyway ourmedia is certainly not something I can blame for my own
              > lack of progress with videoblogging, but its certainly something Id
              > like to see suceed, I guess I have a funny way of showing it.
              >
              > > And if you have the money, and really want to see ANT now, there is
              > no
              > > reason why you can't just give apple the cash.
              > > They will give you the mac mini.
              > > Trust me.
              >
              > How? Apples online store continually tells me 2-3 weeks till
              > shipping, and the UK resellers I use also have no stock. So I assumed
              > there were supply problems with the mini mac, am I wrong and it can
              > actually be bought off the shelf from Apple stores right now?
              >
              > Cheers
              >
              > Steve of Elbows
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              > <22305_0205_016_b_300250_a.gif>
              > <l.gif>

              > Service.

            • Verdi
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 25, 2005
                I can't wait for Ourmedia to open it's doors. Personally, it was the
                whole password thing that's been a dealbreaker for me. I can't have
                people entering passwords to see a video. When It's open, I plan on
                testing it and sending people there. The biggest downer right now
                about using the internet archive is the 24 hours. By the time you go
                through everything you have to go through to get the videoblog done
                you just want to share it with everyone immediatly! The 24 hour wait
                is excruciating!

                -Verdi
              • Harold Johnson
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 27, 2005
                  Hi Steve,

                  Don't feel guilty; I haven't made a videoblog post yet either. Hang
                  out and continue to contribute; you never know how you'll be able to
                  assist the community, whether you're videoblogging or not.

                  By the way, I virtually attended Vloggercon, too. I think I remember
                  you - hello again!

                  As for Ourmedia, I've been anticipating it and talking it up heavily
                  for several weeks now. I used the username/password given out during
                  Vloggercon and created a user account, but now I can't seem to login.
                  I suppose I should contact Ourmedia directly. Has anyone else had
                  problems logging in to the staging area?

                  Harold J. Johnson
                  http://SomethingthatHappened.com

                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 27, 2005
                    > As for Ourmedia, I've been anticipating it and talking it up heavily
                    > for several weeks now. I used the username/password given out during
                    > Vloggercon and created a user account, but now I can't seem to login.
                    > I suppose I should contact Ourmedia directly. Has anyone else had
                    > problems logging in to the staging area?

                    Ourmedia is on full-effect.
                    testing is still going on.
                    its an incredibly complex project being wokred on by volunteers.
                    the problem right now is the "last mile".
                    little bugs.
                    so no promise of a timeline...but i have faith.

                    Jay
                  • JD Lasica
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 28, 2005
                      > Has anyone else had problems logging in to the staging area?

                      We're now on http://ourmedia.org instead of staging.ourmedia.org.

                      The log-in and password are the same (coming down in a few days):

                      login: ourmedia
                      password: 0urm3d14
                      (a zero, not an O)

                      Please do come on by and do some alpha testing -- check out the
                      videos, dive into the Forums. It's all good (and it'll all remain
                      intact when we go live.)

                      Ping our moderators -- including Jay, Ryanne, Raymond, Thomas W. and
                      Michael S. -- if you see anything wrong. :~) We're still ironing out
                      the kinks, tho.

                      jd lasica

                      "Be the media."
                    • Michael Sullivan
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 28, 2005
                        Also, if you do spot problems and report it... make mention of your
                        OS/Browser versions et all that good stuff.
                        thnx.
                        sull

                        On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 02:41:16 -0800, JD Lasica <jdlasica@...> wrote:

                        > > Has anyone else had problems logging in to the staging area?
                        >
                        > We're now on http://ourmedia.org instead of staging.ourmedia.org.
                        >
                        > The log-in and password are the same (coming down in a few days):
                        >
                        > login: ourmedia
                        > password: 0urm3d14
                        > (a zero, not an O)
                        >
                        > Please do come on by and do some alpha testing -- check out the
                        > videos, dive into the Forums. It's all good (and it'll all remain
                        > intact when we go live.)
                        >
                        > Ping our moderators -- including Jay, Ryanne, Raymond, Thomas W. and
                        > Michael S. -- if you see anything wrong. :~) We're still ironing out
                        > the kinks, tho.
                        >
                        > jd lasica
                        >
                        > "Be the media."

                        ~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~
                        i n t e r d i g i t a t e . c o m
                        =====================
                      • Harold Johnson
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 28, 2005
                          Thanks, JD. I guess the ID I created at Ourmedia doesn't work, then?
                          I tested it on a Drupal site and it worked fine.

                          Harold

                          On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 02:41:16 -0800, JD Lasica <jdlasica@...> wrote:
                          > > Has anyone else had problems logging in to the staging area?
                          >
                          > We're now on http://ourmedia.org instead of staging.ourmedia.org.
                          >
                          > The log-in and password are the same (coming down in a few days):
                          >
                          > login: ourmedia
                          > password: 0urm3d14
                          > (a zero, not an O)
                          >
                          > Please do come on by and do some alpha testing -- check out the
                          > videos, dive into the Forums. It's all good (and it'll all remain
                          > intact when we go live.)
                          >
                          > Ping our moderators -- including Jay, Ryanne, Raymond, Thomas W. and
                          > Michael S. -- if you see anything wrong. :~) We're still ironing out
                          > the kinks, tho.
                          >
                          > jd lasica
                          >
                          > "Be the media."
                          >

                          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        • Harold Johnson
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 28, 2005
                            It looks like once I'm logged in using the ourmedia/0urm3d14 login,
                            I'm able to login using the username/password combo I registered in
                            January. Coolness.

                            Harold

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 7, 2005
                              interesting news from JD.
                              http://www.ourmedia.org/node/26306

                              jay

                                That's great! ... Contratulations JD and OURMEDIA!!!!

                                On 7/7/05, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:
                                > interesting news from JD.
                                > http://www.ourmedia.org/node/26306
                                >
                                > jay