Re: [videoblogging] Re: If you conduct interviews, I would like your opinion

  • Irina
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 31 11:27 PM
      hi ed
      someone prolly already mentioned it
      but justin case
      there is the learning center at blip
      in my episode i discuss interview skills and there are many others
      thanks!
      irina

      --
      http://geekentertainment.tv

    • Ed Smith
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 1, 2007
        Hi Irina, thanks for that info, I did not know about the learning center, I
        thought they had some good tips, I know I learned something in that I have a
        number of different vids on youtube, but the "sample" pic always looks the
        same, so even though I have them numbered, they do look like they are all
        the same.

        Could you please send me a link to the episode in which you discuss
        interview skills, I would like to see it.

        OK, thanks again Irina
        Edward W. Smith http://www.conductknockoutbroadcastinterviews.com/blog/

        On 9/1/07, Irina <irinaski@...> wrote:

        > hi ed
        > someone prolly already mentioned it
        > but justin case
        > there is the learning center at blip
        > in my episode i discuss interview skills and there are many others
        > thanks!
        > irina
        >
        > --
        > http://geekentertainment.tv

      • Irina
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 1, 2007
          here's all of us
          http://blip.tv/learning/veterans/

          http://geekentertainment.tv

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 2, 2007
            Thanks Irina, I will work my way through them all, looks like good stuff,
            thanks again, Ed.

            On 9/1/07, Irina <irinaski@...> wrote:

            > here's all of us
            > http://blip.tv/learning/veterans/
            >
            > On 9/1/07, Ed Smith <edd666666@... <edd666666%40gmail.com>> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Irina, thanks for that info, I did not know about the learning
            > > center, I
            > > thought they had some good tips, I know I learned something in that I
            > have
            > > number of different vids on youtube, but the "sample" pic always looks
            > the
            > > same, so even though I have them numbered, they do look like they are
            > all
            > > the same.
            > >
            > > Could you please send me a link to the episode in which you discuss
            > > interview skills, I would like to see it.
            > >
            > > OK, thanks again Irina
            > > Edward W. Smith http://www.conductknockoutbroadcastinterviews.com/blog/
            > >

            > > On 9/1/07, Irina <irinaski@... <irinaski%40gmail.com><irinaski%40gmail.com>> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > hi ed
            > > > someone prolly already mentioned it
            > > > but justin case
            > > > there is the learning center at blip
            > > > in my episode i discuss interview skills and there are many others
            > > > thanks!
            > > > irina
            > > >
            > > > --
            > > > http://geekentertainment.tv

            > http://geekentertainment.tv

          • Robert Scoble
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 2, 2007
              I've interviewed many of tech's biggest names (Gates, Schwartz, Chambers,
              Ballmer, etc) for my video show, ScobleShow.com.

              Some things I've learned:

              1) Don't go for "gotcha" questions. These people all are very astute at
              answering questions (at Microsoft they prepare execs for the press by doing
              "rude Q&A" sessions). They'll turn your rudest question into something they
              want to ask. That strategy never works and usually ensures you won't be
              invited back.

              2) Instead, ask at least one question they've never been asked before.
              With Gates I knew he'd been asked any question I could come up with so I
              turned it around: asked him what he'd ask the world's richest guy if he were
              in my position.

              3) Do your homework. Know what your interviewee will probably say
              BEFORE he/she says it.

              4) Listen. My best questions came AFTER they said something and I asked
              for more in depth. Best followup? "Why do you say that?"

              5) If you hear jargon ask them to clarify. Often times this brings up
              some interesting stuff. For instance, if I were interviewing Marc
              Zuckerberg, founder of Facebook, and he talked about "the social graph" I'd
              ask "some of my listeners don't know what you mean by 'social graph', can
              you give us a short definition and explain what you mean by that?"

              6) Have a thesis for the interview. If you interview someone
              interesting there are 100 ways you could take the interview. I'd focus it on
              one theme and try to get them to tell a story with your questions. Lead them
              down a path. If you're asking Gates about how he took over the operating
              system business, for instance, I'd ask him a question about his high
              school/college experience, then early days at Microsoft, then ask about the
              DOS purchase, etc etc.

              7) Have an outline of questions to ask, particularly if you'll be
              nervous. With Gates I started out very nervous, but then I calmed down and
              my brain started working again. That's when you can start having a
              conversation and not just going off of your prepared questions.

              8) Listen, listen, listen. I always look my interviewer in the eyes and
              try to give them 110% of my attention. That leads to a better interview.
              When I'm distracted or not totally focused for some reason I find interviews
              don't get as interesting.

              9) Start out with stupider questions just to get you both going. That's
              why I ask EVERY INTERVIEW "who are you?" and "what do you do?" Those two
              questions aren't really all that important, but they both get us going and
              also give your heart a chance to calm down (if you're interviewing someone
              famous) and also get you into the listening mode. Often times people will
              say something interesting in response to the "what do you do?" question.
              John Chambers, CEO at Cisco, for instance, talked about his being a father.
              That opened up a part of his life that makes for great conversations.

              10) Listen, listen, listen. It's amazing when I listen to podcasts and I
              can tell the interviewer isn't really listening and isn't asking for
              clarification of jargon, or more depth on something really interesting that
              was put on the table. "Can you explain more about what you mean by that?" I
              really hate it when an interviewer is clearly NOT having a conversation and,
              rather, only has 10 questions that were prepared and is rushing to get
              through those. Use your prepared questions as a guideline, or a way to start
              a conversation but DO NOT be a slave to them. That's the quickest way to a
              boring interview that sounds stiff and stupid. (out of 600 interviews I've
              done I've only gone into two with prepared questions for just that reason).
              PR people, by the way, will ask for your questions in advance. I always
              answer that I don't prepare questions in advance, but will give them some
              examples of things I'd like to talk about. Again, talk about themes, not
              specifics. "I'd like to talk with Steve Jobs about the development of the
              iPhone and the design process that led to that."

              Hope these help you with your questions.

              Robert

            • Ed Smith
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 3, 2007
                Hi Robert, wow, what a great list of things to do/not do in order to conduct
                a knockout interview. You really hit on some good stuff there. I like the
                point of clarifying jargon with the point of view of the listener in mind.
                You see that missed so many times I know we all need to hear that again and
                again.

                I just added a post to the
                http://www.conductknockoutbroadcastinterviews.com/blog/ that suggests we
                move our dress code up a notch when doing interviews that the guest and/or
                listeners will not see. I think our dress affects our performance in subtle
                ways and will help us focus on the things you have suggested.

                OK, Robert, thanks for that great info, and please continue to offer
                suggestions, comments, etc.

                Edward W. Smith.

                On 9/2/07, Robert Scoble <robertscoble@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > and,
                > rather, only has 10 questions that were prepared and is rushing to get
                > through those. Use your prepared questions as a guideline, or a way to
                > start
                > a conversation but DO NOT be a slave to them. That's the quickest way to a
                > boring interview that sounds stiff and stupid. (out of 600 interviews I've
                > done I've only gone into two with prepared questions for just that
                > reason).
                > PR people, by the way, will ask for your questions in advance. I always
                > answer that I don't prepare questions in advance, but will give them some
                > examples of things I'd like to talk about. Again, talk about themes, not
                > specifics. "I'd like to talk with Steve Jobs about the development of the
                > iPhone and the design process that led to that."
                >
                > Hope these help you with your questions.

              • jonny goldstein
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 4, 2007
                  One of the most important things is to really enjoy interviewing
                  people. Be happy to be there. Your subject will sense that and loosen
                  up. You may be nervous (a la Scoble interviewing Gates) but if you are
                  genuinely interested in what that person has to say and are excited
                  about having the chance to find out their story, your subject will
                  respond to that.

                  --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Smith" <edd666666@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > start
                  > > a conversation but DO NOT be a slave to them. That's the quickest
                  way to a
                  > > boring interview that sounds stiff and stupid. (out of 600
                  interviews I've
                  > > done I've only gone into two with prepared questions for just that
                  > > reason).
                  > > PR people, by the way, will ask for your questions in advance. I
                  always
                  > > answer that I don't prepare questions in advance, but will give
                  them some
                  > > examples of things I'd like to talk about. Again, talk about
                  themes, not
                  > > specifics. "I'd like to talk with Steve Jobs about the development
                  of the
                  > > iPhone and the design process that led to that."
                  > >
                  > > Hope these help you with your questions.

                • Ed Smith
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 4, 2007
                    Hi Jonny, thanks for that comment, I couldn't agree with you more, and
                    really wish more of the hosts out there would really be "into" their
                    guests. I just put a post on my blog
                    http://www.conductknockoutbroadcastinterviews.com/blog/ that touches on this
                    issue. I single out Ms. Paula Zahn as an example of a host who time after
                    time, seems to ignore her guests, run over them, or not be interested in
                    them. OK, Jonny, thanks again for your solid advice, Edward Smith.