Advice about Lavalier mike

  • Kfir Pravda
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2007
      Following Kent's advice on the importance of audio, I am looking for an
      affordable leveler microphone. I bought some audio equipment in the past,
      and got a bit burned with buying things that were not exactly what I need.

      For a set of a news room, outdoor interview and such, I thought of buying
      the following microphone: AUDIO TECHNICA ATR-35S Lavalier Microphone

      It is relatively cheap, wireless is not a must, and I read good reviews
      about it.

      Did anyone here buy this microphone? Do you have any other recommendation
      for a lavalier microphone?

      Thanks!

      Kfir Pravda

      E: <mailto:kfir@...> kfir@...

      Blog: www.pravdam.com

    • Bill Cammack
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2007
        Any "Lav" will do, especially if you're using noise reduction before
        final output. The only goal is for the mic to pick up the subject's
        sound without picking up too much (or hopefully any) of the other
        person's sound so there's no 'bleed' between the channels.

        Make sure there's enough play in the cable so the subject doesn't pull
        on it, causing the mic to move, introducing obvious noises into your
        audio.

        MOST importantly, monitor the audio with headphones AFTER the final
        output. If you have two mics plugged into a mixer plugged into a
        miniDV camera, attach your headphones to the *camera*, not to the
        mixer. You want to know EXACTLY what's going on tape.

        That's because the mics are VERY sensitive to movement, which you
        won't hear through the air. Movement of a lapel, playing with a tie,
        putting a hand over the mic... It won't mean anything to you,
        listening through the air, but when you try to edit, you'll wonder
        where all that annoying "scratching" came from.

        --
        Bill
        http://billcammack.com

        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Kfir Pravda" <kpravda@...> wrote:

        > Following Kent's advice on the importance of audio, I am looking for an
        > affordable leveler microphone. I bought some audio equipment in the
        past,
        > and got a bit burned with buying things that were not exactly what I
        need.

        > For a set of a news room, outdoor interview and such, I thought of
        buying
        > the following microphone: AUDIO TECHNICA ATR-35S Lavalier Microphone
        >
        > It is relatively cheap, wireless is not a must, and I read good reviews
        > about it.
        >
        > Did anyone here buy this microphone? Do you have any other
        recommendation
        > for a lavalier microphone?
        >

        > Thanks!
        >

        > Kfir Pravda
        >
        > E: <mailto:kfir@...> kfir@...
        >
        > Blog: www.pravdam.com

      • bordercollieaustralianshepherd
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2007
          Hey Kfir

          In case you are ordering that lav online or by phone, it is not
          wireless. It has a cord/cable. Good mic for under $50.00 (US).

          There is good info if you search the messages.

          Under $100.00 the choices are few. $100 - $500 and you have a better
          selection.

          The other day I was looking for an answer and ran across this company
          Gemini Sound (geminidj.com), they do DJ gear.

          Some of the options
          Gemini - <http://www.geminidj.com/ux16.html>
          Nady - <http://www.nadypro.com/cat_wireless_microphone.cfm>
          Shure - <http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Products/index.htm>
          Azden - <http://www.azdencorp.com/shop/customer/home.php?cat=29>
          Sennheiser -
          <http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/category.asp?transid=cat50>
          AKG - <http://www.akg.com/>
          Telex - <http://www.telex.com/>

          Big tip - You want more than one channel. Deciding between UHF/VHF
          will depend on where you will use it most often.
          UHF is good if you are in several different cities. You or others
          around you will have more wireless mics on at the same time or there
          is a lot of radio signals around (stations, dispatching etc)
          VHF is cheaper but the down side is every one likes cheap, so you may
          have others on your same freq. TV signals and other stuff is on VHF
          too so cities and towns (metro areas) are not the best place for VHF.
          If you are out in the country or suburbs there might be less interference.

          Used is a good option.

          If you locate a good source (ebay is always worth a shot) look for a
          deal on a wireless system with a Lavalier and a handheld mic. You will
          be glad you have it.

          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Kfir Pravda" <kpravda@...> wrote:

          > Following Kent's advice on the importance of audio, I am looking for an
          > affordable leveler microphone. I bought some audio equipment in the
          past,
          > and got a bit burned with buying things that were not exactly what I
          need.

          > For a set of a news room, outdoor interview and such, I thought of
          buying
          > the following microphone: AUDIO TECHNICA ATR-35S Lavalier Microphone
          >
          > It is relatively cheap, wireless is not a must, and I read good reviews
          > about it.
          >
          > Did anyone here buy this microphone? Do you have any other
          recommendation
          > for a lavalier microphone?
          >

          > Thanks!
          >

          > Kfir Pravda
          >
          > E: <mailto:kfir@...> kfir@...
          >
          > Blog: www.pravdam.com

        • Kfir Pravda
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2, 2007
            Thanks a lot guys for your help!

            Kfir Pravda

            Blog: www.pravdam.com

            On Behalf Of bordercollieaustralianshepherd
            Sent: Monday, October 01, 2007 15:06
            To: videoblogging@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: [videoblogging] Re: Advice about Lavalier mike

            <mailto:videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com> , "Kfir Pravda" <kpravda@...>
            wrote:

            > Following Kent's advice on the importance of audio, I am looking for an
            > affordable leveler microphone. I bought some audio equipment in the
            past,
            > and got a bit burned with buying things that were not exactly what I
            need.

            > For a set of a news room, outdoor interview and such, I thought of
            buying
            > the following microphone: AUDIO TECHNICA ATR-35S Lavalier Microphone
            >
            > It is relatively cheap, wireless is not a must, and I read good reviews
            > about it.
            >
            > Did anyone here buy this microphone? Do you have any other
            recommendation
            > for a lavalier microphone?
            >

            > Thanks!
            >

            > Kfir Pravda
            >
            > E: <mailto:kfir@...> kfir@...
            >
            > Blog: www.pravdam.com

          • mattfeldman78
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 2, 2007
              You can also rent these very cheap at equipment houses.