Re: Welcome to Youtube - racist comments

  • terry.rendon
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 2, 2007
      Hello Mark,

      Just wondering why you decided not to delete the comments?

      Terry Rendon
      http://www.terryannonline.com
      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "caminofilm" <caminofilm@...>
      wrote:

      > I've been active on youtube over the last month and have had two of my
      > videos featured in the travel and places category, My Byron Bay vid
      > and my currently featured Canberra Story on the Aboriginal Tent
      Embassy.

      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abMlHjO2nh4
      >
      > I got to say I am sickened by the racist comments people have made
      > with regard to the Tent Embassy. I was going to wipe them all, but
      > decided against it.
      >
      > How have other people found the youtube 'community' Is this just
      > something I have to accept?
      >
      > Mark

    • Mark Shea
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 2, 2007
        Hi Terry

        I posted this comment 3 days ago:

        I'm a bit disappointed with some of the racist comments people have made with regard to my video. I could remove them, but I won't, because I think many are indicative of race relations in Australia. I accept and give credence to the democratic nature of youtube, where everyone has the right to comment, but ask that people think about whether they would be willing to make their comments, in front of a group of Aboriginal AFL footballers?
        It is easy to be brave behind the safety of a keyboard.

        I think people need to stand by what they say, I notice some of these racists seem to be trollers, posting such comments in various places.

        I wonder if we will ever see a defamation case on youtube? We don't have the same 'freedom of speech' amendment here in Oz.

        Mark

        "terry.rendon" <terry.rendon@...> wrote: Hello Mark,

        wrote:

        > I've been active on youtube over the last month and have had two of my
        > videos featured in the travel and places category, My Byron Bay vid
        > and my currently featured Canberra Story on the Aboriginal Tent
        Embassy.

        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abMlHjO2nh4
        >
        > I got to say I am sickened by the racist comments people have made
        > with regard to the Tent Embassy. I was going to wipe them all, but
        > decided against it.
        >
        > How have other people found the youtube 'community' Is this just
        > something I have to accept?
        >
        > Mark

      • Richard (Show) Hall
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 2, 2007
          Mark,

          Yes, this is common in my experience, and I would say just delete them.

          My personal opinion is that the advantages of exposing these sorts of
          things, is out-weighed by the disadvantage of giving these people a
          platform.

          My most popular video on you tube was one I made about Amanda Congdon.

          It is cool because it has about 30,000 views, which isn't very impressive by
          youtube standards, but very impressive by Richard Show standards

          On my vlog I got supporting and positive comments, and on you tube the
          majority of them were like "nice tits" and a lot worse.

          I get an email from youtube when there is a comment, I read it, and if it's
          like the one above, I just delete it and that's it. I know this is not
          consistent with some people's philosophy about "free speech" or whatever,
          but, my feeling is I'm just not going to support that sort of thing.

          The Amanda video is about a talented artist. Of course there are people who
          are going to objectify her because of how she looks, discounting any her
          talent/skill. People (ok, men) do this all the time, and, maybe that's the
          way the world "is", but, it's not the way the Richard Show world is - my
          comment section on videos are not going to be a vehicle for that, so I'm
          deleting these immediately so long as I have the power to do so. Comments on
          my videos are a dictatorship - definitely a non-free speech zone ... if *I*,
          the high inquisitor of comments on my videos, find the comment offensive,
          non-constructive, or I just don't like the cut of their jib (whatever that
          means), then I delete it.

          ... Richard

          --
          Richard
          http://richardhhall.org

        • Rupert
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 2, 2007
            This is common on Youtube, unfortunately - as elsewhere on the
            web. It's one of the things that have kept so many videobloggers
            away from Youtube for so long. A lot of people (my no means the
            majority) find it fun to be nasty there, and there's no way of
            stopping them except to moderate and delete their comments. I can't
            understand why Youtube don't allow you to report a comment/commenter
            as inappropriate, as well as as spam - to help limit trolling. That
            they don't have comments set for Moderation by default is stupid as
            well. I really don't understand what people get out of it, but I
            guess they're unhappy and it gives them a sense of power to say
            something that they know will provoke a reaction.

            Having said that there are a lot of people on Youtube who make nice
            comments and nice video comments, and getting along and making
            friends with each other just fine. But issue posts draw scum like
            moths to a flame.

            I guess you didn't delete the comments because you didn't want to
            censor, or because you wanted to expose their attitudes. I
            personally would take the view that they are inappropriate for your
            post, that they're not reasoned arguments, that what they say is
            unacceptable... and that by letting them stand that they are adding
            fuel to a fire - and I'd set comments for Moderation, so that they
            wait until your approval or deletion - Youtube provides this service,
            why not use it? Don't give these people an outlet, or any more
            attention. And report them to Youtube.

            Rupert

            wrote:

            > I've been active on youtube over the last month and have had two
            of my
            > videos featured in the travel and places category, My Byron Bay vid
            > and my currently featured Canberra Story on the Aboriginal Tent
            Embassy.

            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abMlHjO2nh4
            >
            > I got to say I am sickened by the racist comments people have made
            > with regard to the Tent Embassy. I was going to wipe them all, but
            > decided against it.
            >
            > How have other people found the youtube 'community' Is this just
            > something I have to accept?
            >
            > Mark

          • Richard (Show) Hall
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 2, 2007
              I should point out that my experience is the same as Rupert's, in that there
              were nice and supportive comments on youtube and I left them. In my previous
              email, I made it sound like they were all negative, and that's not really
              true, though probably over half were pretty rude.

              Also, I think you can mark a comment at "spam" in youtube

              ... Richard

              On 8/2/07, Rupert <rupert@...> wrote:

              > This is common on Youtube, unfortunately - as elsewhere on the
              > web. It's one of the things that have kept so many videobloggers
              > away from Youtube for so long. A lot of people (my no means the
              > majority) find it fun to be nasty there, and there's no way of
              > stopping them except to moderate and delete their comments. I can't
              > understand why Youtube don't allow you to report a comment/commenter
              > as inappropriate, as well as as spam - to help limit trolling. That
              > they don't have comments set for Moderation by default is stupid as
              > well. I really don't understand what people get out of it, but I
              > guess they're unhappy and it gives them a sense of power to say
              > something that they know will provoke a reaction.
              >
              > Having said that there are a lot of people on Youtube who make nice
              > comments and nice video comments, and getting along and making
              > friends with each other just fine. But issue posts draw scum like
              > moths to a flame.
              >
              > I guess you didn't delete the comments because you didn't want to
              > censor, or because you wanted to expose their attitudes. I
              > personally would take the view that they are inappropriate for your
              > post, that they're not reasoned arguments, that what they say is
              > unacceptable... and that by letting them stand that they are adding
              > fuel to a fire - and I'd set comments for Moderation, so that they
              > wait until your approval or deletion - Youtube provides this service,
              > why not use it? Don't give these people an outlet, or any more
              > attention. And report them to Youtube.
              >
              > Rupert
              >
              > On 2 Aug 2007, at 16:20, terry.rendon wrote:
              >
              > Hello Mark,
              >
              > Just wondering why you decided not to delete the comments?
              >
              > Terry Rendon
              > http://www.terryannonline.com
              > "caminofilm" <caminofilm@...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > I've been active on youtube over the last month and have had two
              > of my
              > > videos featured in the travel and places category, My Byron Bay vid
              > > and my currently featured Canberra Story on the Aboriginal Tent
              > Embassy.
              > >
              > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abMlHjO2nh4
              > >
              > > I got to say I am sickened by the racist comments people have made
              > > with regard to the Tent Embassy. I was going to wipe them all, but
              > > decided against it.
              > >
              > > How have other people found the youtube 'community' Is this just
              > > something I have to accept?
              > >
              > > Mark

              Richard
              http://richardhhall.org
              Shows
              http://richardshow.org
              http://inspiredhealing.tv

            • Ed Smith
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 2, 2007
                Yes, I have 11 vids on youtube and I get my share of negative comments as
                well. Since I am in my 60s, the what I assume are young gentlemen, hone in
                on my age and looks as I am an easy target for those kind of comments. On
                the whole the comments are positive and the viewer numbers grows each day,
                and since I am a motivational speaker, I just remind myself that only wins
                count. OK thanks for bringing this issue up.

                Edward W. Smith Offer 2 Free life-coaching sessions with an experienced,
                reputable life coach to purchasers of your book or product, at no cost to
                you. A proven way to increase your product sales and offer a $250 value to
                your customers, with no catches. Contact Theresa Smith at 201-568-0019,
                email, tsmith@... or visit http://brightmoment.com/coaching.htm.

              • Rupert
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 2, 2007
                  King Richard: Shall I be plain? I wish the bastards dead;
                  And I would have it suddenly perform'd.

                  Shakespeare, The Tragedy of King Richard III, Act IV, Scene ii

                  GOD SAVE KING RICHARD!

                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 2, 2007
                    The other thing you can do to get rid of the trolls on YouTube is
                    just turn off comments and turn off ratings, and put a link to your
                    videoblog in the description so that people can go there and comment
                    if they want to. I'd bet any money you like that the nasty little
                    turds don't bother to go and comment on another site. They just do
                    it on Youtube because they're logged in already and all they have to
                    do is write some shit in a box and click send. I have turned my
                    comments on because I want to try to seek out the good conversations
                    on Youtube and connect with videobloggers and filmmakers there,
                    particularly in the UK (hence my pushing of the Youtube videoblogging
                    group this week).
                    But the moment nasty comments start bothering me, I'm going to turn
                    off comments and point over to twittervlog.tv
                    Rupert
                  • Kevin Buckstiegel
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 2, 2007
                      I too have been 'prepared' for the nasties since putting videos on
                      YouTube. I tend to watch a lot of the YouTube Drama Stars (heh) and
                      see the flood of negative and hurtful comments (known as from 'the
                      haters') constantly. So, being that I'm gay and have some videoblogs
                      about somethings related to that, I had to prepare myself. Knock on
                      wood, I've been pretty lucky and haven't got hit yet. But, from
                      watching how others handle it, I found that some believe that it is a
                      'no no' to delete the 'haters' comments. Either because they want it
                      there for evidence for the future (if needed) or because of the
                      equality of speech stuff. But there is always a fine line. Hard core
                      haters are now posting personal info (why? no clue other then to step
                      it up a notch). So, on other peoples accounts, they post another
                      persons address, phone number, etc. It should be common sense that
                      everyone deletes that type of information no matter if they done you
                      wrong or not.

                      Anyway, my point is, just be prepared... but don't take it personally.
                      It's your account/videos, so at the end of the day its your right to
                      delete or not delete the comments. My biggest thought is... where do
                      they get the time to make all these comments! If I could just have a
                      fraction of their wasted time!! There are a lot of good people on
                      there, so its definitely good to not get sidetracked by these 'kids'.

                      Kev!
                      http://www.limeblog.tv
                      http://www.youtube.com/limeblog

                      P.S. That is one thing I was always thankful for with this group of
                      people on here... for the most part, everyone has always had a open
                      mind and kind to one another (at least from what I've seen and
                      received in video comments)

                      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "caminofilm" <caminofilm@...> wrote:

                      > I've been active on youtube over the last month and have had two of my
                      > videos featured in the travel and places category, My Byron Bay vid
                      > and my currently featured Canberra Story on the Aboriginal Tent Embassy.
                      >
                      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abMlHjO2nh4
                      >
                      > I got to say I am sickened by the racist comments people have made
                      > with regard to the Tent Embassy. I was going to wipe them all, but
                      > decided against it.
                      >
                      > How have other people found the youtube 'community' Is this just
                      > something I have to accept?
                      >
                      > Mark

                    • Charles Iliya Krempeaux
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 2, 2007
                        Hello Richard,

                        On 8/2/07, Richard (Show) Hall <richard@...> wrote:

                        [...]

                        > My most popular video on you tube was one I made about Amanda Congdon.
                        >
                        > It is cool because it has about 30,000 views, which isn't very impressive by
                        > youtube standards, but very impressive by Richard Show standards
                        >
                        > On my vlog I got supporting and positive comments, and on you tube the
                        > majority of them were like "nice tits" and a lot worse.
                        >
                        > I get an email from youtube when there is a comment, I read it, and if it's
                        > like the one above, I just delete it and that's it. I know this is not
                        > consistent with some people's philosophy about "free speech" or whatever,
                        > but, my feeling is I'm just not going to support that sort of thing.

                        You've not violating Free Speech.

                        Free Speech... which is short for Freedom of Speech... is about not
                        using force against others for what they say.

                        This does NOT require you or anyone else to listen. Or even help them out.

                        You're not using force against them when you delete their comments...
                        so you;re not violating Free Speech.

                        (Note here... I'm talking about literal "Free Speech"... not the
                        "Right to Speech", in the USA, which because of unfortunate happenings
                        in history is mistakenly called the "Freedom of Speech".)

                        See ya

                        --
                        Charles Iliya Krempeaux, B.Sc. <http://ChangeLog.ca/>

                        Vlog Razor... Vlogging News
                        http://vlograzor.com/
                      • Gena
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 2, 2007
                          You have the right to set the tone and the environment for your videos
                          posts. You can moderate or delete hate-filled comments because there
                          will be one distinctive feature about them.

                          The intent is to cause hurt and pain. You are not removing another
                          another point of view or a personal illumination. The intent of the
                          comment is to hurt you/the video in a mean spirited manner.

                          These type of comments feel like the on-line equivalent of the bad
                          forms of Graffiti(in this case paint taggers.) Negative attention is
                          better than no attention at all.

                          This is different from someone who disagrees with you and uses one of
                          the seven dirty words to emphasis the depth of their disagreement.
                          I've let those stand if they have made a viable point.

                          You are not required to boost their little "petards" by allowing the
                          comments to stand and hurt others. You do no service to your viewers
                          who have watched the video, gained something from it and then have to
                          wade through the comment crap. Sane people will not do that.

                          Nuke 'em!

                          Gena
                          http://outonthestoop.blogspot.com

                          Word History: The French used p├ętard, "a loud discharge of intestinal
                          gas," for a kind of infernal engine for blasting through the gates of
                          a city. "To be hoist by one's own petard," a now proverbial phrase
                          apparently originating with Shakespeare's Hamlet (around 1604) not
                          long after the word entered English (around 1598), means "to blow
                          oneself up with one's own bomb, be undone by one's own devices."

                          http://www.thefreedictionary.com

                          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "caminofilm" <caminofilm@...> wrote:

                          > I've been active on youtube over the last month and have had two of my
                          > videos featured in the travel and places category, My Byron Bay vid
                          > and my currently featured Canberra Story on the Aboriginal Tent Embassy.
                          >
                          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abMlHjO2nh4
                          >
                          > I got to say I am sickened by the racist comments people have made
                          > with regard to the Tent Embassy. I was going to wipe them all, but
                          > decided against it.
                          >
                          > How have other people found the youtube 'community' Is this just
                          > something I have to accept?
                          >
                          > Mark

                        • Rupert
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 4, 2007
                            Well, further to our discussion about Haters on Youtube - sure
                            enough, I posted a video yesterday that got a few hundred views and I
                            got a really nasty comment from someone with an anonymous account who
                            just wanted to insult anyone who posts a video. I nuked it, and
                            blocked him, but I couldn't find the delete button in my brain.
                            Feature request.

                            For me, the solution is to disable comments totally on videos where I
                            appear. If it's a video of something else, fine - but I don't want
                            to court personal abuse. I had enough of that at school from the
                            seniors who were in charge of our dormitories, thank you very much.
                            That's what it took me back to.

                            I'm tacking 'talk to me @..." onto the end of all my
                            videos now - knowing that these idiots won't make the effort to abuse
                            anyone on another site. It's a limitation to developing
                            conversations and connections on YouTube, but not a dealbreaker.
                            It's as good a compromise as I can find at the moment.

                            I also wrote to one of the two guys who started Youtube - the tech
                            guy, Steve Chen - asking him to add a "Mark as inappropriate" link
                            alongside the "Mark as spam" link in the Comments section, so that
                            serial Haters could get tracked and deleted. At present, there's no
                            comeback. I'm sure this would make a lot of people more comfortable
                            about using YouTube, since that seems to be a big concern to
                            videobloggers - how do any of you feel?

                            Rupert
                            http://twittervlog.tv/
                            http://feeds.feedburner.com/twittervlog/
                          • pepa
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 4, 2007
                              youtube must change its TOS (i.r.w. licences). that makes me uncomfortable
                              as videoblogger (plus the pixels thing and the interface, etc.).
                              love

                              On 8/4/07, Rupert <rupert@...> wrote:

                              > Well, further to our discussion about Haters on Youtube - sure
                              > enough, I posted a video yesterday that got a few hundred views and I
                              > got a really nasty comment from someone with an anonymous account who
                              > just wanted to insult anyone who posts a video. I nuked it, and
                              > blocked him, but I couldn't find the delete button in my brain.
                              > Feature request.
                              >
                              > For me, the solution is to disable comments totally on videos where I
                              > appear. If it's a video of something else, fine - but I don't want
                              > to court personal abuse. I had enough of that at school from the
                              > seniors who were in charge of our dormitories, thank you very much.
                              > That's what it took me back to.
                              >
                              > I'm tacking 'talk to me @..." onto the end of all my
                              > videos now - knowing that these idiots won't make the effort to abuse
                              > anyone on another site. It's a limitation to developing
                              > conversations and connections on YouTube, but not a dealbreaker.
                              > It's as good a compromise as I can find at the moment.
                              >
                              > I also wrote to one of the two guys who started Youtube - the tech
                              > guy, Steve Chen - asking him to add a "Mark as inappropriate" link
                              > alongside the "Mark as spam" link in the Comments section, so that
                              > serial Haters could get tracked and deleted. At present, there's no
                              > comeback. I'm sure this would make a lot of people more comfortable
                              > about using YouTube, since that seems to be a big concern to
                              > videobloggers - how do any of you feel?
                              >
                              > Rupert
                              > http://twittervlog.tv/
                              > http://feeds.feedburner.com/twittervlog/

                              --
                              http://pepa.tv

                            • Eric Rice
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 4, 2007
                                Kinda wish YouTube would remember default preferences. I set to
                                moderate everything.. If I make a mistake in the form before I go to
                                post, when it reloads the page, it resets the preferences. That's bad
                                design. I don't want useless comments and moderation helps that.

                                Ah, the door to Oz is open. On the other side is the rest of the world
                                and it proves the I.F.Theory. :)

                                ER

                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 4, 2007
                                  Yeah, I know - that sucks, doesn't it? Default preferences... how
                                  easy would that be?
                                  And to have it for mobile upload, like Blip, would be even better.
                                  But I doubt it'll happen.

                                  Anyway, you said "it proves the I.F.Theory"? I'm lost :) As in
                                  "Interactive fiction"?

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 5, 2007
                                    --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Rupert <rupert@...> wrote:

                                    > Anyway, you said "it proves the I.F.Theory"? I'm lost :) As in
                                    > "Interactive fiction"?

                                    No, I was trying not to write: "John Gabriel's Greater Internet
                                    Fuckwad Theory" as illustrated here:

                                    http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

                                    It's scalable, especially if you perform on camera. If it's public,
                                    it's showbiz.

                                    I'm going back to bed.

                                    ER