Welcome to Youtube - racist comments

  • caminofilm
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 2, 2007
      I've been active on youtube over the last month and have had two of my
      videos featured in the travel and places category, My Byron Bay vid
      and my currently featured Canberra Story on the Aboriginal Tent Embassy.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abMlHjO2nh4

      I got to say I am sickened by the racist comments people have made
      with regard to the Tent Embassy. I was going to wipe them all, but
      decided against it.

      How have other people found the youtube 'community' Is this just
      something I have to accept?

      Mark
    • terry.rendon
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 2, 2007
        Hello Mark,

        Just wondering why you decided not to delete the comments?

        Terry Rendon
        http://www.terryannonline.com
        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "caminofilm" <caminofilm@...>
        wrote:

        > I've been active on youtube over the last month and have had two of my
        > videos featured in the travel and places category, My Byron Bay vid
        > and my currently featured Canberra Story on the Aboriginal Tent
        Embassy.

        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abMlHjO2nh4
        >
        > I got to say I am sickened by the racist comments people have made
        > with regard to the Tent Embassy. I was going to wipe them all, but
        > decided against it.
        >
        > How have other people found the youtube 'community' Is this just
        > something I have to accept?
        >
        > Mark

      • Mark Shea
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 2, 2007
          Hi Terry

          I posted this comment 3 days ago:

          I'm a bit disappointed with some of the racist comments people have made with regard to my video. I could remove them, but I won't, because I think many are indicative of race relations in Australia. I accept and give credence to the democratic nature of youtube, where everyone has the right to comment, but ask that people think about whether they would be willing to make their comments, in front of a group of Aboriginal AFL footballers?
          It is easy to be brave behind the safety of a keyboard.

          I think people need to stand by what they say, I notice some of these racists seem to be trollers, posting such comments in various places.

          I wonder if we will ever see a defamation case on youtube? We don't have the same 'freedom of speech' amendment here in Oz.

          Mark

          "terry.rendon" <terry.rendon@...> wrote: Hello Mark,

          wrote:

          > I've been active on youtube over the last month and have had two of my
          > videos featured in the travel and places category, My Byron Bay vid
          > and my currently featured Canberra Story on the Aboriginal Tent
          Embassy.

          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abMlHjO2nh4
          >
          > I got to say I am sickened by the racist comments people have made
          > with regard to the Tent Embassy. I was going to wipe them all, but
          > decided against it.
          >
          > How have other people found the youtube 'community' Is this just
          > something I have to accept?
          >
          > Mark

        • Richard (Show) Hall
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 2, 2007
            Mark,

            Yes, this is common in my experience, and I would say just delete them.

            My personal opinion is that the advantages of exposing these sorts of
            things, is out-weighed by the disadvantage of giving these people a
            platform.

            My most popular video on you tube was one I made about Amanda Congdon.

            It is cool because it has about 30,000 views, which isn't very impressive by
            youtube standards, but very impressive by Richard Show standards

            On my vlog I got supporting and positive comments, and on you tube the
            majority of them were like "nice tits" and a lot worse.

            I get an email from youtube when there is a comment, I read it, and if it's
            like the one above, I just delete it and that's it. I know this is not
            consistent with some people's philosophy about "free speech" or whatever,
            but, my feeling is I'm just not going to support that sort of thing.

            The Amanda video is about a talented artist. Of course there are people who
            are going to objectify her because of how she looks, discounting any her
            talent/skill. People (ok, men) do this all the time, and, maybe that's the
            way the world "is", but, it's not the way the Richard Show world is - my
            comment section on videos are not going to be a vehicle for that, so I'm
            deleting these immediately so long as I have the power to do so. Comments on
            my videos are a dictatorship - definitely a non-free speech zone ... if *I*,
            the high inquisitor of comments on my videos, find the comment offensive,
            non-constructive, or I just don't like the cut of their jib (whatever that
            means), then I delete it.

            ... Richard

            --
            Richard
            http://richardhhall.org

          • Rupert
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 2, 2007
              This is common on Youtube, unfortunately - as elsewhere on the
              web. It's one of the things that have kept so many videobloggers
              away from Youtube for so long. A lot of people (my no means the
              majority) find it fun to be nasty there, and there's no way of
              stopping them except to moderate and delete their comments. I can't
              understand why Youtube don't allow you to report a comment/commenter
              as inappropriate, as well as as spam - to help limit trolling. That
              they don't have comments set for Moderation by default is stupid as
              well. I really don't understand what people get out of it, but I
              guess they're unhappy and it gives them a sense of power to say
              something that they know will provoke a reaction.

              Having said that there are a lot of people on Youtube who make nice
              comments and nice video comments, and getting along and making
              friends with each other just fine. But issue posts draw scum like
              moths to a flame.

              I guess you didn't delete the comments because you didn't want to
              censor, or because you wanted to expose their attitudes. I
              personally would take the view that they are inappropriate for your
              post, that they're not reasoned arguments, that what they say is
              unacceptable... and that by letting them stand that they are adding
              fuel to a fire - and I'd set comments for Moderation, so that they
              wait until your approval or deletion - Youtube provides this service,
              why not use it? Don't give these people an outlet, or any more
              attention. And report them to Youtube.

              Rupert

              wrote:

              > I've been active on youtube over the last month and have had two
              of my
              > videos featured in the travel and places category, My Byron Bay vid
              > and my currently featured Canberra Story on the Aboriginal Tent
              Embassy.

              > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abMlHjO2nh4
              >
              > I got to say I am sickened by the racist comments people have made
              > with regard to the Tent Embassy. I was going to wipe them all, but
              > decided against it.
              >
              > How have other people found the youtube 'community' Is this just
              > something I have to accept?
              >
              > Mark

            • Richard (Show) Hall
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 2, 2007
                I should point out that my experience is the same as Rupert's, in that there
                were nice and supportive comments on youtube and I left them. In my previous
                email, I made it sound like they were all negative, and that's not really
                true, though probably over half were pretty rude.

                Also, I think you can mark a comment at "spam" in youtube

                ... Richard

                On 8/2/07, Rupert <rupert@...> wrote:

                > This is common on Youtube, unfortunately - as elsewhere on the
                > web. It's one of the things that have kept so many videobloggers
                > away from Youtube for so long. A lot of people (my no means the
                > majority) find it fun to be nasty there, and there's no way of
                > stopping them except to moderate and delete their comments. I can't
                > understand why Youtube don't allow you to report a comment/commenter
                > as inappropriate, as well as as spam - to help limit trolling. That
                > they don't have comments set for Moderation by default is stupid as
                > well. I really don't understand what people get out of it, but I
                > guess they're unhappy and it gives them a sense of power to say
                > something that they know will provoke a reaction.
                >
                > Having said that there are a lot of people on Youtube who make nice
                > comments and nice video comments, and getting along and making
                > friends with each other just fine. But issue posts draw scum like
                > moths to a flame.
                >
                > I guess you didn't delete the comments because you didn't want to
                > censor, or because you wanted to expose their attitudes. I
                > personally would take the view that they are inappropriate for your
                > post, that they're not reasoned arguments, that what they say is
                > unacceptable... and that by letting them stand that they are adding
                > fuel to a fire - and I'd set comments for Moderation, so that they
                > wait until your approval or deletion - Youtube provides this service,
                > why not use it? Don't give these people an outlet, or any more
                > attention. And report them to Youtube.
                >
                > Rupert
                >
                > On 2 Aug 2007, at 16:20, terry.rendon wrote:
                >
                > Hello Mark,
                >
                > Just wondering why you decided not to delete the comments?
                >
                > Terry Rendon
                > http://www.terryannonline.com
                > "caminofilm" <caminofilm@...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > I've been active on youtube over the last month and have had two
                > of my
                > > videos featured in the travel and places category, My Byron Bay vid
                > > and my currently featured Canberra Story on the Aboriginal Tent
                > Embassy.
                > >
                > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abMlHjO2nh4
                > >
                > > I got to say I am sickened by the racist comments people have made
                > > with regard to the Tent Embassy. I was going to wipe them all, but
                > > decided against it.
                > >
                > > How have other people found the youtube 'community' Is this just
                > > something I have to accept?
                > >
                > > Mark

                Richard
                http://richardhhall.org
                Shows
                http://richardshow.org
                http://inspiredhealing.tv

              • Ed Smith
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 2, 2007
                  Yes, I have 11 vids on youtube and I get my share of negative comments as
                  well. Since I am in my 60s, the what I assume are young gentlemen, hone in
                  on my age and looks as I am an easy target for those kind of comments. On
                  the whole the comments are positive and the viewer numbers grows each day,
                  and since I am a motivational speaker, I just remind myself that only wins
                  count. OK thanks for bringing this issue up.

                  Edward W. Smith Offer 2 Free life-coaching sessions with an experienced,
                  reputable life coach to purchasers of your book or product, at no cost to
                  you. A proven way to increase your product sales and offer a $250 value to
                  your customers, with no catches. Contact Theresa Smith at 201-568-0019,
                  email, tsmith@... or visit http://brightmoment.com/coaching.htm.

                • Rupert
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 2, 2007
                    King Richard: Shall I be plain? I wish the bastards dead;
                    And I would have it suddenly perform'd.

                    Shakespeare, The Tragedy of King Richard III, Act IV, Scene ii

                    GOD SAVE KING RICHARD!

                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 2, 2007
                      The other thing you can do to get rid of the trolls on YouTube is
                      just turn off comments and turn off ratings, and put a link to your
                      videoblog in the description so that people can go there and comment
                      if they want to. I'd bet any money you like that the nasty little
                      turds don't bother to go and comment on another site. They just do
                      it on Youtube because they're logged in already and all they have to
                      do is write some shit in a box and click send. I have turned my
                      comments on because I want to try to seek out the good conversations
                      on Youtube and connect with videobloggers and filmmakers there,
                      particularly in the UK (hence my pushing of the Youtube videoblogging
                      group this week).
                      But the moment nasty comments start bothering me, I'm going to turn
                      off comments and point over to twittervlog.tv
                      Rupert
                    • Kevin Buckstiegel
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 2, 2007
                        I too have been 'prepared' for the nasties since putting videos on
                        YouTube. I tend to watch a lot of the YouTube Drama Stars (heh) and
                        see the flood of negative and hurtful comments (known as from 'the
                        haters') constantly. So, being that I'm gay and have some videoblogs
                        about somethings related to that, I had to prepare myself. Knock on
                        wood, I've been pretty lucky and haven't got hit yet. But, from
                        watching how others handle it, I found that some believe that it is a
                        'no no' to delete the 'haters' comments. Either because they want it
                        there for evidence for the future (if needed) or because of the
                        equality of speech stuff. But there is always a fine line. Hard core
                        haters are now posting personal info (why? no clue other then to step
                        it up a notch). So, on other peoples accounts, they post another
                        persons address, phone number, etc. It should be common sense that
                        everyone deletes that type of information no matter if they done you
                        wrong or not.

                        Anyway, my point is, just be prepared... but don't take it personally.
                        It's your account/videos, so at the end of the day its your right to
                        delete or not delete the comments. My biggest thought is... where do
                        they get the time to make all these comments! If I could just have a
                        fraction of their wasted time!! There are a lot of good people on
                        there, so its definitely good to not get sidetracked by these 'kids'.

                        Kev!
                        http://www.limeblog.tv
                        http://www.youtube.com/limeblog

                        P.S. That is one thing I was always thankful for with this group of
                        people on here... for the most part, everyone has always had a open
                        mind and kind to one another (at least from what I've seen and
                        received in video comments)

                        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "caminofilm" <caminofilm@...> wrote:

                        > I've been active on youtube over the last month and have had two of my
                        > videos featured in the travel and places category, My Byron Bay vid
                        > and my currently featured Canberra Story on the Aboriginal Tent Embassy.
                        >
                        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abMlHjO2nh4
                        >
                        > I got to say I am sickened by the racist comments people have made
                        > with regard to the Tent Embassy. I was going to wipe them all, but
                        > decided against it.
                        >
                        > How have other people found the youtube 'community' Is this just
                        > something I have to accept?
                        >
                        > Mark

                      • Charles Iliya Krempeaux
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 2, 2007
                          Hello Richard,

                          On 8/2/07, Richard (Show) Hall <richard@...> wrote:

                          [...]

                          > My most popular video on you tube was one I made about Amanda Congdon.
                          >
                          > It is cool because it has about 30,000 views, which isn't very impressive by
                          > youtube standards, but very impressive by Richard Show standards
                          >
                          > On my vlog I got supporting and positive comments, and on you tube the
                          > majority of them were like "nice tits" and a lot worse.
                          >
                          > I get an email from youtube when there is a comment, I read it, and if it's
                          > like the one above, I just delete it and that's it. I know this is not
                          > consistent with some people's philosophy about "free speech" or whatever,
                          > but, my feeling is I'm just not going to support that sort of thing.

                          You've not violating Free Speech.

                          Free Speech... which is short for Freedom of Speech... is about not
                          using force against others for what they say.

                          This does NOT require you or anyone else to listen. Or even help them out.

                          You're not using force against them when you delete their comments...
                          so you;re not violating Free Speech.

                          (Note here... I'm talking about literal "Free Speech"... not the
                          "Right to Speech", in the USA, which because of unfortunate happenings
                          in history is mistakenly called the "Freedom of Speech".)

                          See ya

                          --
                          Charles Iliya Krempeaux, B.Sc. <http://ChangeLog.ca/>

                          Vlog Razor... Vlogging News
                          http://vlograzor.com/
                        • Gena
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 2, 2007
                            You have the right to set the tone and the environment for your videos
                            posts. You can moderate or delete hate-filled comments because there
                            will be one distinctive feature about them.

                            The intent is to cause hurt and pain. You are not removing another
                            another point of view or a personal illumination. The intent of the
                            comment is to hurt you/the video in a mean spirited manner.

                            These type of comments feel like the on-line equivalent of the bad
                            forms of Graffiti(in this case paint taggers.) Negative attention is
                            better than no attention at all.

                            This is different from someone who disagrees with you and uses one of
                            the seven dirty words to emphasis the depth of their disagreement.
                            I've let those stand if they have made a viable point.

                            You are not required to boost their little "petards" by allowing the
                            comments to stand and hurt others. You do no service to your viewers
                            who have watched the video, gained something from it and then have to
                            wade through the comment crap. Sane people will not do that.

                            Nuke 'em!

                            Gena
                            http://outonthestoop.blogspot.com

                            Word History: The French used p├ętard, "a loud discharge of intestinal
                            gas," for a kind of infernal engine for blasting through the gates of
                            a city. "To be hoist by one's own petard," a now proverbial phrase
                            apparently originating with Shakespeare's Hamlet (around 1604) not
                            long after the word entered English (around 1598), means "to blow
                            oneself up with one's own bomb, be undone by one's own devices."

                            http://www.thefreedictionary.com

                            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "caminofilm" <caminofilm@...> wrote:

                            > I've been active on youtube over the last month and have had two of my
                            > videos featured in the travel and places category, My Byron Bay vid
                            > and my currently featured Canberra Story on the Aboriginal Tent Embassy.
                            >
                            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abMlHjO2nh4
                            >
                            > I got to say I am sickened by the racist comments people have made
                            > with regard to the Tent Embassy. I was going to wipe them all, but
                            > decided against it.
                            >
                            > How have other people found the youtube 'community' Is this just
                            > something I have to accept?
                            >
                            > Mark

                          • Rupert
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 4, 2007
                              Well, further to our discussion about Haters on Youtube - sure
                              enough, I posted a video yesterday that got a few hundred views and I
                              got a really nasty comment from someone with an anonymous account who
                              just wanted to insult anyone who posts a video. I nuked it, and
                              blocked him, but I couldn't find the delete button in my brain.
                              Feature request.

                              For me, the solution is to disable comments totally on videos where I
                              appear. If it's a video of something else, fine - but I don't want
                              to court personal abuse. I had enough of that at school from the
                              seniors who were in charge of our dormitories, thank you very much.
                              That's what it took me back to.

                              I'm tacking 'talk to me @..." onto the end of all my
                              videos now - knowing that these idiots won't make the effort to abuse
                              anyone on another site. It's a limitation to developing
                              conversations and connections on YouTube, but not a dealbreaker.
                              It's as good a compromise as I can find at the moment.

                              I also wrote to one of the two guys who started Youtube - the tech
                              guy, Steve Chen - asking him to add a "Mark as inappropriate" link
                              alongside the "Mark as spam" link in the Comments section, so that
                              serial Haters could get tracked and deleted. At present, there's no
                              comeback. I'm sure this would make a lot of people more comfortable
                              about using YouTube, since that seems to be a big concern to
                              videobloggers - how do any of you feel?

                              Rupert
                              http://twittervlog.tv/
                              http://feeds.feedburner.com/twittervlog/
                            • pepa
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 4, 2007
                                youtube must change its TOS (i.r.w. licences). that makes me uncomfortable
                                as videoblogger (plus the pixels thing and the interface, etc.).
                                love

                                On 8/4/07, Rupert <rupert@...> wrote:

                                > Well, further to our discussion about Haters on Youtube - sure
                                > enough, I posted a video yesterday that got a few hundred views and I
                                > got a really nasty comment from someone with an anonymous account who
                                > just wanted to insult anyone who posts a video. I nuked it, and
                                > blocked him, but I couldn't find the delete button in my brain.
                                > Feature request.
                                >
                                > For me, the solution is to disable comments totally on videos where I
                                > appear. If it's a video of something else, fine - but I don't want
                                > to court personal abuse. I had enough of that at school from the
                                > seniors who were in charge of our dormitories, thank you very much.
                                > That's what it took me back to.
                                >
                                > I'm tacking 'talk to me @..." onto the end of all my
                                > videos now - knowing that these idiots won't make the effort to abuse
                                > anyone on another site. It's a limitation to developing
                                > conversations and connections on YouTube, but not a dealbreaker.
                                > It's as good a compromise as I can find at the moment.
                                >
                                > I also wrote to one of the two guys who started Youtube - the tech
                                > guy, Steve Chen - asking him to add a "Mark as inappropriate" link
                                > alongside the "Mark as spam" link in the Comments section, so that
                                > serial Haters could get tracked and deleted. At present, there's no
                                > comeback. I'm sure this would make a lot of people more comfortable
                                > about using YouTube, since that seems to be a big concern to
                                > videobloggers - how do any of you feel?
                                >
                                > Rupert
                                > http://twittervlog.tv/
                                > http://feeds.feedburner.com/twittervlog/

                                --
                                http://pepa.tv

                              • Eric Rice
                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 4, 2007
                                  Kinda wish YouTube would remember default preferences. I set to
                                  moderate everything.. If I make a mistake in the form before I go to
                                  post, when it reloads the page, it resets the preferences. That's bad
                                  design. I don't want useless comments and moderation helps that.

                                  Ah, the door to Oz is open. On the other side is the rest of the world
                                  and it proves the I.F.Theory. :)

                                  ER

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 4, 2007
                                    Yeah, I know - that sucks, doesn't it? Default preferences... how
                                    easy would that be?
                                    And to have it for mobile upload, like Blip, would be even better.
                                    But I doubt it'll happen.

                                    Anyway, you said "it proves the I.F.Theory"? I'm lost :) As in
                                    "Interactive fiction"?

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Aug 5, 2007
                                      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Rupert <rupert@...> wrote:

                                      > Anyway, you said "it proves the I.F.Theory"? I'm lost :) As in
                                      > "Interactive fiction"?

                                      No, I was trying not to write: "John Gabriel's Greater Internet
                                      Fuckwad Theory" as illustrated here:

                                      http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

                                      It's scalable, especially if you perform on camera. If it's public,
                                      it's showbiz.

                                      I'm going back to bed.

                                      ER