Re: Xacti E1 Work Flow Suggestions?

  • Stan Hirson, Sarah Jones
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2007
      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Jay dedman" <jay.dedman@...> wrote:

      > > I just bought and tried an Xacti E1. The shooting experience was mixed
      > > and I plan to do more, but editing has been hideous. I transferred
      > > the H.264 files onto my Mac PowerBook, but from there on it has been
      > > render hell and I have had no luck getting material into my version
      > > (4.5) of FCP. iMovie will bring in material after I render it and
      > > then it wants to render again on export.
      > > I MUST be doing something wrong!
      > > Any advice from those who have been using them?
      >
      > you got to use Compressor to batch all your clips to DV.
      > FCP wont play nice with the Sanyo clips (or really any clips that
      > arent what FCP wants).
      >
      > you arent doing anything wrong.
      >
      > Jay

      Thanks. I just could not get my version of Compessor to batch the
      Sanyo H.264 clips to DV for FCP. I finally got VisualHub, the GUI
      for a lot of open source software and it worked out really well.

      My workflow now is to download the Sanyo files onto my Mac and then
      batch convert to .dv files with VisualHub. I check off the box that
      makes them FCP compatible. That saves the step of rendering the audio
      tracks in FCP. The conversion with VisualHub works well and is
      seamless. I have not noticed any loss of quality. I could not load
      VisualHub on one of my machines due to registration issues, but the
      tech support was very helpful... I just could not afford the time
      thrashing things out.

      All in all, I have found the E1 very useful. At first, I just could
      not hold it steady. I turned off the stabilization system and I
      rigged up a weight to lower the center of gravity. That solved the
      steadiness problem.

      The viewfinder seems to attract reflections in sunlight, so I ordered
      dulling spray to tone down reflections. Waiting for UPS. I found it
      helped to turn the brightness control of the finder all the way down.
      Still, it is impossible to zoom during a shot. The controls are too
      small and close together.

      I have incorporated some Xacti videos in a new vlog and if people are
      curious I'll put up some links. I think it is worthwhile to have a
      camera that I can carry in a pocket and takes really good quality
      video. There are tade-off, but I am glad I have it. Most important, I
      find I really use it.

      Stan Hirson
      http://hestakaup.com